As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SEATTLE: Nerd Night/Tabletop atop the Columbia Tower (now a monthly thing!)

QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
edited June 2013 in PAX General Discussion
What: An evening of tabletop gaming, libations, and food w/ your fellow nerds
When: 1st Monday of every month, 6-10 pm
Where: Columbia Tower Club, 75th/76th floors of Columbia Tower (that's the big black one that towers over all the other ones, for those who don't know)
Cost: Free (Pay for your own food/drinks, no minimums)
Age requirements: 21+, no exceptions

June openings (TONIGHT 3/6/13, 6-10 pm): 3

Myself and another member of the Columbia Tower Club have started a monthly nerd night (tabletop only; we haven't convinced them to grant us use of the 103" plasma for video games just yet :P) at the club. Our first one was last month, and was a raging success, so we want to keep this going. Headcount for these events is currently somewhat limited, as each sponsoring member is only allowed to bring X non-members into the club at a given time, and right now it's just the 2 of us. Each CTC member that becomes a sponsor of the Nerd Night expands the amount of people we can bring up by 15. We're hoping to double our capacity for next month after this evening, as a couple more will be attending to see what it's about....we shall see.

The only requirements are A) you bring a game to share, B) you follow the club's dress/behaviour code (it is a private club and any issues caused will come down on those of us sponsoring the events and potentially kill the events going forward, after all), C) you follow Wheaton's Law and D) you SHOW UP. Since RSVP's are limited, if you say you'll be there and don't show, you've taken a spot away from someone else who wanted to go. See also: C. If you RSVP and no-show, you lose future privileges to attend. The events are free to attend (my co-host and I front those costs in the form of our membership dues), and you do have access to food and drink from the bar/restaurant on the 75th floor during the event.

Anyhow, for tonight's event we have 3 spots we've left open on a floating basis. If you'd like one of them, send me a message with your email and I'll send you an invite. Would be nice to get to know some of the forum crowd, and it proves a good networking opportunity. All of us are game geeks, obviously, and most of us are connected professionals, so expansion of network and power is a good thing.

Quintious on

• Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Do you mean June 3 or March 6? :P

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    I notate my dates the *proper* way :)

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    The proper way is 2013-06-03 according to international standard :)

• Options
    zerzhul wrote: »
    The proper way is 2013-06-03 according to international standard :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_and_time_notation_in_the_United_Kingdom

Denied! :P

Anyhow, we were down to 2 openings, and we're back up to 3 as one person has come down with a post-5K Pox.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601

I'll stop being off topic now, but I'm not wrong.

• Options
    I'd like to suggest using date notation that is common in the geographical area that you're in. Month-Day-Year is how we do it in Seattle. It may not be 'proper' but it's a lot less confusing. Besides, more people will be interested in this event if you don't come across as 'that guy' who's contrary just for the sake of it.

• Options
    ISO standards aside (had a feeling you were gonna bust that out and trample my "only the Commonwealth counts" play), I'm not from this country and my way of notating is too ingrained :). But we are getting a bit off topic on this one at this point.

2 spots left (again after going from 3>2>3)

• Options
    All booked up for this month. Next one will likely be July 1st.

• Options
    I went to this last night and it was really fantastic. Everyone was super nice, the views were outstanding, and there were around 30 folks in attendance. @Quintious was a great host and a lot of fun.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Sweet, count me in if there's an opening for July 1 or whenever the July get-together is. I like tabletop gaming, and I like classy surroundings, so win-win.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    Next one has been scheduled for the 8th of July (breaking the norm of the 1st Monday of the month in this instance so as to not compete with 4th of July holiday plans as well as the fact that my co-host will be out of state that day). If interested, send the messages in now and I'll issue out floating invites on a FCFS basis.

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    This sounds like a lot of fun. I will keep an eye on this thread, but I just last week made arrangements to go to a Pen and Paper on Mondays. I might ask to skip a week in advance though as this sounds fun. And forumers.. yeah!

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    K, lemme know. The main RSVP list is completely booked up at this point, but I still have 2 remaining "floating" invites I can hand out to "new" people who aren't in the existing group.

• Options
    AGlassOfMilkAGlassOfMilk Registered User regular
    This sounds interesting. However, the details are lacking. What kinds of games are being played?

