As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yay, more babby! [Kids]

PeenPeen Registered User regular
edited September 2014 in Social Entropy++
Some of us have kids. These are mine:
0p1DCCyl.jpg
1fcyr29l.jpg

We should talk about our kids and parenting them and how to keep them from dying and how every conversation is like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtiJAexxSPo

Peen on

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    That is amazing.

Have a video of my squeaky 6-week-old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C9aojCYC2A

WD40?

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I was just about to make this so yay

My kid told my husband he loved him this morning and my husband said, "this is the best moment of my life"

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I successfully managed to put Anya down for a nap this morning. She napped for an hour, which is pretty good for her.

I'm glad I did, because she gets super cranky when she's tired, and my feet are too sore today to take one of our usual 2-hour walks.

• Options
    My toddler has decided that she, and everyone else, is a princess. She now refers to me as "Daddy princess" and my wife as "Mommy princess" and will only respond to Princess Sophie or Sophie Princess. Pet names are off the table.

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    The other day my son (he's 8) said this to my wife, and I quote "Would you please stop riding my ass woman".

On one hand, I was all you can't say that to your mom...on the other hand I was impressed because A) She was riding his ass, B) He said it at exactly the right time and at the right degree of loudness + exasperation as if an adult, and C) It was funny as hell.

Needless to say my wife did not find this nearly as amusing as I did. At least she accepted my hypothesis that my boy could have picked this up from any of the males on both sides of the family and it wasn't necessarily my fault.

Hunter on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    I've somehow become the extra mom to three of my partner's kids.

I think it's awesome.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Me and my kids.

My son will be 3 on Monday and my daughter turned 1 in May.

Love 'em to death... 'cept when they don't listen.

Spoilered for hyoog:
    20130614_070007.jpg

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    SeñorAmor wrote: »

I'm trying to work around this with my daughter (coming up on 3) currently. She's generally a really good kid except when it comes to nap time (she won't), but that means that by the end of the day she is just exhausted. Apparently listening skills go into sharp decline at that point, because bedtime just becomes an ordeal. Every day we have always brushed our teeth and then read a story or two...but every night it's always "let's read the story first, dad!" "I don't want to brush my teeth", "this ISNT the way we always do this", "I'm running away from you!".

I'm trying to introduce a "listen to mommy and daddy or you don't get a story, and if you listen really well you get TWO stories" thing, which is having mixed success. Some days she's an angel entirely so she can get two stories (which is sweet). Other days she she's just too tired and refuses to listen entirely. And on those days there are no stories, and also whining about "I'm sorry can I please please have a story", and sometimes tears.

Oh well, if nothing else we've seen a sharp decline in hitting people and poking them in the eye, so that's a start...

El Skid on
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Gabe is having a tendency to put a bunch of toys and such in his mouth. He then yells at Charlie, who is 1/6 his age, for doing the same thing. Then we have to remind him that he is not Charlie's parent, and is not allowed to correct him, etc. etc.

Gabe's also taken to playing with Charlie's toys and then taking them/running when Charlie tries to play with them. I'm not sure WHY he is drawn to infant toys in the first place, really. It's a bit of a conundrum. I've never had this situation before, so I don't know how much is normal sibling interaction and how much is his Aspergers making him do stuff. It's a bit of a struggle trying to pin the causes and solutions down, but I love them and they're totally worth the effort.

