As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[ORPHAN BLACK] Now with 100% more Sheep Mask [Now on Thursdays!]

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    Wooooo :D

Also for BBCA folks after the season premier they're doing that new science fiction documentary series which looks interesting :O

Thanks for reminding me Lanz, I need to set my DVR to pick that up.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Guess it's time to start marathoning through the first season again on Amazon.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Also for BBCA folks after the season premier they're doing that new science fiction documentary series which looks interesting :O

I am amused that episode 1 is Robots and Cyborgs and they've got Rutger Hauer on for Blade Runner
    Since Replicants are biological/cloned-parts, not robotic, artificial humans

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    I am not entirely sure why I spoilered that but goin' with it

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

I am amused that episode 1 is Robots and Cyborgs and they've got Rutger Hauer on for Blade Runner
    Since Replicants are biological/cloned-parts, not robotic, artificial humans
    Interestingly enough (at least to me) the original robots were biological, made out of synthetic organic matter instead of metal or whatever.
    Means the replicants were closer to the original inception of robots then such classics as C-3P0 or Data.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Sepinwall and Fienberg review the new season their podcast. It's good, etc etc etc. But I really came here to post this:
    Alison is doing musical theater. (!) In a surprise to no one, Maslany can sing.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    So finally decided to give this a spin, based on my "if it has a thread on D&D, it's probably at least halfass decent" philosophy. Combined with Amazon recommending it over and over again for ever and ever.

I was not disappointed. Watched the whole since last Wednesday. Was off in the desert for military duty Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Had a soccer game yesterday. So basically three days. Yeah, I'm a slowpoke.

DVR set.

Does the Canadian government hire idiotic military contractors for their participation in Afghanistan? Because I feel like that's a very, very American thing and something the Canadians are smart enough to avoid. Otherwise yeah it's obviously Toronto. Or Paul's an immigrant.

Cosima was in Minnesota, others were scattered around Europe. No reason they wouldn't pick up an American for the job if they had leverage and he was "qualified," and while Canada isn't the easiest to emigrate to (temporarily or permanently) no reason to think an organization like this couldn't make it happen.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Just watched through S1. Maslany is amazing and the best thing about the show is just watching her act, plus I like Matt Frewer. Otherwise it ranged from decent to downright terrible. The dialogue just sucks, exposition all the time, lots of boring plotlines, and contrived/stupid things happening to move the actually interesting plot forward. Also, an awful and overbearing soundtrack.

I just hope they get new writers for S2 because the concept and Maslany deserve way better.

• Options
    So I've started rewatching the first season, 3 eps in right now, and I'm liking it way more this time around, and I liked to a lot the first time. I think it's mostly because I actually understand what's going on now whereas I started watching it as a background show last year until a few episodes in when I realized how good it was.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I enjoyed S1 but also thought it was wildly uneven in terms of writing and plotting, acting and style. I definitely didn't get some of the superlative praise it got in some places. Curious to see where they're taking it in S2, but I hope it'll be a more confident show that feels less like it's competing for an ADD-suffering audience's attention.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure how I'm going to handle one episode at a time. My wife and I plowed through the whole thing a few weeks back and I don't think either of us have enjoyed a show this much since Lost.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    I enjoyed S1 but also thought it was wildly uneven in terms of writing and plotting, acting and style. I definitely didn't get some of the superlative praise it got in some places. Curious to see where they're taking it in S2, but I hope it'll be a more confident show that feels less like it's competing for an ADD-suffering audience's attention.

Fair criticism, but I still think it's a great show. I'm just grading it on the first season curve. Most shows have these issues season one, and this show is better than most.

• Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Tatiana Maslany alone makes S1 of this show god-tier.

Also GL hoping for new writers or anything, lol. The directors have had this story plotted out for 10 years now, and have 3 seasons fully sketched out.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    Updated thread title

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular

Also GL hoping for new writers or anything, lol. The directors have had this story plotted out for 10 years now, and have 3 seasons fully sketched out.

