As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dr. Squatlove, or How I Learned to Stop Wasting Away and Love [Strength Training]

• Options
    MogsMogs Registered User regular
    3+ for bench: 130x7. I'm declaring 2014 the year of the bench.

• Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    Mogs wrote: »

Based on your other posts shouldn't that be the year of the bench, squat and DL?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I just realised that calculator was almost certainly written for pounds.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    My bench seems to be getting worse.

My press keeps improving.

I think my press might be higher than my bench soon.

:/

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Only one thing to do: go into strongman.

• Options
    Mogs wrote: »

Based on your other posts shouldn't that be the year of the bench, squat and DL?

In a way, I suppose that's true. My bench has just really taken off compared to the others. I've never had much upper body strength, and bench was always the biggest struggle for me, so it's extra awesome to have it feel so great.

• Options
    Yeah and bench is usually harder to progress on for most, particularly women, so mucho props.

Finally back to CJ'ing somewhat well today - 10x2x90kg, pretty easy. I've been getting better at moving my feet more consistently - that's been a progress roadblock for a while. Being injured has done good things for me.

• Options
    CandlemassCandlemass Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Tube wrote: »
    Have you ever done Ed Coan's bench program?

Starts you at a 2x10 on flat bench, incline bench and close grip and then starts walking the reps down and weight up.

http://www.joeskopec.com/edcoanbench.html

That's really interesting. I'm guessing that you'd have to be trying a weight that could pretty much give you a nosebleed after each set in order to stimulate growth from just 6 sets.

My main goal at the moment, having gotten my bench somewhere vaguely respectable, is to actually look like I can bench that much. The novelty of looking like I'm performing some kind of magic trick whenever I bench is starting to wear off.

http://ironbible.dragondoor.com/failure-minus-one/ might be somewhere in the range of the way you'd have to approach that kind of training.

'Having trained under and alongside some of the greatest lifters in the world, it’s often difficult to describe how hard they train. How do you communicate a degree of effort? You could say an 855lb squat was so heavy that on the 3rd rep of 5, Karwoski’s right nostril shot a spray of blood all down his white t-shirt. The nasal explosion occurred as he was maximally exerting himself, pushing his guts—and apparently his nasal membranes—out. He went on to make all five reps, turning a realistic triple into a five rep set through the strength of his iron will. He did this week in, week out'

edit: though, if you look around, you can see that there is more to the ed coan getting his bench up than just the few worksets of bench. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=114829171

Candlemass on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Have you ever done Ed Coan's bench program?

Starts you at a 2x10 on flat bench, incline bench and close grip and then starts walking the reps down and weight up.

http://www.joeskopec.com/edcoanbench.html

That's really interesting. I'm guessing that you'd have to be trying a weight that could pretty much give you a nosebleed after each set in order to stimulate growth from just 6 sets.

My main goal at the moment, having gotten my bench somewhere vaguely respectable, is to actually look like I can bench that much. The novelty of looking like I'm performing some kind of magic trick whenever I bench is starting to wear off.

Twitter at this guy:

big_e_langston_bio.png

and ask him about his bench routine?

• Options
    This might be of interest to you Oly lifting folks, and anybody else really. In a startling turn for Mr. Lewis that's completely SFW and is really pretty decently researched.

• Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    So I found this interesting: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24567860/?

Comparison between static stretching and use of a massage stick with regards to range of motion and force production in the ankle.

I found it interesting that both methods had a similar effect in increasing ROM. Increasing ankle ROM prior to a squat session is pretty critical for me as otherwise my knees go all fucko. I've had a massage stick for a few years now and I love the thing but it's not been a key part of the warmup. I will try and get it stuck in a bit more and see how things improve.

• Options
    Yeah, I saw that the other day. People have shown the same thing for foam rolling prior to training before and I've been doing my calves with the barbell for a while to good effect.

