As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Your [Brain Problems] Are Writing Checks Your Body Can't Cash

UsagiUsagi NahRegistered User regular
This is a thread for people to air their brain-related problems and get support from other groovy folks. You don't have to be suffering from anything to post here, just be a supportive, awesome person.

Take the following into consideration before posting:

* People tend to treat the brain as magic or something. It's still a physical thing, and sometimes breaks down like any other part of the body. Don't think that your mental illness is some personal failing of yourself.

* Likewise, don't be ashamed to post here. Some people finding that talking it out can be very therapeutic. You aren't a bad person for having a cold or fever, so why would you be a bad person for having some brain thing?

* Self-diagnosis is silly. Go see a professional before thinking you have anything.

* Since a lot of people in these threads tend to skew younger, keep in mind that a lot of colleges have people trained to deal with problems you may be having. If you are enrolled, then your outrageous tuition fees should be covering that shit. Don't let those student loans go to waste.

* Likewise, check out support groups. Colleges love damn groups for just about everything. Groups: not just for anime.

* Understand that this is the internet and you may or may not care about how much personal stuff you divulge.

* While this thread, ideally, should be a warm happy place of digital hugs and sweetness, having problems does not necessarily absolve you of personal responsibility and shit. In other words: at least try not to be too thin-skinned if people toss out some criticisms. Unless they're being dicks about it, I guess.

* One big caveat to post here is that few people here are trained doctors that really have any idea of how the brain works besides an article they read once on Wikipedia. While a lot of people here are awesome, and the place is good for...feelin' good, ultimately you and your doctor should probably be the final authority on any major decisions you make.

* Having said that, doctors are not perfect. If you've been seeing the same person/people for a a good while and aren't happy with the results, then shop around.

Resources: (PM me to add stuff)

Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline: 800-4-A-CHILD (800-422-4453)
Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance: 800-826-3632
Boys Town National Hotline: 800-448-3000
Hopeline: 800-442-HOPE (4673)
Mental Health America: 800-969-NMHA (6642)
National Alliance on Mental Illness: 800-950-NAMI (6264)

And if you haven't read this explanation of depression by Allie Brosh, you totally should:

cV2pr7z.png

(A Tube Approved Thread)

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    personal update:

i'm really happy

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    i hope you all are too

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    I've been seeing a psychiatrist and a therapist for a few weeks now, and taking psychiatric medication for depression and anxiety and insomnia. I don't know if it's making me feel any better yet.

kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    So my doctor wants me to write a timeline from childhood before Monday. A timeline that includes jobs I've worked at and other things. To help diagnose me with ADHD.

I have no idea how to do this and I'm kinda confused on what would and wouldn't be relevant.

No I don't.
  • Options
    I've been seeing a psychiatrist and a therapist for a few weeks now, and taking psychiatric medication for depression and anxiety and insomnia. I don't know if it's making me feel any better yet.

it's harder for something like general depression, because it's not so much a better as "this sucks less"

with my bipolar disorder, once i got on my mood stabilizer, three days later my entire life was different

but for SSRIs and such it's much more of a gradient than a sudden shift

what do they have you on for anxiety/insomnia?

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    So my doctor wants me to write a timeline from childhood before Monday. A timeline that includes jobs I've worked at and other things. To help diagnose me with ADHD.

I have no idea how to do this and I'm kinda confused on what would and wouldn't be relevant.

It establishes if you have any kind of erratic behaviour, or other things associated with ADHD

whether you realize it or not, you live your life MUCH differently than a mentally "healthy" person when you have a disorder of some sort

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    I am OK I think?

Some things are awful, some things are great, bunches of stuff are middling

The biggest thing is that I'm finally starting to deal with all of the emotional damage done in my 20s, so that's hard, but by therapist is awesome and I'm learning to sit zazen and it feels amazing to be moving in a forward direction

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I wish I had insurance so I could see a therapist again without spending stupid amounts of money

I'm doing alright all things considered

but god damn it

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Here's one thing I don't have a problem with:
    this thread title

• Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    Three weeks ago I discovered my girlfriend of four years and very recent fiance had been cheating on me with a waiter at a Steak House, of all things. I've struggled with depression and suicidal tendencies/thoughts through our relationship, but haha man holy shit I've spent this entire month flying wildly between wishing I was dead to being crippled with anger.

I've just now managed to clean my place of all her stuff, which has helped, and I've tried to occupy my free time with friends and games and exercise, I know what I should be doing it just

sucks a lot.

I thought I was ready to start my grown-up life with a house and kids and all of that but

well, that didn't work out! I'm trying to stay doing all the things I should do when I get to feeling this way, but on Monday I found out she was fucking around with an old friend of mine and I've spent this entire week anywhere but at my own home because I'm terrified of what I'll do to myself if I'm alone.