So this'll be 3 seasons and then end as written? Because that would be fantastic and is something I really want out of more TV.

• Options
    Tonight!

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Clown ShoesClown Shoes Give me hay or give me death. Registered User regular

So this'll be 3 seasons and then end as written? Because that would be fantastic and is something I really want out of more TV.

No, it'll be 3 series.

*BRITSLAP!*

Seriously though, it'd be nice to have more in the middle ground between the UK 12-episodes-and-done and US stretch-it-out-until-syndication.

• Options
    It's Canadian, not British. They say season.

• Options
    Clown ShoesClown Shoes Give me hay or give me death. Registered User regular

The Queen owns Canada. :p

It's also on BBC3 over here and it just feels something British set in somewhere Americish.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Maybe this year Maslany will get all the Emmy awards.

Literally, all of them. Leading Actress, Supporting Actress, and Guest Star.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options

The Queen owns Canada. :p

It's also on BBC3 over here and it just feels something British set in somewhere Americish.

It's set in Toronto. So basically a little of both.

• Options
    15 minutes! :O

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    That did not disappoint :D

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    1) Alison remains the best
    2) Well, unless we count Maslany
    3) I forgot how quickly this show just sprints through plots
    4)
    Helena is unstoppable!

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    4)
    Helena is unstoppable!
    I wonder if she's got the same healing thing as Kira?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Give Maslany all of the awards.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Maybe this year Maslany will get all the Emmy awards.

Literally, all of them. Leading Actress, Supporting Actress, and Guest Star.
    I would laugh so hard if the opening credits played that up for one episode. Just have Maslany's various characters interspersed with the non-Maslanys, and then "with guest star Tatiana Maslany" for some one-episode clone that we never see again.

sig.gif
  • Options
    4)
    Helena is unstoppable!

I was really hating that reveal at the end (despite how great the character was), but this ends up being the reason, and if the previews are any indication it very well might be, then I am totally okay with it.

• Options
    LostNinja wrote: »
    4)
    Helena is unstoppable!

I was really hating that reveal at the end (despite how great the character was), but this ends up being the reason, and if the previews are any indication it very well might be, then I am totally okay with it.

Well, it's more as a route to have scenes with the
    fundamentalists without Sarah (probably) being there. So you've got scenes with:

Helena - Fundamentalists
    Cosima/Rachel - Dyad
    Alison - Awesome community theater
    Sarah - moving between the plots

also everyone loves Helena.

• Options
    4)
    Helena is unstoppable!

She also survived and managed to... I think it was self-treat her being stabbed through the gut with a piece of rusty rebar?

She's definitely operating above standard levels of human cellular regeneration and thresholds of pain here

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    4)
    Helena is unstoppable!

Well, it's more as a route to have scenes with the
    fundamentalists without Sarah (probably) being there. So you've got scenes with:

Helena - Fundamentalists
    Cosima/Rachel - Dyad
    Alison - Awesome community theater
    Sarah - moving between the plots

also everyone loves Helena.

You could do that without a Maslany character present (though it's understandable why you wouldn't want to), they did it frequently with the Neolution guy in the first season prior to the ProClone being introduced. That way you wouldn't have to explain away surviving a point black gunshot wound to the middle of the chest. Though if am hoping that this is a way to introduce
    what Lanz said, some sort of genetically enhanced healing element that is exclusive to the twins and Kira. I mean we already know that Sarah is different from the others in that she can reproduce, and her daughter did manage to not only survive but almost walk away relatively unscathed after getting hit by a car.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Alright, this is last season but the fingerprint thing really bothered me. Identical twins don't have the same fingerprints. Though more reading seems to indicate that they're similar I don't get why the clones all solidly popped each other. Also why the hell Beth's didn't come up since cops are routinely fingerprinted.

Latest episode:
    It really feels like she should be pulling the publicity ripcord and just blown the whole thing wide open. That patent thing on human beings will never survive any kind of publicity.

