As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dawngate] Moya slaps you with a large eel.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I love running King with mostly hast chain lightning etc and some power, kite for daaaaaaaaaays!

Edit: quick add on there tho I mostly played befor the new map etc, after they dropet the new map I have mostly played Ashabel and that's just a few times.

And if anyone wanna add me my tag is LilleDjevel there. =)

The thing about all-haste KoM is that you are basically asking reposition-friendly bruisers like Salous, Kel, Petrus, and Basko to rip a hole in you. A little health goes a long way towards getting the second round of space eggs and tentacles out.

That said, he's got amazing clear w/ Chaos and it's a lovely first item.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Please for the love of god don't lock accounts to region. I'll probably stop playing if they do.

Doesn't look like they are, unless they'll change things in a future patch. It's set up right now to just ask you which server you want to be your primary as a radio button on the Play screen, and if you want matchmaking to search all regions.

Unrelated, surprised that the practice bots are pretty good. I was not expecting them to work objectives or take the Parasite at opportune times, but they totally do.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • LilleDjevelLilleDjevel Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    I love running King with mostly hast chain lightning etc and some power, kite for daaaaaaaaaays!

Edit: quick add on there tho I mostly played befor the new map etc, after they dropet the new map I have mostly played Ashabel and that's just a few times.

And if anyone wanna add me my tag is LilleDjevel there. =)

The thing about all-haste KoM is that you are basically asking reposition-friendly bruisers like Salous, Kel, Petrus, and Basko to rip a hole in you. A little health goes a long way towards getting the second round of space eggs and tentacles out.

That said, he's got amazing clear w/ Chaos and it's a lovely first item.

Yeah used to go the power item that gave hp and a shield if your hp droped to low, no idea what it's called.

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,
    'til there's Fire in the Sky...

steam_sig.png
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    If you guys haven't seen the comics they've been putting out, well...

they nailed Renzo.

I rather enjoy this prologue-thing.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    This is a thing! A thing I started playing recently.

The OP has no guides or such - where are the best places to look? I found a bunch of info here, but GAMEPEDIA AAAAH.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Kay wrote: »
    This is a thing! A thing I started playing recently.

The OP has no guides or such - where are the best places to look? I found a bunch of info here, but GAMEPEDIA AAAAH.

This is pretty much the thing
    moba-champion.com/

I wish my computer could run this properly. I love the game, but they really need to optimize their shit over at Waystone.

Aah, there's some stuff there, yeah. I was meaning more a general starter guide, though. Like the map, what the jungle camps are, routes, generally how the game plays, and what spirit stones/sparks to aim for early.

I mean, at the moment, I just use the on-rotation Shapers and use the basic 'big block of stats' spirit stone setup you get, rather than the stat-light Duelist spirit stones.

ew9y0DD.png
    Aah, there's some stuff there, yeah. I was meaning more a general starter guide, though. Like the map, what the jungle camps are, routes, generally how the game plays, and what spirit stones/sparks to aim for early.

I mean, at the moment, I just use the on-rotation Shapers and use the basic 'big block of stats' spirit stone setup you get, rather than the stat-light Duelist spirit stones.

Super-basic infos:

Basically, jungling involves taking the buff camp you want most first, then rolling through at least one other, and depending on whether it was a side camp or the center one, with haste, either the third buff or a cash pig. Small camps are good for getting to 6 but worth ignoring unless there's nothing else valuable thereafter, despite tweaks from "absolutely useless," to "noticeable," XP gains from them a while back. Some characters (Freia being the most extreme example) clear with damage output, others really love the various damage-from-armor spirit stones and items in the armor line.

Most lanes will involve one longer-ranged Mage playing Tactician and a Marksman or another Mage farming. Especially since Sakari, Ashabel, and Lillin have come out, this is your safer bet; all three have pretty ridiculous range and harrass really well. You can instead mix in some of the beefier guys (Raina, Kel, Renzo, Desecrator, and Cerulean, notably) as Tacticians - this was more common before recent character releases, and still works if they itemize well or get fed - or do a thing where the tactician does a ton of AoE damage and a melee guy or less-bursty dude picks up the farm, which is uncommon but workable.

