As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

George R.R. Martin sends his regards. [GoT]

• GoldenSeducerGoldenSeducer AAAAAUGH!! Registered User regular
    I was quoting that sweet children's book from earlier. 'cause it was awesome.

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Watching the latest episode reminded me of a recurring thing throughout the series that really annoys me. Double-spoiler below.
    "I'm going to gather a mighty army comprised of the most seasoned warriors, storm my enemy's castle and take revenge for the terrible deeds they have wrought upon my family and homeland! Prepare for a mighty battle that will determine the fate of all Westeros!"
    "lol nope"

you may not have noticed but kind of the point of the series is to subvert those sorts of fantasy tropes

I know that, but...
    it's the same trap used over and over and over.

It would be nice to have an actual old fashioned battle once in a while.

Stannis' raid on King's Landing was great and didn't end in a bullshit way.

How often do you feel that happens?

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    So my friend finished season 1 this past weekend. Watching it with him was great, but here are some take-aways:

* He was infuriated with Ned's confession in episode 9 right before Joffrey goes all Joffrey. I mean my friend was livid and furious.
    * He was heart broken about Khal Drogo.
    * His favorite character is Arya Stark.
    * He legitimately thinks Syrio Forel could take Jaime Lannister in a fight.

And at the end of the season he looked to me and asked who I wanted to win the war for the iron throne.

"Oh, the Lannisters."
    "How?"
    "I love them."
    "But what about the Starks?"
    "Starks are stupid. They don't know how to play the game."
    "But the Lannisters are evil and the Starks noble!"
    "YOU SAY THAT NOW!"

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    honestly it could end a lot worse than having Jaime as king.

• I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    i dunno man the starks have always struck me as pretty noble

lady catlyn was the worst thing to ever happen to them, but homegirl is a tully

lfYVHTd.png
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Bunch of oath-breakers and cry babies.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Catelyn is basically the villain of the series

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Tube wrote: »
    Catelyn is basically the villain of the series

Just because she's directly responsible for almost every terrible thing that happens doesn't mean she's the villain.

It just means she's awful.

Taramoor on
  • SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Taramoor is the villain in all of these stories.

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    no matter what you say about the Starks, you can't say that fam isn't noble as all hell

also Cat bashing makes me sad

her actions may have contributed to terrible consequences, but acting like she's the sole cause is unfair to the character and a real narrow view of the myriad interweaving shitstorms

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    i very much dislike her character

like she doesn't annoy me, but i do dislike her like i would a villain

lfYVHTd.png
    edited June 2013
    no matter what you say about the Starks, you can't say that fam isn't noble as all hell

also Cat bashing makes me sad

her actions may have contributed to terrible consequences, but acting like she's the sole cause is unfair to the character and a real narrow view of the myriad interweaving shitstorms

I actually like Cat quite a bit and think Michelle Fairley deserves all the awards ever (and Charles Dance deserves the rest).

The weird thing is, going back and watching Season 1 and 2 and even knowing what arresting Tyrion or freeing Jaime or Meeting with Littlefinger or meeting with Renly or bargaining with Walder Frey or any of the other things she does will lead to, I still root for her in those scenes because she's just so damned awesome and authoritative.

Taramoor on
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    only cat

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List

why come

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    They've certainly made her more sympathetic on the show than in the books. Her hatred for Jon Snow alone always drove me crazy.

why come

that is something i do not have an exact answer for

i wouldn't even call her unlikable or anything of the sort, nor would i call her actress weak or her performance bad

but i just didn't like her, from episode one

maybe it's her voice

i can't stand her voice

lfYVHTd.png
    though the delivery of the whole "LET IT END" segment was perfect

lfYVHTd.png
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Just gonna spoil everything in all of my posts now because /shrug.
    I actually never actively disliked Cat while I was first reading the books, but after subsequent re-reads the character just comes across as a bad combination of short-sighted and naïve. Like, Ned was a moron, but in a lot of ways he knew he was a moron - that's why he hid away in the North and stayed away from King's Landing for so long. The guy was not built for the kind of intrigue and scheming that went on there, and sure enough, once he showed up, he was completely outclassed.

Cat was just like, "Go there and you will be awesome and we can fix everything." Or, "Arrest Tyrion Lannister and not consider the consequences of starting a Westerosi civil war because I totally believe this one thing but can't prove it and I'm so scared for my family even though they are actually totally safe right now omg."

Compared to many of the other characters, it's much easier to let Cat's failings go, especially given you can't hold her proximately responsible for a lot of the longer-term consequences of her actions. Arresting Tyrion Lannister might have been a vaguely bad idea, but having it lead to an entire shitstorm where her whole family dies is kind of...out of her jurisdiction.

