As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MMOTCG: [Hex: Shards of Fate] Ladder System Incoming!

SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGamingRegistered User regular
edited May 2016 in Games and Technology
5/27: https://www.hextcg.com/hex-update-ladder-is-coming/

April 13th Update: If you haven't logged in in a while, make sure you login once before May 10th to be sure your account is not deleted. German privacy laws! Fun times.

PvE is here! Currently on Set 3, Adventure Zone 1.
http://hextcg.com/
Players in Right now!

i-ZRD5Mnv-950x10000.jpg

Who and why do I care?
Hex is an MMO TCG being kickstarted by Cryptozoic Entertainment. Previously, they created the World of Warcraft TCG, the Walking Dead card game, a few Penny Arcade games (Gamers Vs. Evil, Rumble in R'lyeh, the iOS deckbuilder Gamers Vs. Evil, etc) and more! They want this to become the worlds first MMO TCG. You'll design a hero and do card battle across the lands, levelling up your hero and getting new cards to carefully craft that deck. Even go on raids!

cdf1005f9a75d8f29ec46139311535e8_large.jpg?1363308494

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SfOfGvkdzlI

FEATURES

-Over 350 Cards in the first set

-Socketed cards. Add gems and gear to your cards to customize them.

3bf687e49ff4a3755b71e7cb08fd96d7_large.jpg?1363319525

-Double backs! Your cards have more than one back. Thanks to the internet, we can now fuck physics right off.
Flip your card and see its back, flip it again and see the DOUBLE BACK; each double back features 3 card achievements (unlock them all to transform the card into an “extended art” version), a leveling bar (fill it to transform the card into a foil variant), a trophy case (earn trophies using the card in a tournament-winning deck), and other card-specific information.

5b58add9905b2948e49b5a97ba76fad2_large.png?1367891575

- Buy and sell cards, gear, and other in-game rewards in a robust and fully featured AUCTION HOUSE

A full player economy will allow you to trade and sell your gear and cards as you build the ultimate collection.

FAQ:
But..how much will this run you? Nothing! It's free to play! You CAN kickstart it, but it's already well surpassed its goal.
Yes, you will receive 1 starter deck (a $10 value) upon account creation. You will be able to earn cards through the PVE campaign, and you will also be able to purchase $2 15-card booster packs.

Can you use equipment in PvP?
Equipment is exclusive to the PVE campaign (dungeons, raids, quests), though we will likely have some free-for-all tournament events where both PVE-exclusive and PVP cards are both legal. Let everybody build their most devastating decks and see who's still standing in the end!

And yes, it'll have a simultaneous Mac release as well as on PC.

I have a ton of packs from kickstarting but only just started playing. I'm gonna open all my boosters and--
NO STOP! Don't open boosters! If you want to crack packs, do sealed or draft. Sealed Gauntlet if you don't want to sit down for a few hours but would rather queue for a match here and there. Drafting is my preferred way to open packs. Sell your winnings or sell the packs and buy the specific cards you want from that. This is by far the most efficient way to do it. It's way cheaper to buy a card outright than to buy packs and hope to get one.
But if you have a whole bunch it's fun to crack a few and get a small collection going. But don't go overboard!

What is drafting?
Rius wrote: »
Very quickly;

Picture showing up to an event and buying 3 new boosters. You sit at a table with X other players, each of whom also has 3 boosters. Everyone opens one of their packs and picks one card to keep, then passes the stack to the left. Repeat this process until all cards are picked, then do the same for packs 2 and 3. You wind up with 3 packs worth of cards and make the best deck you can from those pickings, then you play the tournament.

This is opposed to Constructed where everyone just brings their own decks. It's an exercise in improvisation and a level playing field for all players. You keep all the cards you pick when the day is said and done, so some people just draft the most valuable cards every time, which is spiffo if you pull an expensive foil card.

Guilds!
I assume we'll have one, so I reserve this slot for that. "Practice with friends using the guild deck bank, or join guild sanctioned tournaments."
We will have one, and I'll be making it, as soon as the Alpha lets me! Also, we will have members that have the Guild Master perk, which will give everyone nice bonuses. No, the guild creator (ME, POWER MWAHAHA) doesn't have to have it. Just anyone in the guild.

Guild name? Post and tell us what you think is best! Current options are Pax Arcadia, Shards of Wang, Wangs of Fate, Wangwalkers, etc. Pax Arcadia in the lead!
Guilds are still works in progress.
In the meantime:
Darkewolfe wrote: »
@SniperGuy I have created a google form so we can track usernames:

http://goo.gl/forms/REOwHHhtmu

https://goo.gl/1Jva2G

The first link is an entry form so people can enter their info. The second link is a way to view the results. This way we can't have accidental edits of other people's entries.

http://hextcg.com/
Brutal J wrote: »
Some things to add to the OP.

