As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Energy] In the end, we'll still use liquified dinosaur carcasses for something

jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovelsRegistered User regular
Green vs. Traditional.

Current policies vs. Proposed policies, or even the policies of your dreams.

No limits, as long as it pertains to the discussion of energy in the real world.

• Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Alright, guys, we have a problem here, and it goes way beyond a terribad OP. This is what my partner and I burned in the past 24 hours:

photomay26103808.jpg

Now granted, we are a team truck, so we run 24/7, but we also get a whole 7.5 miles to the gallon, which is half again the national average. Now, guess about how many big trucks are out there on that road every day, sucking greedily at the petro-teat.

All told, the US eats through 134,000,000 gallons of highway diesel per day (as of 2010), enough to fill 200 olympic swimming pools or cover Central Park to a depth of six inches...every day...just for diesel fuel...

The problem is, of course, transportability. Diesel and gasoline are very efficient in terms of power for volume or weight. CNG needs five times the volume of an equivalent amount of diesel, as well as a high-pressure fuel tank. Electricity or ethanol will work for shorter range vehicles, but the one lacks the range for OTR driving and the other would require fueling way too often (like trucks backed up out onto the street too often).

Trains aren't the solution, unless you are willing to give up overnight and three-day ground shipping. Alternative fuel, is going to require a massive infrastructure investment and rise in costs (which we will happily pass on to you, the consumer). The current system simply isn't sustainable. So does anyone have any good ideas, or are we pooched?

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Transportation efficiencies are important (and I disagree about the potential for improved freight rail displacing trucking, especially long haul), but it is not even 30% of total energy consumption in the nation. The real culprit isn't the car you drive but the buildings you occupy. So while phasing out petroleum with something else is certainly an important endeavor, phasing out coal fired power plants and triple paning your windows are far more pressing in terms of actual impact.

pecss_btu_2011_med.jpg

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Pretty sure the solution is going to be a mixture of things.

Yeah, no one route is a solution, but electric/cng is/will be great for fleet vehicles and most commuters.
    Overnight/3 day shipping really aren't all that important. pertro-electric trains are super efficient and the above mentioned cng/full electric fleet trucks can handle the last mile.
    Computer driven 'road trains' of trucks will cut wind resistance to almost nothing, and other sources of friction can be mitigated. So even when OTR is required it can be done for less.
    Once we have clean electricity and an advance energy grid, if worse comes to worse, we could just electrify our roadways, and charge truckers to use that.

The key point is that bit about passing the costs on to the consumers. That's going to happen, and people will be force to consume less as things get more expensive. There's a lot of oil left to be found, it's just going to be harder and harder to get at it.

There's also something like more energy than we have already used tied up in Methane Hydrate than we have already used as a species. It will cost a lot to exploit it, and we'll have to adapt or transportation technologies to use it, but it isn't like we are going to hit a wall and not be able to transport thing. Costs are just going to spiral up, and we'll adapt.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    i hope we don't start using methane hydrates. that's just another fucking source of carbon dioxide.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    i hope we don't start using methane hydrates. that's just another fucking source of carbon dioxide.

I don't disagree, but if it is there to be exploited, we are probably going to.

You've got to be less pessimistic and look on the bright side of things. We, or our children, are going to get to terraform antarctica.
    edit:and the Hamptons are fucked! :)

redx on
  • Options
    And as for transportation, most people are already driving a lot less. Given that a lot of places have reached the outer bounds of exurban growth and are likely to increase the intensity of land use (higher density/FAR) in order to keep things reasonably available to a normal amount of time driving (20-40 minutes) it will only continue to be a lot more easily dealt with.

new-direction_fig_ES1.png

new-direction_fig-ES2.png

• Options
    Freight rail is currently at capacity. A trailer driven to the intermodal yard is looking at at least a week added onto its transit time. Also, rail is by its nature a spoke/hub distribution system. That is good in places with high population densities that can support enough hubs, but you really just have to look at a density map of the US and Europe side by side to see why rail is so much more prevalent out there.

