As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yay, more babby! [Kids]

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    It is so, so hard to leave Miles.

He's started running to the window and trying to reach for me through it and it's minor heartbreak every time.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »

He's started running to the window and trying to reach for me through it and it's minor heartbreak every time.

That doesn't stop till around 6 or 7

I'll miss it when Isaac stops =(

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    We have a "men's day" on Friday when my son has a teacher's workshop day so I've taken the day off to hang out. There will be many video games played and art projects done, I'm super excited as it's been sort of a rough school year so far.

Fifth grade really seems to be the point where he's gotten mad about having to go to school and do homework and it's coming out as frustration and anger and being snippy with us as well. It'll be nice to have a day together.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    poor spool16. It's so hard being the older sibling sometimes.

(I say this as a younger sibling who made my big brother's life a living hell for eighteen years.)

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »

This changes as time passes, fortunately. As of right now, when I leave for work, our 4-year-old gives me a hug goodbye and then stands in the front door yelling "don't forget to do any work at work today, daddy" and "I love you" and "you're the best dad in the world" with ever-increasing volume as I walk to the bus stop. I enjoy it -- I suspect the other people on the street may think that 6:30 is a bit early for that sort of thing, but tough beans to them.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Tomorrow we take James over to the hospital at the ass-crack of dawn to get a dermoid cyst removed. It's not a major procedure, but since he's only 5 months old they have to put him under for it. Which is freaking my wife out. And my usual weapons that I use to calm people down, namely old-fashioneds and suffering bastards are going to limited by the breastfeeding.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    That is adorable.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Tomorrow we take James over to the hospital at the ass-crack of dawn to get a dermoid cyst removed. It's not a major procedure, but since he's only 5 months old they have to put him under for it. Which is freaking my wife out. And my usual weapons that I use to calm people down, namely old-fashioneds and suffering bastards are going to limited by the breastfeeding.

When Weston was 13 months old he had to get an EKG because the doctor was making sure nothing was wrong with his heart (he was fine, he just kept getting blue lips for reasons nobody knows and it eventually stopped happening).

An EKG requires you to remain still, so they gave Weston a sedative saying "it should take 5 minutes to take effect."

10 minutes later, Weston's still scurrying around. Doctor: "Okay, we'll give him an additional dose."

30 minutes later, Weston's still baby talking to the doctor and exploring the EKG room. Doctor: "Okay, hold him down."

Sedatives. They did nothing!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    double pooost

Moriveth on
  • Options
    So since modern Thomas has the live-action bits with the conductor guy, I've begun to think that the guy is actually totally insane and all the train stuff are just his hallucinations.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Leaving for work today was extra rough because I'm gone for roughly 40 hours (stupid business trip) and also my son was super cheery and playful this morning (since 4:30 am but that's another story) but then he fell asleep when I was packing the last of my stuff so I couldn't even really tell him goodbye. Not that he would have understood at 6 months old but I would have liked another cuddle.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Going to the aquarium today!!

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    Son got up at 6:30 today. Normally gets up 8-9. It was nice to see him before I go to work but I have a feeling the wife might like a break this evening. Special macaroon trip it is :).

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    So I learned that Joseph and Ash have moved in with his half-brother, Johnny, at his trailer home.

They seem to be comfortable enough, and Johnny has a dog or two that the kids can play with around the house or outside.

Unfortunately, Joseph mentioned, the doggie door is big enough for the two year old to fit through.

I got a laugh out of him when I recommended he duct tape the boy into a pool donut.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Speaking of suggestions, about four or five years ago when he had the twins (Who are currently being looked after by his mother and grandma) he mentioned that he was getting them a nice girls crib, but was sad that he couldn't have a boys one.

I told him to go get a boy's crib too. And when they ask about it you can tell them "this is where your brother used to sleep. until he disobeyed."

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    So I got a reminder this morning of how hopelessly easy it's going to be for my 17 month old daughter to manipulate me as she grows up.

When I was putting her in her car seat this morning so my wife could leave to drop her off and go to work, she started reaching out toward me, which usually means she wants to grab my beard or play a game where she shoves me away so i'll do a sort of peek a boo with her.

But instead when I leaned in she grabbed me on both sides of my head and just gave me a kiss right in the face and then hugged me and gave me that smile of hers. I thought my heart was going to melt completely.

• Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    So Liam (19 month-old) has an ear infection. Under doctor's orders we have him Tylenol and Benadryl. The Benadryl knocked him out pretty hard until about 3 AM at which point he proceeded to scream and bang on the wall. Ah the joys of parenthood.

Meanwhile mommy is living it up in Fiji for another week.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    so henry is Hawkeye for Halloween this year, and tastypastry made his costume, I think it looks pretty good
    nZYlI9w.jpg?1

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    He's getting so tall!

• Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    She wants another... <.< >.> x_x'

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Man I can't wait to get out of the newborn stage. Last night we were trying to get her to bed between 10pm and 3am, and were met with combinations of screaming because gas, screaming because hungry, and screaming because tired, and awake. Then she refused to do anything but sleep on a person. So last night was 4.5 hours in the recliner with a baby sleeping on me while my wife got some rest.

Oh my goodness, this can't end soon enough.

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Part of the morning routine is me putting my youngest in his crib while I get dressed, then getting the boys ready when I'm done. Friday morning I walk out of my room and see his pj pants thrown into the hallway. I walk into his room to see this.

