As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dr. Squatlove, or How I Learned to Stop Wasting Away and Love [Strength Training]

• Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    Yeah, plus, are those assholes actually going to cancel their memberships because you drop a barbell a couple dozen times in a 1 hour period a few times a week?

That would be insane.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    rockrnger wrote: »
    You're kidding? Fuck them and their stupid wirring, thumping cardio bullshitmachines. If there are proper platforms and bumper plates, and no rules about dropping weights then I'd slam those bars as hard as I could.

I'm sure that it would be a rule as soon as they realize that all their money comes from people who come once a week to run and that I'm the only one who uses the platform.

Anyway, I can do most of what I want to do with my stuff at home it's just a matter of getting it in my head to do it.

But I really don't understand if you have a platform why they would bitch.

And you know what makes loud annoying noises? Treadmills and TVs

You have to remember that most of these people have no idea how Olympic lifts work. They just see some big ugly guy making noise when he could (in their mind)just be setting his bar down easy.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    If the gym frowns upon Olympic lifting, they probably don't have bumper plates or platforms because the only reason they would get those is to encourage Olympic lifting.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    But they do have a platform? So I'm assuming they got bumpers.

@rockrnger if you're concerned about form, I recommend the Coach's Eye app. From there you can record your lifts, slow it down and record the voice analysis over it if you were to send it to someone who knew how to coach it. Someone like myself perhaps!

It's not ideal but if you don't have somebody right there then it's better than nothing.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    What IS Olympic lifting? Context makes me think it's quick/hard lifts that you just drop afterwards.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    The clean and jerk and the snatch

• Options
    Olympic lifts : Clean & Jerk and the Snatch.

They are meant to be done as fast as possible with good technique.

They are the lifts done in the Olympics. To move heavy weight with good technique requires an athlete.

• Options
    Those look.. complex. Definitely not something I'd want to work with anytime soon. Now that I've picked a gym I'm looking into what classes they have, if any, so I can see some basic weight lifting in person.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    It's nice that at my gym the barbells are downstairs and the treadmills and a bunch of machines are upstairs

Good ideas

Now that I got a raise I might try and hire that trainer... Or at least inquire as to his rates

poo
  • Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    This is what I ate for dinner:
    EjaFFCz.jpg

Ham, mushroom and mascarpone pizza + spinach and 350g steak.

Fookin' delicious.

Jimmy Marku on
  • Options
    Looks tasty

• Options
    Steak pizza..... nice

poo
  • Options
    But they do have a platform? So I'm assuming they got bumpers.

@rockrnger if you're concerned about form, I recommend the Coach's Eye app. From there you can record your lifts, slow it down and record the voice analysis over it if you were to send it to someone who knew how to coach it. Someone like myself perhaps!

It's not ideal but if you don't have somebody right there then it's better than nothing.

That would be awesome.

Just let me warn you that they are going to be ugly

• Options
    They all start out ugly.

It's just a matter of getting a good starting position down and being strong from the get go and then getting fully extended and a good heave with the shoulders and then dropping under the bar as quickly as possible and being strong at the bottom again.

Easy!

• Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    DL will you be angry with me if I tell you I haven't lifted a weight in about 3 months?

• Options
    Also I don't know everything about the lifts myself but I figure I've got almost a year coaching them under my belt and I'm competent at them myself but certainly not breaking any records.

If you do end up sending any video, rock, try to get a good profile shot of it. I'd like to get my own up on YouTube and break down what I do wrong.

• Options
    Jyardana wrote: »
    DL will you be angry with me if I tell you I haven't lifted a weight in about 3 months?

Would you be angry with me if I told you I haven't lifted in a month?

It's embarrassing but I'm gonna quit being a baby on Monday and hit some 5x10 squats and presses then get some mirror muscle work to ease back into it.

Why no lift, J??

• Options

Would you be angry with me if I told you I haven't lifted in a month?

It's embarrassing but I'm gonna quit being a baby on Monday and hit some 5x10 squats and presses then get some mirror muscle work to ease back into it.

Why no lift, J??

I switched to all bodyweight work after switching track events and ended up...bigger and stronger. Gymnastics approach. My muscle ups are all sorts of awesome now.

But I miss the iron. Goddamn do I miss the iron.

• Options
    Well that's alright, I guess you're still getting work in.

• Options
    Yes but when asked crucial questions like "how much you bench?" i just shake my head and back away, defeated.

Because I don't know anymore.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Yes but when asked crucial questions like "how much you bench?" i just shake my head and back away, defeated.

Because I don't know anymore.

The answer to this question is always

"I dunno, how much does your Mum weigh?"

• Options
    Cause its at least that much and the sandwich she was bringing me.

• Options
    "How fast can you sprint?"

• Options
    My muscle ups had been stagnating so I found this tennis court which definitely forces me to pull a lot harder than a normal muscle up. Doing a couple sets of these during the week has definitely made my wings grow a bit.

vertical video syndrome incoming

• Options
    jklongjklong Registered User regular
    Well I just learnt being sick/no sleep and PRs don't mix. Failed a 165kg squat onto the safeties. Largely due to a lack of energy I think. it was after a double at 160 that felt particularly gruelling.