There is also quite a lot of time sensitive point to point traffic that won't work as well for rail (e.g. fresh meats and produce).

The industrial and residential sectors can more easily take advantage of non-carbon energy, but yeah, there are also ways of cutting back there. I'm just going with what I know because it involves such a staggering amount of oil.

RedX, the day they put computer driven semis on the road is the day I stop driving cars. I've driven in a truck with a partially automated transmission; it is a fantastic way to get someone killed. You also run into a problem with trucks that you don't have with cars. Namely, every truck climbs at a different speed. There is also problems with downgrades...and slick roads...really, it will get people killed.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    RedX, the day they put computer driven semis on the road is the day I stop driving cars. I've driven in a truck with a partially automated transmission; it is a fantastic way to get someone killed. You also run into a problem with trucks that you don't have with cars. Namely, every truck climbs at a different speed. There is also problems with downgrades...and slick roads...really, it will get people killed.
    ok.

• Options
    Passenger miles may be declining, but truck freight is rising and at a faster rate than rail. There should actually be a bump in the number of trucks out there in the next year or two. The Teamsters lobbied to get the driving day cut by an hour, and it goes into effect this summer. Aside from pissing off every non-union driver out there, and probably making the roads less safe, it is also going to reduce the amount of freight current fleets can haul without increasing size.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    Freight rail is currently at capacity.

So is the circle interchange, that doesn't suddenly make driving to Chicago a pointless endeavor, it means you need to alter routes and capital dollars have to increase capacity and target bottlenecks rather than just pretend rail isn't part of the transportation mix.
    A trailer driven to the intermodal yard is looking at at least a week added onto its transit time. Also, rail is by its nature a spoke/hub distribution system. That is good in places with high population densities that can support enough hubs, but you really just have to look at a density map of the US and Europe side by side to see why rail is so much more prevalent out there.

They also have a much different regulatory structure where freight is on a far more balanced footing rather than paying property tax out of pocket against a subsidized trucking sector that also has low fuel taxes. And if you look at a density map we actually are pretty dense when looking at population centers rather than just raw land. I mean, this is rather dismissive to people who live west of the 100th Meridian, but there just aren't that many of them. They shouldn't be ignored, but nor should they skew the averages that we're talking about.

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Honestly significantly upping costs on same-day freight would be a good way to reduce petroleum use, though it would utterly fuck my business.

• Options
    Honestly significantly upping costs on same-day freight would be a good way to reduce petroleum use, though it would utterly fuck my business.

You know what might solve that issue for you? Shifting your business into

THERMAL DEPOLYMERIZATION!

• Options
    moniker wrote: »

So is the circle interchange, that doesn't suddenly make driving to Chicago a pointless endeavor, it means you need to alter routes and capital dollars have to increase capacity and target bottlenecks rather than just pretend rail isn't part of the transportation mix.
    A trailer driven to the intermodal yard is looking at at least a week added onto its transit time. Also, rail is by its nature a spoke/hub distribution system. That is good in places with high population densities that can support enough hubs, but you really just have to look at a density map of the US and Europe side by side to see why rail is so much more prevalent out there.

They also have a much different regulatory structure where freight is on a far more balanced footing rather than paying property tax out of pocket against a subsidized trucking sector that also has low fuel taxes. And if you look at a density map we actually are pretty dense when looking at population centers rather than just raw land. I mean, this is rather dismissive to people who live west of the 100th Meridian, but there just aren't that many of them. They shouldn't be ignored, but nor should they skew the averages that we're talking about.

Yeah, they are expanding the yards as fast as they can, but that takes serious time, especially if the yard is in a growing population center or already built out.

Be back tonight. Sleep.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Rest easy people, this guy is legit and will solve our energy issues!

