As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yay, more babby! [Kids]

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    I'm sure if she's 4 months pregnant, she's more just anxious about the baby being healthy, her doing the right things during pregnancy, etc. Especially if it's your first. I can't really relate because I was also worried about every little thing that could go wrong during my wife's pregnancies, but I did my best to just try to calm her, and discuss how relatively low the chances are that we were going to run into complications.

We had the blood test for gender + genetic abnormalities and it's in the lowest chance for everything. Her concern was for after the birth, that i won't have interest in the kid for some reason since I'm not a bundle of nerves about it.

Part of it is that i have a chronic condition, IBS, that sometimes flares up pretty badly and on general means my #2s take an hour many times. So she feels like I'll ignore parental responsibilities not because i want to but because I'll be stuck in the bathroom.

I see. It sounds like she's more concerned about you than the baby, and all you can do is make sure she knows you're going to be there to support her and the baby. Pregnancy and the time after comes with a lot of hormones and wild feelings for women, so she needs you to be understanding even when her feelings and thoughts are going wild.

You might do what @davidsdurions suggested or just something else to show your wife that you are excited about the baby, even if you're not as anxious as she is. Not all parents get that same level of anticipation. Though I wasn't one of them, it's normal for some moms and dads to not even form that bond with the baby even when s/he does arrive immediately. It takes time for some people, and showing excitement is a lot less important than showing a commitment to be there to help do all the dirty work that comes initially. Because frankly, while they're so adorable at times and it's amazing to have a new little addition, they're not a lot of fun for the first few months. It's mostly just a lot of work.

• Options
    Man, kids are weird and amazing. My 20 month old daughter is a little behind on speaking. I think she's perfectly normal, but she just hasn't really started talking as much as we would have expected by now. Mom, Dad, No, Yes, and the occasional calling out of stuff like dog, ball, etc. is all she'll do. I'm probably biased but I think she's a pretty clever kid. She does her little puzzles like a champ, communicates non verbally well, etc., she's just seemingly not interested in talking as much yet and I figure it'll come when she's ready. She's not interested at all in mimicking what we say the way our friends little boy who is a month younger than her is.

But yesterday, she spoke her first sentence and it just took me and my wife aback so much. I had tracked in a bit of snow from outside, this is the first snow we've had this year and new to her. She was really hesitant about getting close to the snow i had tracked in to the floor mat, so I picked up a little of it and showed it to her and started to explain it.

Then she just looked right at me with her inquisitive face, put up both hands and said "What is it?" It was so adorable. I was just expecting her usual non word babble and out it came.

• Options
    FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    On the upside, I was widely considered to be Father of the Millennium because I changed a damned diaper. Go go low paternal expectations, I guess.

I supported my wife buying a baby wearing wrap - according to some of her mommy group friends i should have a statue built in my honor.

• Options
    Man, I wore my first daughter in the baby bjorn proud as could be. I hated when she got too big for it because she loved riding in that thing and just looking around at everything from that vantage point. I look forward to putting the new girl in it. =)

• Options
    FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    Man, I wore my first daughter in the baby bjorn proud as could be. I hated when she got too big for it because she loved riding in that thing and just looking around at everything from that vantage point. I look forward to putting the new girl in it. =)

Some people are like passionately against it. I know that people's kids are their kids and all, but the things that inflame the passions sometimes seem so fucking arbitrary, like why would people be against baby wearing? Like REALLY against it?

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    FortyTwo wrote: »

Some people are like passionately against it. I know that people's kids are their kids and all, but the things that inflame the passions sometimes seem so fucking arbitrary, like why would people be against baby wearing? Like REALLY against it?

One of those people vehemently against having my daughter carried in one of those types of carries was my daughter. It didn't ever really work out. :pop:

davidsdurions on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Near as I can tell with anything like that, every parent has a ton of anxiety that basically boils down to "if I do something wrong with my baby, the baby will die." Therefore if you've picked a stance on parenting that works you have to defend it passionately because if someone does something you're not then their baby might die and you can't have that on your conscience.

Shit's weird yo.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    My son really liked being in the carrier when I would wear it while doing dips and squats.

My wife did not like it nearly as much.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    One thing I've learned about being a parent is it is pretty hard to fuck it up in general. Kids are made of rubber and very durable.

