As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Finally [Final Fantasy] Thread has Something New to Talk About!

Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
edited June 2013 in Games and Technology
Find the crystals, save the princess, meet some robots or dragons or moogles or something. Or was it save the crystals, find the princess, deal with aliens who aren't actually aliens, fight a tree? Or was it gather some crystallized aliens, fight a clown who turned into a god chase after women who you want to make a princess out of.

ALL THIS AND MORE

MAIN SERIES

They've made FOURTEEN main series games and over fifty spin off titles. Here's what the fans says about them.
I hate Final Fantasy because I never knew about the Peninsula of Power.
I hate Final Fantasy II because I never took the time to think outside the box and give it a shot.
I hate Final Fantasy III because quadruplets are creepy and like half the jobs suck.
I hate Final Fantasy IV because now there is a version I can play without buttons.
I love Final Fantasy V because I can play it for the children once again in 2013.
I hate Final Fantasy VI because I'm a soulless monster without any redeeming qualities.
I hate Final Fantasy VII because it was popular in the late 90's and basically kickstarted JRPG localization.
I hate Final Fantasy VIII because it doesn't have Materia. Also Selphie is clearly manic.
I hate Final Fantasy IX because I'm still not done with the first battle I started in 2000. Also Tetra Master is legit terrible.
I hate Final Fantasy X because the HD version still isn't out.
I hate Final Fantasy XI because it is still making new expansions.
I hate falling asleep while not playing Final Fantasy XII. Also I never played the International Zodiac Job System.
I hate Final Fantasy XIII because it's the only non iOS game SE makes anymore.
I hate Final Fantasy XIV because I have good taste.
I preemptively hate Final Fantasy XV because it will take another seven years to come out.

SPIN OFFS

Every time profits are down SE makes some more FF games. There are a lot of them, too many to list them all so I'll just continue the theme with the more popular ones.
I hate Final Fantasy Tactics because the Advance series is so much better.
I hate Final Fantasy Adventure because it's actually a Mana game/really is an FF spinoff (It's called FF Gaiden in Japan!)
I hate Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles because I have no friends.
I hate Final Fantasy Mystic Quest because it's too easy and I don't like having fun.
I hate Final Fantasy X-2 because it is pretty princess dress up and female empowerment scares me. Also I'm no good at math so Sphere Break is right out.
I hate Dissidia because IT'S NOT MY DADDY'S FF. Alternatively I don't like stupid names.
I hate FF XIII-2 because of preorder DLC, stupid time plots and...(to be continued)
I hate 4 Warriors of Light because of its dumb auto-targeting and it's too old school.
I hate Chocobo Dungeon Wii because I am tone deaf and excellent music angers me.
I hate Crisis Core because I am LOVELESS.
I hate Theatrhythm because I can't spell or pronounce it.
I hate Final Fantasy Tactics Advance because Matsuno worked on this more than he did on FF 12.
I hate Dirge of Cerberus because I have good taste in action games.
I hate Dissidia Duodecim 012 Final Fantasy because of its stupid name. I never actually got around to playing it.

WHICH VERSION IS BEST?

A new segment to the FF Hate thread OP. This is the definitive version list by me, XoB.

FF1: Released on...well, just about everything. NES/Wii VC is the go to platform for the original experience. As far as the upscaled ports go you have PSX, GBA, PSP and iOS. I like them all, but while PSP and iOS have one extra dungeon and new spiffy graphics, those said graphics just seem unnatural to me. Like a newgrounds game. Still they have everything the PSX and GBA versions have, only more EXCEPT for the PSX's option for an old school difficulty level. So it's sort of a tossup here. I like the GBA version the best because of it's compromises, but what I really suggest is for people to play the original NES version.

FF2: Released on, the same platforms as FF1, usually bundled together. The lone exception being the NES, as this was one of the last games in the series to come out here. Also unlike the NES version being the best of FF1 for that old timey feel, the ports get it right with much needed balance fixes! Play one of them instead. If you like the PSP/ios Graphics, get that one, if not, GBA or PSX is fine!

FF3: Released on the Famicom, DS, iOS, and now PSP in Japan, though it has the same translation and is the same damn game as the other two English released titles. These three versions are almost exactly the same and none of them are quite as good as the original.

FF4: Released on SNES, SFC (TWICE!) PSX/PSN, GBA, DS, PSP, iOS. SNES version is easy to ignore these days as its translation is bad and its based on Easy Type. PSX version is a port of a Wonderswan Color version (so are the first two FF ports actually) and the rest of the versions are based on that one, though again with new translations. GBA version is the first one with new content but the NA version has an ATB bug which pisses some people off. PSP version is the latest one and it includes the mobile phone/Wiiware sequel The After Years which some people including me dig, but it has that crappy Newgrounds Flash game looking art. The real winner here is the total remake FF IV DS. 3D like FF III but with a new augment system, harder fights, brutal optional bosses, and a ton of fleshing out of the story. iOS is IV DS but with worse graphics and no buttons.

FF5: Released on PSX/PSN, GBA, iOS. Get the GBA version. It's the only thing the thread agrees on. iOS version is a fairly close second.

