As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tenra Bansho Zero] The Bloody Path of the Bride - Recruiting!

simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a differencetoday, a differenceRegistered User regular
edited June 2013 in Critical Failures
0qGlAzz.jpg

PRESENTS

iKeka7v.jpg

In a small corner of the world of Tenra, the Anegakoji and the Katakura have been at war for decades. The war has cost the lives of countless men, destroyed rice fields, and brought no satisfaction to either side, only pain and suffering. The war has taken the life of Lord Anegakoji's son and heir. The war must end.

Lord Anegakoji is convinced of this, so much so that he has decided to sacrifice one of his most precious treasures - a kugutsu, a doll given life, and the epitomy of art in the world of Tenra. By sending this priceless treasure to be married to the young lord of the Katakura, Lord Kojuurou. Through this gift and gesture of good will, Lord Anegakoji hopes that the heart of his enemy will be softened, and that this bloody war will be brought to a final conclusion.

But there are always those who would wish to see the war go on. Neighbouring kingdoms fear a possible alliance between the two powerful nations. Bandits, vultures upon the dead and dying, are not so eager to see the realms exit chaos. Samurai and soldiers who have given their lives to hate cannot so easily let go of their swords. Even the Shinto Priesthood, inscrutable and hidden, have their own reasons to oppose the coming peace.

This will be a bloody bridal path.

- - - - - - - -

両方の勝利者
ryouhou no shourisha
そして征服されるある
soshite seifuku sareru aru
しかし露の低下、
shikashi tsuyu no teika,
しかし稲妻 従って
shikashi inazuma shitagatte
もし私達が世界を見れば
moshi watashitachi ga sekai o mireba

both the victor
and the vanquished are
but drops of dew,
but bolts of lightning -
thus should we view the world

- - - - - - - -

WHAT IS THIS

Tenra Bansho Zero is a role-playing game made in Japan and recently translated and released in English. It is set in a hyper-fantasy Japan, where magic and technology are intertwined, where giant armours piloted by unsullied children fight against spirit-empowered samurai warriors; where the war between the Southern and Northern Courts of the Shinto Priesthood is fought through endless manipulation and proxy; where onmyoujutsu summoners conjure spirits and annelidists learn the secrets of implanting insects in their own bodies.

It is a pretty great game!

The game itself is built as a narrative-first experience, with experience essentially being awarded through doing awesome things in-character, and for going along with suggestions that the GM might make. Checks for skills and attacks are all done through rolling d6s equal to the relevant stat and counting successes with the relevant skill.

If you are interested in the game, I highly recommend picking it up at any of your favourite roleplaying game retailers - the PDF is a scant $14 for around eight hundred pages of rules, art and really well-done setting material that gives you a wealth of adventures in the world of Tenra.

So with that in mind, let's cover what I'm looking for here!

WHAT'S THE SCENARIO

The players are the honour guard of the kugutsu being sent to wed Lord Kojuurou, and possibly the kugutsu themselves. They're being sent to make sure the bride arrives, and that the peace is secured between the two clans, so they're going to be well-regarded by the Lord. While Lord Anegakoji does not know of any specific trouble that might befall them, he is not going to send his most priceless treasure unprotected into what is still enemy territory.

The scenario has a lot of pre-written elements (many Tenra games do) including some setpieces, though there are plenty of opportunities for real player agency, do not worry.

If you're looking for a basic idea for a character, here's a few suggestions:
  • a retired general called to service by Lord Anegakoji
  • a shinobi bodyguard for the kugutsu
  • the kugutsu themself, in all their beauty and pricelessness
  • a mercenary who has proved his worth on the battlefield

I'm looking for four players, hopefully!

HOW ABOUT CHARACTER CREATION

Giving out the full details of character creation would be, unfortunately, essentially publishing the entire book for free online, so unlike with many of my other games, I can't do that. So there are two pathways you can go down if you want to play:

a) If you own the books, you can totally make your own character!
b) If you don't own the books, you can choose one of the pre-gen characters available on the Tenra website and re-tool it to be your own!

I gave an outline above for characters, but keep in mind that everyone is a known element within the Anegakoji clan's structure, and either trusted by the Lord Anegakoji himself, or well-regarded enough to be given such an important mission. No real room for outsiders, background-wise!

