As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gunstar Heros or Metal Slug?

ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
After enjoying playing TMNT on my GBA, I decided to check out a what games I've missed on the system and two that catch my eye are Gunstar Super Heros and Metal Slug Advance.

So question 1) Which should I get, if I can only get one? I enjoyed whichever Metal Slug came out on the Xbox, and never really got to play gunstar back in the Mega Drive/Genisis days but really wish I had.

2) I often read about pirate GBA being sold on eBay and such, how safe do you think I am purchasing used or new GBA games from the Amazon Marketplace? Here in the UK the selection of GBA games, especially used, is limited at best, Amazon MP seems to have plenty of bargins.

3) On Amazon I notice there are 2 listing for Gunstar, one called Gunstar Super Heros, the other Gunstar Future Heros, however the box art for Future states Super Heros on it. Are there 2 games or is it just listed wrong on Amazon?

4) Lastly, I also have a PSP and DS, and notice a few metal slug games comming out soon, as well as GBA Metal Slug 1, would I be better off waiting for one of these other games?

ginguskahn360.png
ginguskahn on

• Options
    Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Is Metal Slug Anthology for PSP out yet? Go with that.

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Best new prices for either -
    Gunstar Future Heroes - £16.58 delivered
    Metal Slug Advance - £17.85

Gunstar is in gamestations 4 for £20 used, or £7.99 on its own.

My best suggestion, is get gunstar from gamestation, and 3 other games for £21 delivered (note the excellent Astro boy is also in the 4 for £20, and is of a similar genre)

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    Best new prices for either -
    Gunstar Future Heroes - £16.58 delivered
    Metal Slug Advance - £17.85

Gunstar is in gamestations 4 for £20 used, or £7.99 on its own.

My best suggestion, is get gunstar from gamestation, and 3 other games for £21 delivered (note the excellent Astro boy is also in the 4 for £20, and is of a similar genre)

Both Gunstar and Slug are half that used on Amazon, hence I ask about buying there. Good call on Gamestation though I forgot to check there and I trust them alot more than Amazon. Gunstar is a very good price there and I might be able to find a few more games for the deal :) Thanks.
    Is Metal Slug Anthology for PSP out yet? Go with that.

I think its out soon, but its going to be £30, compared to less than a tenner for the GBA Version...

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Also note, if its amazon marketplace, you have to add £2 for p&p.

Btw, Metal Slug Advanced, whilst a great game, is not a port, its a new game, more designed for handheld play, less arcadey. I still reccomend it, but bear in mind its not a port of the origonal game.

Also, Gamestation online don't let you mix and match formats in the 4 for £20 range, but in store they do. I have never tried orderin off the phone, but if there is less than 4 GBA games you want, maybe look at the other formats, and try phoning them, number is on the site.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    Also note, if its amazon marketplace, you have to add £2 for p&p.

Btw, Metal Slug Advanced, whilst a great game, is not a port, its a new game, more designed for handheld play, less arcadey. I still reccomend it, but bear in mind its not a port of the origonal game.

Also, Gamestation online don't let you mix and match formats in the 4 for £20 range, but in store they do. I have never tried orderin off the phone, but if there is less than 4 GBA games you want, maybe look at the other formats, and try phoning them, number is on the site.

Thanks for the info, I could easily head to a store and look at the selection.

Metal Slug 1 is in the 4 for £20 deal at gamestation as well, but I think i would prefer MS Advanced.

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Depends on what Metal Slug game. I never played any of the hand held ones, so if you have the option of getting the Anthology then get it.

Gunstar Heroes is great, but aggravating as all heck. It's really a tough decision, if you're comparing only Gunstar Heroes to a single Metal Slug game.

However, you should also take into consideration that the GBA Gunstar Heroes is altered from the original Genesis version. You'll have to get more info on that from someone else, though.

Sheep on
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The GBA version of Gunstar Heroes is a sequel of sorts to the original. The original is everything the sequel is and more, but Metal Slug suffers of a similar problem having been developed for a handheld and with the limitation of a handheld in mind. If you like some beat'em ups I'd say go for Advance Guardian Heroes if you can handle extreme slowdown and a steep learning curve. *cough*It's still more fun than Astro Boy*cough*

edit: wikipedia knows - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunstar_Future_Heroes

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    ArugulaZArugulaZ Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh, this is easy! Gunstar Super Heroes is the clear choice. Metal Slug Advance doesn't even play like the arcade games, opting instead for slow-paced and unforgiving platforming action. It LOOKS like Metal Slug, and even SOUNDS like Metal Slug. But it sure ain't Metal Slug!

Oh, by the way:

Gunstar Super Heroes: US version
    Gunstar Future Heroes: European version

I've got no idea why they made the change.

Wait, is the original Metal Slug still coming to the Game Boy Advance? Last I heard, the game was canceled.

ArugulaZ on
    JR

Same old site, great new look! Check out The Gameroom Blitz at:
    http://www.lakupo.com/grblitz
  • Options
    DiscoalucardXDiscoalucardX Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yes, I echo Gunstar Super Heroes. It has some issues (i.e. not as good as the Genesis game) but it's still pretty rad. Metal Slug Advance looks and plays like the others on the surface, but suffers from bland levels and generally sloppy design. In other words, it makes Metal Slug 4 look like a masterpiece.

DiscoalucardX on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    ArugulaZ wrote: »

Gunstar Super Heroes: US version
    Gunstar Future Heroes: European version

I've got no idea why they made the change.

Wait, is the original Metal Slug still coming to the Game Boy Advance? Last I heard, the game was canceled.

Thanks for that info, helps clear things up :)
    In the Uk at least, all the big shops still have Metal Slug 1 up, Play.com has its release as late June

I was going to ask about Guardian Heros, a Saturn game I missed out on, I don't think I could handle major slowdown though I am a sucker for smoothness :(

Thanks to everyone for the info, I think I will go for Gunstar for now and see how I get along :) maybe wait for MS1 to be released or 'till I got some spare cash for the PSP Anthology.

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png