Even though it's completely logical I'm still very annoyed at that bar for being so damn heavy and my body for not getting its priorities straight.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I was poking around and I noticed that the Inzer Groove Briefs and Power Pants are both pretty cheap. I am enjoying being a mild cheater and am thinking about getting one or the other. Does anybody have experience with them, or basic single ply briefs in general, that could comment? Would I be better off getting some knee wraps and playing with those?

Briefs are an "interesting" experience. They work but they always feel like they're slowly crushing your balls. Heavy duty briefs sound very painful but I've never worn them. You may need to try a couple on to get the right size. They should be unpleasant but not "oh shit" painful when you're standing.

I just use a pair of the Rehband knee sleeves. Wraps are about the same maybe a little tighter if you get the long wraps and do them tight.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Coaches eye test.

Bench at 385. Almost got 425 on two attempts then went with something I know I could get up to get something on tape.

Spoiler for big ugly guy:

rockrnger on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    @rockrngr

That's a good lift. You should put up a video of failed lift if you have one. That'll help see your sticking point.

Are you stalling in the mid-point of the lift? Or do you feel the bar slowing down?

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I'd be curious to see a few more too; it looks like you set up pretty flat and then when you start to press you drive down with your heels and your belly comes up into more of an arch. Is that your normal starting position? Are you starting as tight as you can? Because if you start sorta loose when you unrack and descend and then drive everything into tension as you press you're probably making it harder for yourself.

I'm in no position to say anything to a guy benching 400 so feel free to completely ignore me.

• Options
    A damn fine lift!

• Options
    I need to figure out now when is the best time to work out. It's easy on my days off, but the days I work I'm not sure. I work midnight to 8 AM so I was thinking get home, get some sleep, then go work out around 5pm or so. That sound like a solid time?

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I was poking around and I noticed that the Inzer Groove Briefs and Power Pants are both pretty cheap. I am enjoying being a mild cheater and am thinking about getting one or the other. Does anybody have experience with them, or basic single ply briefs in general, that could comment? Would I be better off getting some knee wraps and playing with those?

Briefs are an "interesting" experience. They work but they always feel like they're slowly crushing your balls. Heavy duty briefs sound very painful but I've never worn them. You may need to try a couple on to get the right size. They should be unpleasant but not "oh shit" painful when you're standing.

I just use a pair of the Rehband knee sleeves. Wraps are about the same maybe a little tighter if you get the long wraps and do them tight.

Thanks Kak. I'm thinking now I'll probably get some knee wraps and play with those, other folks have said that briefs work better if you've got a wider stance and I squat more narrow. Plus wraps are still "raw" so if I do end up going to a comp I'll already know what I'm doing there.

• Options
    Magus` wrote: »
    I need to figure out now when is the best time to work out. It's easy on my days off, but the days I work I'm not sure. I work midnight to 8 AM so I was thinking get home, get some sleep, then go work out around 5pm or so. That sound like a solid time?

Everyones body reacts different to a 3rd shift stress, but i would definitely attempt to workout before your shift rather than after. I used to try to lift at 1am after my shifts as a janitor during college and yeah, that shit isn't easy to turn into a routine.

• Options
    Yeah the 3rd shift doesn't affect me too much, just trying to think when is a good time so I can get some good workout going but not be all super-achey when I work. I'll experiment and see what seems to give the most pay-off with the least amount of interference in my work.

Also as someone mentioned, I should get a thing for grip strength to use at work? Are those that useful?

• Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    Yeah the 3rd shift doesn't affect me too much, just trying to think when is a good time so I can get some good workout going but not be all super-achey when I work. I'll experiment and see what seems to give the most pay-off with the least amount of interference in my work.

Also as someone mentioned, I should get a thing for grip strength to use at work? Are those that useful?

Just deadlift once a week, work up to weighted chin ups, and perform weighted carries (farmer's walks, trap bar carries, etc) and your grip will get all the training it needs. Don't want to overdo it.

Big men: I haven't worn my belt in two months for any lifts, and I feel damn strong for it. It is dawning on me how much a belt helps mentally, and getting under heavy (pft) weights without it is rewarding.

• Options
    Oh man, chin ups, the one thing I've never been able to do no matter how hard I tried. That would be a huge accomplishment for me, no joke.

• Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    With smart programming, you can get there. And once you can do one, it only gets simpler. There are many ways people like you can get to a BW chin - negatives, band assistance, machine assistance, lat pull down machine.

If my girlfriend can do it, so can you.

• Options
    negatives really help

or also having a pull up bar at home and doing just one every now and then

i'm slowly getting my chin ups back up after losing all of it... gonna need to bring the dip belt back to the gym soon hopefully

poo
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    doin' front squats today, haven't squatted in over a month.

hell yes. gonna work into this crazy slow and warm up reeeaaaal good first.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    Best thing for pull ups, if you cannot do them, is an assisted pull up machine. It will have a step or a knee pad connected to a counter balance weight. So if you set it to 50 lbs, it means your pull up is body weight minus 50 lbs. It took me months before I was able to do my 5x5 pull up sets unassisted.

iTNdmYl.png
This discussion has been closed.