Pretty much anything is okay for this game, though I have a couple of notes on that:
  • armours, kongohki and kijin wouldn't really work with the outline, so avoid them - but if you're really adamant, we can work something out, I suppose.
  • Oni are neat, but using one in this scenario may be a little difficult.
  • as mentioned elsewhere, if someone wants to play the kugutsu at the heart of the mission, that would be super fantastico.
  • try not to get too attached to history and such for your dude during mechanical creation, as we'll work on that together both pre-game and in the Zero Act to figure some stuff out.

I HEARD THIS GAME HAS SOME FUNNY MECHANICS

The game is pretty solidly set in the structure of Japanese theatre, and has a heavier-set act/scene/intermission structure than a lot of role-playing games people are used to. These elements are all pretty important to the game, though, and should hopefully translate pretty easily! If you have any specific questions, though, please ask them so we can get shit in order.

Aiki, for one, will be something we can easily deal with - just declare OOC that you're giving someone an Aiki chit for something awesome they wrote in-character.

Here's a solid rules reference that contains pretty much every mechanical thing you need to know about the game, and a cheat sheet as well!

ANYTHING ELSE

If you want to make a character - either an original, or based off a pre-made - register your interest in the thread! I'll be accepting characters until I'm not anymore, maybe if there's enough interest I'll have to choose the cream of the crop.

I hope to explore this Tenra with you soon!

- - - - - - - -

うたゝ寐の
utatane no
うたゝ苦しき
utata kurushiki
夢さめて
yume samete
汗ふき居れば
ase fuki oreba
薔薇の花散る
bara no hana chiru

wakened by pain
from a dream of pain
I wipe the sweat
and rose petals
scatter

simonwolf on

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Second post reserved for future things, hopefully!

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Perhaps I should have stuck with The Sheryl Crow RPG.

• Options
    Andy KAndy K Pastor of Muppets Cary NCRegistered User regular
    Um... I'll just say that this is a brilliant write-up! Hope you are able to recruit for it! (I'm too busy packing and shipping them to join, unfortunately!)

I'd definitely suggest just going with the full-made characters in the book. I've run the game over a hundred times, and with very few exceptions I stick pretty much to those characters, with the small note that sometimes I change a few small things around.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I'm in!

Shinobi pls! :3

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I'd be interested if you don't mind dealing with a regular.

edit: I'll mull over a concept or look over the ones in the book as suggested.

Egos on
  • Options
    Awesome, I look forward to your characters!

For anyone else still reading, Andy K (the translator of Tenra who somehow manages to appear whenever the game is mentioned online) is absolutely right - the pre-made characters are all great and rarely need to be mechanically altered, just re-flavoured to your individual taste.

There's also a rules quick sheet that I'll put up later today that gives a summary of all the game's main mechanics, if that has you worried as well!

• Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Uhhhh I'll voice interest, but I should probably catch up with what's going on up there.

• Options
    Added a rules reference to the OP that tells you pretty much everything you need to know, mechanics-wise.

• Options
    AlfredRAlfredR I take weekends off from the internet Registered User regular
    You have my interest, Simon.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I've played a few games with some friends (GMing, that is), and I just got my books last week so I'd be interested in this as well.

Are you planning to start a new thread for the game itself and leave this as the general Tenra discussion thread? Otherwise I was considering doing a discussion thread writeup with a bit more detail and links and all that jazz (I just notied this thread, so you sort of beat me to to getting some Tenra going here!)

Probably going to be running another, longer, scenario session in a couple of weeks too, which I am super excited about now that I have my copies of the books. That and I have some pretty incredible plans for one of my regular D&D groups to drop them into Tenra sometime in the near future...

• Options
    This thread would likely become the game thread itself.

To be honest, I'm not sure Tenra has captured enough attention to be given its own thread! At the moment, any discussion of the game would be better suited for the General Roleplaying Discussion thread, or perhaps even throwing together a Japanese TRPG thread, instead of focusing on Tenra in particular - considering that we now have a bundle of Japanese games being translated and released, an OP for that could actually contain a fair amount of information and topics for discussion.

• Options
    oh god saving this thread from oblivion with some content

I think part of the reason people might be wary about joining this is because they don't have the rules, and therefore think they can't make a character. Nothing could be further from the truth (though you should totally get the book, it's great)!

