As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Babylon 5] Who Are You?

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    So shadows ask "what do you want?".
    Vorlons ask "who are you?"
    Now that humans end up being the caretakers of the galaxy, what will they ask?
    "how do you do?"

"how r u?"

sig.gif
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    U mad?

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    TK-42-1 wrote: »

Flyin through space, havin a sunspot...

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    "how do you do?"

Humans:
    http://youtu.be/rNBNgHyJjTA

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    "how do you do?"

I don't remember where I read it, but I've had it in my head for a long time that our question is "Where are you going?"

Nowadays the wiki article says that's the Technomage question. I don't know where they're pulling that from, and I don't fully trust it - the questions ought to ... represent (isn't quite the right word) the species asking them; the Technomages and Emperor Turhan are not species unto themselves.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    That sounds far too much like the Microsoft slogan.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Taranis wrote: »
    I'm on episode 16 of the first season. So far it really feels like a 90's show for reasons I can't explain (probably the cinematography and poor DVD quality).

The episodes with the sick child with religious parents and the shadow asking each ambassador what they wanted did a pretty cool of job explaining each races' motivations.

I vaguely remember what's coming in the later seasons which makes watching through the first season a bit easier, but it's slow going.

The best description I've heard of the first season is that it's a lot of "alien of the week" episodes. There's groundwork exposition there, but also a LOT of Star-Trek-esque "look at this aliens species we made!"

Nowadays, I skip most of the first season. It's got some important stuff for new viewers and was entertaining enough when it came out back in the day, but there's just not much reason to slog through most of it when you already know what is going on.

Also, everybody has it wrong with how the question the human race would ask. If my experiences with the filthy, filthy naked apes has taught me anything, it would be that their first question would be this and in exactly this way:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzMKYtQB3YQ

Because if there's anything the human race wants to do, it's to bonk everything.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    I like it.
    Simple, elegant, functional and it's just obscure enough to sound all wise and mystic like.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    That sounds far too much like the Microsoft slogan.

"Imagine a world..."

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    I really like how existential Babylon 5 is about inter-species sex compared to Star Trek. Want to sleep with that alien? It might be physically impossible or could end with your death. In many ways the aliens in this show are already better than Star Trek (which I've always compared it to since I was a kid).

Sinclair can't leave the show fast enough. I really don't think he's a good actor.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I like it.
    Simple, elegant, functional and it's just obscure enough to sound all wise and mystic like.

It really asks whatever people want it to ask. They can interpret it as personally asking how their life is, how their people are doing, what they think of the universe, etc. And if they pick up on the subtext and act all offended, you can just be like "cool it, alien dude, it means what you want it to mean. Go be excellent to each other."

And if they pick up the subtext and are open to the idea, well, that race of insect-monkeys isn't going to breed itself. You gotta do who you gotta do, in whatever port, vent, sac, or clutch presents itself.
    Taranis wrote: »
    I really like how existential Babylon 5 is about inter-species sex compared to Star Trek. Want to sleep with that alien? It might be physically impossible or could end with your death. In many ways the aliens in this show are already better than Star Trek (which I've always compared it to since I was a kid).

Hey, what's a little methane between "just friends", right? Besides poisonous, I mean. And B5 doesn't have the truly cringeworthy ST:TNG retcon of implying one alien race seeded the galaxy with a bunch of similar life, which is why everybody is so similar.

On the note of truly outlandish alien species, I just thought of a group of folks who could actually handle continue something in the B5 universe: the folks who made Farscape. They went all-out in the critter effects, and their space stuff looks pretty great. They tended to have a bit less of a "cosmic" focus than B5 did, but they still delved in there from time to time while still keeping the show about the characters instead of silly organization rules and philosophies.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    The team behind Farscape could do anything and I'd watch it.

Also, Peter Jurasik is an amazing actor. All of the alien actors are pretty good, but so far he's the best.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Farscape kind of went too far in the other direction. As a result one out of three species is just plain magic... or one of those things from Dark Crystal.

• Options
    PolarisPolaris I am powerless against the sky. Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Tamin wrote: »
    "how do you do?"

I don't remember where I read it, but I've had it in my head for a long time that our question is "Where are you going?"

Nowadays the wiki article says that's the Technomage question. I don't know where they're pulling that from, and I don't fully trust it - the questions ought to ... represent (isn't quite the right word) the species asking them; the Technomages and Emperor Turhan are not species unto themselves.
    "You can't turn away from death simply because you're afraid of what
    might happen without you. That's not enough! You're not embracing
    life. You're fleeing death! So you're caught in between. Unable
    to go forward or backward. Your friends need what you can be when
    you are no longer afraid. When you know who you are and why you are
    and what you want. When you are no longer looking for reasons to
    live but can simply be." - Lorien, Whatever Happened to Mr. Garabaldi.

Note the third question. Crusade took those three questions and added the fourth, "Where are you going?" it's right there in the opening credits of Crusade. Though JMS dropped the "Why?" question, presumably for mysterious reasons never to be revealed. Although, maybe the questions are related.

Polaris on
  • Options
    fugacityfugacity Registered User regular
    I think our question should be: "What can change the nature of a man?"

• Options
    it's a good question!

little long-winded, though :)

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    where are you going?

and how will you get there?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    where are you going?

Can I bum a ride?