FF6: Released on SNES/Wii VC, PSX/PSN, GBA. I like both the SNES/Wii VC and the GBA release. PSX has shitty sound effects, load times, a slightly uncensored but very little other altered script, and two cinematics that you can youtube. GBA versus SNES is a fight between new and old script, acceptable sound versus orgasmic sound, bug fixes or weird ass bugs, bad font versus awesome font, new content versus original. I love them both.

FF7: Released on PSX/PSN, PC. PSX. The PC version had to be built from the ground up and has terrible sound but has some better models here and there. The minigames hate being run on modern machines. If the new version is up to spec in all ways then this might change (it really isn't.)

FF8: Released on PSX/PSN, PC. PSX is the version to get. FF8 is rare as hell on PC and while it does better than base FF7 PC it's still not perfect.

FF9: Released on PSX/PSN. Done.

FF10: Released on PS2. Done. HD version might come out eventually. If you want to be pedantic about it, get the Asian version of FF X International.

FF11: Released on PC, 360, PS2. PC version for obvious reasons.

FF12: Released on PS2.

FF13: Released on 360/PS3. PS3 is one disc, better cutscene resolution, better music. PS3 version.

FF14: Released on PC, with future PS3 release. Don't buy it.

THE FUTURE

We've got a decent slate of games on the horizon.

FF Type Zero: AKA Awesome FF game for PSP that will never be released in the west because the PSP is dead.

FF XIII Versus: Still not a fighting game. Also never coming out. This time, really not ever comeing out.

FF XV: The real deal. This is what the Kingdom Hearts team and Nomura have been working on (or not working on) all this time. First announced as a PS3 exclusive action RPG story told in the fabula nova crystallis theme back in 2006 (someone could really run with a Duke Nukem Forever type of post here, this is getting ridiculous) it is now a PS4/Xbox One game with a nebulous release date. Does look good though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Rbwm-mzm5QA

FF X|V 2.0: A Realm Reborn: They said they fixed it. Don't believe Ondore's Wada's lies. Well, its now just about finished and heading to PS3 and PS4 shortly.

FF X/X-2 HD: Also qHD on Vita, though you have to buy them separately. Good games, international versions no less, no solid release date.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptg2bhLcoRY

Bravely Default: Flying Fairy: THE LORD AND SAVIOR OF THE SERIES...if it was still a part of it, shame really.

KINGDOM HEARTS

Is light. Talk about it elsewhere. namely here

In fact I want to try and keep this thread on topic as much as possible. No random DQ or Neir rants, or other SE RPGs that they are never going to make again unless it is relevant to the discussion at hand.

FF5 FOUR JOB FIESTA 2013

Do you have what it takes to play what is quite simply the most fun and addicting alternate game mode of any RPG ever? Do you want to help out sick children by raising money for the greatest charity in the world? Do you want to watch RK sleepily make his way through Neo-Exdeath with quite a sub standard party? If this sounds even remotely interesting well then, do I have a website for you.

The deal is you get four jobs from the normal set of 20+ and you can only use skills from those four. As you gain new job sets one job is randomly assigned to you and each assigned job must be equipped at all times on at least one party member. You get the wind job, you get four of those, you get the water job, your party must be made up at least one from your water job and one from your wind job and so on. There are variations

http://fourjobfiesta.com/

What do you need to start playing?

1. A copy of FF5. PSN version is cheapest and worst. SFC version is pretty cheap but in Japanese, GBA version is best but expensive, iOS version is a lot cheaper than that but has the issues standard with playing a game on iOS (easy screencaps though!)

2. A twitter account. Yeah I hate twitter too but I made some dummy accounts just for this.

3.Then all you do is sign up at the website (with any of the optional run ideas) and you can play from whenever RK beats the game until the end of August!

Where does the charity come in you say? Well, you can either pledge money to change whatever jobs RK is assigned for his inaugural run (1 dollar=1 extra vote for a job!) or you can pledge money for doing various deeds. If you can't donate money you'll notice that you can still earn money from other people's pledges by completing their goals (usually beating the game with a certain class, beating the two optional bosses,etc.) It's just like getting sponsors for a 10k back in school! You play, everyone wins.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
Xenogears of Bore on

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    The first trailer for Versus XIII was in 2006

Right?

It has been SEVEN YEARS and I'm not just insane?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Reposting the gameplay trailer for XV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBilT83Uq4A

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Hey! Final Fantasy! I know those games!

Just want to say, grabbing one of those Iron Giant's own swords and stabbing them so hard that they explode has long been a revenge dream of mine.

Who's immune to physical damage NOW huh? NOT YOU THAT'S WHO.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    The first trailer for Versus XIII was in 2006

Right?

It has been SEVEN YEARS and I'm not just insane?
    You are not (just) insane. People that were not even alive when this game was announced will be able to walk themselves into a store and buy it with their own money by the time it is out.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm honestly guessing 2015 for a domestic release.