The character sheets and the rules reference linked in the OP contain everything you'll need to know in order to play the game. All you have to do (after reading and choosing a sheet) is post in here with:

- the sheet you've chosen
    - an elevator pitch for your concept
    - maybe a name and some other details

The sheets are designed to be super open to interpretation, so you can pretty much attach whatever you want to them in terms of flavour! One interpretation of the samurai sheet might be a young and headstrong warrior, eager to make his name in the annals of history; another might be a veteran of many campaigns, perhaps seeking a quieter life (as quiet a life as a gem-studded, shiki spirit empowered warrior can have, anyway)

If you have any questions, please go ahead and ask them!

• Options
    ok so I have two main concepts: an onmoyji and a samurai

Onmoyji Concept

The Hidden Renegade

The onmoyji's goals are a bit of a mystery to those outside of Lord Anegakoji. His methods differ from those of many traditionalists and even stranger he has readily pledge his loyalty to the Lord which has cause some to suspect the motives of this individual, perhaps rightfully so. Unlike other onmoyji who get trapped in intellectual pursuits , this onmoyji has found his abilities better suited for material gain. Not much is known about the man's past, he had served in several battles and used rather extreme tactics to lower the morale of the enemy forces. After a few battle he had gained a reputation as a master of fear. It is believed that he is naturally talented in the ways of shiki summoning as opposed to being classically trained yet his station and etiquette seems to suggest some form of education. He is an enigmatic figure who keeps his distance from most except those who demand his attention. He is well aware that his skills are in need and sees no need to go through the motions when he has no need to . Though if he can ferret out weasels and gain even more points with the lord, he isn't against that. So putting on a false face every now and then can work. But for the most part he likes to remain enigmatic, so people do not know what to expect of him.

Samurai Concept

The Fallen Son

The samurai started out as part of the “samurai class” but essentially gave that up in a foolish attempt at altruism. One of a few warriors willing to help a village besieged by bandits, one of the few options given to save the lives of many was for him to under-go the “samurai surgery”. He under the impression he would be getting a majestic beast infused with him but instead wound up with a demon. When he questioned the practitioner, he was told the result was intended. While untransformed he had looked rather elegant, relatively speaking. Transformed he looked quite literally like a dark skinned demon with red eyes. Which was quite horrifying to behold.

He had managed to kill the bandits. But to those in his family he had become a joke. A man who had wasted his position in life for a bunch of commoners and for nothing glorious either. He hadn't been given what he was promised and sadly altruistic deeds weren't rewarded nearly as much as one would hope. The samurai was of little use to his own family at this point, he could no longer spread their name. He was only good as a boogeyman for them peddle around.

• Options
    so those are just basic ideas as opposed to fully fleshed out ones . The samurai was meant as a bit of Kurosawa subversion. Basically

samurai- well intentioned act turns one into semi-demonic (glorious in an ironic way?) figure
    onmoyji- fear tactic potentially aggro favoring manipulative zealot type

cal_42_event_85814.jpg32-62.jpgekqiQ.jpg
    708271_19d4a78bce31c1273a5d8d4df9fb5136.jpg_512ruserious.jpgbasilisk-tenzen.jpg

• Options
    They both look pretty good! I'm going to say that I like the onmyouji more, though, purely because I want to see some random shiki summons using the shiki generation table.

• Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    oh no, this is super tempting me to buy this game

• Options
    It's super fantastico, the best RPG of the year (until Ryuutama is released, maybe why not)

• Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    oh alright, I guess I'll join your band

tell me about the Ninjas

• Options
    i guess i should pay money for this too

• Options
    the kickstarter for that is coming up sometime soon-ish, maybe, right?

personally wishing re:more traditionalish sorts of rpgs, meikyuu kingdom gets picked up some time in the future, hopefully

• Options
    Zandracon wrote: »
    the kickstarter for that is coming up sometime soon-ish, maybe, right?

personally wishing re:more traditionalish sorts of rpgs, meikyuu kingdom gets picked up some time in the future, hopefully

Ryuutama is scheduled for August

As far as I am aware nobody has officially licensed Meikyuu, though I know of several fan-translations that are in various states of non-progress
    oh alright, I guess I'll join your band

tell me about the Ninjas

Members of ninja clans are kickin' rad, that's what they are! Ninjas who have advanced far enough in the clan are transformed into Shinobi via a special surgery that implants crushed soul gems in their bodies so they can use the ninja arts without draining their own energy as much, though it comes at the cost of complete infertility.

Ninja, regardless of rank, are also completely owned by the clan for their entire lives - they are property, tools to be used to complete a job and nothing more.

When you make a ninja (or choose the pre-gen) you gain access to a ninja School - I think the default is the School of Dream, but they all have different abilities and bonuses that they grant to their practitioners.

