As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Zune or iPod

DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
Okay, first things first, this isn't the place for fanboyism or shit-talking. This isn't a traditional Zune vs. iPod debate, I'm in a unique position so I'd like you to weigh my circumstances, and hopefully provide me with good responses.

Here's the deal:
I already own a 5th gen black iPod video, 30gb. Before I got this I had a 4th gen 20gb iPod, and wanted something with more features, like pictures and video. I was weighing my options between a Zune or an iPod, but I got a stroke of good luck when a nearby Apple Store was remodeling and selling their floor models for cheap. So I got an iPod for $130, with the year warranty included. It was in decent enough condition, and I went over it with brasso to make it look even nicer.

Now, I just found out I won a contest at work and I will be getting a Zune. So my dilemma is which one should I keep, and which should I sell? I have briefly used a friend's Zune, and I like the weight and style of the player, I'm not sure which color I'm getting yet (my preferred order would be brown, then black, and least favorite being white). The interface seemed pretty slick to me. Both players have the same size and play movies, though i understand the Zune's screen is a little better. I haven't used the circular dpad scrollling much, I like the wheel on the iPod enough, but sometimes it pisses me off when I need to move up or down on a list by one one or two.

Also, some other stuff relevant to my decision. I could go into the gray area and "return" the new Zune to walmart, or be fair and sell either one on craigslist. I could probably get about the same cash for either, since my used iPod comes with a nice hard plastic case. Either way I'm in good stance considering the Zune is free, and the iPod was $130, which I know I could get more for. I imagine the iPod would be easier to sell as well, due to brand name.

Other things to consider, I have three computers, a desktop with Ubuntu, a laptop with Vista Ultimate, and an iBook, so compatibility isn't an issue. Also, all my songs have been ripped to mp3, so I shouldn't need to worry about converting or having issues in this regard. Also, I do not purchase music from the iTunes store, and I won't from the Zune Marketplace, so that doesn't matter to my decision. I have used iTunes, but not the Zune software. Does anyone have any preference or insight to this? Are there other players and programs to load music onto the Zune besides the official stuff, and are they available for Linux or MacOSX as well?

One other thing to consider, I have a Vista Ultimate machine, and an Xbox 360, so if I stick with the Zune, I'll have the trifecta of Microsoft media products, How well does everything work with one another, could this be a possible reason to choose the Zune over the iPod.

And lastly, what's the future like? I know Apple will keep pumping out better iPod, and Microsoft made mention to Zune games. Would that be something to consider, how about the wireless feature, will there actually be firmware updates to allow me to sync this wirelessly, or wirelessly play mmusic from the Zune on my 360? What about 3rd party hacks or software, anything that won't ruin the machine and make it do neat stuff?

This has been a little longer than I originally meant to type.

To summarize:
I own a 30gb iPod Video, I got it for cheap ($130). I just won a free Zune. Which should I keep, and which should I sell? I'm really in the middle of this, and unsure. For extra hardware I have that may sway the decision, I have a Linux box, and iBook, and a Vista Ultimate laptop, as well as a 360. Things to consider are the software, features, and the future for the devices.

Thanks to anyone who can help me with this.

Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
DHS Odium on

• Options
    Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I like my Zune. The software is like if they made WMP11 with actually trying. It doesn't get that great battery life, but it's still fine. I had a bunch of troubles with iPods in the past so I also don't like them.

Ramen Noodle on
  • Options
    Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I love my Ipod works great tough as nails and the UI is pretty neat. I just donloaded a small patch for the 360 and can play my Ipod in that by plugging it in. I also donwloaded Zune software for the link of Xbox and Computer and I hated it. The things just a pain in the ass in my mind I much prefer Itunes. But you may prefer it its all a matter of preference. I would probably keep the Ipod and ditch the Zune, or if you could get away with using the zune a bit try it out and decide for yourself.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    ZhouZhou Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Keep the Zune.

Everyone has a goddamn iPod. Be different.

Zhou on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Oh one other thing, the iPod has gapless playback (finally), does the Zune?

And, I'm assuming the music playback quality is the same, is the video playback on either one good enough to tip the scales?

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Zhou wrote: »
    Keep the Zune.

Everyone has a goddamn iPod. Be different.

Or you could not care what everyone else has and go for what you think is best.

After much deliberation, I've decided to go back to iPods. I'll be getting an 80gb one either tonight or tomorrow.
    I just don't see any reason not to get an ipod, to be honest.

The only problem I could see with a Zune, is I've heard the software is rubbish. But of course, this can be fixed.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I wouldn't mind getting a new iPod to replace my 2ng gen mini. But I can't help but feeling there really ought to be another update to the line sometime soon. We know they're working on widescreen + touchscreen, it'd be nice to see that out there.

Rook on
  • Options
    electronicmajielectronicmaji __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Microsoft music drm sucks...it has weird errors on every system and there always different. I have never had a problem withi pod drm and Ipods work great, look cool, and I think the zune is just a bad product.

electronicmaji on
    Top Weekly Artists
    Electronicmaji.gif
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've had both, and I like the my Zune a little more. The screen is great, and I like the Zune interface more, as I prefer the pad to the wheel.