• Options
    When wearing my first daughter in the baby bjorn, I would always keep my hands under her in case the thing spontaneously failed and she would fall out. It was of course a silly fear, and I'm sure i'll be more comfortable with my new daughter, but I did do that.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    we wore henry in a bjorn, and laine has a wrap thing for eleanor until she gets big enough, and one of our "oh we're not in the south anymore I guess" moments was when she was at a grocery store with just the baby, and someone looked at her in the parking lot and said "that looks fucking weird" to her and walked off.

i was just like...what

Langly on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I have no idea why one would make that into their "thing".

The only thing I've read about baby carriers being a little bit negative is that the kind where the child's legs hang straight down is very hard on their hip joints. The ones that hold the legs up and out, like ergos and stuff, are much better. If you're using a wrap you just have to make sure their legs are properly supported.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Had the worst day post-adoption today. Everything has been going really well, she's settled in amazingly and we're all set to put in the legal paper work (adoption order) to officially make her part of the family.

However our social worker called us today and warned us it's looking highly likely the birth parents are going to contest this, it's the last time they can. They've recently had another baby, which was taken in to care at birth but now it looks like the recommendation is it's placed back with them. On the basis of this I think they're going to launch an appeal.

Devastated and terrified doesn't really cover it. Much as our social workers are trying to calm us down by telling us how unlikely it is the appeal will go their way it doesn't make us any less scared. Honestly, I couldn't stand to lose our daughter now.

(And thus I manage to bring down the entire of this happy thread, sorry!)

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    good luck, grinch. just remember that the court's priority is always the best interest of the child. whatever that's worth...

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I will be pulling for you, Grinch.

• Options
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Had the worst day post-adoption today. Everything has been going really well, she's settled in amazingly and we're all set to put in the legal paper work (adoption order) to officially make her part of the family.

However our social worker called us today and warned us it's looking highly likely the birth parents are going to contest this, it's the last time they can. They've recently had another baby, which was taken in to care at birth but now it looks like the recommendation is it's placed back with them. On the basis of this I think they're going to launch an appeal.

Devastated and terrified doesn't really cover it. Much as our social workers are trying to calm us down by telling us how unlikely it is the appeal will go their way it doesn't make us any less scared. Honestly, I couldn't stand to lose our daughter now.

(And thus I manage to bring down the entire of this happy thread, sorry!)

Keep fighting the good fight man. You are probably the best place for that girl to be - keep being that. That is all you can do.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Good luck - I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

• Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    My son really liked being in the carrier when I would wear it while doing dips and squats.

My wife did not like it nearly as much.

Of course your wife didn't like being squeezed into one of those tiny baby carriers, man!

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Our 9 month old son seems to be going through a phase where he will just not go to sleep for my wife. She'll have to spend up to 30 minutes getting him to go down. And when I do it, he's down in 5-10 minutes tops. She's tried to do the same things I do when I'm getting him to sleep but he just doesn't seem to like it when she does it. Anything else that might work? My wife is starting to get a little frustrated about it.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Make her a mask with your face on it?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Make her a mask with your face on it out of your face?

No half measures

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Our 9 month old son seems to be going through a phase where he will just not go to sleep for my wife. She'll have to spend up to 30 minutes getting him to go down. And when I do it, he's down in 5-10 minutes tops. She's tried to do the same things I do when I'm getting him to sleep but he just doesn't seem to like it when she does it. Anything else that might work? My wife is starting to get a little frustrated about it.

We had the same sort of thing. The way we "solved" it is to just have me take care of bed time for a while. My wife would go downstairs (or else she would call out as soon as she heard my wife moving around) and I would put her down.

I think what happened was that I was very no-nonsense about "it's bed time, no talking no more cuddling let's go", where my wife would give "one last cuddle" and listen to something our daughter had to say and sing her a song and.... Eventually she just expected that mommy's bedtime routine was half an hour long and daddy's was 30 seconds. I'm not sure what you can do with that scenario other than just do the daddy thing whenever possible, as trying to remake mommy's bedtime routine is a lot more trouble (and crying) then it's worth.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    El Skid wrote: »

We had the same sort of thing. The way we "solved" it is to just have me take care of bed time for a while. My wife would go downstairs (or else she would call out as soon as she heard my wife moving around) and I would put her down.