ALSO, sometimes Charlie will go into Gabe's room and Gabe will read to him and it makes everything totally worth it.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Picdump!
    Here's Gabe and Charlie playing in the little kiddie pool on our deck.
    IMG_20130615_122753_591_zpsce0924be.jpg

Closest I may ever get to getting them to pose
    IMG_20130615_122448_872_zpsddeb5ecd.jpg

Charlie's Thriller/Superman sleep pose
    IMG_20130615_062759_728_zps5471f43e.jpg

And here's the poor guy after we got him back from his tear duct surgery procedure dealie. (With lovely wife included in the shot!)
    FB_IMG_13716465043073888_zps51cdf9a4.jpg

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    El Skid wrote: »
    SeñorAmor wrote: »

I'm trying to work around this with my daughter (coming up on 3) currently. She's generally a really good kid except when it comes to nap time (she won't), but that means that by the end of the day she is just exhausted. Apparently listening skills go into sharp decline at that point, because bedtime just becomes an ordeal. Every day we have always brushed our teeth and then read a story or two...but every night it's always "let's read the story first, dad!" "I don't want to brush my teeth", "this ISNT the way we always do this", "I'm running away from you!".

I'm trying to introduce a "listen to mommy and daddy or you don't get a story, and if you listen really well you get TWO stories" thing, which is having mixed success. Some days she's an angel entirely so she can get two stories (which is sweet). Other days she she's just too tired and refuses to listen entirely. And on those days there are no stories, and also whining about "I'm sorry can I please please have a story", and sometimes tears.

Oh well, if nothing else we've seen a sharp decline in hitting people and poking them in the eye, so that's a start...

You'll hear probably a billion different ways to combat this, so be sure to take any advice with a grain of salt. Some parents do the timeout thing; others spank. Personally, I do a little of both.

My son, who is just about 3, has his bouts of defiance. I think the trick is to stand your ground, and be consistent. Kids are masters at playing you. Give an inch and they'll take a mile and they know it. I may be a bit of a hardass due to the way I was raised and my lack of patience, but when my son starts to act up and stops listening, I pretty much do the same thing:

First, I ask him what happens when he doesn't listen to mommy or daddy. "I go in timeout," is usually the answer, and frequently enough for him to start behaving. Granted, that requires that he's been in timeout enough times previously to know the outcome of not listening.

If that doesn't work, I count to 3. Most of the time I get to two before he starts to behave.

If that doesn't work, then it's timeout. 3 minutes (one for each year) in bed. If he gets out, he gets carried back and a warning that if he gets out again, he gets a spanking.

I typically don't care if he actually gets out of his bed, so long as he doesn't leave his room. He's 3 and I gotta pick my battles.

When timeout is over, I ask him if he knows why he was put in timeout (and almost always he does), I remind him that he has to listen to mommy and daddy, give him a hug and kiss and we go back to playing.

• Options
    Interesting perspective, thanks!

We also do counting to 3 and timeouts, and have been for a while. Normally works pretty well just ending there, but the tiredness thing was definitely leading to a lot of time outs... plus she realized that if she gets a timeout she gets to essentially stay up longer, so she was hitting me on purpose to dodge bedtime. Not cool.

And thus my grand experiment with storytime was born...

• Options
    Anya photodump:
    AnyaBabywearingBunny.jpg

AnyaChair.jpg

AnyaKisses.jpg

AnyaStanding.jpg

AnyaWahWah.jpg

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I'm playing through Persona 4 Golden recently, and I stare at the screen and then stare at Jillian. I call my wife over. "Look. Look. Doesn't Chie look like Jillian in that pose?" My wife: "...yes. Yes she does."

• Options
    Anya's started walking recently and I love her little toddle-walks. She's getting more confident every day, but she still wobbles a fair bit when moving.

• Options
    HuxleyHuxley Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I like my kid [thread]

We've just started planning her 1st birthday party
    KTR03f4.jpg

which is pretty crazy to me.
    sR4Fsjn.jpg

That 11 months ago this little person was born not really alive
    yKythXe.jpg

and now, we cool. Feelin' it.
    DaunwUe.jpg

Huxley on
  • Options
    Congrats on the one year without baby exploding! Haha
    It still blows my mind that mine will be a year old tomorrow.
    I guess sleepless nights and running all over the place all the time have a way of making time pass without you knowing it.
    Seeing his face light up when I walk into the room is still the best thing.

He's got this habit of clapping when i come to get him from my in-laws' house. He will see me and do the big toothy grin and just start clapping.
    Best. Feeling.

• Options
    HuxleyHuxley Registered User regular
    Same to ya!

Maddie is full on into DADADADADADA to everybody. Everyone is dada right now. But it still gets me when I walk in the room and her eyes light up and she screams "DADADADA!"

How does anybody even point to a first word, especially putting it on a specific date? It seems like it's such a fluid transition, from noises, to making one of those noises mean something, to making it mean something specific.

Fun watching her figure it out, though. I think that's my favorite part of this first year. Watching her pick up a ball or something and put together that it goes somewhere, then exert her will to put it where it's suposed to go. It's like, "your brain is in there DOING things and that's neat."

• Options
    He's got this habit of clapping when i come to get him from my in-laws' house. He will see me and do the big toothy grin and just start clapping.
    Best. Feeling.

Picking up my kids from daycare and my son seeing me from across the room and screaming, "DADDY!" is the best part of my day. :)

• Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Same struggles here, 2.5 year old. It's painful at bedtime when she's exhausted. When she's not listening, we typically:

2nd time asking: It's time for X. You have a decision to make, you can do X, we can skip it, or Daddy can help you.
    I see you haven't made your decision yet, daddy's going to help you. "I DO IT"
    If you're going to do it, you're need to do it. Pause, start counting.
    No results? Yer getting picked up and we're going to do X.

If we get hit, it's straight up time for to take a rest in "Cozy Corner" (blankets pillows books/stuff animals in the corner of her room) She cries mildly everytime she has to go cause she knew what she did and feels bad. She pretty much cries everytime she hits someone (ONLY ME WTF).
    Then it's a sorry, give kiss/hug, and show me gentle hands, we only use gentle hands).

Grain of salt and all that. But this seems to work for us pretty well, other than me being the target of baby slaps when she's tired or cranky.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I'm just going to use this thread for my work stories.

Today my student had an accident during nap and when I gave her the last pair of extra pants in her bag she frowned and refused and finally said, "I'm allergic to those pants."

Those are your pants and you are not allergic to them.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Fair enough.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    You can't decide she's not allergic. That's between her and god

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    All I can think of when I see this thread title

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fbWiDpjWGI

• Options
    Today my kid pushed his little cousin and she fell down and I got mad at him and he cried harder than she did

I am not sure whether that means he was sorry and learned something or just that he was upset that mommy was mad

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    Today my kid pushed his little cousin and she fell down and I got mad at him and he cried harder than she did

I am not sure whether that means he was sorry and learned something or just that he was upset that mommy was mad

Yes and yes.

He's just made the most important person in his world angry and he just committed a terrible crime; he has a limited frame of reference for how severe his crimes were and he thinks it's all going to be met with the worst punishment possible. Twice.

He'll get a grip on the degrees of right and wrong before you know it (or really want it) and he'll melt your heart before you know it (or really want it).

In an odd way, it reminds me of a 20th century parable about the early days of Communist China:

Two farmers were working the fields when one said to the other, "Neighbor Chan, wasn't the assembly for the conscription of soldiers into The People's Army at noon?"

To which the other replies, "Yes, Neighbor Lee, I believe it was. I think we might be considered deserters if we don't show up ."

Lee thinks for a moment then asks, "Chan, what's the penalty for desertion?"

"I believe it's death by a firing squad, Lee."

"And the penalty for being late to the assembly?"

"Again, I believe it is death by firing squad."

"Well, Neighbor Chan, I think we are late."

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Picture dump time! Here are my boys. Aiden is 3 1/2 and Shawn is 7 months.