• Options
    okay, so let me take a look at this large manuscript, digest it a little bit, and tomorrow i shall get back to you with a Shinobi of some kind

• Options
    Really all you'll need to read is the ninja section of the world book, the ninja section of the rules book, and if you're making your own dude, the archetypes section to figure out what you want. Also the mechanics stuff, though that's covered in the rules overview I porsted

• Options
    time to dive into random image repositories to figure out a character concept~

• Options
    KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    Tentative interest in playing the Kugutsu. I will have an more solid concept up in a few hours.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    @simonwolf I may be wrong but isn't it possible to buy the PDFs now? I don't think they are particularly expensive, either. EDIT: Yes, here they are. $14 though so not as cheap as I was thinking, but still not so bad considering it's both books!

As for playing? I'm mostly interested in the Kugutsu, but honestly I just love Tenra so much I'll play whatever, really, and I can come up with an idea pretty quick once we have three others who have settled on something.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    Oh hey, I thought I linked the purchase link in the OP, but apparently I didn't! What an age we live in

If we end up with more than four people I'll have to choose a group, though I could work with five as well - we'll see what happens.

• Options
    I should make a note to anyone who's going to piece together their own character via archetypes to let me know if they have any queries about the process

Some things can be easily fiddled with, others not so much, we'll figure it out somehow

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I totally want in, but i don't have a character concept in mind yet... But i am down with this. More info as i read the rules. :P

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Okay, After reading the archetypes, i'm torn between two concepts.

A) A Tactician Weapon-collector. A man torn between his hatred of war, his skills in managing war and his obsession with the implements of war. He goes with the Bride and her protectors because he deeply wishes for peace to finally come... And because he knows he'll find good pieces for his collection throughout the journey.

B) An Annelidist court-doctor (Annelidist, Doctor and Court Servant Archetypes). A Healer, first and foremost, but not a defenseless one. He's sent with the bodyguards to make sure they make it out alive, because dead bodyguards can't guard the Bride.

This would be my first game, and I have pretty much only read the character creation chapter and the archetypes so I'm not sure if they'd be tricky characters to play mechanically... Any thoughts? If one of them (or both) is newbie unfriendly , it'll make my choice easier... There's loads of ideas in that book. :)

• Options
    The game is pretty friendly to anyone, new or not, after the initial doldrums you can expect from starting to play any new RPG. That said, the Annelidist would arguably be more complicated, what with all the Annelids, but not so much that I would try and dissuade you from them. Might be an idea to check out their specific section in the world and rule books.

I kind of dig the first dude, though!

• Options
    Whee, bought the book and oh wow annelidists kinda freak me out. Skimming through all this stuff is pretty neat. Wish there were bookmarks for this PDF or something though.

• Options
    Yeah, i think I might stick with the Peace-seeking weapon collector. I'll call him... Magpie Heizaemon.

(Magpies are the birds that steal shiny things, right? i'm not thinking of the wrong bird, i hope.)

Also after making a preliminary character sheet... He looks fun. and interesting! :D

• Options
    Zandracon wrote: »
    Whee, bought the book and oh wow annelidists kinda freak me out. Skimming through all this stuff is pretty neat. Wish there were bookmarks for this PDF or something though.

Annelidists are body horror at its finest, they're pretty kicking-rad.

Bookmarks are something that I'm surprised didn't make the final PDF. I've added my own, but that doesn't really help anyone other than myself. It's pretty handy, though!
    Yeah, i think I might stick with the Peace-seeking weapon collector. I'll call him... Magpie Heizaemon.

(Magpies are the birds that steal shiny things, right? i'm not thinking of the wrong bird, i hope.)

Also after making a preliminary character sheet... He looks fun. and interesting! :D

Tenra is pretty good at making interesting character concepts out of a few archetypes being combined!

If magpies aren't supposed to be associated with stealing shiny things, then somebody should probably call Rossini and tell him that he made a big mistake.

As a sidenote, the Japanese for magpie is either onaga (尾長, which is the azure-winged magpie) or kasasagi (鵲, for the European magpie), in case you wanted to incorporate that somehow.

• Options
    Okay, well, this character might not be particularly fearsome, mechanically speaking, but he is interesting and that's what really counts, right?

