As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Snap into a [Superhero Movie]!

CenoCeno pizza timeRegistered User regular
edited July 2013 in Social Entropy++
The next one on the docket is The Wolverine, which hits July 26th.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th1NTVIhUQU

Thor: The Dark World is out this holiday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bFZJ-3zNFg&feature=player_embedded

Captain America: Winter Soldier is currently filming. Marvel has signed RDJ to reprise Iron Man in Avengers 2 & 3. DC still has no fucking clue how to make movies.

Discuss.

Edit: @Lars, sorry wasn't trying to hijack or reclaim anything. Just saw the other one got closed. I made use of your Thor link though :-)

Ceno on

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Well I for one am excited the most about Winter Soldier

looks like they are going to do another great job there, the first Cap was really enjoyable, I think this one will be as well

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I just got back from World War Z.

It was decently entertaining but had shit all to do with the book. Seriously. I couldn't spoil anything from the book if I wanted to. They didn't even have the Battle of Yonkers. The biggest, most recognizable action setpiece from the book. The infected in the movie were actually really similar to the clickers from The Last of Us, except they also swarmed like ants. The guy who was the lead henchman in Iron Man 3 has a sizeable role as a soldier.

The movie suffered from the same thing so many movies today suffer from, which is a lack of buildup. They spend fourteen seconds setting up something and then dump you right in the middle and you only care about the protagonist because he's the protagonist and the movie is telling you to care about them. The big establishing shots that are supposed to show the grand scale of the destruction are too abrupt to register, and the final act of the film is literally a quest from a video game.
    We need <Item X>. Unfortunately, the only <Item X> we have is located in the wing of this building that's stuffed with zombies.

It needed an R rating and, more importantly, an HBO miniseries that could actually cover the stuff in the book at a desirable pace. Divorced from the source material, it has a few good action setpieces and Brad Pitt is likeable enough. I'm kind of amazed it came out at all given the production difficulties.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Well, it's sounding more likely that World War Z is gonna get a sequel, so who knows if they'll be adding more of the book elements in or not.

Divorced from the book, it was an okay movie. The book format itself wouldn't have translated well to a 2 hour movie. Maybe with a sequel or trilogy, they'll get to incorporating more of the book's memorable sequences.

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    The whole point of the book was that it wasn't about Zombies, really

like, Zombies were the context

but it was more about looking at the social repercussions of massive events in a time like ours etc

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I haven't read World War Z, because I didn't like what I read of the Zombie Survival Guide

So hearing that WWZ is apparently pretty good and has shit-all to do with the book is like double-bonus for me

Really do want to see it soon

Also I've been on a Marvel binge the past week, and really looking forward to The Winter Soldier now, especially after watching Captain America last night

Sebastian Stan was some great casting for someone who's going to be taking a villainous turn - he's the perfect friend to Steve in the first film, but scenes like when he snipes a Hydra agent or when he's scouting the train, he's got a believable hard villain look on his face

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Bucky will fuck you up

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I am perpetually amazed that Marvel managed to not only re-introduce Bucky, but make him a relevant and interesting character.

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    World war z felt really disjointed to me, like they'd cobbled together a very different movie from the one they'd been filming. Thinking one of the extras looked like Matthew Fox then later realising that nope, that is Matthew Fox was quite distracting too.

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    World War Z is a very different style from Zombie Survival Guide.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    One thing I really love about Ellis's run on The Authority is that within their purview, there was just no fighting any of its members, and Ellis was consistent on that point. He's a good enough science fiction writer and consistent enough as a "power guy" that when the Authority shows up, they're already at the peak of what can be done on the particular scale at which they operate.

Like the Engineer - she can make an electromagnetically-suspended net of knives small enough to slip between atoms, it doesn't matter how nigh-invulnerable you are, close quarter combat doesn't mean shit against her because she has control over independently intelligent atomic-scale robots and the creative capacity to use them at something approaching their real potential. That's so cool! It means that there's no such thing as a martial threat against her when it comes to fighting other capes, but that's okay, because that's what his entire run on The Authority was about in the first place!

