As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How much do games actually cost where you live?

Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
A few years ago, an Australian posted in a thread here that Wii points were too expensive over there. I checked exchange rates, and at the time, the amount converted to about €10 for 1000 points, which is what I pay in Ireland. I could have moved to Australia, used the same credit card and it would have cost me the same amount. At the time, I didn't get to ask any followup questions regarding costs of living to really gauge the cost.

I get reminded every so often, so here's my details and the full premise of the thread.

In the early 90's when I was using Super Nintendo, new games were about 50 Irish Pounds. Sometime they cost 60 or 70 when there were extra chips in the cart, but on average 50 pounds. Anyone old enough to remember Streetfighter 2 turbo being imported from japan for ludicrous prices to UK and Ireland? That doesn't count, it officially released here for one of the prices I mentioned.
Upgraded to Nintendo 64, 50 bucks. 60 for Majoras Mask, 70 for Conkers bad fur day.
When we changed to the Euro, the price was converted to €63 plus change, then new releases went for €65 or €70 after that, and that covered XBOX PS2 and Gamecube.
The prices have settled back to €60, so counting for inflation, games have been steadily becoming cheaper for the last 20 years, without the actual number changing too much. As of today at exchangerate.com, €60 is 83 Australian dollars, 51 sterling and 79 US dollars.

To put it into terms of cost of living: Right now, I pay €500 a month rent to share a 3 room and 3 bedroom house with one friend. A litre of petrol costs around €1.60, a loaf of bread or a litre of milk is under €2, a pint of beer at a bar is around €5.50, and a pack of cigarettes at around €9.50 (although cig prices are very high due to our government gouging us repeatedly for revenue that they pretend is to pay for the medical cost of smokers to the state, but the money isn't actually going there). I can justify Wii Virtual console and XBLA games in terms "that SNES game costs less than a pack of cigarettes, that NES costs less than a pint". Also bear in mind, I live in the Dublin county, which includes our capital, and some of these prices are higher just for living there and I don't know if wages are higher too near the capital.

Given all that, if you go and buy a game on day one at full price, how much does it really cost you?

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.