That said, you can tell the Zune software is ver 1.0. It's not bad, but there are little annoyances that I'm sure will be addressed soon.

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Microsoft music drm sucks...it has weird errors on every system and there always different. I have never had a problem withi pod drm and Ipods work great, look cool, and I think the zune is just a bad product.

Well, I won't be using music with DRM, as I rip my own CDs and won't be buying from either store.

DHS Odium on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Rook wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind getting a new iPod to replace my 2ng gen mini. But I can't help but feeling there really ought to be another update to the line sometime soon. We know they're working on widescreen + touchscreen, it'd be nice to see that out there.

Supposedly 3rd quarter of 2007 = new iPod line up.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited March 2007
    Your getting the Zune for free.

Live a little. Open it up, use it for a few weeks and see if you like it. Then sell the one you like the least. It isn't rocket science.

Makes more sense than surveying the internet.

(Aside - I made a thinp3 player thread a while back for a small mp3 player - and settled of a refurbished 1st gen nano - thanks G&T it's pretty great)

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
    Scholar and a Gentleman? Critical of bad science and religion? Skeptobot - Is for you!!
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The Zune drms everything you throw into it it can tell the difference between whats drm and whats not...

electronicmaji on
    Top Weekly Artists
    Electronicmaji.gif
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I havn't had much experience with the Zune, though I have messed with them. I do have an iPod though (of the 80gb variety) and I love it. Though I agree, open it up and use it for a bit, decide if you like it, if not, sell it on craigslist. Though the video screen on the Zune is larger, I think for you it'd just be more of a preference of how the device functions, like menus and such, which you can only really get a taste for if you mess around with it. I mean they both do their job well: play audio/video.

Kyanilis on
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited March 2007
    The Zune drms everything you throw into it it can tell the difference between whats drm and whats not...

This sentance(s) makes no sense*. But if the Zune does drm everything you put on it. Sell it.

* which is something I do all the time.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
    Scholar and a Gentleman? Critical of bad science and religion? Skeptobot - Is for you!!
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I meant to say it can't tell the difference...

yeah thats one of the major pissoffs abot the zune it drms everything because theyres a chance youll do the music sharing thing and if it were undrmed files you could steal music or something...

bullshit.

electronicmaji on
    Top Weekly Artists
    Electronicmaji.gif
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have a Zune and I love it, but I don't like the software that much. Honestly I'd prefer a drag-and-drop interface but I know it's not going to happen. Also, even though it and WMP11 are almost exactly the same WMP11 won't connect to the Zune (though it will connect to just about any other mp3 player) which is pretty retarded. Why have the Zune software when I already have WMP11? Anyways, the entire point of my post is to ask if anyone knows of some alternative software I could use for my Zune? I don't mean to hijack this thread but I didn't feel my question warranted it's own new topic. Any help is much appreciated.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    The thing about the Zune is, the wifi is worthless as it stands. If it could synch or stream wirelessly to your PC or 360, that'd be a huge selling point. But it's not useful like that.

The iPods get better battery life, have a wider range of aftermarket products available, and come in the 80 GB flavour, which for the record has pretty much the most attractive $/MB ratio of any product on the market.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Though:
    pheezer FD wrote: »
    The thing about the Zune is, the wifi is worthless as it stands. If it could synch or stream wirelessly to your PC or 360, that'd be a huge selling point. But it's not useful like that.

And yet the iPod doesn't have the wireless feature AT ALL. No matter how gimped, having a feature is better than not having it.
    The iPods get better battery life, have a wider range of aftermarket products available, and come in the 80 GB flavour, which for the record has pretty much the most attractive $/MB ratio of any product on the market.

But who has 80gb of music (and movies that they want to carry around at all times)? You're pretty much talking about supersizing your big mac meal, or doing all of your grocery shopping at sams club here... sure, it's better value for your money, but you're not going to fucking need to eat that much.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Do you really need wireless though?

Eh. Doesn't seem important to me at all.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    And yet the iPod doesn't have the wireless feature AT ALL. No matter how gimped, having a feature is better than not having it.

not true the wirelss features on the zune are absolutely worthless. In this case there such a tease it would be better not to have them.

electronicmaji on
    Top Weekly Artists
    Electronicmaji.gif
  • Options
    mrpigglywikklymrpigglywikkly Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Neither, both ipod and zune are all flash. If you want an mp3 player (or a video player) go with anything made from creative. They usally support wider types of media types, larger hard drives for about the same price as what an ipod would go for. Sure you give up some flash but its an mp3 player, your not sapose to be looking at it

mrpigglywikkly on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    Do you really need wireless though?

Eh. Doesn't seem important to me at all.

Exactly. It's a non-issue.

Also, for being the #1 music player on the market, and seen as a high class product, it really must be said: Fuck, the iPod is a finicky little bastard that hates being shut off, and freezes way more than such a simple gadget should.

I haven't played with the Zune at all, and I own an iPod myself, and like it enough.. but still, if you're getting the Zune for free, why not give it a try?

