As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Legend of the Five Rings] is a CCG and an RPG!

• Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    We'll see. I am really looking forward to getting the actual rules in-hand next month.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I picked up the Naishou Province sourcebook for the RPG this week and it really is excellent

anyone who wants to run a game of L5R should really consider picking it up. It's massively timeline neutral and can be used at really any time, it's totally divorced from any meta-plot stuff, and gives you a cool playground with some unique and interesting but not weirdly so traits to it.

Definitely will be using that in the future

• Options
    I think the plan is for more products in that style, @Solar. I thought the Lion Elite Spearmen school they introduced in that book was a tad over the top. The first non-Mirumoto Bushi school to get 3 attacks, and they can even do it at range >.>

• Options
    Your bad self can get six attacks a round! Maximum boss.

I think that the entire line has been designed with that in mind, LT, but it's been a difficult thing for them to really pull off effectively, understandably so. This has really worked out excellently, though, I can very much say that you can use the background at pretty much any time you like (as long as you don't want to run it while the Scorpion are exiled or what-have-you).

Stuff like Spider characters being there for you to integrate but in sidebars in case that's not part of your game really works for me, and I appreciate that they've not only put in the effort, but that it's paid off. Really, really solid stuff, I think it's exemplary of the thought and consideration that the AEG RPG team has put into their work.

It is also designed to work with the upcoming "Secrets of the Empire" book, which I am now really, really excited for the release of!

• Options
    The next set, Aftermath, has been officially announced!

http://www.l5r.com/aftermath/

Some interesting cards on the preview list. The Imperial Heirs (Iweko Seiken and Iweko Shibatsu) will be making an appearance as well as some more Yodotai love including a guidance.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    More importantly, Mantis previews on Monday! :D

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I picked up the Naishou Province sourcebook for the RPG this week and it really is excellent

anyone who wants to run a game of L5R should really consider picking it up. It's massively timeline neutral and can be used at really any time, it's totally divorced from any meta-plot stuff, and gives you a cool playground with some unique and interesting but not weirdly so traits to it.

Definitely will be using that in the future

Hmm. Any idea if this is eventually coming to pdf via drivethru/rpgnow? Everything I've heard about this sounds awesome, but I am in a 'do not add items to the bookshelves' mode.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Sorry all, I forgot it was a friend's 25th birthday over the weekend and I was barely at home due to the celebrations. I will get a post in the game thread this morning, promise.

Oh, also, what's the best method for doing dice rolls for this? I don't know of any bots that let you post results to forums that support the roll and keep system.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Geth does, though I'm a little hazy on the more-complicated options.

Geth roll 4d10k2

4d10k2 16 [4d10k2=[9, 7], 6, 1]

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Sweet. Shall we give any rolls a color so we know they are OOC? for example

Perception check
    Geth roll 2d10k2

Exploded 10
    Geth roll 1d10k1

2d10k2 15 [2d10k2=[10, 5]]

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    And it seems Geth does not explode 10s. Also, telling Geth to do 2 rolls in a row doesn't seem to work either. Any ideas? I was kinda hoping to do multiple rolls in a single post (for multiple perception checks, as I just wanted to make a note of things and move on without doing super investigating yet).

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I could swear someone said something about exploding dice in the RPG thread at some point, as well, but I only remember the keep option because I've used it. Either way, edits can't add or change rolls, so it's a multi-post situation, to the best of my knowledge. I'd prefer a non-blue color for rolls, but color-coding them is a good idea.

... also this is totally the general L5R thread, not the OOC one. :D

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Wow, don't I feel dumb now. Ah well.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Wow, don't I feel dumb now. Ah well.

Nah, now everyone who stops in will know Geth can roll L5R appropriate dice. We gain wisdom even from our errors!

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    More importantly, Mantis previews on Monday! :D

They just went up! I've been seriously thinking of playing a Kitsune deck in Ivory Edition, a decision reinforced by the appearance of experienced BEE LADY

AftermathFinal-40-KitsuneMerihiko.jpg

• Options
    My God

Bees

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Imagining Crane samurai getting stung to death in court by giant killer bees is my new happy place. :D

We've got bear spirits already, now just need shark spirits that explode to summon MORE BEES.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    AEG's been playing Terraria and / or Minecraft, it seems.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    3G for Battle bow a personality is a tad steep, especially without Kalani's Landing to pay for it. :(

I'm seriously eyeing a crazy Mantis boxable deck after Aftermath hits. So many good 4-5G personalities with relevant keywords. :O

• Options
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    I'm getting really worried about all the help dishonor is getting. Removing seppuku is big and I don't think some of the currently dual bugged personalities have that factored in. It feels like an overcompensation for the Honor Requirement change, to be honest.

I like Fear coming back and combining Ranged/Melee Attacks, but I don't know how that achieves the lessened complexity they said they wanted.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    I figure Fear is going to be replacing all the "Bow someone with X or less Force" abilities.

Seppuku, I could go either way on. Will need to see more of the Ivory cardset before committing.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    So uh, Jade Pearl Inn is going to be a $25-$30 rare. >.>

• Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Link?

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    Chikan Gatsu has some interesting previews, with a solid 1 for 1 and the first Reserve attachment we've seen: http://ccg.webd.pl/

• Options
    So as I am now a tattooed dude in solar's game (yay!), I have to ask: who are the coolest ones around now that the Mitsu / Kokujin storyline is long over?

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Oh, hey, a letter in the mail that had a giant Mantis mom stamped on it. Wonder what's in this letter, haven't gotten one in a while...

yeeeeeeees

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Auralynx wrote: »
    So as I am now a tattooed dude in solar's game (yay!), I have to ask: who are the coolest ones around now that the Mitsu / Kokujin storyline is long over?

Satsu is still kind of a boss, but his son Togashi Noboru is a noted asshole which leads to some fun times. There haven't been a lot of other tattooed folks getting story time, unfortunately, and Satsu just recently stepped down as Voice of the Emperor because he's dying.

• Options
    Shameless plug:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rlia418QepA

^ That is Breach of Etiquette episode 1, which I had a hand in creating. I'd really like to know what you folks think!

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Ok, I'm starting to read the 4th edition RPG books - how does a 'mock' clan set up in the Shadowlands to be a dark mirror of the Great Clans come around to being a legit clan of the Empire?

I mean, I'm assuming this is all CCG stuff bleeding over into the RPG? I think I'll stick to pre-Clan Coup time frames cause the more recent stuff seems pretty ....far out there.

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    Ok, I'm starting to read the 4th edition RPG books - how does a 'mock' clan set up in the Shadowlands to be a dark mirror of the Great Clans come around to being a legit clan of the Empire?

I mean, I'm assuming this is all CCG stuff bleeding over into the RPG? I think I'll stick to pre-Clan Coup time frames cause the more recent stuff seems pretty ....far out there.

For my money, the Clan Coup is good but Toturi gets seriously crazy and it just gets wackier from there. I'm kind of with you, pre coup is awesome and good.

However, I'm a fan of the Spider in one sense. I like them as the moral opposition. They are the bad guys who do bad things for the wrong reasons. They aren't the Scorpion, the Scorpion exist to do the things that no one else can stomach. The Spider are there to say that there's another way of living. They are the opposition to Bushido. That's pretty cool. I would have been happy if they had not been Shadowlands at all.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    That's cool and all, but it just doesn't seem to really mesh.

I mean, yea as bad guys, or some kind of alternate play - they are awesome. Shoehorning them into the default setting seems a stretch is all. Especially in the span of like what..30 years or something? Ugh.

• Options
    relhokrelhok Registered User regular
    For the "how" they got there, sometimes even Samurai have to make a deal with the devil - if you're unaware, the Spider became a Great Clan after Daigotsu took his place as Dark Lord of Jigoku. He offered that no one in the Empire would unwillingly be tainted by the Shadowlands if his followers were made a great clan, which is really a pretty solid deal for the Rokugan in most terms.. particularly since not many really like or deal with the Spider much anyway. That said, yeah, my games I run tend to be pre-clan coup, just because the meta plot beyond can make it a bit harder for your PCs to shine.

• Options
    I really disagree with that latter point, @relhok. I think the metaplot should serve as inspiration for your own games, and provide take-off points. For example, the current Heroes of Rokugan living campaign is based off of an alternate take in the post-Day of Thunder timeline. Hell, the Thousand Years of Darkness is a canon alternate timeline that's a perfect example of this.

The metaplot is a box full of toys. How you interact with them is entirely up to you and your group. Not every game needs (or wants) Hantei the 38th to be alive.

• Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    Some previews for the Ivory Edition core set! I like the bounty hunter's ability, it's very flavorful and I imagine it'll be quite useful with the new gold rules.

phdgames.com/ivory-edition-card-exclusive/

• Options
    I really disagree with that latter point, @relhok. I think the metaplot should serve as inspiration for your own games, and provide take-off points. For example, the current Heroes of Rokugan living campaign is based off of an alternate take in the post-Day of Thunder timeline. Hell, the Thousand Years of Darkness is a canon alternate timeline that's a perfect example of this.

The metaplot is a box full of toys. How you interact with them is entirely up to you and your group. Not every game needs (or wants) Hantei the 38th to be alive.

Oh, I think we're on the same point and I worded myself a bit poorly there - I meant to state that raw, followed to the tee metaplot is stifling to a game (particularly with my group of players, who tend to spend the game wanting to "hang out" with the NPCs they like the most if I give them the chance to do so) - if you're placing yourself in the modern timeline for more than a "few shot" game, I definitely feel like going for something alternate to the metaplot that existed.

We're all playing L5R because we like the plot, in my experience.

As for the new cards, I find Ivory both interesting and kind of scary - the changes to the rules are almost entirely ones I'm pretty bullish on, but at the same time, the card power level, raw personality kill aside doesn't seem to be much off of Emperor level power, and I was definitely hoping for something a bit lower at the start of the arc and the new rules experiment for sure.

• Options
    I disagree on the IvE personality statement. Gates of Chaos had *very* few personalities that really affect EE, and as far as I can tell only Chagatai's Wrath and *maybe* Iweko Seiken in Aftermath will really accomplish anything. No one is buying the current sets because they're even close to EE-playable.

• Options
    I suppose I may be being a bit trigger shy regarding force/gold ratios - the changes in pacing may make that perfectly fine. Hopefully so, I do really like the rules changes and the seeming direction for philosophy on battle actions. I may just be in a pessimistic zone regarding it.

On the mostly unrelated side, I've gotten pretty spoiled in other games having it pretty easy finding minis or things like Pathfinder Pawns for running games. I know that Reaper has some Samurai stuff spread through their lines, but beyond that, does anyone have good suggestions for finding minis other than hitting up e-bay to find Clan Wars figurines?

• Options
    The Clan Wars minis are awful, but they are in print by.... someone.

Were I hunting for L5R-appropriate minis, I'd hit up these guys: http://kensei.zenitminiatures.es/en/ The minis themselves are gorgeous and stylish, they have a great selection of monsters, and they put a lot of other samurai minis to shame. Shipping from Spain certainly hurts, but if you want quality I haven't seen better.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    ho-ly-shit. Cav changes.

http://youtu.be/AUJ5Halz0qI

tl;dr version:

Duelist is just "duelists win ties against non-duelists" now.
    Cavalry Maneuvers segment is gone. As a Engage, you can, once per turn, move a Cav unit to the current battlefield. Doesn't need to be opposed.
    Naval is fairly similar, except it's once per turn now, doesn't count the number of Naval cards at the battlefield (so you don't need to have more than the opponent), and can be taken by any card in the Naval personality's unit. Due to targeting/performing changes, you can't do strategies off Naval anymore.
    Conqueror is a trait that brings them home in their current state without bowing at the end of battle. So everyone with the trait can use it instead of just once per turn.

EDIT:
    Cavalry- Absent Engage: Target your unbowed Personality in a Cavalry unit at any location. Move him to the current battlefield.
    is apparently the specific wording.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg