As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 6/26/13: Pepperoni.

2»

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I guess I am confused as to what makes this any more awful or less acceptable than any of the stuff he wrote in Uncanny X-Force like Fantomex murdering kid apocalypse or Wolverine drowning his own son in a shallow puddle.

Unless I am mistaking your phrasing of the word awful, if you mean in story it's awful then well yeah, obviously, but I think the fact that a character who has been around for less than 8 issues is invoking this sort of strong emotion is a testament to the storytelling.

And I can respect if people just aren't interested in a story about Cap getting torn down, not everything has to be for everyone, it just sounds like you're coming awfully close to saying "this should not exist" which is the part where I frown disapprovingly at you.
    Because Steve was a hell of a lot more attached to Ian than Fantomex or anyone else on the team was to kid apocalypse, or Daken. And Daken was a hell of a lot less helpless than Ian. And Sharon wasn't told by a future version of herself that if she doesn't kill Ian an entire school full of children she cares for will die.

I could probably come up with more reasons that this is a lot worse but that's what immediately comes to mind.

and no, it's fine for this to exist for people who enjoy it

I was just taking issue with a line of reasoning I've heard way too much lately that is a poor way to justify anything.

"it makes sense for the character to do that" is a fine thing to consider when judging the quality of the writing. Remender succeeded in this where Goyer failed, in my opinion. It doesn't justify the existence of the plot point on it's own though, as that's up to the writer, not the character. I'm not saying that Remender shouldn't have wrote it, I'm saying that I don't like that he did, and that it can't be blamed on the character rather than him.

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    well obviously it's on Remender to make this stuff worth it, I don't think anyone disagree with that.

But I've enjoyed both this run so far and Remender's other stuff more than enough to be more than willing to follow him down this road.

I have no idea where this road is going, the end of this issue came as a total shock to me. I mean I kinda thought the what might happen, but the how, it's always the how that gets ya.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Ultimate Comics X-Men #28 Jean Grey and Kitty have a talk about Tian/Utopia.
    H7GkOxT.jpg

y52lPov.jpg

ue26xiS.jpg

SUiHZ1B.jpg

The Flash #22, Barry chases after Kid Flash who has some learnin' to do yet.
    uPdDn0C.jpg

L26Kizd.jpg

6z5GvZi.jpg

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    That would have been a perfect moment to say "Flash fact!"

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    captain america
    she can't just point a gun and yell "hey, kid, drop the weapon and don't make any sudden movements"?

like, if i was a policeman and i saw some little kid holding a gun, my first response would hopefully not be to shoot him in the neck

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    They wrecked an empty school at night dude

there is a SCHOOL'S CANCELLED and kids cheering outside gag

you're looking for shit that ain't there

I'm genuinely surprised.

But good for them.

Crimsondude on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    captain america
    she can't just point a gun and yell "hey, kid, drop the weapon and don't make any sudden movements"?

like, if i was a policeman and i saw some little kid holding a gun, my first response would hopefully not be to shoot him in the neck
    Steve has at least three gaping wounds, is on the foot of death's door and the kid was screaming about killing Steve for his dad's honor the page before.

Sharon made a logical, but still harsh decision. She doesnt realize how harsh of course but considering Steve has been missing and is a minute or so away from being dead she had to make a very fast decision.

CYpGAPn.png
    edited June 2013
    Two things about Cap:
    Sharon's not a cop, and not bound by any such restrictions.

Even if she were, cops kill hostage takers all the time. It's a judgment call all the same, and one that makes perfect sense in context. That doesn't make it right, but it makes it justifiable.

Crimsondude on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    cap
    it just reminds me of poor D-Man, is all :(

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    I'm sure anyone who was familar with Venom and Punisher from Remender were just waiting for him to rip Cap's heart out.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    No one deserves what happened to him.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I don't follow Captain America but this is one of the reasons I love Remender so much.

He's so damn good at bleak/depressing "there is no God" darkness. The man is evil to the core to his characters.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I don't follow Captain America but this is one of the reasons I love Remender so much.

He's so damn good at bleak/depressing "there is no God" darkness. The man is evil to the core to his characters.

How did Kieron Gillen describe him?

"I didn’t say he was a friend. Rick has no friends. And no enemies, above the ground."

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Loved the panel in Ultimate X-Men
    Where Kitty steps forwards and Jean takes a step back.

Yeah. You'd better step back. You mess with the cat you get the claws.

H9f4bVe.png
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Loved the panel in Ultimate X-Men
    Where Kitty steps forwards and Jean takes a step back.

Yeah. You'd better step back. You mess with the cat you get the claws.

Yeah and you mess with the girl you get the
    HIIIIIIIIIITlER

Quire.jpg
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    So exactly what is
    Jean's deal in Ultimate X-Men now? I haven't been keeping track so no clue what happened with her since a bunch of them got killed.

• Merlin the TunaMerlin the Tuna Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    oh oh oh also Daredevil #27 - shadowy figures
    All issue the comic cuts away from the action to scenes of mysterious figures lurking in the shadows around everyone Matt cares about - Foggy, his employees, his (ex?)-girlfriend, his ex-wife. As expected, Bullseye exerts his leverage:
    IuQQgmx.jpg
    6Gy0UDa.png
    ilu mark waid
    This is a great sequence, but I feel like Red Robin did the same thing a little better back before the reboot hit. Maybe in part just because I like Ra's Al Ghul more as a scheming mastermind than the villain at it here.

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Also, I'm glad to see Atomic Robo vol. 8 starting up. Bernard is my favorite action scientist and any time he's out in the field is a treat.

Also also, Jenkins acting CEO has a unique way to handle the grind of paperwork.

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Greg Rucka has a new Image book out, drawn by the wonderful Michael Lark, and it introduces it's protagonist in a fairly unique way...

Lazarus #1
    DD4G7px.jpg
    N7iINuA.jpg
    XqwVige.jpg
    zSevqcz.jpg
    XZLdJ7m.jpg

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    WTF ...

• Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    She killed them, Crimsondude.

She killed all of them...

kyrcl.png
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    So many good comics this week.

Nova #5 Sam makes a new friend:
    552FvyW.jpg

Can't wait to see what Wells and Medina will bring to the book.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Cade wrote: »
    So exactly what is
    Jean's deal in Ultimate X-Men now? I haven't been keeping track so no clue what happened with her since a bunch of them got killed.

Still uncertain.
    She's in charge of Tian now, the fantastical magic floating mutant sky kingdom, but we don't know how or why that happened yet. There's some indication that the Brothers X/Zorn are dead, but Jean still honors them in some way by praying to little X/Zorn candles.

There was a time when she was also acting as a double agent for SHIELD while living in Tian, but might have been a triple agent keeping an eye on SHIELD for the Brothers.

Now she wants to be queen of the mutants for their own good, basically.
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    So many good comics this week.

Nova #5 Sam makes a new friend:
    552FvyW.jpg

Can't wait to see what Wells and Medina will bring to the book.

I love Grey Uatu. Good design.

H9f4bVe.png
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    My LCS had all 4 GotG so I picked them up. Really like the book, also - does Morrison's run on Batman Inc end with #13?

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Yes, and the book is also ending after an additional one-shot (not written by Morrison).

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    My LCS had all 4 GotG so I picked them up. Really like the book, also - does Morrison's run on Batman Inc end with #13?

I'd recommend grabbing Thanos Imperative, since it's pretty much the fifth book in that series.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I am thinking he meant issues 1-4 of the current Guardians series

CYpGAPn.png
    Is #4 even out? Oh wait, the .1.

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Is #4 even out? Oh wait, the .1.

#4 came out last week. So right now volume 3 has 0.1, and 1-4.

• cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Yeah current GotG - have the .1 digitally so not going to buy it again.

Guess that makes finishing up Inc that much easier - thanks!

Man, being 3 weeks behind kinda blows :P