As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] Calling it now, River Song is Mrs. Claus

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    I maintain my dislike of Donna.

Please note that if you plan to shank me as a result of this opinion my kidneys are in unusual locations, so don't aim for them. It's just inefficient.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Donna was the best companion

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I like Donna

she called the Doctor on his bullshit and didn't fawn over him every second.

To tell the truth there isn't really a companion I didn't like.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I would have liked all the things that Donna did if she'd been played by someone other than Catherine Tate

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I would have liked all the things that Donna did if she'd been played by someone other than Catherine Tate

Another time I'm glad to not watch enough british tv to know anything about most of the actors on the show.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I've never seen her outside of Doctor Who! And she was still super annoying

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

This could be true for me, I just have a hard time imagining it.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Seriously though give me one more episode with captain jack

• Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    I sometimes wonder how much more/less people would like Donna if she weren't preceded by Rose and Martha.
    On a related note Clara has been Killing It this season but I still have a lot of difficulty understanding how people don't think Amy and Rory are the best companions

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Because Amy sucks. :\

Edit: To clarify, I was always sick of her crushing on Matt Smith's doctor, and acting like everything was all about her. Not a problem with the actress or anything, since she did a good job of portraying it. Just hated her storyline.

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    why though? is it because she's another Sassy Moffat Female or am I glossing over specific really bad parts of her during 11's run

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    1) I really hated how much she tried to get in bed with the doctor.
    2) I feel like, compared to Clara, Rory, and Donna, she rarely contributed to the success of an outing.
    3) She often treats Rory like crap :(

She does a lot of cool things, to be sure, and has some great lines and chemistry. But those three things happen often enough to sour me on her character.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Clara this season has been a delight because she absolutely does stuff and doesn't just stand around looking confused, scared, determined or sassy

The pinnacle of this for me was
    she and the Doctor snapping the TARDIS door open and shut as they argued, because that's right, Clara can do that, too, fuck you Time Lord

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I like Donna

she didn't "call" the doctor out. she screamed him out like a mad person who has serious issues

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    2) I feel like, compared to Clara, Rory, and Donna, she rarely contributed to the success of an outing.

She does a lot of cool things, to be sure, and has some great lines and chemistry. But those three things happen often enough to sour me on her character.
    didn't the 'trying to get in bed with the doctor' thing get nipped after like her third episode though? i could be misremembering but i thought that was like a very early thing that was just panic before marrying rory
    the second two i can definitely see though.
    i marathoned most of matt smith's run in like a week or two when i was on sick leave from work, so a lot of 5 and 6 blur together for me. i guess most of my favorite moments are with her and rory as a unit

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Clara was really growing on me
    until the last episode where she's now keeping both Danny and the Doctor in the dark about the other, I mean come on. I'd like to think she's not that daft.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Yeah, let's be clear here, of the main "11th Doctor era" characters, Rory is definitively the best. This includes The Doctor himself.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    Clara was really growing on me
    until the last episode where she's now keeping both Danny and the Doctor in the dark about the other, I mean come on. I'd like to think she's not that daft.

Addiction is a hell of a thing

I'm willing to see where this goes

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Snork wrote: »
    Elbasunu wrote: »

didn't the 'trying to get in bed with the doctor' thing get nipped after like her third episode though? i could be misremembering but i thought that was like a very early thing that was just panic before marrying rory
    the second two i can definitely see though.
    i marathoned most of matt smith's run in like a week or two when i was on sick leave from work, so a lot of 5 and 6 blur together for me. i guess most of my favorite moments are with her and rory as a unit

She was all "You can DEFINITELY kiss the bride" at her freaking wedding. They were a bit bipolar about her/Rory/Doc to the point where it got brought up in an episode.

And yeah, Clara is improving lately, but also being wrong. It's going to explode sooner or later.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    If you think Amy was constantly trying to get into bed with the Doctor you watched that whole era waaaay differently than me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    If you think Amy was constantly trying to get into bed with the Doctor you watched that whole era waaaay differently than me.

Yeah. Whenever there was an actual "Doctor or Rory" choice, she went for the nurse, every time. But semi-flirting with the Doctor was a thing she did as a general "we're friends, and have been friends for a long time" semi-joke. I mean, even when she was making a move on him, it was shown as more "Amy is in a really bad place emotionally and is trying to figure out SOMETHING to deal with the trauma of seeing a lot of people die in front of me and nearly dying myself" instead of, you know, a crush.

