As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Summer in DC

JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
edited May 2013 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey everyone. I was offered an internship in Northwest DC over the summer, and I'm looking for a place nearby. Anyone have any info about DC? Good places to stay (as in housing), eat, hang out, etc.?

I'm going to try combing through Craigslist later, though I've never used it before. I figure it couldn't hurt to post here as well. Thanks in advance for any tips.

sig.gif
Jurg on

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Check with the universities in the area, when I was interning in DC a bunch of them would rent out dorm rooms for the summer because they know a ton of people are coming in short term

• Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    I'm looking at about 700/wk before taxes. Not sure how much after. I'd prefer to be near some public transportation.

I'll check out the universities as well. I didn't know the universities themselves had sublets.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    You are going to have trouble finding a place for $700/week in most places in northwest. Your best bet is to look for a small room in a place somewhere around Columbia Heights, probably, depending on where your internship is.

You might also be able to find something further out in NW, but the public transportation up there is a lot crappier because no metro.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    OrestusOrestus Registered User regular
    I know American does the summer lease on dorms for interns, and I believe GWU does as well. Also depending on where your internship is, there's no reason to not look in Northern Virginia (Rosslyn, Clarendon, Ballston, Arlington), those areas have plenty of accessible good nightlife places and are very easy to get in to DC on by metro. You might find something a bit cheaper there than right in DC.

Also, obligatory link for DC summer interns: dcinterns.blogspot.com/

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I don't know where you're from but you need to go to Shake Shack if you've never had it before. Also be sure to check out all the museums if you're into that sort of thing.

Prince George's County in MD can be a little rough but you're likely to find cheap places to live there near the University of Maryland that will be close to Metro stops.

I don't really have anything else to add. I live fairly close to DC but seldom get out to it, sadly.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Honestly, the first thing you should figure out is how far your work is from a metro line, and the MARC train. A 3 mile walk or bus ride can suck, but often times your work may be right on the metro line, if it is you can live outside of DC proper and save money. I happen to like Montgommery County, and PG county is rough, I wouldn't recommend living there unless you can't afford to do otherwise, and if that is the case we'll play good area bad area with you.

Around college park is actually reasonably affordable if you don't mind an efficiency or living in a "basement apartment."

• Options
    If you're in DC I'd really recommend Arlington over College Park IF you can find a sub-let in your price range.

• Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    How old are you? What kind of social scene do you like?

Living in Arlington is likely to be cheaper than DC, but it is possible to find a place you can afford in the city. Columbia Heights is a good recommendation in that regard: reasonably safe, reasonably close to the action and way more affordable than, say, Dupont Circle or Adams Morgan. I wouldn't live in College Park if you want the experience of actually being in/near DC for the summer.

The best DC cheap eats are actually mostly in Virginia:

-Pho 75 (pho, Arlington / Courthouse)
    -Ray's The Third (burgers, Arlington / Courthouse)
    -BGR (burgers, Dupont Circle)
    -El Pollo Rico (Peruvian chicken, Arlington / Virginia Square)
    -Kabob Palace (Pakistani, Arlington / Crystal City)
    -Pupatella (thin-crust pizza, Arlington / Ballston)
    -Ben's Chili Bowl (drunk food, U Street)

The expensive eats are a little more balanced out:

#4) Blue Duck Tavern (American, Foggy Bottom)
    #3) Floriana (Italian, U Street)
    #2) Ray's The Steaks (steak, Arlington / Courthouse)
    #1) Rasika (Indian, Penn Quarter)

Griswold on
    FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    We can argue over the best eats for days. There's food to match anyone's preference anywhere in DC or Arlington, though.

(All of Griswold's recommendations are wrong! :P)

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Griswold wrote: »
    How old are you? What kind of social scene do you like?

Living in Arlington is likely to be cheaper than DC, but it is possible to find a place you can afford in the city. Columbia Heights is a good recommendation in that regard: reasonably safe, reasonably close to the action and way more affordable than, say, Dupont Circle or Adams Morgan. I wouldn't live in College Park if you want the experience of actually being in/near DC for the summer.

The best DC cheap eats are actually mostly in Virginia:

-Pho 75 (pho, Arlington / Courthouse)
    -Ray's The Third (burgers, Arlington / Courthouse)
    -BGR (burgers, Dupont Circle)
    -El Pollo Rico (Peruvian chicken, Arlington / Virginia Square)
    -Kabob Palace (Pakistani, Arlington / Crystal City)
    -Pupatella (thin-crust pizza, Arlington / Ballston)
    -Ben's Chili Bowl (drunk food, U Street)

The expensive eats are a little more balanced out:

#4) Blue Duck Tavern (American, Foggy Bottom)
    #3) Floriana (Italian, U Street)
    #2) Ray's The Steaks (steak, Arlington / Courthouse)
    #1) Rasika (Indian, Penn Quarter)

I actually live in Fairfax, just a few miles away from DC, and I wholly endorse this eating list. Rays in particular is fantastic.

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Fogo de Chao on Pennsylvania Ave is a personal favorite.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Bistro du Coin in Dupont.
    Lost Dog Pizza in Falls Church.
    Florida Avenue Grill off U St.
    Cafe Belga in Eastern Market.
    Any Ethiopian in Little Ethiopia off U St.
    Kenny's BBQ off Capitol Hill in NE.
    Liberty Tavern brunch in Arlington.

Darkewolfe on