Tests find Rossi's E-Cat has an energy density at least 10 times higher than any conventional energy source

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2013-05-rossi-e-cat-energy-density-higher.html#jCp
    i also have a solar powered X-Wing that really works for sale, pm me your credit card info

Caveman Paws on
  • Options

Yeah, they are expanding the yards as fast as they can, but that takes serious time, especially if the yard is in a growing population center or already built out.

Be back tonight. Sleep.

Oh, I thought you were meaning transport rather than issues with shifting at the yard. So less that and more this:

trainvolcap2035.jpg

It's a projection to 2035, most of the system is actually below capacity now aside from major hubs where the delay is significant enough to impact overall efficiency. While I don't have much faith in the FHWA projections for the highway system because VMT is down, I feel more comfortable with this projection since it's far more based on economics than people's preferences. No matter if you want to live downtown or in the 'burbs, you still need plastic crap from China and that still has to get to you from a port somewhere.

• Options
    TBurk83TBurk83 Registered User regular
    I doubt we'll be able to reconcile free trade with getting off of fossil fuels, at least in any meaningful timeframe. We'll have to sacrifice some of our modern conveniences to save ourselves, and reevaluate the things we buy, and how much we need them.

People seem to discuss this in terms of: "How do we keep absolutely all of our modern conveniences and our lifestyle in-tact, and get off of fossil fuels, and stave off climate change?"

What if we just can't? What if the solution is just reevaluating our modern world, and deciding we don't need cheap plastic junk shipped all around the world, or an endless supply of beef, or an endless supply of coffee? What if the answer is to change our disposable consumerist culture?

If you approach this problem from an economic, capitalistic, free-trade point of view, you've already lost. It will always be easier and cheaper and more profitable to continue on our current path, and to brush the collateral damage under the rug as an externality.

• Options
    TBurk83 wrote: »
    I doubt we'll be able to reconcile free trade with getting off of fossil fuels, at least in any meaningful timeframe.

What are you basing that on?

• Options
    I doubt we'll be able to reconcile free trade with getting off of fossil fuels, at least in any meaningful timeframe.

Some of the points made in this thread concerning shipping.

My point wasn't that we can't. My point is what if we can't in a decent timeframe? Also, if we're trying to stave off climate change, and switch from fossil fuels, then why can't part of the solution be to take a good look at our disposable consumer culture and make some changes? That's not usually brought up because people like their disposable junk, 10,000 barely different smartphone models, etc.

I was just bringing up that any anti-capitalistic solutions are never usually discussed because the economy relies on a consumer economy and that's probably part of the problem when you're trying to save the world from climate change, or switch energy sources.

If you try to solve this problem using economics, or an economic point of you, you trap yourself in a feedback loop, since the primary drive behind economics is making money, and sometimes doing the right thing for our species and planet just won't be profitable.

Trying to fix a problem of this magnitude while tabling anything that is going to cost more, or not be profitable, is just stupid, I guess is what I'm saying.

• Options

My point wasn't that we can't. My point is what if we can't in a decent time frame? Also, if we're trying to stave off climate change, and switch from fossil fuels, then why can't part of the solution be to take a good look at our disposable consumer culture and make some changes? That's not usually brought up because people like their disposable junk, 10,000 barely different smartphone models, etc.

I was just bringing up that any anti-capitalistic solutions are never usually discussed because the economy relies on a consumer economy and that's probably part of the problem when you're trying to save the world from climate change, or switch energy sources.

If you try to solve this problem using economics, or an economic point of you, you trap yourself in a feedback loop, since the primary drive behind economics is making money, and sometimes doing the right thing for our species and planet just won't be profitable.

Trying to fix a problem of this magnitude while tabling anything that is going to cost more, or not be profitable, is just stupid, I guess is what I'm saying.

Except that none of what's been posted speaks toward (let alone against) lowering tariffs or harmonizing customs regulations. We can consume less than Mennonites and still have free trade. So it's just making me scratch my head. Unless you simply mean to use it as a metonym for something else, which given your descriptions of capitalism and economics seems likely but still just as odd.