Here is a link to the live stream on Friday of some game play. Note: We see two of the cards are buggy, but the game is in pre-Alpha, otherwise looks good.

http://www.twitch.tv/hextcg/b/404773267

It should be said that the PvP is not free. The PvE MMO stuff is free and thus far there doesn't seem to be any shenanigans to get you to pay, but if you want to do heavy PvP, tournaments and the like, you need to use a different set of PvP cards that only come from $2 booster packs.

There is also a soft subscription plan (recently renamed the VIP Program) you can sign up for at $4 per month, where you get a free booster pack a week, a spot in a VIP only tournament, and a way to test out the opening hand of your decks (no idea why this is only for the sub, seems silly).

Looking forward to this, been a long, long while since I played MtG, and I wasn't in a position to really get into it. The online version sounded cool, but with sooooo many cards, and the expensive I didn't think too much on it. Getting into Hex when it's new sounds like it could be fun though, and even if I'm not cut out for the PvP, the PvE stuff sounds pretty interesting, too bad they haven't really shown us anything solid with it yet.

Count me in for the guild though.

Oh, and the thread title is wrong. You put gear on your champion, gems in your cards, cards in your deck, the deck on your virtual table, and the virtual table inside a virtual dungeon!

Update 4/25:
Rarity is the orb on the left side between the picture and text box.

White: Common
Green: Uncommon
Blue: Rare
Orange: Legendary
Purple: Promo/Alt Art

Average Pack is 11 common (top row), 3 uncommon (2nd Row), 1 rare (bottom card with blue flames around it before you flip the card).
Sometimes the Rare will be replaced by a Legendary (Orange flames around the bottom card)

Primal packs appear to be 2 Legendary, 13 Rares.

Also, from messing around with it a good bit today, and hanging out on the chat... Most asked questions:

Where are my starters/promos?
-if you just entered your KS code. restart the game. They should now be in your card manager. To view the different decks, click the gear on the deck manager (the bottom part of the screen in card manager), and select "Load". You will have the deck you chose to start the game, plus 1 each of the starters as well (so you get 2 of the one you originally chose).
-Promos will be purple rarity cards in your card list.
-Slacker Backers have not gotten their 2nd starter yet. the codes for those will go out later.
-Dragon's Blood Starter is not live yet.

Gencon Promos?
-Codes not active yet.

Where's the rest of my stuff?"
http://hextcg.com/hex-backer-rewards

Green highlight = Available now
White = Will be given to your account as soon as they go live.
-VIP Codes very soon
-Mercs/Equipment/PVE cards all go live when that stuff does.

How do I open chests, whats the rolls for?
-Chest opening is not live yet, as that seems to be mostly for PVE stuff, but also to get things like Alt Arts and sleeves. they will just store in your inventory til you can use them. You can spend gold (in-game earned currency, not real money currency) to have rolls on the chests to improve them or get specific things.

A useful color chart for new players! Thanks @gjaustin
gjaustin wrote: »
Diamond (White): Small troops; Wide buffs; Damage mitigation; Life gain; Diverse removal
Ruby (Red): Aggressive troops; Direct damage; Actions
Sapphire (Blue): Flying troops; Counterspells; Actions; Mill
Blood (Black): Varied troops; Life gain; Troop removal; Sacrifice mechanics
Wild (Green): Large troops; Narrow buffs; Ramp; Artifact/Constant Removal; Battling

Ardent
Humans (D/R/S): Varied troops that provide bonuses to each other
Orcs (R/B): Very aggressive, focuses on troops with high power to cost ratio
Elves (W/R): Ramp into cards that cost 5+
Coyotle (D/B/W): Focus on recursion. Troops are slightly weaker than average, but improve the next troop in your deck.

Underworld
Necrotic (D/B/r/s): Troops that can transfer their bonuses to other troops. Damage prevention and threshold fixing.
Vennen (B/s): Focuses on disrupting your opponent's hand and troops. Able to generate large swarms of spiders.
Dwarves (R/S): Focus on Artifacts and turning cards into other cards.
Shin'hare (B/W): Focus on swarms of small cannon-fodder troops. Leverages sacrifices to generate card advantage.

SniperGuy on

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Oh thank god this is F2P.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    Some things to add to the OP.