Generally Tactician feels more like support in DotA than support in League, which is to say you need to keep mobile and poke a lot.

Most rune pages will either be a big ball of stats, or a big ball of stats with one special thing like Duelist attached. For a game with as small a roster as Dawngate, you can get surprisingly niche-y with pages for some characters. Fenmore and Viyana, particularly.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Cheers, I may have to try playing people today. Been jungling as Moya, she seems pretty neat and mobile once you max her Q.

ew9y0DD.png
    Cheers, I may have to try playing people today. Been jungling as Moya, she seems pretty neat and mobile once you max her Q.

A lot of people like Moya, correctly. She's a little weird to itemize but you have a lot of options; go nuts.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular

Moya's the best.

Probably terrible if you're new and trying to figure out itemization because roughly half the items in the game are viable on her but she's great fun to play.

In terms of tutorial stuff if you're into watching then https://www.youtube.com/user/WaystoneGames?spfreload=10 hosts a bunch of tourney VODS as of late so you can see how good players tend to play.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Trying to learn Ronan while the rotation lasts. He turns into a beast with some items, but feels like he's made of wet tissue paper in a storm early game. I end up laning him like Teemo, where I'm just darting in and out for last hits and learning the last pixel of the other lane's attack ranges.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I am very surprised that they gave out refunds.

Also surprised that they didn't stubbornly try to brute-force their way into the market. I guess they hired someone who understands sunk cost fallacy.

YL9WnCY.png
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Something to keep in mind is that EA nixed the Command and Conquer Generals 2 alpha after it ran into dead ends.

I find it hard to congratulate good business decisions on EA's part when a game I really enjoyed is being killed as a consequence. Hell, if anyone had the funds to Microsoft their way into a market it was EA.

I honestly felt this had a good chance to be right up there with LoL and DoTA2 in popularity as the more-traditional (ie, not Smite or Gigantic) member of that genre. Not because it was worse than them, I enjoyed its mechanics more than either of them, but just because the genre is custom-built to invest you into a game both time-wise and money-wise and people don't like switching.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i feel like your "people don't like switching" is at odds with "could be right up there with lol and dota2"

liEt3nH.png
    "I think it's better than either of them, but because of how the genre works it would only get up into the top 3, not first place."

Eh, it wouldn't have ever gotten top three. Smite would've powered ahead of it due to having a fantastic business model.

Even then I'm fairly certain they could've made money off of the whole thing.

edited November 2014
    I might be wrong, but I feel Smite mechanically plays too differently to really compete for the same pie so I'm not really sure how much of its core playerbase actually came from long time DoTA2 or LoL players. If my first MOBA was Smite I wouldn't even have tried the others, as I hate their control method (even in LoL and Dawngate I had to rebind my controls entirely to make them tolerable. I enjoy them despite their awkward RTS controls, rather than because of them).

Glal on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    sunk cost fallacy doesn't really apply

because ignoring previous expenditures, pretending the game just materialized at EA in its current state, it would be worth pushing forward because absent the development costs it should make money even if it doesn't shake the market - games like this don't cost that much to actually run once they're developed (I mean, in relative terms)

they might not have recouped their development costs, but oh well

override367 on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Well, this came as a surprise. Dawngate felt incredibly solid and well executed. Great art style too.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I'm more upset that we don't get a conclusion to the comic. Renzo asked someone out on a date and we don't get to see that detailed artwork. :(

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Honestly I feel their in game destiny prices probably drove people off. I won (not played, won) 100 matches and had only unlocked 2 extra dudes. That's a long grind

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    The closure feels random and out of the blue, really. Especially with all the announcements and stuff they've made lately.