Also, switching from fossil fuels is not directly related to either total energy consumption or energy consumption by sector. Russia only fairly recently electrified its rail system. We could similarly make the investment for that (powered by various sources) along with boosting freight capacity. It doesn't solve every single problem ever, but it does address a good deal of them all while also being a good investment on its own terms.

• Options
    edited May 2013

My point wasn't that we can't. My point is what if we can't in a decent time frame? Also, if we're trying to stave off climate change, and switch from fossil fuels, then why can't part of the solution be to take a good look at our disposable consumer culture and make some changes? That's not usually brought up because people like their disposable junk, 10,000 barely different smartphone models, etc.

Except that none of what's been posted speaks toward (let alone against) lowering tariffs or harmonizing customs regulations. We can consume less than Mennonites and still have free trade. So it's just making me scratch my head. Unless you simply mean to use it as a metonym for something else, which given your descriptions of capitalism and economics seems likely but still just as odd.

Also, switching from fossil fuels is not directly related to either total energy consumption or energy consumption by sector. Russia only fairly recently electrified its rail system. We could similarly make the investment for that (powered by various sources) along with boosting freight capacity. It doesn't solve every single problem ever, but it does address a good deal of them all while also being a good investment on its own terms.

I guess I'm just not using the right terminology since I'm pretty much a layman when it comes to talking about markets and such.

I was trying to get at the point of: "What if one of the solutions to our energy issues is prioritizing what we ship, what we buy, what we do, and so on? Would that be a no-go because it impinges on the free market, even if we knew it would help us all out with climate change and energy issues?"

I was sort-of critiquing the anarcho-capitalistic mindset that seems to be so popular in the world these days, where anything that impinges on free trade is bad, even if doing so is good for us in the long term.

I'm not anti-capitalist, really, I'm just not a fan of letting economics dictate what solutions are off the table, since market-driven thinking is kind of what causes many of our global problems, even if it is short-sighted market, economic thinking.

If the goal is to consume as much as we do right now, but use some alternative energy to enable us to continue that behavior, and if we assume we will consume more as population increases, wouldn't we just end up on consuming ourselves to extinction? I mean, any way you slice it we live on a finite planet with finite resources.

A video which talks about what I'm getting at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VOMWzjrRiBg
    I'd love that video to be debunked, by the way, since it's fairly frightening.

TBurk83 on
  • Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    Here's what I can think of off the top of my head:

-Natural Gas is currently in a massive boom due to breakthroughs in fracking technology; this has been hailed as both a way to take a step away from coal - natural gas being the lesser of two evils - while still satisfying energy needs for the foreseeable future.

-Battery Technology is improving rapidly; metal-sulfur chemistry will double battery capacity, and metal-air chemistry will reach ten times the capacity of current batteries. Unless I'm mistaken, timelines put sulfur chemistry about five years out, and metal-air ten to fifteen years out. The advent of these batteries will mean electric vehicles will be far more feasible than they are even now (particularly cost-wise), and could very well displace cars with combustion engines entirely.

-Solar: price is falling like a rock and efficiency is steadily climbing; a possible endgame is having solar be so cheap it doesn't make sense to not include it in building projects.

-Nuclear: solid and ever-improving technology especially with regards to safety, but too many people are afraid of it.

-Fusion: ITER is still fifteen to twenty years out, but a Lockheed Martin skunkworks project is going to attempt a 100 Megawatt test in 2017 with a different design that they have found promising in laboratory testing. According to that press release, if successful they would be able to begin selling said reactors in 2022.

-Orbital Solar: I believe some test plants are planned for testing within a decade, but nothing really large-scale.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The problem with solar? It's ugly for houses. The problem with electric cars? They're too expensive to just be commuting vehicles, when you can buy a cheaper car that works for commuting and long trips.

I really think the only solution is to find ways to make it easy and cheap for people to behave better. I mean, look at how long it took to start phasing out incandescent bulbs. We didn't get to really start until the tech caught up with instant on, dimmer support, etc.

