As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Welcome to Babby's First [Weight Loss & Fitness] thread!

ArthilArthil Registered User regular
Okay so I think MyFitnessPal is not in fact my pal, my buddy, my guy and is actually a god damned liar.

I click 'complete entry' going back weeks and weeks, and it keeps giving a ballpark of me dropping down to about 250-260 pounds. But then again I have actually lost 8 pounds since May, from 286 to about 277. Maybe I'm just having one of 'those' moments where I want the weight gone faster but forget that it did take me months to get where I already am.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil

• Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    Your progress sounds solid as hell Art. My scale weight's being a jerk lately, though I know I'm losing fat. I should probably start taking waist measurements and progress pictures.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    My Mondays are typically ruined by me eating a small dinner, going out and drinking/singing until 1:00, and then eating hotdogs until I pass out

I love Mondays

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    pro tip: very spicy cassava crackers and apple mentos do not go together as well as you might think.

Ok it's not really a fitness tip per se but it's something to keep in mind.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    I don't think I ever would have looked at those two things and decided they would go together well...were you a drunken bear at the time?

• Options
    Fyndir wrote: »
    I don't think I ever would have looked at those two things and decided they would go together well...were you a drunken bear at the time?

No, i finished my lunch with a few crackers and then decided to eat mentos. Perfectly sensible!

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Oh, for some reason I read the post as you like, putting the mentos ON the crackers and eating them.

• Options
    logistically tricky, but not completely out of the question.

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Plateaus can go fuck themselves. I made it through the first month of Insanity. But my wife wants to start doing it with me, so we're starting over again from the beginning (I don't feel like I'm ready for month 2 right now, anyway). I'm down to just a few lbs over 200, but I've been stuck at a few lbs over 200 for a couple weeks now. Couple that with my growing feeling of contentment with my current appearance (I'm still not happy with it, but I'm down to a point where I don't feel embarrassed anymore), and it's adding up to a serious challenge to my willpower. All I want to do is stuff my face with McDonald's and lay around on the couch all night. :?

• Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    I'm going back to food tracking, so I stop snacking all the damn time.

Starting today with two americanos, just because.

• Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    I've been back into running for about a month now. I shaved over a minute off of my mile time as of yesterday.

7:35 for one mile. Feeling pretty good about that one.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Been eating terribly lately, stupid anxiety making me want comfort food

There's willpower in my brain somewhere, I just have to find it :S

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    huh i found a salad combo that is actually delicious from the deli

i think the spicy meats + the cashews is what did it

poo
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    McDonalds is seriously one of those places that the thought of eating there grosses me out unless I'm just incredibly desperate and hungry.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    @Godmode made these really delicious burgers yesterday that just made me feel so much better.

I think I ate the thing in under thirty seconds.

• Options
    Now Whataburger?

I will straight up destroy me some Whataburger if presented with it.

Also I probably need to go to the store and cook up a bunch of food but I really don't feel like it today and I think that's gonna be a Wednesday thing because ill have all afternoon to do it and study.

Lucky I still got some beef fajita meat leftover from Thursday

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I think I am fated to never lose weight again

I am like on year five of my plateau

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    I'm trying to just bring a salad to work for lunch to eat healthier and also so I don't have to think of what to bring every day.
    Got a bunch of romaine, some chopped up chicken tenderloins (garlic powder, salt and pepper), chopped R/Y/O peppers and about .75oz Caesar dressing (yes, from the store, because it's delicious and I don't care). Makes for a super tasty salad. I think the dressing and the sweetness of the peppers really works together and I just devour the whole thing and love every second of it.

Next step is really trying to keep dinners under control and not go too crazy. I really want to try and focus on proteins and veggies, but my wife doesn't like eating the same thing every night (including salad), so it's a little trickier finding things to make to keep variety up that we will both still enjoy eating (sorry, I just love salad and will eat it every day).
    Our last frozen pizza is gone and only a few cans of Dr Pepper left (I finished what we had, then family visited and bought new...). Slowly finishing off the 'bad' things we have so we can start filling the fridge with better things. Although, the last couple weeks our fridge was so full of veggies and fruit we could barely fit anything in there (Costco grapes and pineapple, half a watermelon, a cantaloupe, 1lb raspberries).

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    @FrylockHolmes Yeah, I checked the logs on my MyFitnessPal and I've lost about 25 lbs since the beginning of the year. Not the amazing 50lb drop I had when I started, but they say obese people lose weight faster than if you're just overweight. :D

Also I checked my blood pressure at work, Kroger's got that little machine for it, and it said I'm 136 over 80. A little high, but nothing to be too worried about.

This might be a bad time to also say that I ate like, 4 whole pieces of bacon and 4 large eggs for breakfast :B @Mogs

Arthil on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I think I am fated to never lose weight again

I am like on year five of my plateau

Is it a diet thing?

• Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    @FrylockHolmes Yeah, I checked them logs on my MyFitnessPal and I've lost about 25 lbs since the beginning of the year. Not the amazing 50lb drop I had when I started, but they say obese people lose weight faster than if you're just overweight. :D

Also I checked my blood pressure at work, Kroger's got that little machine for it, and it said I'm 136 over 80. A little high, but nothing to be too worried about.

This might be a bad time to also say that I ate like, 4 whole pieces of bacon and 4 large eggs for breakfast :B @Mogs

Yeah the weight loss slows a bit, I definitely lose slower at 195 than at 260. But look at it this way, each pound is a more significant percentage of the total when you're a lower weight anyway.