Also, minor quibble but the two geneticists talking about base pairs in very simplistic fashion was a little annoying. I get that it has to be able to be understood by the general audience but they do a very good job of not making it obvious when they're doing that elsewhere.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Season 2 premiere was good but I'm still not sure why I'm supposed to care about what's happening, or what the bad guys plan is, or why (as Devoutly said) they don't just blow the whole thing up in the press if they're worried about getting killed.
    Sarah's daughter is missing, but aside from that the plot seems to be a mess. Helena is still alive too, which reeks of bad writing.

I feel like I must be missing something because almost everywhere I look, this show is getting ridiculous praise. I just see a firmly mediocre show with hardly any narrative drive and an amazing lead performance.

• Options
    Simplest version is that you like these characters so are interested in what they're doing, which I do. I mean a lot of that is Maslany, but Felix is also great.

Bad guys could be doing all kinds of things. Could be as simple as highly unethical scientific progress, but considering Leekie's introduction, it's more profit (or prophet?) based. On the other side, an affront to God's singular ability to create life.

As for the press, Sarah doesn't trust authority to begin with and is convinced Dyad is all powerful (from her perspective, not completely insane) as established by her conversations with Art, Alison just wants a return to normalcy and being outed as a clone would end that, and Cosima views the whole thing as an awesome science experiment on some level, just one she'd like to retain control over.

But mostly I just like those three + Felix, and even Art a little bit. Paul I can have leave.

Thematically, it's like all about feminism. Cosima even paraphrases "my body, my choice" in the last episode.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Alright, this is last season but the fingerprint thing really bothered me. Identical twins don't have the same fingerprints. Though more reading seems to indicate that they're similar I don't get why the clones all solidly popped each other. Also why the hell Beth's didn't come up since cops are routinely fingerprinted.

Latest episode:
    It really feels like she should be pulling the publicity ripcord and just blown the whole thing wide open. That patent thing on human beings will never survive any kind of publicity.

Also, minor quibble but the two geneticists talking about base pairs in very simplistic fashion was a little annoying. I get that it has to be able to be understood by the general audience but they do a very good job of not making it obvious when they're doing that elsewhere.
    No, the patent thing wouldn't stand any kind of publicity.

But think about it, already there's barely a handful of people who know about clones.
    And it seems like almost half of them think they're abominations and want to kill them.

Add to that group the general population and their 'opinions'....every clone would be dead in a week.

• Options
    Simplest version is that you like these characters so are interested in what they're doing, which I do. I mean a lot of that is Maslany, but Felix is also great.

Bad guys could be doing all kinds of things. Could be as simple as highly unethical scientific progress, but considering Leekie's introduction, it's more profit (or prophet?) based. On the other side, an affront to God's singular ability to create life.

As for the press, Sarah doesn't trust authority to begin with and is convinced Dyad is all powerful (from her perspective, not completely insane) as established by her conversations with Art, Alison just wants a return to normalcy and being outed as a clone would end that, and Cosima views the whole thing as an awesome science experiment on some level, just one she'd like to retain control over.

But mostly I just like those three + Felix, and even Art a little bit. Paul I can have leave.

Thematically, it's like all about feminism. Cosima even paraphrases "my body, my choice" in the last episode.

Paul is awful, but mostly because that guy cannot act. He should stick to male modeling or whatever.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Paul can't act, but dude is gorgeous, so I forgive him.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    A character being bland as fuck but nice to look at, that's something I can accept in a film if necessary. In a series that goes on for much longer? Give me a character that's interesting or GTFO.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    I don't even think it's the character that's uninteresting (I mean, it'll never be fascinating, but there's nothing inherently dull about haunted military dude), it's the performance that makes him uninteresting. Especially rough that he has to share the screen with Maslany(s) all the time.

• Options
    A bit fractured and not quite as exciting as last week.

From the preview:
    Hey, that's Maslany's actual accent!