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

I guess I'm just not using the right terminology since I'm pretty much a layman when it comes to talking about markets and such.

I was trying to get at the point of: "What if one of the solutions to our energy issues is prioritizing what we ship, what we buy, what we do, and so on? Would that be a no-go because it impinges on the free market, even if we knew it would help us all out with climate change and energy issues?"

I was sort-of critiquing the anarcho-capitalistic mindset that seems to be so popular in the world these days, where anything that impinges on free trade is bad, even if doing so is good for us in the long term.

I'm not anti-capitalist, really, I'm just not a fan of letting economics dictate what solutions are off the table, since market-driven thinking is kind of what causes many of our global problems, even if it is short-sighted market, economic thinking.

If the goal is to consume as much as we do right now, but use some alternative energy to enable us to continue that behavior, and if we assume we will consume more as population increases, wouldn't we just end up on consuming ourselves to extinction? I mean, any way you slice it we live on a finite planet with finite resources.

I don't think you're likely to find a debunking, since everything stated follows fairly logically from current trends. If the video has a flaw, it's that it doesn't really consider alternatives to those trends. Resource usage continues to grow exponentially because we still have room to grow and thus costs are not rising. If there is one thing we should know by now, it's that we won't change course until we feel the pain. Their unstated assumption is that by the time we feel that pain (via price increase) it will be too late to do anything about it, which seems like a pretty big leap to me.

It also takes a rather dim view on human ingenuity. Because we do not have solution to our energy problem now, does not mean that one does not exist.

Sticks on
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Emissary42 wrote: »

-Natural Gas is currently in a massive boom due to breakthroughs in fracking technology; this has been hailed as both a way to take a step away from coal - natural gas being the lesser of two evils - while still satisfying energy needs for the foreseeable future.

Fracking to get gas is just as environmentally destructive as removing mountains to get to the coal. Watch Gasland. The Bush Administration declared fracking free from the Clean Air and Clean Water acts, and corporations are pumping bleach, benzene, and any chemicals they have on hand into the ground (and our groundwater). This causes localized earthquakes due to sudden amounts of lubricant where there was none before as well as poisoning aquifers and streams.

• Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Fracking to get gas is just as environmentally destructive as removing mountains to get to the coal. Watch Gasland. The Bush Administration declared fracking free from the Clean Air and Clean Water acts, and corporations are pumping bleach, benzene, and any chemicals they have on hand into the ground (and our groundwater). This causes localized earthquakes due to sudden amounts of lubricant where there was none before as well as poisoning aquifers and streams.

While that's true, burning gas is much cleaner than burning coal. Plus, I believe gas stoves use less energy than electric ones since they don't have the issue of transmission inefficiency.

Darklyre on
  • Options
    The problem with solar? It's ugly for houses. The problem with electric cars? They're too expensive to just be commuting vehicles, when you can buy a cheaper car that works for commuting and long trips.

I really think the only solution is to find ways to make it easy and cheap for people to behave better. I mean, look at how long it took to start phasing out incandescent bulbs. We didn't get to really start until the tech caught up with instant on, dimmer support, etc.

Or:

- stop worrying about how our houses look and worry more about how they function

- tax the wealthy and heavily subsidize electric car purchasing

Many problems we face are actually choices.

• Options
    Sticks wrote: »

I don't think you're likely to find a debunking, since everything stated follows fairly logically from current trends. If the video has a flaw, it's that it doesn't really consider alternatives to those trends. Resource usage continues to grow exponentially because we still have room to grow and thus costs are not rising. If there is one thing we should know by now, it's that we won't change course until we feel the pain. Their unstated assumption is that by the time we feel that pain (via price increase) it will be too late to do anything about it, which seems like a pretty big leap to me.

It also takes a rather dim view on human ingenuity. Because we do not have solution to our energy problem now, does not mean that one does not exist.

Well, by the time the pain hits rich first-world white people, I would think it'd be too late.