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    TK-42-1 wrote: »

If their answer is, "Up is relative in space," they are clearly inferior.
    If their answer is, "Nothin' much. How about you?" they are worthy allies and trading partners.
    If their answer is, "Wow, apparently I've fallen through a wormhole into the year 2000", surrender immediately and without condition.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    see317 wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »
    where are you going?

Can I bum a ride?
    do you have your towel?

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    All this talk about questions. Nothing about answers.

I'm rewatching the show again and I'm in season 2. I forgot how awesome Vir is.
    Please tell me he gets his wish regarding Morden.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Turkson wrote: »

Vir is the only one who actually gets his wish.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Entaru wrote: »

And he actually does look up and waves... just like this.
    Technically though, he doesn't get his wish, as he wished to live just long enough to see that. Turns out, he lives a lot longer then that.

• Options

And he actually does look up and waves... just like this.
    Technically though, he doesn't get his wish, as he wished to live just long enough to see that. Turns out, he lives a lot longer then that.

Because he chose wisely, he actually gets more than what he wished for.

Be honest, that's a pretty perfect wish.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Man, I thought Crusade's questions were "Who do you serve?" and "Who do you trust?"

Been a long damn time. Whose damn questions were those?

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    1336330154823.jpg

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

No, they all get their wish.
    Londo wishes for his people to be a proud empire again instead of the decadence he perceives, and for himself to be power. His people go on to reconquer the Narn, then a dozen other races according to a discussion he had with Refa, and have a revival of imperial power - until it all collapses again and Centauri Prime is left in ruins. And he does become powerful, eventually Emperor, except he's the Drak's puppet emperor ruling over ruins.

G'Kar wishes for the Centauri to pay for what they did to the Narn. Centauri Prime is bombed into ruins, and the Narn are among those doing it. But by that point G'Kar has outgrown his anger and befriended Londo, and is horrified by what happens.

Deleen never answered the question, and Kosh prevented Morden from asking Sinclair.

Vir of course gets exactly what he wanted, and is the only one who was happy about it.

So, everyone who answered Morden's question got what they asked for.

sig.gif
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Man, I thought Crusade's questions were "Who do you serve?" and "Who do you trust?"

Been a long damn time. Whose damn questions were those?

Yup, those are that series' questions. Delivered by Galen.

And most of the series was apparently going to be about conspiracies and coups or something.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    It would have been cool if the Crusade guys had found the cure or whatever but returned to an Earthgov so abhorrently corrupt that they decided to wipe out all remaining govt. installations from orbit before administering the cure….
    Or something of that nature at least.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

Londo wishes for his people to be a proud empire again instead of the decadence he perceives, and for himself to be power. His people go on to reconquer the Narn, then a dozen other races according to a discussion he had with Refa, and have a revival of imperial power - until it all collapses again and Centauri Prime is left in ruins. And he does become powerful, eventually Emperor, except he's the Drak's puppet emperor ruling over ruins.

G'Kar wishes for the Centauri to pay for what they did to the Narn. Centauri Prime is bombed into ruins, and the Narn are among those doing it. But by that point G'Kar has outgrown his anger and befriended Londo, and is horrified by what happens.

Deleen never answered the question, and Kosh prevented Morden from asking Sinclair.

Vir of course gets exactly what he wanted, and is the only one who was happy about it.

Actually, Delenn asked Morden to leave, and he did just that.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    an observation: I would assume the members of the League, PsiCorp and / or EarthGov were all asked the question, though we never hear their answer.

Tamin on
  • Options
    an observation: I would assume the members of the League, PsiCorp and / or EarthGov were all asked the question, though we never hear their answer.

I wouldn't bet on the League. They are too weak.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    It would have been cool if the Crusade guys had found the cure or whatever but returned to an Earthgov so abhorrently corrupt that they decided to wipe out all remaining govt. installations from orbit before administering the cure….

This being a spin-off from Babylon 5 the show had a 50/50 chance at doing that.

• Options

Well, the disease was apparently going to be cured by like S2 or 3 and the rest of the season would be about something else and involve some sort of conspiracy in Earthforce and I think they said at some point the ship might go rogue. Don't remember all the details.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »
    Well, the disease was apparently going to be cured by like S2 or 3 and the rest of the season would be about something else and involve some sort of conspiracy in Earthforce and I think they said at some point the ship might go rogue. Don't remember all the details.

From what I've read, the plan was that the Excalibur would find the cure and resolve that plot arc like halfway through season 2. After that they would get caught up in the Psi war, and eventually get caught up in a war between Mars and Earth.

• Options
    edited July 2013

From what I've read, the plan was that the Excalibur would find the cure and resolve that plot arc like halfway through season 2. After that they would get caught up in the Psi war, and eventually get caught up in a war between Mars and Earth.

The Telepath War is already over at this point.

shryke on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »

Actually, Delenn asked Morden to leave, and he did just that.

Morden's just that kind of guy who gives everyone what they want.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular

I wouldn't bet on the League. They are too weak.

They only start talking to the League worlds after the Centauri start ripping through them. It's actually a fairly crucial part of their pretty well thought out plan.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    If humans ascended and had a question to ask I like it being "Why are you here?"

Seems right to me.

And yeah the second season of Crusade would have had them finding the cure quick enough and basically be framed and hunted for another matter. What got no idea but they would be sought after by pretty much everyone.