Here is a link to the live stream on Friday of some game play. Note: We see two of the cards are buggy, but the game is in pre-Alpha, otherwise looks good.

http://www.twitch.tv/hextcg/b/404773267

It should be said that the PvP is not free. The PvE MMO stuff is free and thus far there doesn't seem to be any shenanigans to get you to pay, but if you want to do heavy PvP, tournaments and the like, you need to use a different set of PvP cards that only come from $2 booster packs.

There is also a soft subscription plan (recently renamed the VIP Program) you can sign up for at $4 per month, where you get a free booster pack a week, a spot in a VIP only tournament, and a way to test out the opening hand of your decks (no idea why this is only for the sub, seems silly).

Looking forward to this, been a long, long while since I played MtG, and I wasn't in a position to really get into it. The online version sounded cool, but with sooooo many cards, and the expensive I didn't think too much on it. Getting into Hex when it's new sounds like it could be fun though, and even if I'm not cut out for the PvP, the PvE stuff sounds pretty interesting, too bad they haven't really shown us anything solid with it yet.

Count me in for the guild though.

Oh, and the thread title is wrong. You put gear on your champion, gems in your cards, cards in your deck, the deck on your virtual table, and the virtual table inside a virtual dungeon!

• Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    In on this!

Its looking like their model is that Tourny play will require cash investment but the PvE part of the game won't... At least not in any significant way... Looks like a great model to me but we'll see...

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I've gone ahead and kicked 20 bucks in, but they're already waaaay over the kickstarter goal, and hitting mad stretch goals. I might bump it up, because a few of the higher tiers get some crazy cool bonuses.

• Options
    Not sure how much Kickstarter talk is allowed, if a mod comes in and makes it verboten, I'll edit this out.

Right now I'm at Knight ($65), the Primal Pack seemed worth it, and it's just the cost of a retail game, I'm pretty confident I'll get that out of Hex.

King is getting tempting, I have a feeling these last stretch goals will push me up, the value of cards you get seems too good to pass up if you have any plans to at least give this a solid go.

Hopefully we have someone(s) around here that opted in for the high tiers for the PvE guild and raid bonuses, so we can properly mooch off them.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    I haven't been involved with CCG stuff in a long time, this one looks pretty neat though and they have some good experience with this sort of thing. Should be interesting to follow, I went ahead and threw in to try and reach some of the stretch goals.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    DakinDakin Registered User regular
    Hopefully we have someone(s) around here that opted in for the high tiers for the PvE guild and raid bonuses, so we can properly mooch off them.

Mainly a lurker, figured I'd actually post since I am fairly excited about this game because it feels way more interesting than most the newer things on the market. I pledged the Grand King Tier [$500] myself, so I'd be up for helping you guys get some bonuses since its always good to have active friends to enjoy games with.

I actually started out with the King tier @ $120, but bumped it to the $500 since I was interested in the pro tier bonus of 1 free draft a week, which is like free cards for the life of the game. As well as all the other PvE extra buffs are rather nice. Beta is slotted for September, having the Arena only at initial start for the PvE stuff. PVP should be full on I believe.

This Spreedsheet has the kickstarter incentives in an easy to view/contrast format. [Source: Reddit Post]

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Double-post.

Dakin on
  • Options
    mogonkmogonk Registered User regular
    PvP is not free

aaaaand just like that they lost me as a player.

• Options
    mogonk wrote: »

It is because the winners [Top 4 or so] receive prizes; can't very well give out prizes for free all the time. I imagine there will be some kind of PVP function sans prizes so you can test/duel decks with friends or run oddball tourneys.

• Options
    It should be pointed out you can likely still earn boosters and shit from playing. It'll just be much easier to get that if you buy 'em. You can likely still PvP against other players without spending a dime using your starter deck. Unless I'm missing something.

• Options
    AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    mogonk wrote: »
    PvP is not free

Ah, yes - the highly sought-after "I will not give you any money for your product" customer base

I'm sure they are distraught at the loss

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Collectible CCG with an auction house? PVP is gonna be a nightmare for anyone without a credit card.

Will keep an eye on this, see if it somehow avoids the obvious pitfall.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Ill just assume that "paid pvp" means tournaments only and random non-organized pvp is available for free. Anything else would be silly.

• Options
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Collectible CCG with an auction house? PVP is gonna be a nightmare for anyone without a credit card.

