As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

forum or browser bug? Word wrap problem.

Hi,

When the browser window width is within one pixel of forcing a word to be placed on the next line, sometimes the last line in a sentence gets repeated. I can duplicate this at will, with any post. Just very slowly change the browser width and then scroll up and down through a thread. Odds are that one of the sentences will have a repeated word at the end and beginning of a line. Change the browser width by even one or two pixels and the word wrap problem goes away. I am using the latest and fully patched msie and windows 7 pro 64 bit. It looks like there is a boundary issue where the word wrap decision uses greater than and less than, instead of greater than equal and less than, so when the number of characters fits EXACTLY on a line, it duplicates the last word as the first word on the next line.

• Options
    IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    If this bug exists anywhere, its in the renderer. AKA msie.

• Options
    eagleagl Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    It only happens on this forum. I use a variety of social media sites including at least 4 different kinds of forums, and this is the only one where words may get duplicated at the end of one line and the beginning of the next, if the browser window is sized at exactly the right size to force the word wrap function to move a word to a different line. My degree is in computer science with a solid background on programming and algorithms, and it *looks* like a classic boundary or "edge" logic error. I don't know why it is only these forums, but there it is.

eagl on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    IE versions past were plagued with bizarre layout bugs that only occur under specific conditions

Newer versions have eliminated many of them, but it sounds like this is just another one.

Edit: Okay, I got curious and I don't see it anywhere in IE10 nor can I force it to occur manually.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    eagleagl Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Ok. I can force it consistently on my win7 64 bit desktop, and can't get it to happen on my laptop. To make it happen in this or any other thread in these forums, all I have to do is slowly resize the browser window until a word gets bumped to the next lower line, and when that happens a word is duplicated on both lines. Strange.

eagl on