As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DKC Tropical Freeze: The sound of a thousand balloons popping.

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
edited February 2014 in Games and Technology
Donkey-Kong-Country-Tropical-Freeze-990x534.png
Welcome to the Donkey Kong Country Returns thread.

Here we will discuss the Wii and 3DS versions of DKCR and the upcoming DKC: Tropical Freeze. You can bring up past SNES and N64 DK games, but let's try and focus on the newer titles.

What is DKC?

DKC is an action-platformer, from amazing developer Retro, that brings the classic SNES games into the next generation. Explore multiple worlds, each containing several secret-filled levels. In the Nintendo 3DS version of the game, players can choose from normal or remixed mode. Remixed mode adds more hearts and is generally a little easier to play. The 3DS game also features a new unlockable ninth world with extremely challenging levels to play. Finally, you can play a two-players local wireless mode with each player controlling a different character.

Here's a quick trailer to give you a taste of the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYWv87Y1fAA

and here's a video of Cranky Kong in action!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9oJ_b4zB4Q

The cast

donkey_kong_country_returns_conceptart_Dv7as.jpg

Donkey Kong

Our main character who is out to get his banana stash back from the bad guys. Always looks sharp in his DK tie.

diddy.png

Diddy Kong

DK's sidekick who brings some jungle tech to the fight. Sports a pimp Nintendo hat.

415px-Dixie_Kong_-_Donkey_Kong_Country_Tropical_Freeze-259x300.png

Dixie Kong

Dixie is back to help DK save the island. She has a propeller move that gives DK a little extra height into his jumps.

DiddyReturns.png

Cranky Kong

Old Cranky Kong runs a shop which players can spend their hard-earned banana coins at is now a Scrooge McDuck style playable character! Pro tip: Crank Kong is the actual barrel tossing Donkey Kong from the 1981 arcade classic.

gamraaaaaammmmmmmmbiii530.jpg

Rambi

A Rhino who helps DK in his journey. He's like Yoshi from Mario games. A faithful sidekick who helps our hero succeed....often times before being abandoned during mid-jump over a huge pit.

The moves

As DK, you can run, jump, pound the ground, roll, grab/climb, and blow on things (no really!). If you find a "DK" barrel, you can smash it open to have your little buddy Diddy jump on your back. With Diddy/Dixie/Kranky equipped, DK gets new abilities added to his jump.

You'll need all of these moves in order to unlock all the secrets the game has to offer. If you can't reach something or are stuck, try using every move in your arsenal. You might be surprised with the results!

In multiplayer mode, Diddy/Dixie/Kranky has their own moves but they are typically just flashier versions of DKs.

Secrets and collectable stuff

As in DKC games prior, there is plenty of stuff to collect. There is a lot to find and explore so don't be shy. Explore everything, look everywhere, pound the ground, and blow on plants. Stuff will pop up all over the place. And never forget, it is your job to COLLECT EVERYTHING! :) Here's a sampling of what you can find:

Bananas: These are like coins in Mario games. Collect 100 to earn another balloon.

Balloons: These are DK's lives. You earn them quite frequently, but don't get too cocky, you will burn through them as the game progresses.

Banana coins: Use the special coins in Cranky's Shop to buy power-ups and Balloons.

KONG letters: 4 letters (K-O-N-G) are scattered through each stage. Collect all of the letters on each stage in a world to unlock a hidden temple in that world.

Puzzle pieces: Variable number of pieces, typically between 5 and 9, are hidden in each level. Collect them all to unlock artwork and music.

Time medals: You can also unlock bronze, silver, or gold medals by finishing a stage under a certain time limit. Go for gold!

Game-Donkey-Kong.jpg

DK approves this thread. You should too.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page
Sterica on

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Reserved for future pics, videos, and secret stuff.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    Thi is gonna be good but I wish the R was for racing. :(

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    this is where i profess my love for this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE12rzD0prk

it makes dying about a dozen times to some crazy bullshit while riding shotgun on a rickety-ass nitro barrel not too bad at all

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    is this the same as the wii title but without waggle for jumping or rolling or whatever it was?

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcP91tQ4ZSM

Now I can approve of this thread.

• Options
    KroenenKroenen Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    i-pprDmhH-950x10000.jpg

This seems relevant.

