As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So the [Duel of Champions] CCG is pretty fun.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    It's the max might/magic/resource levels required to play any card in the deck.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Neat advice.

I don't possess a demon hero that isn't Xorm though. Honestly the deck is just the cards that dropped in my box.

• Options
    mogonkmogonk Registered User regular
    Selecta wrote: »
    mogonk wrote: »
    It's 4/4/1, but you can coast on 4/2/1
    This right here, what does it mean? I've been seeing numbers like that in decklist descriptions but I have no idea what it stands for.

Oh, it's just your attribute distribution. Might/Magic/Fortune. The thing to understand is that raising an attribute comes with the tradeoff of not being able to draw an extra card. So it's not just that your 6 costed fatty comes out slow, it's that he's costing you card advantage. There is basically no "serious" deck that runs more than 4 might. Some factions can get away with 3 might, notably Haven. More than 4 magic/fortune is pretty rare, but some decks do it.

To translate what I said about the I-Rush deck, you can bump might to 4 to get your best creatures out but leave magic at 2 for most of the game. The reason is that from 2 magic you can bump it at the top of the turn for Town Portal if necessary, and you have a good chance of knowing a turn in advance when you're going to need Fireball so you can bump twice and cast on the second turn. Since those two spells are the only 3+ magic reqs in the deck, you can safely play the majority of most games at 4/2/1 which lets you start drawing cards earlier.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Where do these codes go? Not seeing anywhere to put them in on the iApp.

A bit miffed that I was forced to make my starter deck choice blind of any info beyond a picture and a name. I tapped Haven expecting to get a bit of further description and a choice confirmation. Nope. Best hope I like Haven then.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Where do these codes go? Not seeing anywhere to put them in on the iApp.

Buddy had problems with the iApp too. Worked instantly in the Windows version. There's a Redeem Code button in the card store.

Echo on
  • Options
    Ah yes, I can barely see it because it is greyed out. Guess I need to level up some or something.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    SelectaSelecta Registered User regular
    Selecta wrote: »
    It's 4/4/1, but you can coast on 4/2/1
    This right here, what does it mean? I've been seeing numbers like that in decklist descriptions but I have no idea what it stands for.

Oh, it's just your attribute distribution. Might/Magic/Fortune. The thing to understand is that raising an attribute comes with the tradeoff of not being able to draw an extra card. So it's not just that your 6 costed fatty comes out slow, it's that he's costing you card advantage. There is basically no "serious" deck that runs more than 4 might. Some factions can get away with 3 might, notably Haven. More than 4 magic/fortune is pretty rare, but some decks do it.

To translate what I said about the I-Rush deck, you can bump might to 4 to get your best creatures out but leave magic at 2 for most of the game. The reason is that from 2 magic you can bump it at the top of the turn for Town Portal if necessary, and you have a good chance of knowing a turn in advance when you're going to need Fireball so you can bump twice and cast on the second turn. Since those two spells are the only 3+ magic reqs in the deck, you can safely play the majority of most games at 4/2/1 which lets you start drawing cards earlier.

Ok that makes perfect sense, thank you. Also that deck is bad ass. I just built it, with the exception of a few cards that I haven't gotten yet and it is a blast to play. There are so many neat combat tricks and it's aggressive as hell. I usually play some kind of aggro deck in Magic, so this is right up my alley.

MNWGRdm.png
    PSN: Hellcore- Steam MWO: Hellcore
  • Options
    K, so fiddling with my Haven deck trying to make something that'd work for decent rush kinda thing. I currently have:

Cassandra 4/4/3 (so 7 turns max, I'd like to have better starting might but my other Haven is Sandalphon who doesn't even have the advantage of early fortune).

1x Week of Taxes
    2x Week of Knowledge
    3x Celebrations
    2x Day of Fortune

4x Imperial Sentinel
    2x Tithe collector
    1x Dark assassin
    4x Loyal Griffon
    1x Expert Marksman
    4x Wild Griffon
    4x Sea Elf Archer
    4x Radiant Glory
    4x Sun Rider
    4x Lesser Air elemental
    2x Warrior Seraph (wish I had more of these, they seem really great)
    1x Imperial Griffon

3x Stormwind
    4x Sunburst
    3x Torando

1x Fortified Outpost
    3x Campfire
    1x River of Gems

Will be putting it through some play tests to see how it performs in general. I feel I need to trim the creatures a bit in terms of variety. Plus I want some of those town portal things to give me easy early damage.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Neither of your heroes would be able to cast Town Portal, so don't sweat not having any.

• Options
    K, I'm just gonna spam premium heroics for a bit (gotta get dat foil). I think I saw a sabertooth on one of the handprint guys hero cards. So I want that one on the basis of sabertooth being equally as cool as griffon spam.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    1x Dark assassin

I hate you so much right now.

More constructively, I would suggest using Sandalphon instead of Cassandra and dropping the fortunes entirely if you're going for a rush deck. Campfire won't come out fast enough for the 1 mana to matter all that much and Sandalphon's ability (discard for 2 mana) is great for fast low cost decks. He also has access to better removal, like Geyser, etc.

mogonk on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Seeing a first turn dark assassin is just hate. Pure hate.

But at least now I know why mogonk is jelly :p

• Options
    Dark Assassin's good? I just kinda chucked it in there.