I was going to ask you about those sticks actually, because I might get the sprinter stick, are they worth it? I never seem to get around to foam rolling. They are fucking expensive but it'd be worth it if I use it.

• Options
    They are stupid expensive, yeah. I've got the sprinter stick and I use it almost every day in some form. Alongside spikey ball and heeled shoes it would be one of the best lifting purchases I've ever made.

There's no adequate substitute either. I used a rolling pin for a while but it just doesn't work the same.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Hey I know in one of the threads someone posted a good article about cutting weight before a fight. Anybody have a link? Or links in general? Coming into the last 10 days of my weight loss challenge and I want to optimize my chances, without going too crazy.

I remember the article said to drink 2 gallons of water a day, and I don't know if I can do that, but I can probably do 1 gallon, would that help or be a hindrance?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    My method (from memory) was pretty simple, and was based on time out from the weigh in:

8 days out - start drinking lots of water regularly. I was hitting about 2 gallons a day, often more. It sucks. Just keep sipping all the time. Eat normally but a calorie deficit would probably be advisable

4 days out - increase salt intake. Just put salt on everything. You're still drinking water.

The day before - no salt from now on. At all, not on or in anything. I was just eating plain baked chicken breast and plain rice

12-18 hours before - Eat a whole lemon. Or two.

12 hours before - Stop drinking water, stop taking in carbohydrates. Watch how much food is in your system total because you want it to be low.

You will keep passing water. By the time of the weigh in, you will be very dehydrated.

Depending on your particular makeup, you will likely drop a few kilos in water. I was down about 4-5. There's plenty of articles on this if you do a little googling. With a few tweaks you can lose more but it can be dangerous. Stay safe.

I'm happy to be corrected on any of this by anyone who knows more. As I said, it's been a while.

• Options
    Also, I believe in you.

• Options
    jklongjklong Registered User regular
    Yeah, there are a number if methods out there, some more extreme than others. Since you don't have to lift after you could dehydrate And fast longer than TRBs method which (I assume) was built for a 2 hr weigh in. Can't say I'd recommend that though, that when stiff starts to get dangerous.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    I think it's this article.

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/programs/cutting-weight-for-a-24-hour-powerlifiting-competition/

Here's a couple more:

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/powerlifting-articles/4-day-guide-how-to-cut-for-a-short-weigh-in/

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/powerlifting-articles/cutting-weight/

It's going to suck.  If you have any sort of health issues do not do a cut.  If you are doing any sweat out work like saunas, steam rooms or exercise cycle, you need to have a partner or friend keeping an eye on you.  If you pass out in a sauna or steam room doing a sweat out you can die.

Oh and did we mention it's going to suck?

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    prize is a few hundred dollars. I can take a few days of suck.

Since I don't have a partner I'm going to completely avoid doing any sweat work. This ain't worth dying over.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Huh, interesting, I could still be a 105 if I did that.

Stick bought. Gonna get so supple. Thanks TRB.

• Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    Re: Jamie Lewis's blog post. The blogspot or blogger page is still super NSFW, but he has a blog on the chaosandpain site that is SFW. To be honest his "stop being a bitch and lift some weights" attitude is what got me back into the gym and hitting it so consistently.

Since I've dropped the LP and started just lifting my ass off 5-6 days a week, and doing cardio, I've seen great results. Ive lost 2 pounds and .5% bodyfat in less than a week. Im seriously hoping to be down to under 15% bodyfat by the end of summer, if not closer to 10.

• Options
    Huh, interesting, I could still be a 105 if I did that.

Stick bought. Gonna get so supple. Thanks TRB.

My ability to lift weights was completely shot to shit that day though. So there's that.

• Options
    InvincibleInvincible Registered User regular
    Oh man. Cramming two lifting days in one is not ideal. Three hours later and I have such an extreme case of the hungry-grumpies. Squats were such a huge grind. Ugh.

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9194-1579

Let's make record. It will look like:
    Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    And you all said I would die.

This was my week off, I had the night to myself. Why not. Loaded up the bar with 315, set the timer for 30 minutes and decided to see how many squats I could do.

They were ugly as shit and I'm sure half of them would get red lit. And I just wished I was dead at the end.

Got 80 raggedy ass squats in. Maybe 85, it got hard to keep track at the end.

• Options
    So I felt exhausted tonight, energy was low, my hips were feeling really tight and angry (which is very rare for me). I still did my squats, and managed a new 3 rep PR at 220, so I suppose I can't complain too much.

• Options

This was my week off, I had the night to myself. Why not. Loaded up the bar with 315, set the timer for 30 minutes and decided to see how many squats I could do.

They were ugly as shit and I'm sure half of them would get red lit. And I just wished I was dead at the end.

You still might! See us in the morning and we'll talk.

• Options
    Ahhhhhhh, I snatched 80kg today and my wrist feels fiiinnnnnnneeeeee! Back to it!

Also, holy shit Kak.

• Options
    Peen wrote: »

You still might! See us in the morning and we'll talk.

"Do you not see how necessary a world of pains and troubles is to school an intelligence and make it a soul?"

Today is going to be fine. Tomorrow will bring the DOMS. And my upper and mid back was what got the most tired.

• Options
    You're a bad bad man, kak.

• Options
    I didn't say this yesterday but here I was, thinking I'm doing more volume, and then you have to go and do that. Jerk.

• Options
    Also, I dropped in to Jimmy's gym last night for a session after work. What a wonderful place that is. Actual lifters doing actual training rather than dick swinging fuckwits trying to stare everyone down.

I don't know if it's the training before work or the shitty equipment or the people but it's been a long time since I felt this relaxed and comfortable training. It's exactly what I used to like the most about training back home and I did not realise until then just how much I'd missed it.

I will get myself out of this commercial gym.

• Options
    Glad you liked it mate, let me know next time you go. I'll be there tomorrow from 10.

Thurs is a PL session right? Did you speak to Martin about going more regularly?

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Well I deadlifts for the first time in god knows how long and did 3x3 for 190kg. Belted up and chalked up and it was alright. I reckon I got about 210-220 in me still. Gonna start doing them more.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Nice work guv.

I'm thinking I might substitute low rack pulls for full deadlifts for this next little while. My gym has those awful octagonal plates and I want to do a full reset after each rep but I completely hate having to readjust every time I come down on an edge and the whole thing rolls.

• Options
    Glad you liked it mate, let me know next time you go. I'll be there tomorrow from 10.

Thurs is a PL session right? Did you speak to Martin about going more regularly?

Yeah mon/tue/thu/sat. Don't think I can make it in tomorrow but I'm keen to start trying to make 1-2 sessions a week there.

Package arrived today. 6kg of whey in various flavours, caffeine and BCAAs. Ready to kick things off again.

• Options
    jklongjklong Registered User regular
    Sounds like you all are killing it. I'm still in maintenance mode for a bit until I am sure that I'm not going to wreck myself by lifting heavy again.

• Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular

Yeah mon/tue/thu/sat. Don't think I can make it in tomorrow but I'm keen to start trying to make 1-2 sessions a week there.

Package arrived today. 6kg of whey in various flavours, caffeine and BCAAs. Ready to kick things off again.

How do you take your BCAAs, out of curiosity?

• Options
    I just get the flavoured powder. Mix it up and sip it throughout a session. Or if I end up fasting at all, I'll mix some up.

Also also also, I just got a £150 refund from my mobile phone company for a deposit I guess I paid a long time ago. It might be romaleos time.

• Options
    Oh sweet zombie Jesus. I am stiff this morning.

@Peen. If you do rack pulls, you can also set up 45s under your feet so you still get the full range on the deadlift.

• Options
    That's a really good idea, thanks!

I might ignore it to overload my back and because speed off of the floor has never been my problem, but maybe not!

This discussion has been closed.