As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The NSA and Prism] In Soviet Russia...Its is surprisingly similar.

So, today it was revealed that the NSA whistle blower was a 29 year old former CIA technician by the name of Edward Snowden.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22836378

He has revealed that the current NSA policy is to gather information on all communications, and that most information gathering was not the result of a specific target.

Further, he revealed a disturbing lack of respect for due process within the agency

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/9/4412080/edward-snowden-comes-out-as-nsa-whistleblower-i-dont-want-to-live-in

So, to me this posses the question on what is the limit on government surveillance and efforts to control the information with the the United States and other countries.

Personally, I feel this violates several amendments; Including the 1st (freedom of speech and freedom of association) 4th (unwarranted search and seizure) the perhaps the 14th (due process clause)

So, let us debate the us of such measures, and feel free to PM or post any suggestions for the Op that you find helpful to the conversation.

• Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Wow, this really didn't have a thread yet?

I don't have a lot to add, except that anybody who is surprised by this latest revelation hasn't been paying attention, and that Mr Snowden is incredibly brave for coming forward (even if he figured it was inevitable they'd find who leaked it; it is the NSA after all). I wish him more like than Bradly Manning, who spent months in solitary confinement in a tiny box before his trial even began.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Where were the snowdens of yesteryear?

These programs have been going on since the 60s, no big surprises here.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Where were the snowdens of yesteryear?

These programs have been going on since the 60s, no big surprises here.

This may not be a surprise to a lot of people, but it should also not be trivialized. This is a Big Fucking Deal [TM].

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    It would be a Big Fucking Deal.... if this was 5 years ago and we didn't just forget something we already knew.

• Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    I hope he seeks asylum in some European state. UK and France will definitely give him up if they have the chance, but switzerland or one of the nordic countries is a relatively safe bet. I think he's safe in Hong Kong for now, the Chinese probably want to see this play out and won't interfere with his activities. On the other hand, they could be sympathetic to the US as a fellow surveillance state, or the US could make a secret deal to trade something for his extradition.

Anyway, this guy is the most ideal whistleblower that has attracted the public's attention. Assange is too sketchy and Manning's actions are barely defensible. Snowden has leaked precise information that details illegal government surveillance and he isn't a rapey megalomaniac. I'm looking forward to see how this pans out and I wish him the best.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I don't know how I missed it, but we already have a thread for this topic. Redirect all discussion to:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/179579/we-became-a-surveillance-state-and-the-world-cried-out-so-what/p1

@ElJeffe @Irond Will @Jacobkash

Feel free to close this one down if necessary.

This discussion has been closed.