• Options
    Spent an evening playing but I'm afraid I'm not feeling it.

The base game is alright but not madly grabbing me, and the cash grab of non tradable cards is too obvious.

On the plus side it has somewhat slapped my Hex boner down so will help me keep my expectations for that in check!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Currently 3-0 with my noobie deck against actual people. Sweet. ZOMBIES EVERYWHERE

Do we have a hex thread? Someone should make that thread.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Is..is hex out?

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Is..is hex out?
    No, but kickstarter is.

The ai in this game beats me more often than other players seem to. I should work on another deck besides my starter.

Anyone know which card packs/boosters are the best ones to save for?

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Is..is hex out?
    No, but kickstarter is.

The ai in this game beats me more often than other players seem to. I should work on another deck besides my starter.

Worth noting if you put in the bonus codes in this thread you probably have enough seals to get a free box of cards.

That'll jump start your collection somewhat.

• Options
    TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Is..is hex out?
    No, but kickstarter is.

You want to spend seals on the box and gold on Reinforcement Packs

is what I've been told

TannerMS on
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Once you've done that save up for the Hero packs?

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    Any idea if they're planning on implementing draft? That's all I play of MTG anymore.

GxewS.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Dark Assassin's good? I just kinda chucked it in there.
    It's one of the best cards in the game, hands down the best 2-drop for almost any deck....and it can be used in ANY deck. It's also "epic" rarity...I've never found one in 60-70 packs.
    The ai in this game beats me more often than other players seem to.
    Keep playing. As your rating goes up the level of competition scales dramatically. Without a very solid deck and some skill you won't get past 800.
    TannerMS wrote: »
    You want to spend seals on the box and gold on Reinforcement Packs

is what I've been told
    To start with, yes. Once your basic collection is fleshed out you can switch to heroic packs if you want, since they have the same amount of rares/epics as reinforcements, just fewer commons (which you'll already have too many of), and that will let you build more deck types.

mogonk on
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    CmdPrompt wrote: »
    Any idea if they're planning on implementing draft? That's all I play of MTG anymore.

This is actually one of the least draft-friendly online CCGs I've ever seen, so I doubt it'll be around soon.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Wait there's like, 6 boxes. Which box? "The Box" or like, The void Rising Box, or what? Holy crap confused.

• Options
    Wait there's like, 6 boxes. Which box? "The Box" or like, The void Rising Box, or what? Holy crap confused.

Void Rising packs can't be bought with gold, only seals (currently), so if you need Void Rising cards that's the one to buy. If not, the regular box.

There's a list of cards from the VR expansion here.

• Options
    ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    I got one of those Dark Assassin thingies in like my 10th pack.

• Options
    SelectaSelecta Registered User regular
    Ive probably opened 50 packs and haven't seen a dark assassin yet

MNWGRdm.png
    PSN: Hellcore- Steam MWO: Hellcore
  • Options
    So uh... if this game had trading I'd be pretty minted?

Neat.

• Options
    Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    Spent an evening playing but I'm afraid I'm not feeling it.

The base game is alright but not madly grabbing me, and the cash grab of non tradable cards is too obvious.

On the plus side it has somewhat slapped my Hex boner down so will help me keep my expectations for that in check!

Just saw this thread and thought, hey something to do while waiting for Hex, then I read this.

I prefer to keep my Hex boner! Also, add my vote for a Hex thread.

• Options
    Hex Boner is the most horrific mental image.

• Options
    datac0redatac0re Registered User regular
    I've put a few hours into this and it is pretty fun, but am I correct in saying there's absolutely no way to get a specific card that you might need for a deck other than just grinding game after game for gold to open packs and hope for the best? That really puts a damper on the fun factor.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Wow. A shitheel player that had me at one health, so I said GG.

He kept filling slots for another two turns and I had no cards out and he could just kill me at any time.

So I just went and made me some tea while he had his fun waiting for my timer.

Echo on
  • Options
    I had a guy do that. It's just a dick move. If you can win you take the move, end of.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Enemy popped Death Seal on one of my 3/3/6 heavy hitters. I knew he'd kill it the next round (Death Seal = kill target creature as soon as it takes combat damage)

So I played Pao Deathseeker. It took out some cheap junk, and then sat there. First part of the plan.

Then I drop goddamn Blood Caller. I sacrifice Pao Deathseeker (that I would have lost at the end of the turn anyway) and my Death Seal'd guy.

Result:
    bloodcaller.jpg

Echo on
  • Options
    Death Seal fucking pisses me off by the way. That card just feels stupid good.

• Options
    datac0re wrote: »
    I've put a few hours into this and it is pretty fun, but am I correct in saying there's absolutely no way to get a specific card that you might need for a deck other than just grinding game after game for gold to open packs and hope for the best? That really puts a damper on the fun factor.

Correct on both counts.

• Options
    Yeah, I'd consider throwing money at DoC, but with both Hearthstone and Hex being on the horizon, combined with the complete lack of trading in DoC and I think I'll just play DoC until I feel I've hit the paywall.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    I wanna try Card Hunter out.

As for Duel of Champions, I can see the appeal, but it's pretty obvious if you want to play long term there's going to be a serious monetary investment to stay competitive.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    I wanna try Card Hunter out.

glance at screen

mentally swap C and H

Echo's brain, ladies and gentlemen

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »