As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Delta Green - OOC] Blackout

AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriumsPlateau of LengRegistered User regular
edited June 2013 in Critical Failures
Hello @jdarksun, @Nealneal, @Farangu and @Void_Slayer ! Welcome to Delta Green - Blackout, which is my Call of Cthulhu campaign! Yes, it's actually happening! HUZZAH! Before I edit the OP to more suitable and make the IC thread though, there is some information that I need you to give me before I write the opening story. This naturally ties in your characters to the campaign and gives you a logical starting point. Note that jdarksun does not have to do anything if he doesn't want to, as I can automatically write his character into the story by default. However, it would be good to involve at least one of the other characters in the initial investigation so that we can get things moving along and involved.

So this is the information I need, trying not to ruin anything too specific about the plot of the investigation:

1) What is your character doing on 4th January, 2013 at approximately 1:33 am? This was a friday night if you're wondering.

2) Did you take the subway at this time?

2B) Specifically, was it 111th Street Station?

3) Do you know anyone who took the subway at this time?

4) If you answered yes to 2; then was anyone with you at the time? Family members, girlfriend or whatever?

If you don't provide any of this information or can't think of anything, I shall write you into the plot in some manner befitting my numerous evil whimseys (well, except jdarksun who you can guess being a cop, actually has a decent reason to get involved anyway). If you do choose either option 2 or 3, we will actually begin the game at the moment your character is on the platform for the subway train and go from there (roleplay out the consequences in short). Otherwise I will involve your characters in the 111th Street Station "Incident" in some manner to begin the game.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
Aegeri on

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    1. At approximately 1:30 A.M., Adam is picking up his brother, Phil, from a woman's apartment.

2. No, using a cab.

3 & 4. Not anyone he cares about.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Where does this woman live? Does she live anywhere around Broadway in New York?

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    1) As a Rookie on the force, Carrie has the Friday night graveyard shift. At 1:33 am, she's nursing her second cup of coffee and doing a patrol through Corona.

2) No.

3) Carrie has little sister who could be on her way back to Queens College, if she was wasting her time trying to get into clubs instead of studying like she's supposed to. Though God knows what she's going to do with a degree in Philosophy.

4) n/a

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    1) Bringing a date back to his hotel room from a club, he is in New York attending a conference on malaria prevention attempts in several war torn African countries.

2)Yes, slightly inebriated they took the wrong train.

3)To the 111th Street Station, waiting on a transfer.

4)Just Joanna, a 20 something attractive Hispanic woman he met that night. He might recognize Carrie's sister from when he saw her outside the same club he went to, if he really cared, which he doesn't.

If any of that doesn't work I can think of something else.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Where does this woman live? Does she live anywhere around Broadway in New York?

She has an apartment on W. 61st St., as she is attending the John Jay College of Criminal Justice, after confusing an obsession with Law and Order as a career path.

(Edit: From someone who has never been to NY in his life, I say a hearty Thank You to Google Maps.)

Farangu on
  • Options
    That's a good point: I use as many real locations, places and such as I can. So if I give you a street address, for example, you can absolutely look it up on google maps or whatever. It can sometimes provide clues!

Okay Void Slayer has put himself in the firing line. So we're going to role play out the entire night then. In this case, please don't have your character just asleep or something. That would be kind of boring for you @Nealneal. This makes life a bit more complicated though, but I am getting the story strings that will connect you all together now.

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    1: Heading back to the girlfirend's apartment. Soon to be Ex-girlfriend at that point I suppose.
    2: Certainly did. 2b. No.
    3: Bill Sullivan, a friend who was working late at a small gallery.
    4: Girlfriend Elizabeth Carter. She and Simon were arguing intently about their future.

Nealneal on
  • Options
    So we're all set then, correct?

• Options
    Yep. I now have enough information to start everything shortly. Though I will quickly ask, Nealneal, you wouldn't happen to be driving would you? Just curious.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    No, they're taking a train.

Nealneal on
  • Options
    Whoooops. Reading comprehension fail on my part.

Right, time for evil!!!

• Options
    ...is evil coming?

• Options
    How do you know it isn't already here ;)

Actually my wife was sick all weekend! So that was the evil I had to deal with. Only got home late yesterday. Quite the puzzle.

• Options
    Ouch, yea. Understandable.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    OH LOOK AT WHAT I JUST DID.

My apologies about the delays! I needed to write a few things differently to accomodate some changes I made.

Edit: And yes, you might have noticed a certain something about the OP.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Also now that the game has started, I will soon be putting up (minding with me and my definition of "Soon", which is becoming a bit like Valve time, it might be a while yet ;)) TheTruthintheParanormal, which at the moment will probably be a wordpress website. This website is fully in game, which will feature various articles/rantings and such of its sociopathic owner, who is for all intents and purposes an NPC who exists within the games world. This website is designed with a few ideas in mind:

1) The first and most important part is to bridge this game and my other game together. You will be able to interact with the other players, talk to one another, find out what resulted from their various investigations (who lived/died horribly etc). To facilitate this, if your character posts on the website can you make sure I know your characters "Screen name" so I know who is probably talking to who. You can learn some interesting and relevant things to your investigation from things the other players characters know!

