As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

An Adorable Giant Bomb Thread

MeldingMelding Registered User regular
Qz8SEO9.jpg

I also guess it's worth noting that Patrick broke the Xbox One DRM being changed story.

You can read about it here.

Let's talk about Giant Bomb.

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    video games aren't alright

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Or continue talking about HLM is dumb?

• Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I don't know if it was brought up before, but you that Robocop game Jeff was trying to remember if Alex reviewed? He was actually in the video Alex made for the game's review!
    (at around 4:40)

http://youtu.be/jNiLWNWBtmo

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • Options

i've been saying that for months.

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    In FTL when you beam your dudes on a ship and are doing pretty good then all of a sudden Bam your autofire blows the ship up with them still on it.

Man I am the Best Space Captian

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I don't use autofire because I totes need to focus my fire on their weapons systems before they rip my ship apart.

I've never bought a teleporter.

How do you get your dudes back to your ship?

• Options
    Karl wrote: »
    I don't use autofire because I totes need to focus my fire on their weapons systems before they rip my ship apart.

teleport them back.

It's useful for the flagship at the end. warp them to the different gun rooms, problem solved.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    There are different gun rooms?

Oh USS Defiant, you are so fucked

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    "DO THE JOB... DO THE JOB"

Jeff is a bad person

• Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    I've never seen the appeal of Hotline Miami, so I guess I win?

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular

I'd rather talk about how Recettear is great.

Because I'm playing that again and it's so wonderful and charming and happy and sweet and I really hate we had to talk about such horribly negative things while I was playing it so let's not do that anymore.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

I'd rather talk about how Recettear is great.

Because I'm playing that again and it's so wonderful and charming and happy and sweet and I really hate we had to talk about such horribly negative things while I was playing it so let's not do that anymore.

Sounds good!

Man, that's a good game. They really nailed the feel of selling, too. I mean, there's this whole dungeon delving half of the game that's also spectacular, but you can just sit in your shop, trying to build a combo, and it's still satisfying. Beat the game a few months back. Haven't done much postgame, lot of random chance seems to be involved and I've had a lot else to play, but the depth doesn't seem to decrease there.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Qz8SEO9.jpg

I know this look

I know this situation

I know this all too well

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    You like eating sweet things don't you?
    Hotline M&Ms

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    so I did an image search for adorable giantbomb

and uh

2276480-bradparadoxcolored.jpg

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    To counter that

2275760-daw.jpg

I think it's Gary Whitta's child.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    more like Xbox One... EIGHTY

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »

Killing the crew gives you more resources because the ship isn't destroyed. Having a boarding crew is essential for raising your chances for a successful run. You want to hire mantis as soon as possible and get an upgraded teleporter and just go to town.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    more like Xbox One... EIGHTY

Mmmm, Xbox Pi

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    PHIL FISH ‏@PHIL_FISH 1m
    so i hadn't given an interview in over a year. since the patch thing. yesterday i did an interview with polygon...

i didn't get asked about the patch. we didnt talk about it. the article comes out today, half of it is about the patch. a year+ old story.

so im gonna go back to not talking to the press. don't know what i was thinking.

games_journalism.txt

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    PHIL FISH ‏@PHIL_FISH 1m
    so i hadn't given an interview in over a year. since the patch thing. yesterday i did an interview with polygon...

i didn't get asked about the patch. we didnt talk about it. the article comes out today, half of it is about the patch. a year+ old story.

so im gonna go back to not talking to the press. don't know what i was thinking.

games_journalism.txt

Here is the article.

There is one paragraph about the patch.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    yeah he's being a baby.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    yeah he's being a baby.

Phil Fish?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Phil Fish won't say a lot about Fez 2, the sequel to his widely acclaimed debut game. But he's pretty clear about one thing: Where it won't be showing up.

When I asked him this week what platforms he's considering for the sequel, this is what he had to say:

"Not Xbox."

That shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who knows, or has been following along with Fish, Fez and its journey to the Xbox 360.

Shortly after the game's release in 2012, developer Polytron pushed a patch out to fix some bugs in the game. The patch, in turn, corrupted some save files. It was pulled by Microsoft. Faced with paying a second time for certification to fix the patch or just pushing it back up as is, Fish decided to leave it as is, saying that the recertification was too expensive.

"It's a shitty numbers game to be playing for sure," the developer wrote on his blog at the time, "but as a small independent, paying so much money for patches makes NO SENSE AT ALL." Polytron added that if Fez had been released on Valve's Steam service "the game would have been fixed two weeks after release, at no cost to us." In a follow-up tweet, Polytron wrote "HEY! only a few months left to our XBLA exclusivity!
    "

The relationship between Microsoft and Polytron never really recovered. And the Xbox One, so recently bathed in criticism about everything from the price to privacy concerns to its approach to used games, hasn't helped.

I asked Fish about his thoughts on the Xbox One earlier this week, hours before Microsoft announced their sudden policy change.

"I hope it's a joke," he told me in the email interview. "I hope Microsoft is pulling a New Coke on us, announcing a shit console nobody wants, only to eventually announce the Xbox Classic and winning back everybody's hearts. Microsoft is making a console for itself. Not for gamers. Not for developers. Just for its own, greedy little Orwellian self. I'm not interested."

After the news hit of Microsoft's flip on their online and used game policies, I emailed Fish to see if he had changed his mind.

"Nah," he wrote, "I don't think it changes much for me. They didn't change anything about their anti-indie policies."

On the other hand, Fish seems quite taken with the PlayStation 4.

"PS4 seems to be doing everything right," he wrote, when asked about the console. "It's too early to tell how everything is going to unfold but their heart definitely seems to be in the right place. Which is a weird thing to say when talking about giant monolithic corporation, but there's a handful of people working at Sony today who are really trying to do some good. And whether or not I would develop for it comes down to how the platform holder treats me. With Microsoft they've made it painfully clear they don't want my ilk on their platform. I can't even self-publish there. Whereas on PS4, I can. It's that simple. Microsoft won't let me develop for their console. But Sony will."

"ONE IS HAVING A BIG LOVE-IN ORGY AND THE OTHER IS DOING YET ANOTHER FUCKING MINECRAFT PORT."

At E3 last week, Microsoft spent little time discussing indie titles while Sony brought indie developers and their games into their booth, setting them up along side AAA titles for the PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita and PlayStation 4.

There is a stark difference between how the two companies approach indies, Fish said.

"One is having a big love-in orgy and the other is doing yet another fucking Minecraft port," he wrote.

The relationship both companies have with indies is becoming an important element of the lead up to launch. Ironically, this increased focus on indie developers and their games comes at a time when the very label may no longer serve a purpose, Fish said.

"I think it's starting to get more detrimental than anything else," he said of the value of identifying a game as an indie. "It served a purpose at some point, but I think we've outgrown the term. Games are games are games. I don't want people to judge my games based on team size or budget. That shouldn't matter to the player."

And this was the year that indies got their own E3 of sorts. Horizon, an indie-centric press conference put on during E3 by Venus Patrol and MOCAtv, was packed with news from indies, including Fez 2's announcement.

So what can Fish tell us now about his next game?

"It exists," he said, "and Rich Vreeland is doing the music. That's pretty much it."

Well, not exactly. When I ask him why he's making a sequel as opposed to an entirely new game, Fish had a bit more to say about Fez 2.

"It is an entirely new game!" he wrote. "FEZ 2 is to FEZ 1 what Zelda 2 was to Zelda 1, but more different.

"The biggest reason is that I just wanted to go back to that world. I want to expand on my little world and its mythology. It's not a case of wanting to recycle ideas we didn't get to put in FEZ I. Since the games are going to be so different, there's not a whole lot that could just carry over."

The bolded part is about the patch. A short summary for people who need context for his statements on the new xbox.

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    exist wrote: »
    I don't know if it was brought up before, but you that Robocop game Jeff was trying to remember if Alex reviewed? He was actually in the video Alex made for the game's review!
    (at around 4:40)

http://youtu.be/jNiLWNWBtmo

Here's the actual video review for the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvUVf-ELadI

2003 Alex is so tiny but 2003 Xbox Controller is so big.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    who teleports crew over to other ships in FTL

you buy a droid control room thing and launch invasion bots instead

way better strategy

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Holy fuck, Infamous Second Son looks gorgeous. The first one was the ugliest game I played on the PS3. Sucker Punch have really outdone themselves here.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    I love Phil Fish.

He's being a big whiner about that article.

STOP. SUCKING, Phil Fish!

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    who teleports crew over to other ships in FTL

you buy a droid control room thing and launch invasion bots instead

way better strategy

Man, teleporting over a squad full of murder bugs is the fuckin' shit

It turns the game into anti-Starship Troopers

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    PHIL FISH ‏@PHIL_FISH 19m
    i wish i lived in SF. i'd constantly be crashing giant bomb. that'd be the only press i'd ever do. brad muir style.

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    DO NOT DARE COMPARE YOURSELF TO BRAD MUIR

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    PHIL FISH ‏@PHIL_FISH 19m
    i wish i lived in SF. i'd constantly be crashing giant bomb. that'd be the only press i'd ever do. brad muir style.

Phew. Dodged that bullet.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I am actually really excited about videogames thanks to GiantBomb

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    I don't mind and even sometimes actually like Phil Fish

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Also man that floater looks good. I want a floater like that.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    phil fish is that annoying kid in recess who sometimes tells a funny joke and is actually very clever but often he's just throwing dodgeballs at the back of your head and laughing about it

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    My world was shaken when Brad Muir started talking about his struggles with depression in his latest little interview video.

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Phil Fish can be the :| to Brad Muir's :D

• Options
    that's John Drake!

This discussion has been closed.