I think what happened was that I was very no-nonsense about "it's bed time, no talking no more cuddling let's go", where my wife would give "one last cuddle" and listen to something our daughter had to say and sing her a song and.... Eventually she just expected that mommy's bedtime routine was half an hour long and daddy's was 30 seconds. I'm not sure what you can do with that scenario other than just do the daddy thing whenever possible, as trying to remake mommy's bedtime routine is a lot more trouble (and crying) then it's worth.

This is the same as my situation except the roles are reversed. I often can't say no to my daughter, while my wife is very no-nonsense. So if she takes over, bedtime is done in 5 minutes or less. Now if only we could make that a regular thing.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    Oh man, bedtime issues are the worst. Taz has not let me put him to sleep since he was quite young - up until our recent attempt at night weaning he has always needed the breast to fall asleep, and if he wakes up he won't let me soothe him down either. Erica went out last night after putting him to sleep, and he woke up and was next to inconsolable for 45 minutes until she got home and could stick a nipple in his mouth.

We're following a lot of attachment parenting philosophies (co-sleeping, extended breastfeeding (although he's only 14 months so it's not super-extended at this point)) so I know some of this comes with the territory, but he just turns into a different kid when he wakes up like that and seems to require completely different strategies to calm him down. (It probably didn't help that he's been a bit sick)

I'm mostly venting, but advice is welcome. We're pretty much opposed to crying it out and really just want to be able to teach him to get himself to sleep with some comfort from us, and I'm sure it'll come in time, but with the twins arriving in less than 6 months we need, at the very least, for him to allow me to put him to sleep.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Ten wrote: »
    Oh man, bedtime issues are the worst. Taz has not let me put him to sleep since he was quite young - up until our recent attempt at night weaning he has always needed the breast to fall asleep, and if he wakes up he won't let me soothe him down either. Erica went out last night after putting him to sleep, and he woke up and was next to inconsolable for 45 minutes until she got home and could stick a nipple in his mouth.

We're following a lot of attachment parenting philosophies (co-sleeping, extended breastfeeding (although he's only 14 months so it's not super-extended at this point)) so I know some of this comes with the territory, but he just turns into a different kid when he wakes up like that and seems to require completely different strategies to calm him down. (It probably didn't help that he's been a bit sick)

I'm mostly venting, but advice is welcome. We're pretty much opposed to crying it out and really just want to be able to teach him to get himself to sleep with some comfort from us, and I'm sure it'll come in time, but with the twins arriving in less than 6 months we need, at the very least, for him to allow me to put him to sleep.

Have you tried putting Taz to sleep with the breast -> without the breast but full mommy cuddling -> mommy helping, and then slowly changing that to putting Taz to sleep with mommy right there, and then putting Taz to sleep with mommy nearby etc?

We sort of did that, except it was more our daughter wouldn't go to sleep without one of us cuddling her in the bed, so we went cuddling -> holding her hand -> Right there sitting beside the bed no touching-> Sitting by the door -> Just outside the door but could still see/hear us etc. etc.

El Skid on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    El skid is describing how it worked for us. Now if it's bed time Leah gets mad if we hang around her room for too long. Set her down and scamper out of there, is the routine now. Sometimes she "talks@ to herself for a few minutes, but I haven't had to go back in her room before 5am for a couple months now except once a couple weeks ago she required a very wet diaper change at midnight. I suspect she had a nightmare that night.

Speaking of nightmares. Pretty sure Leah had one in a nap a couple days ago. Just woke up screaming, shaking, looking around. Found me as I was holding her the entire time and just wailed into my chest for ten minutes. She was the happiest little baby the rest of the day though, so an interesting trade off there.

• Options
    El Skid wrote: »
    Ten wrote: »

Have you tried putting Taz to sleep with the breast -> without the breast but full mommy cuddling -> mommy helping, and then slowly changing that to putting Taz to sleep with mommy right there, and then putting Taz to sleep with mommy nearby etc?

We sort of did that, except it was more our daughter wouldn't go to sleep without one of us cuddling her in the bed, so we went cuddling -> holding her hand -> Right there sitting beside the bed no touching-> Sitting by the door -> Just outside the door but could still see/hear us etc. etc.

Yeah, that has been the plan - we've been trying to get him to sleep by feeding until he's sleepy and then just having him fall asleep with a cup of water (one of these, they are great: http://www.wowcup.com/), and that was working OK, but circumstances have meant we haven't been able to keep it consistent (which I know is a big part of the problem). We'll keep trying with that, but Erica will likely be attending a birth this week (she's training to be a doula) so that may mess with the progression again.