Here's Aiden riding a turtle at the Camden Aquarium.
    zusa.jpg

And here's Shawn after the hippo came right up to the glass.
    eokf.jpg

The other night, my wife was folding the laundry and Aiden decided he wanted to wear my cloths.
    9r1.jpg

Here's Shawn in his sweet safari hat.
    lr1z.jpg

I don't think this needs an explanation.
    And here's the three of us back on St. Patty's Day.
    kz5n.jpg

4xs.png

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    Charlie's first birthday party went rather well!
    The big inflatable slide was a hit. Moreso with ALL of the fathers than the kids, but oh well.
    We had 2 or 3 kids who decided to play on the slide (Gabe included) before the adults decided they wanted to play also. It had a mister on the top and was cool and delightful, and also we did stupid flips and things and it was great to feel like a kid again. Gabe was terrified of the slide at first and after much convincing and "no, you'll love it! i promise!" he eventually put his fears aside and had a blast.

• Options
    Anya is walkin' up a storm now! She's really preferring it to crawling.

• Options
    What's up, Charlie?

IMG_20130625_063844_571_zpsbb15aed7.jpg

Nothin' much. Just chillin.

• Options
  • Options
    Last night I went to give Gabe a bath.
    I get up to grab some PJs for him, and by the time I get back, Charlie has apparently crawled into the bathroom, and inserted himself into the bathtub with his brother. Clothes on and everything. He is sitting there giggling and splashing.

I... I didn't know he could crawl that fast.
    I need to be more careful.

• Options
    So we're trying to wean Anya this week. She often wakes up super early and just refuses to go back to sleep unless she gets some boob. She's not even feeding, and she tends to pull at Rachel's book and scratch her, and since she's not feeding that kinda means that she needs to wean. And to wean means that I have to put her to bed and try and get her back to sleep when she wakes.

The past couple nights have been rough. Monday night she woke up around 11:40 and just refused to sleep. Eventually Rachel managed to put her back to bed without the boob, though it took a while.

Last night she went to bed around 6:30, but unfortunately began waking up around 7:30 and just did not go back to sleep until 9. We tried just letting her sit in her crib and going in every 5-10 minutes to comfort her so she didn't think we abandoned her. She finally fell asleep right around 9, and impressively didn't wake up until around 5:30, which is almost unheard of for her to have such a long unbroken nap.

It's impressive to me how much sleep actually begets sleep. Yesterday, when she hadn't had much sleep the night before, she slept a half-hour and REFUSED to let me put her down for any longer. We're talking kicking, screaming, pushing, pulling, full on temper-tantrums even though she was clearly overtired and exhausted.

Today, she's let me put her down twice already, and has fallen asleep super quickly to boot. Granted, it was only for about 40 minutes earlier and who knows how long she'll sleep for now (She's been asleep for about 20 minutes, I'm hoping for an hour but not really counting on it).

Tl;dr babies are crazy.

• Options
    And she's been asleep for over an hour at this point! That's pretty damn good considering she's never slept by herself in her crib for this long before.

Progress? Perhaps!

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Progress, or lulling you into a false sense of security?

• Options
    Yeah, maybe that too.

• Options
    Yeah, hah, I remember when my kid slept in his bed

Those were the days

At least he sleeps better now

• Options
    We finally got my daughter's crib changed into a daybed, meaning she can now just climb on out whenever she wants to.

I was expecting horrible nights of waking up to find she's on the kitchen counter playing with knives, or downstairs watching tv, or maybe unlocked and opened the front door so she can go for a little walk.

Instead... she pretty much treats the bed as though it's a crib (which she never tried to climb out of).

I put her to bed this weekend and forgot to go get her favorite stuffed animal, and instead of just walking out and getting it (which I actually wouldn't have minded that much, realistically), she patiently stayed in her bed and called out to me to get it for her.

Kids are weird, sometimes even in a good way!

• Options
    We actually don't mind cosleeping at all, it's just that right now Anya tends to squirm around and wants boob when she cosleeps... Which means Rachel doesn't sleep because of the aforementioned grabbing and pinching.

• Options
    I feel your pain, we took our daughter's pacifier away a week and a half ago and nap time has been dicey at best. She's doing fine at night but getting her to sleep during the day has been nearly impossible.

This discussion has been closed.