Kroenen on
  • Options
    JimboJimbo down underRegistered User regular
    I got this on wii way back and played the crap out of it. Tempted to buy a 3ds to re enjoy it in 3d

404 not found
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Jimbo wrote: »
    I got this on wii way back and played the crap out of it. Tempted to buy a 3ds to re enjoy it in 3d

It's worth it I'd say. Plus they added like 8 new levels that rumor has it are really dang good.

I had this on Wii but never beat it because I felt obligated to do everything as I went along, including the K levels. This time I will just focus on beating the game, I think. Plus it's so much easier to play it on a portable than to tether myself to the TV, even if I'm just sitting at my computer.

I'm almost to the end of World 3. It's amazing how many cool unique ideas there are in this game, it's like a 2D Mario Galaxy. New mechanic in this level, then we'll throw it out and come up with something new for the next one...no idea wears out its welcome.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    You misspelled the game's title there, Dover. Several times, in fact. I'm disappointed.

I beat the game yesterday (well, "beat" as in 100%'ed it, meaning clearing all the levels and collecting all the KONG LONG letters. I couldn't be arsed to collect all the puzzle pieces or do time attack at all and I'm not nearly suicidal enough to do
    Mirror Mode
    ) and it was fantastic. Not a huge surprise since I played the Wii version, but yeah.

I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that this is the best 2D platformer since Super Mario World. The level design especially is top notch, the way they gradually introduce obstacles, first in a mostly non-threatening way so you can learn how to deal with them and then making you put what you've learned to the test..just outstanding all throughout the game.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Loved this game. Hated the last boss
    I hope they tweaked him a bit.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    What do yo mean, tweaked how?

Yeah, he's tough, but he clearly telegraphs all his attacks. It's just a matter of execution.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I think the last boss gets easier if you die a whole bunch...

I think by the end of the fight I was at about 35 deaths. 10-15 on the ride to get to him, and the rest at the boss itself. His hands are actually suuuuuuper easy to dodge(which took me a while to notice...). His bullet hellish attacks... not so much. Then he starts recovering super fast before you get the chance to boop him.

On my last try, though, he didn't do any of the more intense flame attacks, and it was like I had all the time in the world to jump on him. The game must've taken pity on me.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    We picked up a copy of this last weekend. My son hasn't made it very far in, I'm at I think 4-2ish. Do we know if there is any final reward for spelling KONG/gathering puzzles? Because I'm sucking at that.

• Options
    We picked up a copy of this last weekend. My son hasn't made it very far in, I'm at I think 4-2ish. Do we know if there is any final reward for spelling KONG/gathering puzzles? Because I'm sucking at that.

Puzzle pieces get you artwork, songs and other stuff in the Extras section. Collecting the KONG letters gives you access to additional, really tough levels.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I couldn't really enjoy the Wii version because every time I barely moved the controller he would do the ground pound attack.

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    I got a little too excited when I beat 6k last night (the lava one).

There was spit coming out of my mouth. I''m worried about how I would look playing this in public.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

Puzzle pieces get you artwork, songs and other stuff in the Extras section. Collecting the KONG letters gives you access to additional, really tough levels.

Damn... I forgot that the puzzles just give you extras. I had been beating a world with the Kong LONG letters and then going back later that day for all of the puzzle pieces. This makes it much more manageable.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    this is where i profess my love for this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE12rzD0prk

it makes dying about a dozen times to some crazy bullshit while riding shotgun on a rickety-ass nitro barrel not too bad at all

I had to listen to this song for like 35 minutes while being killed by a giant bat over and over again. I still didn't get tired of it.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Good thread.

Donkey-Kong-Character-psd87647.png

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    You misspelled the game's title there, Dover. Several times, in fact. I'm disappointed.

You actually had me scanning the OP looking for mistakes only to realize you're referencing the tired, played out Donkey Long thingy.

As for the game, I've finished all of the first world except the last stage. I decided that I was going to redo each level until I got all the KONG letters and puzzle pieces. So far, it's been pretty tough but I've managed.

Then I went to 1-K. I entered with 40+ balloons and left with 19. That doesn't even take into account the extra balloons I earned from picking up bananas. UGH! :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Had this pre-ordered at NewEgg due to a sale they had a while back (plus no tax and free shipping) even though I already have the Wii version.

