As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] Calling it now, River Song is Mrs. Claus

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    That last TARDIS interior didn't last long, did it

the new one isn't that different, really. it's just cleaner, mainly. less loose wires and whatnot.

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    A lot of the changes look to be lighting-related and the addition of book cases (I am excited for book cases).

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Is it weird if I'm mainly curious to see if he gets a different Sonic? I could see him going for a less flashy one.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    There have been some on-set photos of him using the same sonic as Eleven. It'd be cool if it was toned down a little, though. The current sonic does seem a little... ostentatious (just like that word!) given his costume.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Jenna Coleman has revealed that Danny Pink will be
    her bishie.
    Q: What can you tell us about Clara’s relationship with Danny?

JC: She meets a man called Danny Pink – a teacher - who’s charming and lovely. He’s that perfect boyfriend really and is very supportive, but he doesn’t know anything about this double life she lives. She tries to hide it from him whilst at the same time falling in love. She becomes very torn between the two. It’s almost as if she’s having an affair, without having an affair, but the lying becomes more and more. Basically she’s trying to manage the two, and have these two men in her life. It becomes quite a hurtful thing and quite a hard thing for her because she’s totally torn between the two, and trying to have both at once without being able to do it successfully.

I dunno, seems a bit played-out as a plot device, but I suppose it's hard to avoid and there aren't many interesting alternatives that provide the same narrative tension.

• Options
    Look, reverse weeaboos!

http://youtu.be/ET4BxsjkZwM

• Options
    Definitely a good sign.

• Options
    AV Club: The new Doctor Who title sequence was originally designed by a fan
    Billy Hanshaw is a freelance motion-graphics designer in the northern English city of Leeds who, up to now, has mainly worked on commercials and corporate presentations. After Capaldi’s casting as the new Doctor Who star was announced in 2013, Hanshaw was inspired to spend a month putting together a mockup of a new title sequence “to challenge myself,” he said on his website. After he posted it to YouTube, it quickly went viral, garnering more than 700,000 hits and writeups from Radio Times, Huffington Post, and other media sites. It eventually attracted the notice of showrunner Steven Moffat, who liked it well enough to ask the BBC’s graphics department to make an official version based on Hanshaw’s work. Speaking at a press conference to promote the upcoming season, Moffat said, “It was the only new title idea I’d seen since 1963. We got in touch with him, and said, okay, we’re going to do that one.”

Hanshaw’s animation elaborates on the time-tunnel concept that has been used in Doctor Who’s title sequence since the early 1970s, adding clockwork gears and a spiral design based on a watch face. He also adds a couple of iconic images from earlier Doctor Who seasons—the fob watch seen in David Tennant’s “Human Nature” and “Utopia,” and the Great Seal of Rassilon, first used as the symbol of the Doctor’s home planet in 1976’s “The Deadly Assassin.”

The final, slightly revised version of the new titles will debut when the new season’s first episode, “Deep Breath,” broadcasts on Aug. 23. Here’s Hanshaw’s original animation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXOBHnWiinY

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    oh shit this is in like a week, isn't it?

• Options
    I wouldn't take the Mirror as a confirmed source

but that stinks if it's true

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    There is absolutely no way that is true. It would have leaked a long time ago if she were really only doing another half season, and I mean come on, look at that quote "By the time she leaves she will be one of the longest-standing companions ever. She has been absolutely brilliant in the role, but everyone agrees it is a part that should change after a period.” Clearly someone at the BBC was just messing with them, if that's a real quote at all.

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    I would be really disappointed if Clara leaves the show before becoming a real character.

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    There is absolutely no way that is true. It would have leaked a long time ago if she were really only doing another half season, and I mean come on, look at that quote "By the time she leaves she will be one of the longest-standing companions ever. She has been absolutely brilliant in the role, but everyone agrees it is a part that should change after a period.” Clearly someone at the BBC was just messing with them, if that's a real quote at all.

that's true, I really doubt she's even in the top ten longest-standing companions

• Options
    Season 8 episode titles released!
    1 - Deep Breath (by Steven Moffat)
    2 - Into The Dalek (by Phil Ford and Steven Moffat)
    3 - Robot Of Sherwood (by Mark Gatiss)
    4 - Listen (by Steven Moffat)
    5 - Time Heist (by Stephen Thompson and Steven Moffat)
    6 - The Caretaker (by Gareth Roberts and Steven Moffat)
    7 - Kill The Moon (by Peter Harness)
    8 - Mummy On The Orient Express (by Jamie Mathieson)
    9 - Flatline (by Jamie Mathieson)
    10 - In The Forest Of The Night (by Frank Cottrell Boyce)
    11/12 - Dark Water/Death In Heaven (by Steven Moffat)

• Options
    3, 5 and 7 are great titles

• Options
  • Options
    DOCTOR: Hello? Oh, hello. I'm sorry, this is a very bad line. No, no, no, but that's not possible. She was sealed into the seventh Obelisk. I was at the prayer meeting. Well, no, I get that it's important. An Egyptian goddess loose on the Orient Express, in space. Give us a mo. (to Amy and Rory) Sorry, something's come up. This will have to be goodbye.