So.. I should probably see a doctor.

• Options
    yay usagi!!!

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    WheatBun01 wrote: »
    Three weeks ago I discovered my girlfriend of four years and very recent fiance had been cheating on me with a waiter at a Steak House, of all things. I've struggled with depression and suicidal tendencies/thoughts through our relationship, but haha man holy shit I've spent this entire month flying wildly between wishing I was dead to being crippled with anger.

I've just now managed to clean my place of all her stuff, which has helped, and I've tried to occupy my free time with friends and games and exercise, I know what I should be doing it just

sucks a lot.

I thought I was ready to start my grown-up life with a house and kids and all of that but

well, that didn't work out! I'm trying to stay doing all the things I should do when I get to feeling this way, but on Monday I found out she was fucking around with an old friend of mine and I've spent this entire week anywhere but at my own home because I'm terrified of what I'll do to myself if I'm alone.

please go see someone

please talk more here if you need to be heard

please pm me if you need to be heard privately

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited June 2013

it's harder for something like general depression, because it's not so much a better as "this sucks less"

with my bipolar disorder, once i got on my mood stabilizer, three days later my entire life was different

zoloft and trazodone, but I rarely actually take the latter. I'm really sensitive to sleep drugs; if I take them, I sleep for 10 hours without the possibility of waking up (even splitting the pill into quarters!), but if I don't, I'm lucky to get four hours.

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options

sucks a lot.

please go see someone

please talk more here if you need to be heard

please pm me if you need to be heard privately

I'll be hanging around this thread a lot.

I've not really discussed it with friends much because for some reason I feel a weird shame on having been cheated on, like it makes me less of a man or something. I know that makes no sense at all but, engh.

You might have a big rambly PM in your inbox soon.

• Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    Being unemployed is eating away at my soul, I feel like. Most days I don't leave the house, I cry a lot. It's making me focus too much on my life choices and my uncertain future, which is never good with my brain.

• Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    i am in a horrible place mentally right now. full of self-loathing and fear and bad body image. i've been seeing a therapist and on meds for a while, but it just feels like it does nothing at this point. it doesn't help that i am studying for the bar exam, so it's a stressful time and i am extremely isolated. i thought getting a job (i don't start for a couple months) would make me feel a little bit better, but it hasn't at all. i'm worried i'm starting to alienate people around me by talking about it too much which has happened before.

• Options

It took me a couple of months to notice I was feeling/reacting to things differently, not that subtle stuff wasn't happening before that but to be big enough to notice was an eye opener

Also, hugs <3

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Since classes ended i've had absolutely nothing to do to occupy my time, and that has resulted in me getting lost in my own head again. It's not a very nice place up there.

At least next quarter starts on Monday so i'll have something to do, but i'm worried that because they are all online i'll not be able to focus as much as I did last quarter. Spending 80% of every waking moment sitting here doesn't do me much good, but I can never think of things to do elsewhere/come up with the motivation to try them.

• Options
    Sara Lynn wrote: »
    Being unemployed is eating away at my soul, I feel like. Most days I don't leave the house, I cry a lot. It's making me focus too much on my life choices and my uncertain future, which is never good with my brain.

I know it's super easy to just say "get out of the house", when in reality it's the very last thing you want to do (see people/interact with society)

but I promise just being out, even if it's for bullshit reasons, like taking an hour to shop for twenty minutes worth of groceries, and making small talk with everyone you can without being weird about it really, truly helps.

• Options
    Sara Lynn wrote: »

Yeah, being unemployed blows. It doubly sucks for me because I have no real skills that apply to any jobs I'd want, no degrees, pretty much nothing, ugh.

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    everything sucks forever

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    all unemployed people in thread:

i'll give you 7 dollars a month to play games with me on sundays

i will not provide your copy of the games

• Options
    One thing that has been helpful to me this round of unemployment at least has been keeping myself busy

last time I was unemployed I was horrendously depressed, and I pretty much didn't look for jobs at all and just moped and slept all day

and now I'm at least doing stuff during the day and not taking naps and such

also spending time with my daughter is nice, since I didn't get a chance to do it much when working my previous job

really hoping a day job is in my future

• Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular

zoloft and trazodone, but I rarely actually take the latter. I'm really sensitive to sleep drugs; if I take them, I sleep for 10 hours without the possibility of waking up (even splitting the pill into quarters!), but if I don't, I'm lucky to get four hours.

i wish trazodone knocked me out like that

• Options

What games?