• Options
    That is crazyhouse

I'm not one to get mad about delayed development cycles and I'm sure, you know, stuff, but I can't help feel like pouring money into this game for seven years hasn't helped S-E's financials in the interim

I don't want to accuse anyone of sticking their thumb up their asses and running around but it feels like that's what happened

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Oh God editing is so slow right now

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Eeeeuuuugh

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Sorry guys I didn't mean for that to happen

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    God dammit, forum

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    That part where Noctis blocks the Iron Giant's sword? And then his buddies come in with a team attack? Shit is hot

sig.gif
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    FFXV is the light

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    Penta Post!

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • Options
    FF V POST FIESTA.

Wind Job:RK
    Water Job: Wyborn

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Final post? :p

Seriously though, FFXV looks great.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    For some reason I'm really liking Prompto in those videos (the blond guy with the gun). It probably helps that he's voiced by Simon the Digger.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I was already intrigued by Versus so turning into the next mainline FF works for me.

Being a huge fan of Kingdom Hearts, the change to what seems to be an action RPG has got me pretty excited.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Let's kick this thread off right:

FF remains one of my favourite game franchises, and I am very pleased that they seem to be getting back on track. Gameplay for FFXV (née XIII Versus) looks promising, and I like the emphasis on personal relationships in the marketing material so far. I hope it comes out within the next two years.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    FFXV gameplay trailer looks niiiiiiiiice

I dont know how that teleport skill will work though. Seems a bit disorienting

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGbCMD3WYm8

WARNING: I didn't put this in the OP for a reason; this is literally the most spoiler filled promo video I've ever seen. Only the half hour one for Twin Snakes back in the day comes close. This literally spoils all of the best moments of FF X, do not watch it if you have never played the game and want to jump in with the new version. Hell don't watch it if you haven't played the game in ten years and want to be surprised by how good the plot of this game actually is!

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    My guess is Q4 2014. Q3 if we're lucky. Also, I love the modern(ish) setting to pieces. Another reason I'm hyped for SMT IV.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Still wondering who the hell Roberto Ferrari is supposed to be.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Still wondering who the hell Roberto Ferrari is supposed to be.

Someone so fast even Google can't pin him down?

I'm fairly happy with the Versus/XV thing (Mostly because it looks baller as shit), but Squeenix still has plenty of other things to announce before I get really excited.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Isn't that the TLR character designer?

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    That's correct.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I've tried to get into FF games before but oh my god they are so dull to actually play. XV looks like they're finally going to make combat fun.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Double post, so more relevant edit: I enjoyed XIII's combat a lot.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I'm actually considering X|V. The ability to MMO from my bed is compelling.

• Options
    Isn't that the TLR character designer?

Huh. Interesting. I always thought TLR's characters had a Nomura look to them, so I guess it's a good fit.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Hey Roberto Ferrari is why they're wearing high fashion clothes that could feasibly come from Italy. :P

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Sweet Jesus...

That... that wasn't actual gameplay in the FFXV trailer, right? That was some bullshot? That looked amazing!

Also, is it FFXIII-3 or is it just FF: Lightning Returns? Either way, that's gonna be great too, cause Lightning is just the best.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Sweet Jesus...

That... that wasn't actual gameplay in the FFXV trailer, right? That was some bullshot? That looked amazing!

Also, is it FFXIII-3 or is it just FF: Lightning Returns? Either way, that's gonna be great too, cause Lightning is just the best.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus...

Next-gen console game. And mathematically, the numbers all add up with the HUD so it sure appears to be real time in-engine footage.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Well, that's goddamn incredible then!

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Vows that the franchise will get back to strength

Addressing the crowd at Square Enix's E3 event, Square CEO Yosuke Matsuda has apologised for causing 'many worries' for fans, referencing executive changes and poor earnings calls.

He has vowed that the franchise will get back on track, starting now.

Final Fantasy 15 was announced for PS4 and Xbox one.

Well, that's nice and all, but it isn't like he's to blame, right? He's the guy who has to go and fix this mess.

You want to really make it up to me? Shorten your fucking dev times, get FFXV out in a year, and don't ever let unqualified people touch the franchise ever again.

Still...somebody from Square actually apologized.

I...I think they've learned.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Square-Enix hasn't learned a damn thing about Final Fantasy until they give me one that I enjoy as much as I did XII, or IX, or [insert preferred older FF here]

And when they drop Fabula Nova Crystalis

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Vows that the franchise will get back to strength

Addressing the crowd at Square Enix's E3 event, Square CEO Yosuke Matsuda has apologised for causing 'many worries' for fans, referencing executive changes and poor earnings calls.

He has vowed that the franchise will get back on track, starting now.

Final Fantasy 15 was announced for PS4 and Xbox one.

Well, that's nice and all, but it isn't like he's to blame, right? He's the guy who has to go and fix this mess.

You want to really make it up to me? Shorten your fucking dev times, get FFXV out in a year, and don't ever let unqualified people touch the franchise ever again.

Still...somebody from Square actually apologized.

I...I think they've learned.

Isn't Yoshi P the master at apologizing? I think they've gotten a lot of practice ;)

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    FFXV is cross-platform.

Heh, wasn't expecting that one.

• Options
    I was.

• Options
    PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    it's probably going to be better on the ps4 anyway

just like ff13