I don't really buy their dim view of human ingenuity, but I think it's funny, in a sad way, that almost no one wants to change current trends while trying to tech our way out of this problem - we want to keep all our toys and survive while consuming at the rate we are.

Also, and I don't really have any studies or articles to link at the moment, but I would argue that the costs of our resource usage are largely hidden. There are lots of ways to keep costs down while depleting resources.

Deforestation:
    How-to-Reduce-Deforestation.jpg

REMs:
    WorldREEuse.jpg

Non-renewables:
    how-long-will-the-nonrenewable-energy-resource-base-last_50290d5638da4.png

Finite world. Finite stuff. Finite amount of toys we can build. Finite future.

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Darklyre wrote: »
    While that's true, burning gas is much cleaner than burning coal. Plus, I believe gas stoves use less energy than electric ones since they don't have the issue of transmission inefficiency.

Gas stoves do not use less energy, and you're thinking about induction stoves (which heat cookware directly) with the whole transmission inefficiency thing. Electricity generation by nuclear power is quite nonpolluting (since we can build reactors that re-use fuel rods and dump the other waste 'neath Yucca Mountain if the government grows a pair and tells Nevada to f-- off) so hopefully we can use that instead of mining, which is extremely environmentally destructive.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Or:

- stop worrying about how our houses look and worry more about how they function

Easier said than done. You could legislate that all new constructions must include solar panels, but that will be really unpopular and may lead to politicians losing their positions over it.

• Options
    edited May 2013

You seem to have missed the part where a top of the line battery now is the same cost as a top of the line battery ten years ago, yet the energy density of the current one is a large improvement on the old one. Here's another way to look at it: a Nissan Leaf goes for around $35,000 and can travel a maximum of 75 miles on its lithium ion battery. All else equal, a Nissan Leaf ten to fifteen years from now with a Lithium-Air battery would likely still cost $35,000, except with a battery of the same approximate physical size it would be able to travel 750 miles. For comparison, something with a battery pack the size of those in the top of the line Tesla Model S (around $100,000) could travel over 2,000 miles per charge with a Lithium-Air battery.

EDIT: before someone says something about running out of lithium, we're finding tons of the stuff. Like up to 18 million metric tons of it in Wyoming.

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Or:

Easier said than done. You could legislate that all new constructions must include solar panels, but that will be really unpopular and may lead to politicians losing their positions over it.

Which is one of the reasons why we're pretty much doomed - wealthy, form over function morons.

EDIT

Also, I take it you've never seen a decent home fitted for solar. They actually look really nice. I live in a community featuring some not-pants-on-head-retarded well-off folks, who enjoy paying a lower energy bill.

TBurk83 on
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

Infinite universe. Infinite stuff. Infinite amount of toys we can build. Infinite future.

-Battery Technology is improving rapidly; metal-sulfur chemistry will double battery capacity, and metal-air chemistry will reach ten times the capacity of current batteries. Unless I'm mistaken, timelines put sulfur chemistry about five years out, and metal-air ten to fifteen years out. The advent of these batteries will mean electric vehicles will be far more feasible than they are even now (particularly cost-wise), and could very well displace cars with combustion engines entirely.

-Solar: price is falling like a rock and efficiency is steadily climbing; a possible endgame is having solar be so cheap it doesn't make sense to not include it in building projects.

-Nuclear: solid and ever-improving technology especially with regards to safety, but too many people are afraid of it.

-Fusion: ITER is still fifteen to twenty years out, but a Lockheed Martin skunkworks project is going to attempt a 100 Megawatt test in 2017 with a different design that they have found promising in laboratory testing. According to that press release, if successful they would be able to begin selling said reactors in 2022.

-Orbital Solar: I believe some test plants are planned for testing within a decade, but nothing really large-scale.