2) You are welcome to make gimmick accounts or similar to post on the website. Basically, I don't mind you trolling the other players if you want - within reason.

3) The owner of the website is not always correct. Don't take everything you read on the website as game canon - he's not always right and I will post red herrings on there from time to time. Plus, not every article will be relevant to your investigations.

4) Assume everything posted on the website is happening at roughly the same time in both games, for example something I post now in June you should assume is posted before whatever date is relevant in game. This is just to make life easier for you.

5) I may get entirely random people posting on the website (but doubtfully). This is why if you're posting either as your character or a gimmick account, I need to know so I can potentially get rid of people who might be deliberately making problems for no good reason.

6) On the other hand, anyone not playing in the game if you can follow the general rules and want to do some IC roleplaying now and again, is more than welcome to post on the blog. Just make sure you send me a PM and such letting me know who you are.

Otherwise I hope to have that done soon.

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Just testing.

Geth roll "1d100" for test

test:
    1d100 84 [1d100=84]

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    ...Where's Void Slayer's character in the IC thread?

• Options
    Farangu wrote: »
    ...Where's Void Slayer's character in the IC thread?

That's a very good question.

• Options
    Is it possible for us to get copies of our character stats in the OP of the IC thread?

• Options
    Yes, I will do that on a computer tomorrow. Doing it by iPad is going to be... Awkward :P

• Options
    Fair enough.

Also, when you ask for Characteristic tests(STR, DEX, etc), are you going to tell us what the passive characteristic is, or do we just roll and hope for the best?

• Options
    Roll and hope for the best, I like the mystery. Mostly though it should be fairly intuitive, such as if you need to open something it will generally be strength vs. the strength (basically resistance) of how the door is stuck. In the case of the subway it was the characters strength vs. how I determined the strength (or force) of the jolt would be and so on. In cases where I want something done faster, I will tell you the stats of the attacking stat to move forward quicker. You will need to use the resistance table in the quick start rules to find out the result.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    So here is a good example, because I want things to move along I've given you the various numbers and results required to narrate yourselves what happens if you succeed/fail. I'll frequently do this for things when I want to move the narrative or story along, but otherwise I will tend to keep things stats and similar to myself (unless I want to speed up play). For example, I will rarely give you combat statistics for mythos monsters but cultists or ordinary enemies to speed up combat, I will give you their respective stats/HP so you can narrate what happens to them/results of your rolls without needing me to do so directly.

Edit: Also watching the way things are going, I think it would be helpful to roll your things in this thread instead of the IC thread. So you can make sanity checks and similar, see the result and then write your posts on the assumption of it succeeding/failing (as an example). This means you can customize your narration more and we don't multipost in the IC thread for every action. Another example would be if you're rolling to hit an enemy and you do, you can just narrate the result directly in the IC thread instead of having to edit the post later or make a new post.

Edit2: @Nealneal could you format your character for me like how jdarksun and Farangu did for the IC thread please, so I can copy him into the OP easily.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    So it has occurred to me to ask that you guys did know that you actually start with basic proficiencies in many skills. For example, it's very rare not to know something about using the library, doing certain tasks like melee attacks and similar. When you add points to these skills, on the default character sheet for a modern character (which you can get here for free, may have to register). As an example, all of you have a base persuade skill of 15%, even if you never put any points into it. If you add points to persuade, they go on top of the base skill chance. So if you put 15 of your skill points into Persuade, your skill is actually 30% - not 15%. You add the base percentage to the amount of skill you added to get the total. This also means everyone is at least somewhat competent in most combat skills and similar. If you need to adjust these numbers, let me know if you didn't do this and I will go through and give you the correct %s in the character sheets in the IC thread.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Updated the character in the original thread. I think I got everything covered.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/26947077/#Comment_26947077

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Roll 1d100, compare your result against the Resistance Table in the Quick Start Guide. With a Strength of 10 and a target of 5, Carrie needs to roll equal or less than 75, I believe, and Adam would need less than or equal to 85. If I'm remembering how this works correctly.

Nealneal on
  • Options
    Yep, that sounds right. Basically it should be pretty easy with two people compared to doing it by yourself.

• Options
  • Options
    A narrow success is still a success :P

• Options
  • Options
    Minion, roll 3#1d100 for Drive checks
    Minion, roll 1#1d100 for Luck check

Drive checks:
    3#1d100 3 # 61 [1d100=61] 75 [1d100=75] 81 [1d100=81]
    Luck check:
    1#1d100 1 # 60 [1d100=60]

• Options
    That is seriously unfortunate!

• Options
    Minion, roll 1d100 for First Aid check

Aegeri, do you want all rolls in here, or are you fine with rolls in IC?

First Aid check:
    1d100 55 [1d100=55]

• Options
    We will make the rolls in here, then use the IC thread to narrate the results. So make sure your rolls are clear in this thread for what you're trying to do. Unfortunately though jdarksun failed all three of the drive checks - not the luck check. You will need to give me a little while to decide how to narrate this.

• Options
    Ooh ooh!

He hits bystanders.

• Options
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I was going to have him die, but then I thought about how to make this far more interesting in future potentially. I shall update the IC thread shortly.

Well once I am back from hunting for food anyway.

Aegeri on