Anyway, like I said, I'm sure we will get there - last night was just especially bad with him waking while Erica was out, and then he woke at 6am this morning and wouldn't go back to sleep so we're all a bit tired and grumpy today.

• Options
    My 20 month old still breastfeeds, and she screams bloody murder if my wife won't breastfeed her to sleep. The problem now is that we have a 2 week old that needs to sleep too. Unfortunately, a couple times lately the 20 month old has woken up at night and gotten so furious that my wife couldn't give her the breast to go back to sleep due to feeding the new baby that my wife had to leave the room and we had to let the older one just scream for a few minutes and go back to sleep. She simply won't let me put her to sleep at all. We know she can go to sleep without it because she's stayed overnight with her grandmother/aunt a few times, but if my wife is there she simply will not go to sleep at night without the breast.

I think in May when she turns 2 we're going to just wean her from the breast because she has to stop eventually, but we just hate taking that comfort from her right now while she also adjusts to the new baby.

• Options
    That's exactly what I'm worried about @Joshmvii - Taz will likely be 20 months when the twins are born so we may have the exact same problem. You'll have to let me know how weaning turns out!

• Options
    For us weaning, at least with an older kid like you guys have, sucks ass for a week and then is cool. We started weaning my kids at about 21 months, one off a pacifier and one off of breastfeeding, and in both cases we did it cold turkey. Pacifier was pretty straightforward, we just stopped giving it to her and used intense distraction strategies until she stopped asking for it. She had a few rough nights but took it pretty well and hasn't looked back.

Weaning my other daughter was a little trickier, attachment to mom being a lot stronger of course, and we did it by establishing a whole new bedtime routine. If I took the kids upstairs and got them ready for bed and put the little one in bed she was totally cool. If she ever caught a glimpse of my wife then it was all over, she had to get nursed down. It's been more work for me but we used the Christmas break to really get it established and now she's almost 100% weaned. She's gotten sick a few times and when she's really upset and my wife feels bad she'll give her a breast to calm her down and get her to sleep but that's happened maybe 3 or 4 times.

Good luck!

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Last night on the video baby monitor.

"Please don't throw self out of crib"

10 seconds pass.

Throws self out of crib giggling like a madman.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Last night on the video baby monitor.

"Please don't throw self out of crib"

10 seconds pass.

Throws self out of crib giggling like a madman.

this reminds me of a couple weekends back, when me and Daniel were over at my parent's playing in the yard

one of his newest things is, when he's being told to do something that he doesn't want to do, to run away as fast as possible while giggling so hard he can barely breathe

so I'm told it's dinner, and let him know that we have to go back inside, so he of course runs off giggling through the rocks on the east side of my parent's property, looking back every few feet or so because it's twice as much fun if he sees that he's getting my goat

and the last time he looks back I suddenly realize he is way too close to the fence posts, and just as I bolt to go grab him, he turns around just in time to get bashed in the side of the head by the rapidly approaching post and thrown down on the rocks like an American Gladiator put him there

it was the first time I'd heard real crying out of him in months

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I admit. The first (and so far only) time my son ran into a glass wall I giggled for about five minutes after making sure he was fine.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    a certain amount of derision builds character!

• Options
    We weened at about 14-15 months. I was so ready to stop.

My son was NOT. IS STILL NOT. He still grabs at my shirt, tries to pull my nipple out of my bra, won't leave me alone when I sleep.

I finally started letting him in the morning because it would buy me an extra hour and a half of sleep... and then I started lactating again.

Nope fuck that, this dairy is closed for business. It's much easier to say no now.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    ceres wrote: »
    My son was NOT. IS STILL NOT. He still grabs at my shirt, tries to pull my nipple out of my bra, won't leave me alone when I sleep.

I'm 34 and I still behave like this.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Put my little guy down tonight since Mom had to go into the office today (normally works from home). First time without massive hours of screaming. Psyched!

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I can't believe our kids thread thread is all grown up!

• Options
    I'm legitimately happy that this thing has taken off, I was hoping when I started the first one that there were other parents around but it's worked out nicely that there's been a baby boom and people have come into the thread. Thanks ya'll!

• Options
    Yay! Morgan has an ear infection.

Both kids on antibiotics now.

Fortunately he's a trooper and we won't even know he's sick in an hour.

This discussion has been closed.