So here's my character sheet in a format I hope isn't too terrible.
    Name: Magpie Heizaemon

Concept: A man torn between his hatred of War and his love for weapons.
    Archetypes: Weapon Collector, Tactician, Court Servant
    Karma Cost: 64
    Attribute Cost: 5

Vitality: 9/9

Soul: 16/16

Kiai:
    Current:
    Spent:

Fates:
    Goal: Collect Unique Weapons X X X O O
    Emotion: Hatred of War X X O O O
    Total Fate Cost: 10

Wounds:
    Light: [_] [_] [_] [_] [_]
    Heavy: [_] [_] [_]
    Critical: [_] [_]
    Dead: [_]

Weapons:
    Great Gemblade Katana: Damage +5, RoF 2, Ammo 6
    War Fan: Damage +2, RoF 1, Range 5m, Ammo 1
    Triple Comet Blade: Damage +3, RoF 3, Range 5m, Ammo 3
    Fey Spiked Tetsubo: Damage +7
    Double-ended Katana: Damage +6
    Divine Lotus (Gunpowder Chaingun): Damage +4, RoF 7, Range 30m, Ammo 14
    Tiger Kick (Soulgem Kongohki Foot-claws): Damage +4, RoF 5, Ammo 10
    Katana (Many, many katana): Damage +3

Possessions:
    25 Extra Soulgems (Court Servant)
    25 Extra Soulgems (5 karma)
    Brush, Ink bottle

Body: 5
    Unarmed Combat: X O O O O
    Wormcharm: O O O O O

Agility: 6
    Movement: X O O O O
    Melee Weapons: X X O O O
    Evasion: X O O O O
    Stealth: X O O O O
    Ninjutsu: O O O O O
    Criminal Arts: O O O O O

Senses: 5
    First aid: X O O O O
    Notice: X O O O O
    Marksman: X O O O O
    Pursuit / Hunt: X O O O O
    Forgery: O O O O O

Knowledge: 4
    Information: X X X O O
    Onmyojutsu: O O O O O

Spirit: 4
    Willpower: X O O O O
    Resonance: O O O O O
    Interface: O O O O O
    Buddhist Magic: O O O O O

Empathy: 5
    Persuasion: X O O O O
    Pillow Arts: X O O O O
    Perform: O O O O O

Station: 6
    Strategy: X X X X O
    Etiquette: X X X O O
    Shinto: O O O O O
    Art of Rule: X X X O O

Appearance: A bulky man with well tanned skin and dark hair. Often seen carrying a wooden rack to hold whatever part of his collection he’s bringing with him.

Background: Trained since childhood in the Art of War, Magpie Heizaemon quickly rose to the position of Tactician though his clever strategies that avoided undue loss of life. Heizaemon may be a brilliant tactician, but he despises war, which is what drives him to fight for peace, but never through unethical means. He earned his nickname of Magpie due to his obsession, a growing collection of rare and powerful weapons, mostly scavenged from successful battles. The truth is, he has an admiration for those weapons born of wars that become legend, and by ending those legends, he can bring peace, or so he tells himself. Not particularly skilled in straight combat, he relies on his unpredictable nature, strategic knowledge and wide arsenal to win fights. He is not willing to put anyone to death, even in self-defense. At ease both in the court and with his men, he is usually polite, but when he talks about his weapons with men at arms, he is known to become exceedingly casual.

I might change the weapons a bit once i read the chapter on weapons, so this isn't final final. The background is a bit rough, so tell me what you guys think. :D

• Options
    Quick note before I think of anything else, 21st - the attribute penalty actually comes out of your stats, not as a karma cost!

• Options
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Quick note before I think of anything else, 21st - the attribute penalty actually comes out of your stats, not as a karma cost!

I know, I took 25 extra soulgems for 5 karma, which is why I'm starting with higher karma.

• Options
    This is what I get for attempting to proof-check things while distracted

A sign of the quality GMing to come, folks!

• Options
    Okay, so I want to personalize my weapons a bit...

I should keep roughly the same karma cost and have the same number of weapons in my collection (because each weapon = 1 attribute penalty)...

Could I reduce the number of weapons (To, say, 3 or 4 instead of 5) seeing how we're going to travel a lot. It could be rationalized as Heizaemon only bringing a small portion of his collection so that he won't lose it all if things go sour. That could give me 1 or 2 more attribute points so i could use the weapons better in combat.

What do you think, Simon? it's up to you whether I bring 7 weapons (Not counting the thousands of Katanas :P) or a bit fewer.

• Options
    Hmm! Sure, why not, that math probably doesn't add up quite right, but it's good enough. Take one out, but make sure it's the correct one.