• Options
    I mean early on she did like, explicitly ask him to fuck her

• Options
    Langly wrote: »
    I mean early on she did like, explicitly ask him to fuck her
    This is the part I was referring to. I thought this was the episode where they they pan over to show her wedding dress, but maybe I'm mixing up the first two episode endings or something. I definitely remember that scene getting shut down in a 'you're being impulsive and these aren't your real feelings' kind of way though

• Options
    gaybabygaybaby Registered User regular
    Biggest letdown for me was how Amy would pronounce the Doctor's name. DAWCTERRRR!!! Like a goddamn banshee. Otherwise, loved her.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    So this was the best episode of the series so far for me. Genuinely creepy, but with some serious chuckles to balance it out.
    That hand in the tunnels...dear lord I was almost headed behind the sofa again, it's been years since I was back there!

I've also noticed that they really seem to be pulling in will-they-won't-they companions each week now...which is kind of weird?

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    So this was the best episode of the series so far for me. Genuinely creepy, but with some serious chuckles to balance it out.
    That hand in the tunnels...dear lord I was almost headed behind the sofa again, it's been years since I was back there!

I've also noticed that they really seem to be pulling in will-they-won't-they companions each week now...which is kind of weird?
    It feels to me like some kind of thing going on with Clara and staying when she shouldn't have or something, especially with the mystery other people and this last episode.

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    gaybaby wrote: »
    Biggest letdown for me was how Amy would pronounce the Doctor's name. DAWCTERRRR!!! Like a goddamn banshee. Otherwise, loved her.

So you're just saying you didn't like that she was Scottish?

'cism.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    I figured that post had more to do with her tendency to scream his name.

Maybe it's one of those selective memory things where those moments just stand out more? I dunno.

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    I know my opinion is never shared by anyone else, but I liked Rose.

Yes she was needy and annoying, but Billie Piper was easy on the eyes.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I like Donna

she didn't "call" the doctor out. she screamed him out like a mad person who has serious issues
    I get why people complain about her shouting, but come on, she had really good reasons to be upset. If I dematerialized and appeared on a spaceship an incomprehensible distance from earth, my fiancee was the pawn of a melodramatic spider monster, and they had the reception party without me, a mopey Scotsman would not be able to get me to calm down.

• Options
    The first appearance of Donna is the hands down worst companion ever. That Donna is the worst.

When she comes back she's basically a different character.

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    I despised Donna. And Amy.

Which is surprising since I have a real lizard-brain attraction to red-heads.

But Christ they both just grated my last nerve.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    all of these missy/heaven scenes are so divorced from the episode they are like the most incompetent overarching plotline ever

who cares about anything she says when we don't get context for it until the last episode

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    statlerstatler Registered User regular
    Ok I rewound this 4x and I still can't make it out:
    "I am the Doctor and I name you '[....]'!"

qy85xdkddou7.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    statler wrote: »
    Ok I rewound this 4x and I still can't make it out:
    "I am the Doctor and I name you '[....]'!"
    the boneless

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    statlerstatler Registered User regular
    Thank you!

qy85xdkddou7.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I gotta say, this episode might stand as my platonic ideal of the show. Crazy sci-fi concept that didn't strain credulity (within the confines of the show, at any rate), perfect amount of horror elements. The "villains" feel like something that could have come out of the early years of the show (in a good way). The companion was useful and competent (Clara did make an excellent Doctor). It was serious when it needed to be, funny when it was appropriate, with just a hint of drama in the right places. The Doctor had the perfect blend of arrogance, cleverness, whimsy, and heroism (maybe I was just caught up in it all, but that Tennant-esque speech at the end felt like just the right amount of grandeur, especially since we haven't usually gotten that sort of thing from Capeldi).

Next week's episode looks kind of dull by comparison.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    I know my opinion is never shared by anyone else, but I liked Rose.

Yes she was needy and annoying, but Billie Piper was easy on the eyes.

I'm right there with you: Rose #1 Companion. And not just because of the easy on the eyes bit, she just was the glue that held the Doctors and other Companions together for me.

And I echo all the positive comments about the episode. More of this please. Clara doctoring it up, less ranting at the wrong people.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I gotta say, this episode might stand as my platonic ideal of the show. Crazy sci-fi concept that didn't strain credulity (within the confines of the show, at any rate), perfect amount of horror elements. The "villains" feel like something that could have come out of the early years of the show (in a good way). The companion was useful and competent (Clara did make an excellent Doctor). It was serious when it needed to be, funny when it was appropriate, with just a hint of drama in the right places. The Doctor had the perfect blend of arrogance, cleverness, whimsy, and heroism (maybe I was just caught up in it all, but that Tennant-esque speech at the end felt like just the right amount of grandeur, especially since we haven't usually gotten that sort of thing from Capeldi).

Next week's episode looks kind of dull by comparison.
    Couldn't agree more. Definitely want to see more episodes from this writer. You can see in the Extra interviews that he just 'gets' what the show is.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    This was so great. But did anyone else find the villains a little two dimensional?
    8-)

aGPmIBD.jpg
This discussion has been closed.