As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade's On The Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 4

WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
edited June 2013 in Games and Technology
2013-06-06_00002.jpg
"Four Gods wait on the windowsill
Where once eight Gods did war and will
And if the Gods themselves may die
What does that say for you and I?

Now, three Gods wait on the windowsill
Where one God's blood was lately spilled
While black tongues lap at the spreading pool
And build the strength they need to rule

When two Gods wait on the windowsill
The wick of the world is burning, still
But when one God in triumph shouts
The candle of the world goes out

And when that candle, bare and white
Sheds at last its dancing light
Then we will rouse, with raiséd rod
To pierce the very house of God"

Many of you may not be aware that the PA forum's own Zeboyd games has already released the final installment of the Rainslick series, available now on Steam, and it is awesome.

What is Rainslick 4?

rain-slick-4-screen3.jpg?w=800

Rainslick 4 is the last game in the Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness series, a noir cosmic horror-comedy set in 1922 featuring alternate universe versions of the Penny Arcade characters we know and love. The first two games were 3d RPGs made by Hothead Games. The gameplay was nothing to write home about, but they did feature some fantastic writing by Tycho along with artwork and animations heavily directed by Gabe. They didn't, however, make a lot of money and so PA and Hothead went their separate ways. That's when Zeboyd games, an indie team known for their JRPGs Cthulhu Saves the World and Breath of Death VII stepped up to take the reigns. They made Rainslick 3, an incredibly different game from the first two: It much more closely followed the pedigree of 16-bit era JRPGs, complete with 16-bit graphics, while including a lot of fantastic twists on genre staples that eliminated many of the most frustrating aspects of JRPGs while still retaining a complex and challenging battle system. The highlight of the game was a quirky Final Fantasy V-esque job system that included such classes as Cardboard Tube Samurai, Crabomancer, Hobo, and Dinosaurceror. Rainslick 3 was well-beloved by a fair subset of fans around here, of which I am one.

What's new in Rainslick 4?

RainslickReview4.jpg

It picks up right at the end of Rainslick 3, but features an all-new class and leveling system and a big open world with towns, many optional dungeons, and even vehicles. The job system from 3 has been completely turned on its head. While the mechanics of the battle system are much the same as they were in Rainslick 3, including a four-character party, MP that grows each turn, interrupts, and reusable consumables, instead of fighting enemies directly your characters now use monsters found in the Underhell to battle for them Pokemon-style. You obtain new monsters each with their own unique set of abilities to fill out your party roster over the course of the game, which you can switch in and out of your party at will at the start of a battle.

The monsters are rad: I'm not very far into the game but already my collection includes, among others, a deep-crow chick, Dr. Blood's Leviathan, Twisp, Catsby, and a living vending machine.

You can "equip" your party members as trainers for your monsters. Doing so grants the monsters an additional set of abilities based on who their trainer is, as well as determines how the monster's stats grow when it levels up. For instance, setting Gabe as a trainer for a monster gives it his "Brute" abilities, and makes it so that the monster gains strength and defense when it levels up.

In addition to this, you can customize your monsters further by equipping different weapon types that your monster will have available to them based on whether they are a "Strength", "Magic", "Speed", or "Defense" type monster. Each of the different weapon types has passive abilities associated with it.

How is it?

It's a shame that more people aren't talking about this game. I'm about 3 hours into it right now and it's already high up the list of my favorite JRPGs of all time. It's a definite improvement over Rainslick 3 in every way, and I happened to love Rainslick 3 (there's a special spot in my heart for games with job systems). The combat system is consistently extremely engaging and with the constant influx of new monsters and abilities it remains varied and requires significant decision making every fight (my biggest problem with Rainslick 3, and most JRPGs, is that once you got a good strategy going there is little incentive to switch things up and not just repeat the same set of actions every fight). Despite retaining the same 16-bit style the art has improved dramatically, though much of that may be due to the change of setting that allowed the game to really stretch its wings. After three games of fighting in Hobo Alley the change of scenery is extremely appreciated.

Tycho's writing is just spectacular in this game and I think it's some of the best he's ever done. "Bizarre and humorous depictions of hell" is basically the ideal application of Jerry's talents; above all I think he excels as a cosmic horror-comedy writer. The more occult and fantastic you allow him to get, the better the product will be, as his imagination seems to work best at a grandiose scale. The biggest improvement by far, though, is the music. It sets some great emotional tones and gives the whole endeavor the epic feel that the entire rest of the series has been missing.