Inquisitor77 on
    Sassori wrote: »
    They've certainly made her more sympathetic on the show than in the books. Her hatred for Jon Snow alone always drove me crazy.

Yeah

I was glad for her monologue this last season in which she reflected on her failing her family in that specific way

because all of her other decisions with ultimately bad outcomes were drastic actions taken for the protection of her family above all else

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    edited June 2013
    might wanna spoil that last sentence or paragraph or whatever there bud

at inquisitor [my two key is broken]

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Book Cat is annoying

But even though the war is technically her fault, it's not like it wouldn't have started anyway
    Too many people wanted it
    She just played into their hands by being dumb

Show Cat is great though

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    edited June 2013

Yeah

I was glad for her monologue this last season in which she reflected on her failing her family in that specific way

because all of her other decisions with ultimately bad outcomes were drastic actions taken for the protection of her family above all else

Yeah that never happened in the books. Book Cat does not give a shit.

Sassori on
    sass i was talking about inquisitor talking about
    her whole family dying

that's a pretty significant spoiler

lfYVHTd.png
    sass i was talking about inquisitor talking about
    her whole family dying

that's a pretty significant spoiler

Listen Swordfights.

I just want you to be happy.

I just want you to love me.

Is that so wrong?!

pick you up at 8?

lfYVHTd.png

why come

i wouldn't even call her unlikable or anything of the sort, nor would i call her actress weak or her performance bad

maybe it's her voice

i can't stand her voice

Yeah, fair enough

in a similarish way, I don't really... ever particularly like Littlefinger on the show

I like Aidan Gillen, I like the character all right, I feel like he makes perfect sense and I hesitate to call his performance bad at all

but something about his line readings and accent or something? It just never works for me. It's a weird, benign sort of obnoxious

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    pick you up at 8?

Oh baby

Yeah

Yeah that never happened in the books. Book Cat does not give a shit.

yeah I know

I just remember some general uneasiness about that change around the time it aired, but really liked it

f2ojmwh3geue.png

why come

maybe it's her voice

i can't stand her voice

Yeah, fair enough

in a similarish way, I don't really... ever particularly like Littlefinger on the show

I like Aidan Gillen, I like the character all right, I feel like he makes perfect sense and I hesitate to call his performance bad at all

but something about his line readings and accent or something? It just never works for me. It's a weird, benign sort of obnoxious

Chaos is a LADDAH!

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    might wanna spoil that last sentence or paragraph or whatever there bud

at inquisitor [my two key is broken]

@inquisitor77

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
    thank you sir

lfYVHTd.png

why come

maybe it's her voice

i can't stand her voice

Yeah, fair enough

tumblr_mbbhzlcxr21rpunp6o1_500.gif

So my friend keeps urging me to go to a Renaissance fair in August with him.

I told him I would under one condition.

I would go as Littlefinger and he'd go as Varys.

He has agreed to such terms.

• SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Now you just have to bicker and snipe at each other the whole day

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Snowbear wrote: »

and then start making out

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    Snowbear wrote: »

So act normal?

• Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    In fairness to Cat, (SoS/FFC)
    everything is essentially Lysa's fault originally

House Tully were the true villains of the story all along

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Watching the latest episode reminded me of a recurring thing throughout the series that really annoys me. Double-spoiler below.
    "I'm going to gather a mighty army comprised of the most seasoned warriors, storm my enemy's castle and take revenge for the terrible deeds they have wrought upon my family and homeland! Prepare for a mighty battle that will determine the fate of all Westeros!"
    "lol nope"

you may not have noticed but kind of the point of the series is to subvert those sorts of fantasy tropes

I know that, but...
    it's the same trap used over and over and over.

It would be nice to have an actual old fashioned battle once in a while.

Stannis' raid on King's Landing was great and didn't end in a bullshit way.

How often do you feel that happens?

Well, let's see...

Obviously there's the whole "King of the North!" speech that closed the first book, but that wasn't immediately snubbed until a few books later, so it doesn't entirely count.

There's the Sand Snakes, who plan to assassinate the Lannisters, who are then stopped by Prince Doran.

We've got Asha/Yara assembling a team to rescue her brother, as seen in the last episode.

And in the last book we've got Jon planning to attack Ramsay, only to face a literal back-stabbing by his own brothers.

And of course, Dany's constant detours and distractions.

I'm probably missing a lot more, but it seems anytime someone makes a "we're going to war" speech, their plans are almost immediately halted. It feels like an in-joke at this point.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Catelyn is certainly not more at fault than Cersei.

"I don't distrust you because you're a woman. I distrust you because you're not as smart as you think you are."

This discussion has been closed.