As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Welcome to Babby's First [Weight Loss & Fitness] thread!

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    What weighs more 1000 lbs of bricks or 1000 lbs of feathers

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    my dick.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I fill my dick with over a thousand pounds of bricks and feathers every day.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I don't fuckin' know dudes I'm just grasping at straws

Bogey on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    The only way to truly know dudes is to grasp their straws. You are on the right path.

• Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Just 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, and then two servings of one of those Bird's Eye steamable vegetables. One bag of those is 4 servings and we just split one at dinner.

Edit: I actually have one at work with me that I'm going to re-heat and eat for lunch later, and a little scale I've been using to measure, this one breast is 150g.

Unless those are weight gain shakes, i'd be inclined to say you're not eating enough.

Are you comfortable on this amount of food?

Mostly i suspect scale shenanigans of some kind.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    The brand I've been using is ONs Gold Standard Whey Protein. Just one scoop with 8 to 10 ounces of milk. And yes, I'm comfortable.

• Options
    If you're comfortable on that amount (which by my calcs is at or below 1500cals) then maintain it for another 3 weeks. Track your morning weight, keeping clothing, amt of food and bowels as constant as possible. See what happens.

I reckon it's scale shenanigans.

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    I think I am fated to never lose weight again

I am like on year five of my plateau

LS, if you've really been stuck on a plateau for five years, that's a pretty strong sign that you're going to have to change something up.

You do a lot of yoga, right? Anything else?

• Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Have you taken your measurements since you started, Viskod?

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Actually I have not. I guess I need to do that.

• Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Especially if you are doing it all through weight training, you are likely going to see more drastic changes in your body shape, as opposed to weight.

Or maybe I'm perpetrating a myth I learned on the internet...

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    TheCanMan wrote: »

LS, if you've really been stuck on a plateau for five years, that's a pretty strong sign that you're going to have to change something up.

Yeah, I was mostly bitching.

Currently I do an hour and a half of yoga four days a week, then zumba or free weights or Pilates on a fifth day, and... well I tend to just go home on the other two days after work. I am no longer jogging every day like I was last year, but I hope to start that again this week. (I will have no choice because my new apartment has no yard.)

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I also hike once a week.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    TheCanMan wrote: »

Yeah, I was mostly bitching.

Currently I do an hour and a half of yoga four days a week, then zumba or free weights or Pilates on a fifth day, and... well I tend to just go home on the other two days after work. I am no longer jogging every day like I was last year, but I hope to start that again this week. (I will have no choice because my new apartment has no yard.)

I know you've said how much you like yoga, so it'd be completely understandable to ignore this, but I'd drop yoga down to2 days/week and up your zumba/weights to 3 day/week.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    . Morning weigh in once a week. Completely naked and after your first trip to the bathroom.

Measure measure measure. When I started last year or so my weight numbers did not change much at all be the measurements did. Tons.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I also hike once a week.

How's your diet? I assume you try to keep it relatively healthy? I actually don't exercise much at all (soon to change) and my weight has dropped a ton just with diet change. We'll see how the added exercise goes - though added muscle may slow down the 'weight loss' as well.

• Options
    I'd like to say that my diet is really healthy but it's clearly not enough

I tend to eat around 1400 to 1600 a day, which is more than my weight loss calculator recommends, unfortunately

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Anyway tomorrow I'm going to try a new free weights class at the gym, so that's fun

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    yay! free weights!

i love free weights.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Ok I need some basic advice, I have trouble with waking up on time, right now I usually work until 2am and three days a week I have a second job at 5am, but on the other days it would be nice if I could wake my fat ass up and get to the gym. Any suggestions? I need to hit the gym more often but my dumb job is keeping me away

• Options
    back on the wagon!

today has consisted of devouring an entire telegraph (english/hot house whatever) cucumber, 2 capsicums, 2 carrots, half a punnet of cherry tomatoes, 1 head of baby romaine lettuce, and a 250g can of tuna.

Plus about a liter to tea.

• Options
    TallaclasseeTallaclassee you ever seen a lion limber up before it takes down a gazelleRegistered User regular
    Sprints, hills, and swims for fastest weight loss imo.

• Options
    I really hate deadlifts.

I don't know what makes it so much different from the old gym but I feel pretty much nothing but loathing for them right now.

I miss my old enthusiasm for heavy things.

• Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    Lifting heavy things is so great though.

You can’t give up. Not until you can military press ecco for at least 5 reps.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I got some queries on workout recovery stuff, and the ol' Goog ain't helping me as much as I'd like. Contradictory information and whatnot.

Currently, I'm doing some form of exercise daily. M/W/F, an hour of jiu-jitsu and a 5k run. Tu/Th/Sa, 5k run and a mess of pull-ups/push-ups/hanging-leg-lifts. I always wrap up two hours before work, whereat I'm on my feet a bunch and do a fair amount of running.

My recovery "regimen" as it currently stands is to drink a whey/soy protein shake as soon as I finish my workout, then eat a mid-sized meal an hour later with a chicken breast or equivalent protein source.

Is that enough? Is my timing right on everything? I feel pretty good, usually, but wanna make sure I'm maximizing my returns or whatever the workout equivalent phrase is.

• Options
    That seems fine dude.

The phrase you're looking for is "capitalising on my gains". Gains made through optimal use of these protocols are known as 'capital gains'.

That's about all you need to know before it gets weird and we stray into tax policy for some reason.

• Options
    I mean, if you wanted to add some sugar to the PWO shake for a well timed insulin spike, i wouldn't complain. Fruit or honey can go down well.i had some friends just dumping icing sugar in their shakes for this

• Options
    AJR wrote: »
    Lifting heavy things is so great though.

You can’t give up. Not until you can military press ecco for at least 5 reps.

I agree. overall.

But the deadlifts are just absolute hell for me lately. I just can not get my head around it. I look at the bar and it's not fear exactly. It's just distaste. I dunno if ti's because my knees hurt like hell, or If i'm just trying to avoid the absolute almost crippling nausea that happens afterwards. I know that it means that it's working, but being nauseous just absolutely kills the rest of my workout and my desire to do anything else.

maybe if I did them at the end of the workout?

That bar is just my fucking enemy at the moment.

So is my left knee.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Deadlifts are best served as the final course.

• Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah. I always save the deadlift for last.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    Que?

• Options
    It just occurred to me that I haven't done my deadlifts last for about 6 months.

• Options
    You should remedy that

• Options
    been doing rows and pullups after, I guess because I wanted to get the most important thing done first

• Options
    I always dead after squats. Find it hard to dead first as i need to be proper warmed up to get the most out of them. Can't do them last though as i need the energy and also i never know how long they're going to take (usually have a deadline to finish by).

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    I did squats for the first time since my right knee tore out of it's knee-hole.

They weren't particularly impressive; 2x5 160, but still. I was focusing on form rather than weight, because I didn't want to tear my knees out again.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    I always dead after squats. Find it hard to dead first as i need to be proper warmed up to get the most out of them. Can't do them last though as i need the energy and also i never know how long they're going to take (usually have a deadline to finish by).

Oh is that so???

• Options
    Yeah. Top secret training protocol.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Babies. Deadlift first, for it is the best and most holy of lifts.

Or at least the one I like best.

This discussion has been closed.