Draft Tourny involves opening up booster packs at tournament start and battling it out with what you get... so no amount of money is going to help you there.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Interesting feature they're talking about for somewhere post-launch:
    Leagues! Imagine an interface that allows you to custom craft your very own league. Pick and choose all the options of your league, what format, how long it will run, who can play in it, what the prizes will be. This simple and intuitive tool will allow you completely customize the league.

I'm guessing that means we could do something like a PA League where everybody throws in a booster and the top Three win x/y/z boosters and goddamnit IE on this shitty computer why are you capitalizing random words

Echo on
  • Options
    Docken wrote: »

Draft Tourny involves opening up booster packs at tournament start and battling it out with what you get... so no amount of money is going to help you there.

They made a post about how that format will work. Might give it a try.

http://hextcg.com/drafting-in-hex/

• Options

I am familiar with with draft formats (lived with a Magic judge for 6 years), and you're right. I was referring to non-draft tournies, preconstructed and the like.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    Goddamn Kickstarter. I'm sorta considering throwing some money their way, but then you go "hmm, just 15 bucks extra for the next tier, that's not too much" and then you're suddenly nodding in approval at the $250 tier.

• Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    And I just started prime world: defenders.... Argh.

Im sure i′ll be dyvion in this just like every other game. Kickstarting when I get home.

Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    Got to say, I like the things they've said about guilds so far.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    Got to say, I like the things they've said about guilds so far.

Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options

I am familiar with with draft formats (lived with a Magic judge for 6 years), and you're right. I was referring to non-draft tournies, preconstructed and the like.

Yeah that could be a big fat mess if their core decks are not up to snuff (considering their pedigree, I am cautiously optimistic that this won't be the case).

I reckon the vast majority of tournament play will be drafting though...

• Options
    Goddamn Kickstarter. I'm sorta considering throwing some money their way, but then you go "hmm, just 15 bucks extra for the next tier, that's not too much" and then you're suddenly nodding in approval at the $250 tier.

Yeah.. that is what happened with me, I was like this tier will be good.. I go to pledge and actually talked myself into the king tier. A couple days later and tons more reading/watching of videos got me to bump it up to Grand King since the combo buffs/draft per week, and what, like almost 4000 cards? [245 Boosters + 5 Starter Decks, as well as exclusive cards] Done deal for something I plan to play for quite a while, granted it doesn't tank. Which I doubt it will.

If no one else that is more familiar within the PA community pitches in for a guild bonus tier, I'd be glad to form/invite you guys into a guild created for this community and its friends.

I think the digital aspect adds a lot of different innovations to the card dynamic, given you can do some pretty sweet stuff to cards still in deck/graveyard/etc.. [Eg, one card I saw modifies all other cards of its type once its used to do additional damage, permanently. So if you happened to draw 2 right off, that 3rd one if you ever got it would have its damage upped twice. Believe it was 2 initially, 4 after 1 use, and then the third would be 6.] Plus PvE sockets/equipment, events, hopefully it'll be a very rich and interesting environment.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I won't lie, this looks awesome and a half. If I wasn't so strapped for money I'd probably drop twenty on this.

I really like the way they've committed to digital. A lot of companies would make this digital but still keep to realspace-type formatting either because of simple rote or because "hey, we might be able to make this into real cardboard at some point!". But Hex seems to bring something a bit different simply because it understands from moment one that it's not a realspace card game and thus it's not limited by such paltry things as the laws of physics. Three-faced cards, random effects, card creation, transformation, card upgrading, these are all effects that would be problematic in Magic but seem to be all over the place here. And as a longtime Magic player I effing LOVE it.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    I've pledged. I was going to hold out for Hearthstone (not the same, I know... But still a CCG) but a buddy jumped in so I know I'll have at least one for a party.

• Options
    I've pledged. I was going to hold out for Hearthstone (not the same, I know... But still a CCG) but a buddy jumped in so I know I'll have at least one for a party.
    I'm also excited about hearthstone, but it looks like this would be getting most of my F2P bucks. Because I mean, damn. SO GOOD!

I have heard a lot of people commenting that it's basically ripping off MTG, and to that I say, good! A chance to get into that with a nice small starter pool of cards, an actual usable interface, and without having WOTC trying to rape my wallet at every turn sounds glorious.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Yes, it looks very similar to Magic, to the point I basically understood the cards even before reading anything about the game. Only one thing I didn't understand, and it was the energy Threshold, which is actually a fairly intelligent idea for simplifying the interface.

I have no problem with this, because I happen to love Magic, so a game like Magic where I get to play with other people without having to pay MTGO prices is something that I'm ALL over.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Dakin wrote: »

Yeah.. that is what happened with me, I was like this tier will be good.. I go to pledge and actually talked myself into the king tier. A couple days later and tons more reading/watching of videos got me to bump it up to Grand King since the combo buffs/draft per week, and what, like almost 4000 cards? [245 Boosters + 5 Starter Decks, as well as exclusive cards] Done deal for something I plan to play for quite a while, granted it doesn't tank. Which I doubt it will.

If no one else that is more familiar within the PA community pitches in for a guild bonus tier, I'd be glad to form/invite you guys into a guild created for this community and its friends.

Yeah I'm hoping someone does this. 10% bonus XP for everyone in the guild forever sounds pretty sweet.

• Options
    Leagues? LOL. Don't you know that nobody likes leagues, Hex? Don't you know it's not profitable? Don't you know it's too hard to upkeep?

*sob* You BASTARDS.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Woo, someone made the thread I've been wanting to make but too lazy to get around to.

V excited for this. Cloning Magic is an excellent step 1 when you follow it up by exploiting the fuck out of being purely digital to do a bunch of awesome shit Magic can't/won't do.

I'm mainly onboard for the PvE stuff as I don't have the time/money/effort commitment for anything more than light dabbling in PvP.

The Kickstarter stretch goals to my cynical mind are 90% shit that was going to be in the game anyway or pointless shiny nonsense, but I'll chuck in at a sub $50 level for chuckles and beta access.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    MiniwolfMiniwolf Probably somewhere sniffing somethingRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I have never played any kind of CCG before, however a friend linked me the kickstarter and I will be dropping some investment cash on this game on friday (Pay day).

I look forward to being crushed by people who have far more experience then me at CCGs and then drowning my sorrows while fully clothed in a shower consuming vodka. :D

Miniwolf on
    League Of Legends: Ulven
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • Options
    I'm gonna throw 85 dollars at this next week. Duel of Champions has put me in the mood for a ccg, and the Card Hunter beta isn't letting me in yet.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    nearlysobernearlysober Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Today they announced that one of the Mercenary Champions (PvE avatars with simplified level perks instead of choosing a build) will be the Cardboard Tube Samarai.

I like the fact that CZE seems to have a good relationship with the PA team... it's a good endorsement that is not easily given.

nearlysober on
  • Options
    If it is at all possible to have duels where you can use merc champions, there shall be a all Cardboard Tube Samurai Tournament.

It is known.

• Options
    GutockGutock Registered User regular
    Lurker jumping in. Read this off the front page, then fell in love.

Love the idea of guilds and keep defenses sound awesome.

Also, is it horribly wrong I may force the bunny race in every deck? A truly sadistic and ridiculously fun idea.

• Options
    Shiiiiiit. The cardboard tube samurai is gonna be available for champion tier and up. Champion is the 85 dollar tier isn't it...why do I have to be getting married and moving in July?! My wallet. My poor wallet.

• Options
    Ugh. yeha. I'll save my money for release, I'm sorry to say.

85 dollars is not exactly how I start a new hobby.

• Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    The Kickstarter stretch goals to my cynical mind are 90% shit that was going to be in the game anyway or pointless shiny nonsense, but I'll chuck in at a sub $50 level for chuckles and beta access.

They have admitted this in a recent email update - some of the features were on the roadmap. By getting so much over their budget they're able to fast track them to try and hit launch.

These emails they send are brilliant on their part. Every time I see a new stretch goal has been hit my finger hovers above the button to pledge more. My biggest fear was the game would flop but I think it's clear there will be plenty of people playing (even just with the KS backers).

• Options
    EmberquickEmberquick Master of Dungeons Deep UndergroundRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Ah, excellent! I was going to look into making this thread myself if it didn't show up soon. Good OP!

I CAN'T WAIT for this game. I got into MtG on the ground floor (actually pre-ordered Alpha/Beta booster boxes from my local store back in 1993 based solely on the product description in their catalog), and Magic was *very* good to me all through college and for the next ten years.

Then the obsession faded, and I sold my power nine and all my sets for way, way more than I ever paid for them. And life moved on with me as just a casual player.

Then Tycho had to go and link to HEX on the front page a couple Fridays ago. And I just had to go and click over to the Kickstarter.

DAMN. Hex is everything I could have ever wanted as an ex-MtG player who still wrestles with bouts of intense TCG cravings.

I "backed the fuck out of it" like Jerry did, and $500 later I'm now a Grand King. Lord have mercy, WHAT HAVE I DONE?

Let me know when The PA Guild starts up--I'm all in.

Emberquick on
    steam_sig.png