• Options
    It's BYOG, so whatever shows up. We've had everything from Munchkin to Arkham Horror up there.

• Options
    We're officially full up for this month (looks like we're coming in just under 50 this time around).

• Options
    RedwingedblackbirdRedwingedblackbird Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Found out about this a little too late... But maybe I'll be in for next month. I've got literally two gorilla boxes full of tabletop games, so I'm sure I could contribute a game a two, lol.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Nerd Night IV is confirmed and set for August 5th, 6-10 pm. Same location. Anyone interested in attending, please message me.

Also, be on the lookout for an organized pre-PAX charity gaming event that will be posted up in the next day or 2. Just finalizing some details and getting the page set up. It's gonna be pretty spectacular.

Quintious on
  • Options
    Last call for RSVP's for Monday's game night. We've got a significantly higher cap this time around, so have seats available.

• Options
    majestyjanellemajestyjanelle Registered User new member
    this sounds cool, but i'm assuming there wont be one for September due to pax?

• Options
    If there is, it'll be on the 2nd Monday (the 9th) of the month. That said, I don't know that we're going to do one next month simply because there's the pre-PAX tabletop/dinner charity thing we're doing on the 29th ( forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/181688/pre-pax-charity-tabletop-event-and-dinner-august-29th-76th-floor-of-columbia-tower#latest ) that we're focusing on.

• Options
    Just a heads up, we're leaving Nerd Night dark for September. We've got the Pre-PAX charity thing at the Club on Thursday, then 4 days of gaming at PAX going into Labour Day...normally we'd push Nerd Night to the 9th, but I think a lot of us are going to be a bit burned out for a little bit after that 5 day marathon. We'll start it back up again in October.

• Options
    The next Nerd Night atop the Columbia Tower is set. October 7th from 6-10 pm. Any newbies interested in joining us, send me a PM and I'll get you squared away.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    That was awesome, thanks again to our host and to everyone who brought cool games. I got to play a round of Sentinels of the Multiverse, which is a great cooperative superhero card game. And a game of Shadows over Camelot, where I was cast as the presumably-moustache-twirling medieval villain, which felt a bit like game/dungeon-mastering, which I haven't done in ages.

Service at the Columbia Tower Club was an improvement over the two previous events I attended, as well. Good to see this group is becoming a fixture there, I hope this continues for the foreseeable future.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    RSVP's are open for Nerd Night....6? I've lost count. November 4th, 6-10. Free as always. No flaking out.

• Options
    I completely forgot to announce this. Nerd Night VII is this coming Monday, December 9th, 6-10 pm and RSVP's are open for it (no need to message me if you've already RSVP'd through one of the other channels these are announced on). Usually these happen the first Monday of each month, but the Seahawks being in town this week for the Saints game and the madness that was going to cause had us push it. So if you want to go, send me a message.

• Options
    Nerd Night VIII: January 6th. RSVP's open

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Now I'm here, I can start attending these. When is the next one?

• Options
    February 3rd is the next one. RSVP's will open next week.

• Options
    RSVP's open for Nerd Night IX. February 3rd, 6-10. Same location. PM for invite.

• Options
    NoviteNovite Spokane, WARegistered User new member
    There are many times that I hate not living in Seattle. This is one of them.

• Options
    Nerd Night X RSVP's now open. March 3rd (Monday), 6-10 pm. Same location. Message for invites.

• Options
    RSVP's for Nerd Night XII are now open. You guys know the drill.

This one is going to fall on Cinco De Mayo (May 5th). 6-10. Drinks + games = ??

• Options
    RavengerRavenger Trolololo Registered User regular
    Does anybody know what happened to this?

<@heels&gt; Ravenger: i do not talk to anyone
    <+Ravenger> you are talking to me
    <@heels&gt; oh god, what am i doing
  • Options
    ReenieReenie Registered User regular
    These events are still happening! Sorry for not updating here in the PAX forums. Our next event is on August 4th. Stay tuned for an upcoming announcement about the Pre-PAX event as well!

• Options
    FYI, future notices for the monthly events are only going on the Facebook page and Boardgamegeek.

• Options
    asleepypandaasleepypanda Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Reenie wrote: »
    FYI, future notices for the monthly events are only going on the Facebook page and Boardgamegeek.

Whats the link to the facebook page?

asleepypanda on
    fss.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014