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular

It establishes if you have any kind of erratic behaviour, or other things associated with ADHD

whether you realize it or not, you live your life MUCH differently than a mentally "healthy" person when you have a disorder of some sort

Yeah, but how do I do this. I don't want to give too much detail and end up with a 20 page whatever, but I don't want to skimp on the detail and miss things they probably would want in there.

No I don't.
  • Options
    Moriveth wrote: »

What games?

I dunno, Halo 4, I just bought Secret World.

Left 4 dead.

Whatever is on my steam list.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I'm growing up

It's pretty cool

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Thanks for making this thread @Usagi. I was reluctant to be the one to start it again for some reason.

I feel like I've plateaued lately. I am functional but I have bad dips sometimes and have yet to develop any coping mechanism beyond "ride it out". My doc is talking about taking me off AD's in a couple of months, not sure how I feel about that. I also need to move, and that'll probably be a lot of stress.

Overall though I guess I'm okay. I just feel like I've stopped making progress and am worried about backsliding.

Still convinced I will never really be happy.

• Options
    Oh no worries Smof, I had a conversation with Tube about how we use this thread so I have a feeling these will remain a semi-occasional treat rather than a regular thing

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I will be a whole lot less depressed when I can quit this job and go back to school

Just 5 more weeks...

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    I recently had a pretty severe self worth crisis due to a perfect alignment of booze, inability to exercise and someone doing something nice for me, which I am still riding the wave of. It's good fun!

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I recently remembered why I tried to scale back my drinking. I went from having a good time to suddenly being super down after one drink and decided to walk home and feel super bad.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options

Yeah, but how do I do this. I don't want to give too much detail and end up with a 20 page whatever, but I don't want to skimp on the detail and miss things they probably would want in there.

@Death of Rats

first you need to take a deep breath and realize this isn't an exam you can fail

you aren't only going to see this person once forever so you can't fuck it up

next you need to realize there's nothing to fuck up. this is an exercise all about helping you feel better.

give a general timeline of your life, think of times where you struggled, or where there was a hard dissonance between you and a person you were having a conversation with, the kinds of things you have trouble focusing on, little quirks you might have, how you did in school, what you excelled at, what you had trouble with

and if you miss some details or you go into too much detail

so?

they're not gonna laugh at you, they're gonna work with what you give them and if they need more they'll ask for more and if they need less they'll tell you so

another part of the exercise is just getting things out of your head and somewhere else, like on paper

ain't no reason to fret, dude, it'll go great

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    @WaM i do not have any experience personally with trazedone, but as with all medications i've heard reactions that vary from it did nothing to it put me in a coma

if it is something you dislike you should tell your doctor, since there's no sense in paying for a prescription you don't take

and there's TONS of drugs out there that could help, though i'm sure that's not an exciting prospect to you. my point is that there's no cureall, and there are some things that will work better than others

i take geodon for my insomnia/anxiety but it's also an antipsychotic that works with my mood stabilizer so i'm not sure if i can recommend it
    Hullis wrote: »
    I'm growing up

It's pretty cool

i love you

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I love you, bryar

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular

Like I realize this sounds like the punchline to an ADD joke but when I was asked to do this, this is the very question that plagued me into immobility and I just gave up on it and never went back! So uh, don't be like me

• Options
    cabsy wrote: »
    plagued me into immobility and I just gave up on it

Oh man I've been struggling with this one a whole bunch recently

Though today's particular brain problem is that I absolutely hate it when people (especially strangers, especially strange dudes) stand behind me and I have a roomful of such here for this scheduling conference. I am longing for a wall at my back like nobody's business.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I can't sit with my back to the door in a restaurant
    I picked this up from my dad, though he probably had a legitimate reason to worry about who was walking up behind him
    but I get all nervous if I can't see who's entering the joint

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    i am in a horrible place mentally right now. full of self-loathing and fear and bad body image. i've been seeing a therapist and on meds for a while, but it just feels like it does nothing at this point. it doesn't help that i am studying for the bar exam, so it's a stressful time and i am extremely isolated. i thought getting a job (i don't start for a couple months) would make me feel a little bit better, but it hasn't at all. i'm worried i'm starting to alienate people around me by talking about it too much which has happened before.

Ugh, I really identify with you here. I feel like I can't shut up about how bad I feel about my body these days even when I say to myself "don't talk about diet/exercise/being fat don't do it don't do it" ooooh there I go again.

But the truth is for the last year and change I've been really struggling with these intense bouts of depression. I don't feel in control of my emotional state, and it's to such an extent that I don't think it can't be explained only by this being a stressful time in my life. It doesn't help that I don't have anyone to see about it right now and my immediate family... well they have their own shit to deal with, but also they... I guess lack the understanding of depression that would help them to help me? That's the best way I have of putting it.

Anyway it sucks.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
This discussion has been closed.