I'm roughly through the 3DS version and it's a solid portable version of the game, even though I still prefer it on the Wii.

Some double-images in the 3D on some of the darker levels can be annoying, though I only see it with my left eye most of the time, so it may be slowly rotting in its socket as far as I know.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Has there been any indication why the original three Donkey Kong Countries were yanked off the Virtual Console and when they may be coming back on one of the consoles?

• Options
    Lars wrote: »
    Has there been any indication why the original three Donkey Kong Countries were yanked off the Virtual Console and when they may be coming back on one of the consoles?

Nothing yet, just wild speculation. Especially since 2014 is the 20 year anniversary.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    So I just beat platform panic in the first world. Jesus christ

Fun as all hell though

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »

Fun as all hell though

and that shit is small time compared to some of the other K levels

just fucking bonkers

getting to the utterly bizarre special level for beating them was worth it though. no idea what the expanded world 9 levels for the 3ds are like, but they have got to be more insane that.

• Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »

You actually had me scanning the OP looking for mistakes only to realize you're referencing the tired, played out Donkey Long thingy.

Lies! Slander!

Fun as all hell though

just fucking bonkers

getting to the utterly bizarre special level for beating them was worth it though. no idea what the expanded world 9 levels for the 3ds are like, but they have got to be more insane that.

I've got some bad news for you, buddy.
    Those were the new levels added to the 3DS version.

• Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular

Lies! Slander!

Fun as all hell though

just fucking bonkers

I've got some bad news for you, buddy.
    Those were the new levels added to the 3DS version.

Awkward.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    Derp, I can't read.
    While the 8 new levels were good and unique, design-wise, I would've expected them to be more difficult, given that you have to beat the K levels to reach them.

• Options
    I must admit that I plan on using the Internet when I get stuck looking for puzzle pieces or KONG letters. I mean, I don't want to, but I also want to finish the game in a reasonable time with all of them collected.

This makes me a horrible person doesn't it?
    BTW, this game is really good. I'm quite pleased I got it. PA hype approved!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Nah, many of the puzzle pieces are fucking hard to find. The KONG letters are pretty much always fairly obvious though.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    So I saw a few minutes of the Giant Bomb quick look on this, and Patrick couldn't stop railing on the game. Like.. outright hating on it. He admits to loving the Wii version other than the frustrating waggle (which he says he could've bypassed with a nunchuck but he wanted to play it NES style), but his main complaint seems to be the graphics.

Are they really that bad compared to the Wii version?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Nah, many of the puzzle pieces are fucking hard to find. The KONG letters are pretty much always fairly obvious though.

But that's what sqawks is for!

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    skeldare wrote: »
    Lars wrote: »

Nothing yet, just wild speculation. Especially since 2014 is the 20 year anniversary.
    Well, I feel old now.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    So I saw a few minutes of the Giant Bomb quick look on this, and Patrick couldn't stop railing on the game. Like.. outright hating on it. He admits to loving the Wii version other than the frustrating waggle (which he says he could've bypassed with a nunchuck but he wanted to play it NES style), but his main complaint seems to be the graphics.

Are they really that bad compared to the Wii version?

If they are, I must be completely blind.

So I'm going to say no.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Graphics? Do people really still give a shit about how a game looks? Geese everywhere....

Edit: And the insta-awesome from Geth? Bonus!

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Ryan and Patrick were complaining about heavy aliasing, moreso when the 3D mode was on.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Ryan and Patrick were complaining about heavy aliasing, moreso when the 3D mode was on.

I don't know what this means so I can't look out for it. Therefore I don't notice it. So I guess it REALLY DOESNT MATTER.
    Please no-one tell me what it means.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options

But that's what sqawks is for!

What are you, some kind of casual? :P

Also, the graphics are amazing. Among the best on the 3DS.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    The graphics do leave a bit to be desired but the game is solid so I sorta don't care

If I could have the visuals of the Wii version with the no-waggle of the 3DS version, I would, but I can't

Unless they port this again to the Wii U

• Options
    Graphics? Do people really still give a shit about how a game looks? Geese everywhere....

Edit: And the insta-awesome from Geth? Bonus!

Unless DK's arm hair was perfectly rendered with the help of mo-cap monkeys, the graphics are teh suckzor.