J7t6zyH.jpg

I asked him what he was doing. "Shirt off, daddy. Shirt off. I help!"

Also, here are the newest additions to the family.
    rwK1ThU.jpg
    Peaches (left), and Pumpkin (right)

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    Entriech wrote: »
    So last night was 4.5 hours in the recliner with a baby sleeping on me

Lack of sleep is pretty grim, but I promise, there'll come a time when you'll miss having a baby sleep on you like that.

• Options
    OH GOD PIGGIES

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    OH GOD PIGGIES

My wife laughs every single time they oink. I'm not sure if that'll ever change. lol

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Sick infant spent more hours crying hysterically than sleeping last night. I'm a mess and my wife's a wreck.

So much for being well rested after a long weekend.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Funny how they seem to be capable of a few decibels louder than usual when it's 2 a.m.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    Went and got some pictures taken over the weekend. I'm never thrilled about getting my picture taken, but this was actually fairly painless and Ryan was all smiles throughout.

So many leaves and pumpkins for him to taste, of course he was happy.

The lady who did our pics posted a preview picture last night and I like it a lot. Pretty excited to see the rest.

Sorry for the Facebook repost quality of the pic
    IH7htnB.jpg

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I don't know if there's much more adorable than little boys in dress clothes. I don't think we're ever going to have a boy since our 2nd daughter on the way is probably our last baby, but if we ever do, please believe that kid is going to live in bowties, buttondowns, and little oxfords.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    I don't know if there's much more adorable than little boys in dress clothes. I don't think we're ever going to have a boy since our 2nd daughter on the way is probably our last baby, but if we ever do, please believe that kid is going to live in bowties, buttondowns, and little oxfords.

There's always baby pigs...

• Options
    Our kids at halloween this year; "a half crazy guy", and the Mad Hatter (Johnny Depp version):

6Shrtqx.jpg?1

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    The Hatter has a great expression.

They should mix up the usual "Trick or Treat" for something more thematic.

"How are Glen Close and your candy alike? Neither will get eaten."
    "What does your car and a hen house have in common? They both have egg on them."

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    little Adeline's birthday party today
    IMG_2607_zpscac8a9b1.jpg
    Before cake
    IMG_2673_zpseed31366.jpg
    During
    So hard to imagine she's already a year old. man.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    1 year old and 2 year old cake eating pics are always the best

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    Alright, parents, I got a question:
    Is it acceptable to change your kid's diapers on public transportation?

I'm asking for a friend who was trying to read a book about World War II and can hardly hold his beer steady for all of the shaking. He's. . . He's changed.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular

I'm asking for a friend who was trying to read a book about World War II and can hardly hold his beer steady for all of the shaking. He's. . . He's changed.

Yes. Like, if I'm on a bus or something and will be at my destination in a couple of minutes anyway then I will wait. But if I'm on a 4 hour train ride I will definitely change my son right there on the seat. (With a cover under him obviously and also I always reserve an extra seat for him even though he's just 6 months).

I also feel this has nothing to do with acceptable or not. If the diaper needs changing you don't have many options.

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Last year, we took our 5 month old daughter out trick or treating for a little bit since she never seemed afraid of anything, and not surprisingly she seemed to enjoy it quite a bit, as far as we could tell. Was hoping that maybe deep down she'd at least vaguely recall something like this going down when the next Halloween rolled around.

So I was pretty excited to take her out this year at 17 months since she's able to appreciate it all a lot more. The moment we left the house, it started raining, and she didn't seem all that enthused, but once it stopped raining so much, boy did she get hyped. Pretty quickly she started yelling TICK TEAT as people answered, sometimes thank you / happy haween. Then, clutching her pumpkin bucket in a veritable death grip, she'd go more! more! and as we're walking to the next house, "knock knock! knock knock knock! more!" We ended up going for faaaar longer than we intended because she was having so much fun.

So today (well, Nov 2nd) as it got dark, she was trying to talk me into going for a walk, which isn't unusual when we haven't been outside at the park or something that day. But it was raining, and already pretty dark out, so I suggested we just play a bit in the back yard, which she was pretty unhappy about, while I was getting my shoes and jacket on after dressing her. I didn't understand quite why until I turned back to her and saw her holding her pumpkin bucket with some toys in it (we've just kept it out all year to let her put toys in / wear as a hat) over her shoulder and saying knock knock.

She definitely really enjoyed herself, but man I felt sad having to explain it was a special day and we couldn't just knock on peoples' doors for candy just any day.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Such are life's harsh lessons :\

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular

It depends. I'm with Grobian, I think: regular bus or train ride, anything under an hour, hell no. You change them right before you leave and change them when you get there, there's rarely a situation where it's enormously critical to change a kid at that exact second. As with any other situation there are poop related extenuating circumstances that might negate what I just said but even then it's probably better to get off of the vehicle and seek a proper area for triage.

I think it's rude and unpleasant for the people around you to do that, but honestly my biggest problem with it is that babies are people and they're owed a teeny tiny amount of dignity. You should treat your kids with some basic decency and respect and there's no way that changing them on public transportation is going to allow for that.

• Options
    I consider it more of a blow to his dignity to let him sit in poop.

This discussion has been closed.