Also I totally noticed my eggs were about to reach their expiration date and ate the last 8 all at once the other day.

• Options
    Oh god that's almost, that's almost all the eggs!

• Options
    SkankPlayaSkankPlaya Registered User regular
    If you want to break through your plateau, there is a secret voodoo ritual involving sending me envelopes full of cash no questions asked. Then I will tell you all about how you just have to keep on keepin' on, don't go crazy, evaluate your diet and exercise to make sure you're accounting for your current weight and not your starting weight, and uh, keep at it some more. Don't add dumb cleanse things, or starve yourself, or go crazy and hurt yourself because you spent 15 hours doing sprints at the track and now your hammies are wrecked and you can't work out any more.

BUT I WANT THAT CASH UP FRONT! NO QUESTIONS, REMEMBER?

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    m1t.gif

• Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    How does babby frigth back against weight loss?

• Options
    Arthil wrote: »
    @FrylockHolmes Yeah, I checked the logs on my MyFitnessPal and I've lost about 25 lbs since the beginning of the year. Not the amazing 50lb drop I had when I started, but they say obese people lose weight faster than if you're just overweight. :D

My blood pressure is higher than yours

In other news, who gives a fuck?

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I almost wish that I didn't love food. That I could be content to just anything for sustenance and my care whether it tasted like anything. Would make changing food and eating so much easier.

• Options
    But then life would be not worth living

poo
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    oh, I agree.

Ecco pretty much eats to survive. i swear his tastebuds are absolutely ruined by years of his mother's horrible cooking. ruined. He doesn't care how the food tastes, just that its food. which is both good on those nights where i can't be bothered cooking. but on the nights where i cook, it's kind of disturbing that i know it's kind of wasted on him.

but yeah.

why does food have to be so good. or at least why does the food that i find amazing have to also be bad for me.

• Options
    I dunno

Why can't I sleep I dunno

4am and wide awake

Why can I never just sleep 8 hrs

Okay tomorrow I'm making a doc appt, or rather, today

poo
  • Options
    I dunno

Why can't I sleep I dunno

4am and wide awake

Why can I never just sleep 8 hrs

Okay tomorrow I'm making a doc appt, or rather, today

I command you to sleep!

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I'm on week four of working out and I haven't lost a pound yet. I know water weight is going to fluctuate some, but it'd do my self confidence a lot of good if one wednesday morning when i weighed myself it went down rather than up. The first week it did go down, but I weighed myself in the later afternoon right after I got home with the bathroom scale and then one week later i weighed myself first thing in the morning so I think that was a fluke, after that I've done nothing but gain.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    But have you changed your diet at all? Because that's just as important as exercise for losing weight, if that's what you're going for.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Breakfast is whey protein and some scrambled egg whites

Lunch is some grilled chicken breast and some steamed vegetables, usually broccoli or a salad.

I have another serving of whey protein after my workout when I get home

Dinner is more chicken and veggies, maybe some brown rice.

Outside of a cup of black coffee in the morning and mixing my whey powder with 2% or skim milk all I drink is water.

The only time I've broken this habit is when I went out to eat weekend before last and had some sashimi, and the other day I grabbed some salmon and red cabbage from a place downtown for lunch at work. My diet was never really the issue to begin with, it was near complete inactivity. Sitting at a desk for 10 hours a day, going home and being mentally exhausted from all the bullshit I put up with at work, and then sitting around at home doing nothing.

So I started spending 30 minutes on an elliptical trying to at least keep the rpms above 35 regardless of the resistance or vertical scale 5 days a week, and then lifting MWF with the 30 minutes of cardio done after the workouts. I bought a bathroom scale on the wednesday of my first week doing this and weighed myself in the evening when I got home just out of curiosity. So it's been something like this.

I'm 6' 6" if that helps you with an idea of my body type.

Week 1 - (evening) 317
    Week 2 - (morning) 310
    Week 3 - (morning) 310.5
    Week 4 - (morning) 314

Here's my current workout routine.

Monday

Squats
    Lunges
    Dumbbell Tricep Kickback
    Standing Dumbbell Curls

Wednesday

Bench
    Incline Dumbbell
    Flyes
    Dips

Friday

Deadlifts
    Standing Dumbbell Rows
    Dumbbell Overhead Press
    Bent Over Single Arm Rows

just a basic 3 sets of 10 reps or as close to 10 reps as I can get, if I'm able to do 10 reps without issue, I go up on the weight. I'm doing this at home, and I don't have a squat rack, so I've just been holding dumbbells.

I'm not expect instant super results, I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time by not doing enough, or doing something wrong.

Viskod on
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Perhaps muscle is still replacing fat and since it's heavier, you've just done BIG GAINS instead of losing overall weight.

godmode on
  • Options
    Really? I mean, that would be nice to but that much so soon?

• Options
    Looks like you're doing a pretty rigorous workout. I wouldn't be surprised.

But I'm not gonna lie, I could be completely wrong. I'm not an expert.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    How big are the portions you're eating

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Just 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, and then two servings of one of those Bird's Eye steamable vegetables. One bag of those is 4 servings and we just split one at dinner.

Edit: I actually have one at work with me that I'm going to re-heat and eat for lunch later, and a little scale I've been using to measure, this one breast is 150g.

Viskod on
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    Perhaps muscle is still replacing fat and since it's heavier, you've just done BIG GAINS instead of losing overall weight.

1lb of muscle weighs the same as 1lb of fat. The difference is how big 1lb of muscle is vs 1lb of fat.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Yeah muscle is denser not 'heavier'.

This discussion has been closed.