Winky on

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I still need to beat the 3rd one. I don't know if I'm rusty or what, but I just started having a hell of a time beating enemies, even on medium difficulty. Perhaps I was doing something wrong?

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I'm on about chapter 7 or 8 and I'm loving it less than 3. It's still a very enjoyable game for a great price, but something about the heroes not participating in the fights is a lot less interesting. Also, the class abilities were a lot funnier/more interesting than "ice cream cone monster uses ice magic" type stuff. It's also kind of annoying that you're told whether a monster has elemental weaknesses but not what they are, and if you discover the weakness, it's not catalogued anywhere (a monsterdex would have been appropriate considering the Pokemon feel of the game). Speaking of information, this game is a lot worse at being clear than 3. When you weaken a monster's defense, it says your hits are "super effective" which confuses the whole elemental weakness bit. Certain items or abilities ONLY have the joke, they forget to actually say what it is/what it does. The ability to look at all the equippable gear WITHOUT trying to put it on a character would be helpful to see what it does. Finally, either I'm a lot better, or normal was tuned down in difficulty, only one fight out of every 10 or so is tough. Yes, I could go harder, but honestly normal was hard enough in 3. Without the flights of fancy from 3 (space, 8 bit RPG), the environments come off as super dull with some notable exceptions (the er... train and the well drawn outside tree climbing bits).

Do people playing on Xbox get framerate drops? Like, when the battle meter moves without anybody's turn going, the frames get janky. When battle ends, it often seems like I'm going to encounter a hard freeze, it's so abrupt. Still, I have NOT encountered any freezes yet, so credit where it's due.

After all the whining, I need to state the things I like about the game. The plot is probably the most interesting in a serious way, usually I just proceeded through the games for more jokes, this time I'm legitimately curious as to what the endgame is. The monster designs are very creative as before, and some of the random throwaway battle gags are great (a certain special battle condition in the zoo had me rolling). The music is EASILY the best in the series and deserves serious props. The voiced song came out of nowhere and I dragged the battle out to hear more of it. Finally, despite my complaints about the battle system earlier, it's not like anything that was good in 3 was outright lost, more like reorganized. It's possible this system is more balanced (the widely reduced amount of zero MP abilities suggests this).

• Options
    shoebox, you really might want to consider turning up the difficulty to Veteran. It makes a big difference in that it makes it so none of the fights are trivial and you still have a chance of losing in any fight, but it doesn't make them at all unbeatable. It also helps that there is essentially no penalty for dying in this game, and fights are relatively short, so having to retry a fight a couple of times isn't very frustrating at all. I played through 3 on Normal and then pushed it up to Veteran for 4, and it felt like a very natural progression in difficulty for me.

Also, I like that the abilities are less scattershot in 4. In 3 I loved the design of the classes, but all of them had a few abilities that made me scratch my head and ask "Why is this even here?" due to redundancy or not fitting the overall flavor of the class.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    I still need to beat the 3rd one. I don't know if I'm rusty or what, but I just started having a hell of a time beating enemies, even on medium difficulty. Perhaps I was doing something wrong?

What is your party set up?

Without being able to see how you are playing the game, my guess would be perhaps you are not using buffs enough (they are really good in this game) or you are not using interrupts enough (which are also really good)?

• Options

In 3 I found that what commonly caused me to lose battles was just letting them go on for too long. It helps to try to kill off enemies as quickly as possible and just get the battle over with, rather than playing too defensively. Focus-firing down enemies with low HP first is usually a good strategy, as the quicker you can have fewer guys attacking you each turn the better off you'll be.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I played and beat the game on Normal. With the exception of a few fights, I found Normal to be perfectly adequate for dealing with enemies. Some fights still tended to drag on (especially in the final chapters), and there's a few particular (optional boss) fights that I can't imagine how much more frustrating they would be in Veteran or Insane.
    Death and the Shadow Clones

I did truly enjoy the game, and I agree that the music is the best in the series, and one of the best soundtracks, even among modern games. I only wish that I could do a NG+
    and keep the stuff from the final area of the game, including the money and ultimate weapons/accessories

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    3 hours in was about where I turned the corner from "hey this game is pretty cool" to "man this a grind".

I made myself push through, but I wish the later fights were faster while still being a challenge. It was also frustrating to switch parties right when I was getting comfortable with my battle circuit. I also wish any item besides the Potion were useful on Normal. Buffz and Interrupters aren't ever necessary, Molotovs are waaaaay underpowered outside of a narrow level band, and Switch doesn't have much utility.

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    While I was finishing it up I kept wondering how the item chain was supposed to end in the original plan for the series.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I remember Buffz being awesome in 3, and have made good use of Interrupters so far in 4.

• Options
    To be honest I completely ignored the items altogether in 3.

At least early on in 4 I'm finding them extremely useful, but I could see that changing when I get more 0 abilities.

Also, does anyone know if Mr. Beaks' dive bomb ability is affected by strength? I assume it is because it says "wind attack" rather than "wind magic", yeah?

• Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    Dive bomb scales with strength, yes.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I like this game, but it doesn't have the ... charm that 3 had, I think. Also, I have never been a super big fan of trying to figure out optimal stat progression. On the other hand, I love trying to figure out who should have what abilities, and having each class of weapon give a different passive is a great idea. I also agree that not having the characters actually fight is somewhat off putting, as I am actually invested in Gabe and Tycho and Jim and so on. I think if one of the classes was an Underhell summoner or transformer or something, that could have been interesting, but I want to see my guys on the screen. On the other hand, I like the abilities and so on.

Having some of the item descriptions be only jokes was also a mistake, I think. The one off the top of my head is that yes, I can remember that the get up pin gives you a MP when you revive, but I worry I will forget.

I want to emphasize that I still like the game, I am just picking some nits.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited June 2013

Probably. I stomped through the game on the hardest setting with little to no difficulty

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Mondo BramptonMondo Brampton Registered User regular
    Why did they switch to an old rpg style thing?

I don't keep up with this series at all, I just remember the first one being all in 3D and stuff.

I did think it was hilarious how both Gabe and Tycho bitched about any negative reception they had towards their first game, like they're invulnerable to any criticism even though they're basically part-time game critics as a job haha

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Before PA, zeboyd made a bunch of pretty good and funny RPGs in an 8 bit style, and it worked pretty well, so they went with that.

• Options
    dougyfreshdougyfresh Registered User regular
    Any word if this will hit ipad soon? I'd much prefer having it on mobile

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    a5ehren wrote: »
    3 hours in was about where I turned the corner from "hey this game is pretty cool" to "man this a grind".

I made myself push through, but I wish the later fights were faster while still being a challenge. It was also frustrating to switch parties right when I was getting comfortable with my battle circuit. I also wish any item besides the Potion were useful on Normal. Buffz and Interrupters aren't ever necessary, Molotovs are waaaaay underpowered outside of a narrow level band, and Switch doesn't have much utility.

Gotta disagree with this. I think Vendorr is among the strongest of party members for his ability to spam Molotovs ridiculously. First turn, (free) Molotov. Turn 2, use the ability to lob a free Molotov. Turn 3, throw a third one... which is actually the first one you've used. AND if you're having a certain character
    Hestia
    as the trainer, you get stronger items. If you use Robspierre, even stronger items. Maybe you didn't buy into the upgrades soon enough? Or maybe they're weak on Hard/Insane? I dunno.

• Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    I'm on chapter 6 Jungle and sadly I've had to leave Vendorr on healing duty. I have a lot of money but I haven't seen a shop in a long time so the molotovs are doing pitiful damage currently.

• Options
    The first thing I do with Vendorr is his item strengthening ability.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    The first thing I do with Vendorr is his item strengthening ability.

When it says the "costs" go up, what does it mean? More MP required for his other abilities? Honestly at this point I don't run out of Molotov's in any battle unless the enemy is resistant to them, in which case who cares, they aren't helping much anyway.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Molotovs seriously lose usefulness really quickly.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    Vendorr's item boost makes both his skills cost more mp and his normal item usage take up an additional item use.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    To be honest I haven't played 3 in such awhile that I can't remember what I used. What's a good general purpose team? I may just start over one of these days cause I remember nothing about the story.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

I don't keep up with this series at all, I just remember the first one being all in 3D and stuff.

I did think it was hilarious how both Gabe and Tycho bitched about any negative reception they had towards their first game, like they're invulnerable to any criticism even though they're basically part-time game critics as a job haha

The studio that made 1 and 2 didn't want to do them anymore.

• Options
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Molotovs seriously lose usefulness really quickly.

You playing on Veteran or Insane or something? I can't offer an opinion on that. On Normal you're straight up wrong though.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited June 2013

They had to move on to do bigger and better things.

But it's just as well, Zeboyd picking up the next two games were clearly net gains for the series.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

They had to move on to do bigger and better things.

But it's just as well, Zeboyd picking up the next two games were clearly net gains for the series.

They were net gains for my happiness, at the very least.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Once
    Hestia joins the party and
    you get Fuschia, Vendorr isn't as necessary. Fuschia's usefulness as both a PARTY healer and support buffer are immeasurable. I think she already starts with Hug Everyone and she'll learn a few great buffs which make magic-strong characters like Grouchophon a fucking machine. Her level 30 ability is probably one of the best in the game, and possibly integral to survival on the harder difficulties.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Just finished the game, really enjoyed it. I found the combat system to be interesting but not necessarily that entertaining to me personally. With that in mind, I switched to Easy difficulty so I could just get through and enjoy the sights. The graphics, writing, music, style, and overall presentation were great. I think I am just kinda over turn-based RPG combat though, but in this game's defense at least they mixed things up more than most games of the genre.

Need a soundtrack maybe just for the Fish Force song alone. And the ending guitar. And the rest of it, I guess.

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
  • Options
    Need a soundtrack maybe just for the Fish Force song alone. And the ending guitar. And the rest of it, I guess.

http://www.loudr.fm/release/penny-arcade-s-on-the-rain-slick-precipice-of-darkness-episode-4/VskW2

I am so incredibly glad to have this, you have no idea.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Finished this up the other day. My brain had a really hard time reconciling the length of the game with the price; it kept going "how in the world is this in any way cost-effective? Only five bucks AND IT JUST KEEPS GOING." I enjoyed the classes of the third game more, but the selection of characters was much more fun than the third game. Definitely glad Zeboyd handled these, because they're overall far and away more entertaining than the first couple despite being cheaper.

@RainbowDespair, I'm not gonna lie: I would absolutely love to see you guys take an honest-to-goodness-homerun-swing at making a seriously-written full-on full-fledged full-length RPG in this style. I haven't seen anything that would indicate you guys wouldn't knock the spit out of that particular ball and make something up there with the classics of yesteryear but with a modern take.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Larger, more animated sprites (think Chrono Trigger).
    distant future
    sci-fi
    spy
    RPG
    female protagonist
    not a parody
    Lunar
    Chronicles of Prydain vibe

Gonna start my own Kickstarter to ask for people to give me money so I can give more money towards your Kickstarter when it comes out.

Also thanks for that soundtrack link, @RainbowDespair !

Kid Presentable on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    I appreciate the response to the game :) It was such a massive, massive amount of work for me. Far more work and in shorter time than just about anything I think I"ve ever done.

Also the Fish Force theme. I was at SGC this past weekend and people would come up to just to tell me that they love that song and have it stuck in their head all the time, haha :P

• Options
    BruanBruan Registered User regular
    Would I have to get the other Rainslick games before I started playing these?

Playstation: Anthai (Destiny)
    WiiU: jooncole (Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate)
    3DS: 2122-5983-8919
  • Options
    Bruan wrote: »
    Would I have to get the other Rainslick games before I started playing these?

Rainslick 3 picks up immediately after Rainslick 2, but it does do at least a little bit of explaining what went on in the first two.

You almost have to play Rainslick 3 to understand Rainslick 4, though.

• Options
    BruanBruan Registered User regular
    okay! maybe i'll get a package set somehow.

Playstation: Anthai (Destiny)
    WiiU: jooncole (Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate)
    3DS: 2122-5983-8919
  • Options
    The tail end of the game you go from having about 2-3 bench dudes to like 10. It's kind of horrifying. Especially because every
    cave I flew the whale to seemed to have a new party member. Okay, the fish from fish force. And a zombie Ninja. And Cthulu?!? Okay, I guess EVERYBODY I used throughout the game is out...
    Now I'm just wondering if there's enough fights left to top off
    the Nihilator.

I'm really excited to see a new Zeboyd game after these two, but I will miss the PA tie-in. Not for the characters per se (although I do like them) but for the sense of humor and style. If the team wanted to go more serious, they absolutely have the right to do that, but I wonder how that would clash with my perhaps unfair expectations now...

• Options
    dougyfreshdougyfresh Registered User regular
    I know I asked earlier, but now that some of the games devs are here... any idea of if/when an ipad release might hit? If its a year off I can suck it up and Steam it but if we are talking a month or two, Id rather just play it on the mobile

steam_sig.png