AMY: Yeah, I think it's goodbye. Do you think it's goodbye?

RORY: Definitely goodbye.

(Amy goes to the door and shouts to Leadworth.)

AMY: Goodbye! Goodbye.

DOCTOR: Don't worry about a thing, your Majesty. We're on our way.
    Foxes cast in Series 8
    Steven Moffat, lead writer and executive producer, said: “We are completely thrilled that the amazingly talented Foxes is joining us on board … well, you’ll see. Let’s just say, the Doctor is finally catching up on his phone calls.”
    8 - Mummy On The Orient Express (by Jamie Mathieson)

Half Life 3 confirmed?

• Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    Mummy on the Orient Express
    is a pretty boss title, too.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
  • Options
    Kyoka SuigetsuKyoka Suigetsu Odin gave his left eye for knowledge. I would give far more Registered User regular
    12's costume needs a tie/carvat/scarf sooooo baaaaddddddd

• Options
    Nah. That really sort of... stark, minimal look I think works well for (what we know so far of) his character.

Also, is the orange detailing on the wall hexagons new? I feel like they're new.

• Options
    Then he needs to undo that button

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    The wall hexagons are so close to gaining the white circles back. Just make it happennnnnnnnn

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular

that's true, I really doubt she's even in the top ten longest-standing companions
    Well shes been around like...50 years. So shes number 1 :P

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Then he needs to undo that button

Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Options
    Bedlam wrote: »

Well shes been around like...50 years. So shes number 1 :P

Yeah, technically she is the only companion to have met all the Doctors. Officially it is Tegan at just short of three years of production with Sarah Jane in second. Jamie was in 113 episodes so he wins by that count. Then we have Brigadier, who while not a true companion, wins on most appearances over the longest period of time through multiple doctors.

• Options
    EmbraceThePingEmbraceThePing ひきこもり Where the Crabbits and the Iz roam and the Jungle Queen rules the plainsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I think I read that Clara's big eyed grinning companion wasn't really fitting in with 12's darker doctor and that was the reason for the change of character. At least that's what I read.

Am I wrong to want the doctor to have a male primary companion for once? With just the tiniest touch of larceny in his heart? One that isn't wholesome and good? One that's a little scared of being killed by aliens in the middle of nowhere by the bravado of a timelord?

Edit Just remembered who i was thinking of. Vila Restal from Blake's seven.

EmbraceThePing on
  • Options
    Just bring Jamie back.

• Options
    Or Turlough.

Though Ping, what about Avon? Avon for companion?

(Or Avon for Master? *shiver*)

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Stormagedon.

• Options
    Anyhow I've been watching some Fourth Doctor stuff on Hulu and I need to say that Harry is terrible. What was the point of him?

• Options
    As far as I remember, part of the idea was that he'd be able to take over any 'action' elements required (kind of based on the assumption that Four would be less of a man of action than Three was). Of course, when they brought in Tom Baker, they found that the Doctor was pretty able to do the action-y stuff himself.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    I saw some of Harry's stuff and I don't think he was that bad. He certainly had some good moments. This not being one of them mind you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGdxMJ1H_Mo

• Options
    He was really creepy as a Zygon clone of himself in TotZ. Pity that was Harry's last outing.

• Options
    EmbraceThePingEmbraceThePing ひきこもり Where the Crabbits and the Iz roam and the Jungle Queen rules the plainsRegistered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »
    Or Avon for Master? *shiver*
    +1
    As long as they brought (Supreme Commander) Servalan back as some kind of spider queen.

• Options
    Servalan is the best. I love her with all the villainy in my heart.

• Options
    Many a night of my adolescence was spent sleepless in admiration of that short haired dominatrix.

• Options
    Blake's VII is next on my list of shows to watch with fanatical scrutiny after I finish DW. I don't know much about it, but it's a dynamite concept for a show and I'm surprised they haven't tried to reboot it already.

This discussion has been closed.