As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Comcast and buying vs renting modems

ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
I currently have Comcast Internet and telephone, and Direct TV for my TV. Because i am not bundled any more I am getting boned on my rates for Phone & Internet. Consequently I am considering switching my phone from Comcast to BasicTalk service. I have no other options for internet, so I will have to stick with Comcast for that.

So my question is... Currently I am paying 7 bucks a month to rent the modem from Comcast. From what I understand if you have phone service through them, then you need a special modem that only Comcast provides. However, if you do you phone service through another provider then you can use any quality modem. So, if I switch my phone service, can I go out and purchase my own modem and tell Comcast to stop billing me the 7 bucks?

Also, can anyone recommend me a good modem for this application?

Thanks for the help!

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Have you considered getting a magicJack plus and not pay the 10 bucks a month for Basictalk?

• Options
    I have considered magicjack, and I am not interested in that product.

So for the purposes of this conversation, lets assume that the Basictalk thing is a done deal and discuss options for the modem.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Is there phone service VoIP or something? I can understand why you'd need their special modem if that was the case.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It is, Comcast phone is VoIP. So the Basic Talk has its own box thingy. That why I am hoping that any quality modem will suffice if I am only using Comcast for their internet service.

Thundyrkatz on
  • Options
    Yeah you should be fine there, check for supported modem vendors from them. I figure if you're hard up for a land line phone and don't want to just cut the cord on it completely, there's always google voice/skype ?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    We have this modem which works very well, and just so happens to be on sale right now.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    That looks like a good Modem Shadowfire, do you also have Comcast?

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    That modem should work just fine with Comcast. And I definitely recommend buying one instead of continuing to rent.

Just about any DOCSIS 3 cable modem should work. I say should because there may be specific models that have problems (I work for another cable company and we have had a couple pop up over the years). But Motorola is a solid brand.

• Options
    Thanks for the vote of confidence for the Motorola modem Tomanta, coming from an industry insider that makes me feel even better! =)

• Options
    SURFBoard modems are the shit. Which is the opposite of shit.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Yea, I have Comcast. My connection speeds have been faster with that modem than the stock garbage we were renting from Comcast.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    awesome, thanks for all the help you guys! I have ordered the modem. =)

• Options
    Eggplant WizardEggplant Wizard Little Rock, ARRegistered User regular
    Hopefully your experience with this is better than mine was, but be prepared for the possibility of pain. There are scenarios in which Comcast, upon seeing a new modem connected to their network, will assume they own it. Then you have to fight to get the $7 monthly charge taken off. They put the burden on you to prove that you own the device. I ended up having to make hours of phone calls and then fax them a picture of the purchase receipt and the box.

Hello
  • Options
    wow, that sounds crazy. I was assuming that returning the modem I currently have to them, and making sure to keep the return receipt would be sufficient to prove to them that I no longer have one of their modems. But i will be sure to retain the purchase receipt for the new modem just in case, thanks for the tip!

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    One random tip from my experience with Comcast, related from your reference.

I purchased my own modem when I had Comcast. When the service tech came out to set me up the first time, I didn't accept his modem and he took it back.

When I closed my account three years later Comcast said I had their modem (and a cable box I'd never gotten) and used that to hold a refund they owed me. I still haven't been able to resolve this problem and doubt I ever will without small claims court. Make sure the records Comcast has for equipment you're "borrowing" from them matches with what you have.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    We have this modem which works very well, and just so happens to be on sale right now.

Second vote here for this modem. It is ridiculously good. (I use Comcast as well, in the SF Bay Area.)

Instead of BasicTalk, I bought an Ooma, and I have had no problems with it at all. If you're looking for a VOIP service and plan on using it for more than a year, paying up front with Ooma might be a good option for you. Keep in mind that you will still be paying whatever local/national fees and taxes are in place to manage things like 911 service (usually $2-$5 per month) regardless of whatever VOIP option you go with.