As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

S.T.A.L.K.E.R problem

mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm running stalker on a 9800 pro, 1 gig of ram, and AMD 64 bit 3000. It runs fine on medium settings or high with static lighting. However, some areas are screwed up. But ONLY certain areas. I could be running fine, doing my thing, then I turn this corner, and it drops to 1 fps. If I turn around and face where I came from, it goes back up to normal. As soon as I LOOK at those stairs, it screws up. I can run backwards through it and it doesn't screw up but as soon as something I am not meant to see comes on screen, it dumps to 1 fps. I have tried numerous drivers, and it isn't even affected by the settings I put it on. I could put it on minimum 800 by 600 and it'll still drop at these certain bits. Can anyone help? Thanks

mooshoepork on

• Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This thread title is extremely likely to be misinterpreted; I thought you meant somebody was stalking you.

I haven't seen anything directly addressing your problem, but this thread gives some performance tweaks you can do that might help you out. Given the nature of your problem I'm not sure it'll do anything, but it's probably worth a shot.

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I can't change it can I? Sorry I didn't think. I'll try that, thanks.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I haven't made a topic in a long time, but I think if you edit your first post you can change the topic title.

Smasher on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    A. Your rig is not nearly as powerful as the game would like, it requires enormous amounts of power.

B. The game was rushed and is fairly buggy - there is a patch out, but it doesnt fix everything.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    It runs every other area fine. My problem is contained within specific areas which are completely random. There is nothing about these areas that are harder to compute than other areas. I can walk outside and do whatever I want among the huge landscapes, but in certain other areas it screws up. I could be looking at a blank wall. It is also ALWAYS the same spots. It is as if it is trying to find textures but can't or is struggling to find some files.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think this is a shader problem. Radeon 9x00's are SM2.0 cards, and Shader Model 3.0 effects tend to bring them to their knees.

There's probably a setting somewhere that you can use to disable advanced pixel shaders, or set it to use only SM2.0 effects.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    "Radeon 9x00's are SM2.0 cards, and Shader Model 3.0 effects tend to bring them to their knees."

they can't even do them (it shouldn't be possible to enable SM3

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    It isn't. And even if it was why would these specific events be more demanding than others? In most cases they are LESS demanding.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    StephenB.2006StephenB.2006 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    There are 68 documented bugs in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and the patch is a band-aid on a bullet wound. I'm afraid the only real solution is going to be time as the dev guys release more patches.

StephenB.2006 on
    An object at rest cannot be stopped!
  • Options
    JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sounds similar to the infamous Half-Life 2 stuttering bug, which my 9600XT suffered from until it was replaced (Valve never managed to fix it). But then again, Stalker is a system hog and very buggy, even if it doesn't crash constantly.

JWFokker on