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    Though:
    pheezer FD wrote: »

No. Because if they dropped the retarded feature they could have cut the price.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Neither, both ipod and zune are all flash.

No. Only the ipod nano is flash. The rest use hard drives.

Zing!

Also you're a bloody moron. Now while I do thing Creative has never made a single thing worth buying, dismissing out of hand the industry dominator and the Microsoft contender is what makes you a bloody moron. You backing a stupid horse is just gravy.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Wait.

That wasn't very nice of me.

I'm sorry. But, if you'd like to enter a dark horse candidate, you really should back up your opinion with a solid argument.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The iPod is the only one that is compatible with all the hardware you own.

This seems to make the decision for you.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    the only reason the ipod blew up the way it did is the same reaosn any apple product is purchased, they're marketing department. Hell i used to work at a radio shack and half the people looking for mp3 players didn't know there was an even an option.

mrpigglywikkly on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    the only reason the ipod blew up the way it did is the same reaosn any apple product is purchased, they're marketing department. Hell i used to work at a radio shack and half the people looking for mp3 players didn't know there was an even an option.

Your writing makes my eyes bleed.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Besides for a few typos i don't see what the problem is.

mrpigglywikkly on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    never have had a problem with a ipod freezing....the only probelm I had was with my nano
    i left it in my pocket and it went through the wash

thank god for warranties ^_^

electronicmaji on
    Top Weekly Artists
    Electronicmaji.gif
  • Options
    Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Mine froze once and refused to shut off once its easily solved with a quick reset so I don't see the problem.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Besides for a few typos i don't see what the problem is.
    The only reason the iPod blew up the way it did is the same reason any Apple product is purchased: their marketing department. Hell, I used to work at a Radio Shack and half the people looking for mp3 players didn't know there was an even an option.

I tried to help.

On the topic at hand, I have experience with both the iPod and the Zune, and I feel that if you are more into movies and pictures, the Zune is a better idea.

YardGnome on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Well damn, i guess that shows me.

But on topic, I don't see why you would go with the zune over lets say this http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=15752

Which has a bigger screen then the Zune, and doesn't require you to download any special type of software.

mrpigglywikkly on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Well damn, i guess that shows me.

But on topic, I don't see why you would go with the zune over lets say this http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=15752

Which has a bigger screen then the Zune, and doesn't require you to download any special type of software.
    The reason that I would go with a Zune over anything with the Creative brand name is that Creative products suck, whether they be mp3 players, web cams, speakers, or anything else they make. They just dont work well.

YardGnome on
  • Options
    The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    But who has 80gb of music

whoooooo.jpg

just saying

The Cheese on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Let's get a few things straight. I have an iPod already, and I'm getting a Zune for free. Creative Zens are not in this discussion, I won't be buying anything.

And while I probably will open the Zune and play with it, I'd like to have it sealed and brand new if I decide to part with it, because it's worth more. I will be selling one of these two mp3 players. I have a friend with a Zune, so I'm going to try fondling that for awhile.

Also, about the DRM, I'm fairly sure the Zune does NOT drm everything you put on it, only whatever you use the share feature with, like, the zune itself will drm a file when you transfer it to another Zune.

For the Zune software, I'm interested in what other alternatives there are, there has got to be some way to drag and drop through software, like I can do with the iPod, I hate the idea of an auto-sync. Or did I misunderstand how you can put music on the Zune?

I was going to download the Zune software to play around with it, but it said the site was down for maintenance.

DHS Odium on
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    DHS Odium wrote: »

Also, about the DRM, I'm fairly sure the Zune does NOT drm everything you put on it, only whatever you use the share feature with, like, the zune itself will drm a file when you transfer it to another Zune.
    Apparently that 'feature' will be going by the wayside soon. If you send a song without DRM it'll stay without DRM.

At least thats the rumor.

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The_Cheese wrote: »
    But who has 80gb of music

whoooooo.jpg

just saying

Well then. That shows me.
    Still, most people DON'T have that much music, and DON'T need an 80gb iPod. So the point remains (mostly) valid.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I've had the original Creative Zen for at least two years, and use it daily. That being said, i have never had a problem with it. Just connect it with a mini usb and windows will see it as a portable hard drive. Though if you use their software you can defiantly run into problems.

mrpigglywikkly on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    Let's get a few things straight. I have an iPod already, and I'm getting a Zune for free. Creative Zens are not in this discussion, I won't be buying anything.

And while I probably will open the Zune and play with it, I'd like to have it sealed and brand new if I decide to part with it, because it's worth more. I will be selling one of these two mp3 players. I have a friend with a Zune, so I'm going to try fondling that for awhile.

For the Zune software, I'm interested in what other alternatives there are, there has got to be some way to drag and drop through software, like I can do with the iPod, I hate the idea of an auto-sync. Or did I misunderstand how you can put music on the Zune?

I was going to download the Zune software to play around with it, but it said the site was down for maintenance.
    The Zune doesn't DRM everything, so you don't have to worry about that. Plus, the software is really easy to use (I like it more than iTunes).

I'm sure that if you opened the Zune through My Computer, you should be able to directly drag and drop your music. Couldn't tell you, though. Didn't try it.

YardGnome on