As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

3 new crazy-looking Namco games?

TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
I did a search for "namco" and "brave arms" and I didn't get anything... so I hope this is not an old topic around these parts.

Here's a scan of one of the games:
namco_ps3_brave_arms.jpg

2 more scans of 2 also-awesome-looking games here:
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/03/26/namco-bandai-hard-at-work-on-three-ps3-exclusives/

And from another place,
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=824596 says:
BRAVE ARMS
Brave Arms is a 3rd person adventure in which you seemingly have no ranged weapons, so you attack by getting in close and fighting at ultra-close range with context-sensitive attacks. You can see a "guide line" of your enemies' attacks that tells you what they're about to do and if you react with proper timing you can counter it by pressing the Juggle Button at the instant it would hit you. So it's about getting in close, then it becomes a context-sensitive fighter. It sounds quite similar to Cipher Complex, actually.

CHAIN LIM!T
CHAIN LIM!T uses the Target Link system, which is SORT of similar to QTE, but far more advanced. It looks like you use the two sticks; the left stick chooses areas you can interact with in the environment while the right chooses your action. In the middle shot of the first page, the guy is choosing "Bite" and the tape on his girl's pants. But he could choose to throw some other object or combine two other objects or whatever. Not exactly a linear QTE sort of thing. In the airplane engine thing, we're seeing three scenarios. One where it looks like he dodges a falling box that hits the guy holding his legs, one where he messes up and dies, and one where he selects "remove" while targeting his own belt to drop his pants along with the guy holding them. So theoretically, you can choose any option at any target point, giving you 20+ possible actions. So instead of simple QTE multiple choice, you can combine your options in creative ways.

SECOND
Second is an investigation/adventure game with multiple game modes. One is exploration, one is shooting, and one is selecting voice responses in realtime, which is very similar to Indigo Prophecy. The modes can happen on top of each other, so you can have gun shooting while choosing voice responses. So in the shooting scene they show, you can either blow the target away with your gun (by physically doing it, not selecting it as an option), or try and negotiate with him by selecting your dialogue. You can always change the camera with the right stick, and the options/voice commands change based on what you're facing.

TM2 Rampage on

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Brave Arms sounds awesome, but I have no idea what's going on in those screenshots. :D

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited March 2007
    buuuut... Namco Bandai. :(

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Are these for the 360 or PS3?

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What the hell? So these aren't scans, and it isn't clear whether these are screenshots or renders. And these might not even be real games?

O_o

Still, they look pretty neat. Whatever they turn out to be.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Those shots are basically concept art of what they want the game to look like.

I've heard they're supposed to be arcade games made using cell. (from the neogaf boards)

JJ on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I really think every shot there is prerendered.

bruin on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Update 1: The caution was justified, it seems. Our Japanese translation slave brings up the following points:

* These likely aren't scans at all -- they're either mock-ups or leaked page template files.
    * There is no confirmation that these are PS3 games or even games at all! Team Aces is behind the wheel, however, and they recently made Ace Combat 6 an Xbox 360 exclusive...
    * If Cellius is involved, it is not evidenced here.

While this new information doesn't rule out the possibility of these being PS3 exclusives anyway (the internets would certainly like to believe so), it would be wiser to take a step back and merely view these as new-gen game concepts.

Though the stunning screenshots of Brave Arms, Chain Lim!t and Second Season 01 could represent target renders or similar technical tomfoolery, the abundance of guns, explosions and atmospheric lighting conveys quite a bit of excitement nonetheless. Take in the full scans images after the break.

Rook on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ....Am I the only one who thought they were making a game with MGS4-style Raiden?

yalborap on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Needs more Klonoa.

:(

Glal on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Looks hot.

I love these super powered crazy kind of games.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!