1) Fracking, like all mining operations, leads to significant changes in the environment.
    2) Only if these technologies pan out.
    3) Current generation silicon solar cells have more than bottomed out in price due to competition from China. Some of the major manufacturers of silicon solar cells are going out of business because they've been dumping on the American and other markets for so long. It is my opinion that the price will rise quite a bit in the next year or two.
    4) Only Americans and Japanese are that fearful of nuclear power. Western Europe uses it extensively and continues development. Nuclear power won't grow globally, however, because of international fears of nuclear weapons developments growing from nuclear power generation.
    5) Again, only if the technologies pan out.
    6) Not even up to the point of near-future technological breakthroughs required.

• Options
    Heffling wrote: »

Infinite universe. Infinite stuff. Infinite amount of toys we can build. Infinite future.

1) Fracking, like all mining operations, leads to significant changes in the environment.
    3) Current generation silicon solar cells have more than bottomed out in price due to competition from China. Some of the major manufacturers of silicon solar cells are going out of business because they've been dumping on the American and other markets for so long. It is my opinion that the price will rise quite a bit in the next year or two.
    4) Only Americans and Japanese are that fearful of nuclear power. Western Europe uses it extensively and continues development. Nuclear power won't grow globally, however, because of international fears of nuclear weapons developments growing from nuclear power generation.
    6) Not even up to the point of near-future technological breakthroughs required.
    pollyanna.jpg

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Exactly what kind of retort is that?

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Infinite is not the word I would use.

On-topic: our best bet long-term is fusion. It's the only fuel source that is viable both in the extreme long term and for space travel. Solar is a good stop-gap, whether thermal or PV. PV materials can become a problem and it's not exactly clean to make and still requires maintenance/replacement. Nuclear would be fine for all electical loads, except for the stigma surrounding it

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Geez, if we're going to be that pessimistic we might as well just give up now. I can tell everyone here right now: there will be no having cake and eating it too in this with respect to getting off of fossil fuels. The only reason any economy will ever choose to shift from fossil fuels is if the alternative is cheaper or there are no fossil fuels left. Until such a time as this occurs, fossil fuels will be the dominant source of energy on Earth. Not even realistic legislation among first world countries will stop this from being the case, as export markets will still exist to the third world.

edit - oh, and on 4) you forgot about Germany

edit^2 - for clarity

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Exactly what kind of retort is that?

[Redacted]

TBurk83 on
  • Options
    I recommend you delete that link.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    As far as liquid fuels go, there is some optimism regarding butanol as a gasoline replacement. It's higher energy density than ethanol, and can be made from ethanol. We just need to find a way to make ethanol that is actually efficient, instead of using corn. So all these attempts at making ethanol from switch grass and other such non-food plants, if any of them start working, we can turn that into butanol and be able to keep using much of the same energy infrastructure we already have.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

You know what might solve that issue for you? Shifting your business into

THERMAL DEPOLYMERIZATION!

Alchemy works?

Be back tonight. Sleep.

Oh, I thought you were meaning transport rather than issues with shifting at the yard. So less that and more this:

trainvolcap2035.jpg

I'm trying to stick with what I personally know, and my involvement with rail starts and ends at the yard, I know it is more complex routing by rail, but that is about it.
    It's a projection to 2035, most of the system is actually below capacity now aside from major hubs where the delay is significant enough to impact overall efficiency. While I don't have much faith in the FHWA projections for the highway system because VMT is down, I feel more comfortable with this projection since it's far more based on economics than people's preferences. No matter if you want to live downtown or in the 'burbs, you still need plastic crap from China and that still has to get to you from a port somewhere.

Yeah, if Henroid orders a gas-powered turkey stuffer, with reciprocating crouton ram from Target, it is going to involve a shipping container, two semi trailers, a rail car and at least 4 tractors to get it from the Port of Tacoma to Tyler, TX. I've taken great big rolls of tissue paper from the PA/NJ border to someplace a few hundred miles north of Toronto, then came back with the cut and boxed Kleenex...one time I just drove back with the empty trailer. The amount of waste is sickening.

- John Stuart Mill