In the PlusPlus thread I likened it to the City of Heroes closure, what with how they just announced new content they were working on and then the next day BAM dead.

Was there some changes in the management in EA recently and they felt like going all Cartoon Network on previous management's projects?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    sunk cost fallacy doesn't really apply

because ignoring previous expenditures, pretending the game just materialized at EA in its current state, it would be worth pushing forward because absent the development costs it should make money even if it doesn't shake the market - games like this don't cost that much to actually run once they're developed (I mean, in relative terms)

they might not have recouped their development costs, but oh well
    You are literally describing sunk cost fallacy. You cannot just ignore money spent and act like they should soldier on. That's basically what sunk cost fallacy is.

"Well, might as well recoup our development costs." is basically saying "I don't know what sunk cost fallacy is! Now help me throw this money in the dumpster."

YL9WnCY.png
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Eh, for a game that had a tagline 'break the meta' it had a very aggravating playerbase with set 'builds' for every hero and set 'lanes' for every hero. It didn't accomplish what it set out to do. I like the way they did item stats and building ... but the hero designs themselves were a little uninspired to me (in terms of skills, not artwork) and the costs were prohibitively high.

It took way too much from League, anyway. The sight mechanics. The super similar jungle. I did enjoy the game, but I am not surprised that it fell through.

The best part, though, the best part

is that when I lost this one random pub game the enemy team trash talked and I told them that by being part of a toxic community that they'd eventually have to go back to a game they hate when it failed and fell through. And now that it has failed and fallen through I get to laugh menacingly.

Moridin889 wrote: »
    Honestly I feel their in game destiny prices probably drove people off. I won (not played, won) 100 matches and had only unlocked 2 extra dudes. That's a long grind
    Friend of mine got like 5 free champs from the post-game rolls when he was playing the game consistently for a while. The joys of RNG...

This is pretty much League's pricing. With the only difference being that they didn't have a set of lower tiers (which is likely due to the smaller pool).

• MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    But. But Faris was so cool ;__;

Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
    Faris was the worst.

Worse even than Voluc. Too easy to poke and chunk people safely with him.

edited November 2014
    I played, uh, Coin Lady, Not Sivir, Not Kog, Not Kat/Diana/Irelia, and Moya.

(Mikella, Nissa, Vexx, Kindra and Moya.)

I also played a little bit of Sakari, she was fun though it seemed a little tricky to build and keep stacks on her to actually do decent damage. Also her VU was absolutely cray-cray. In a fun way. That woman has SEEN THINGS, guys. She has SEEN THINGS.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    We should probably just all start writing Riot letters asking them to replace Taric with Renzo. Problem solved, no more need to feel angst about Dawngate as the most magnificent creation in any such game will have been preserved for all to enjoy his splendor.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Eh, I'd put Moya above Renzo. Though he's definitely top five.

Eh, I'd put Moya above Renzo. Though he's definitely top five.

Moya's cool too. So is Fenmore, who I'd love to have over there instead of Vlad. The important, difference, however, is that Renzo's beauty and excellence is too great for him to pass into obscurity so easily!

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Silence, critic!

ew9y0DD.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    TB has some thoughts I generally agree with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDDpcCM1BYg

• MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    Gonna miss, uh, King of Masks. His VO was terrific.

Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
    Oh yeah, I need to try him now that all the shapers are unlocked.

ew9y0DD.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

This is pretty much League's pricing. With the only difference being that they didn't have a set of lower tiers (which is likely due to the smaller pool).

Man this is the excuse people use to defend heroes of the storms pricing but like, that lower tier is PRETTY IMPORTANT. People forget how good it is to have some characters unlocked after just a few games in league because they did it years ago but it's a big part of customer retention. Some of those 450 champs easily become people's favourites. Ignoring that seems like a huge mistake. Sure it's a smaller pool but league launched with 40 dudes and had dick all for money, these also-rans with company backing should be able to figure something out.

liEt3nH.png