It reminds me of the science fiction stuff he did in Transmetropolitan and I just love it so much

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    It's too bad Ellis was followed up with Millar and stuff like his inbred hillbilly cyborg with a thousand powers that could use his poop vision to take out the Authority.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    wut

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Yeah, Langly, that did really happen. Everything form Millar onward is strictly "take it or leave it" with a strong emphasis on the latter.

But what I'm saying is that Ellis's run on the book was incredible for what it was.

It also made me

And this is going to sound stupid

But it's really made me think about Spider-Man

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    So this is the most relevant thread to post this so here goes.

I just finished the first episode of Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated.

Holy shit, that is a fun cartoon show.

Also good lord, Fred loves his traps. Like Jesus Christ, that man & his traps...

And Patrick Warburton is the sheriff?!?! YES......

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Mystery Inc is great. At least the first season, I haven't seen the second since it wasn't on Netflix last I checked but I heard it's just as good if not better.

• Options
    Ellis' stuff was kind of mean-spirited andhad loads of techno-wankery which was un-necessary, because all you need to say is "they are unstoppably hard" which, in the setting they were in, was absolutely true. It was also Squadron Supreme with a dose of the Iron Age, and not as revolutionary as some thought in that regard.

It was a big blockbuster series, though. "Widescreen comics" and all that. I can enjoy it for the bombastic spectacle, if not most of the rest. Millar's work had the spectacle as well, but just took the mean-spirited tone too far.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Ellis's run was filled with moments of real triumph throughout and a sense of wonder at different things, while maintaining that some characters really preferred not to be as violent as their job called on them to be.

And I loved his sci-fi shit, if you don't wanna listen to the Engineer talk about her nanobots for thirty panels straight then GET OUTTA MY FACE

I mean you can say Millar was too mean-spirited, but not in the sense that it's an extension of Ellis's tone. Ellis was violent and sometimes dark but the characters always came out with a smile and a sense of having won and experienced and grown, whereas Millar systemically raped three members of the team, including forcing the two active female members into sexual slavery

There is absolutely no comparison going on there; the tones could not be more removed. Violent and dark, sure, but Ellis's run was still a superhero book on a bigger scale, while Millar's run was a charnel house

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Millar's Authority has a panel where the cross-eyed NOTHulk villain looks directly at the readers and says "Comics are for retards."

Millar's Authority is utter crap

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Ellis's run was filled with moments of real triumph throughout and a sense of wonder at different things, while maintaining that some characters really preferred not to be as violent as their job called on them to be.

And I loved his sci-fi shit, if you don't wanna listen to the Engineer talk about her nanobots for thirty panels straight then GET OUTTA MY FACE

I mean you can say Millar was too mean-spirited, but not in the sense that it's an extension of Ellis's tone. Ellis was violent and sometimes dark but the characters always came out with a smile and a sense of having won and experienced and grown, whereas Millar systemically raped three members of the team, including forcing the two active female members into sexual slavery

There is absolutely no comparison going on there; the tones could not be more removed. Violent and dark, sure, but Ellis's run was still a superhero book on a bigger scale, while Millar's run was a charnel house

I love sci-fi wankery when it doesn't feel kind of, well

wanky

well that's not true I always love sci-fi wankery but there is a limit to the smugness I can take

I dunno, I don't mind harsh superhero settings at all. Quite like them in fact. But The Authority coupled that with a definite feel of people being assholes because, even before Millar came along. It might be just me, I'm the guy who doesn't like Iron Man or Batman because they are jerks. But it was less enjoyable for me as a result of that. There was character growth, there was experience and so on, but I found it hard to actually emphasise with any of the characters, because even when they seemed to not want to do what they did, the didn't do shit about it. For people who were determined to fuck the status quo, they seemed awfully resigned to working from inside their own box.

Horses for courses and all that.

Solar on
  • Options
    I enjoyed Ellis' run well enough.

Yeah they were kind of assholes, but they were often called out on it and had moments of humanity. Plus there was some genuinely inventive cool sci-fi superheroics going on.

Meanwhile Millar's first arc had them go up a team of Avengers pastiches, which included the previously mentioned comics hating Hulk and a rape-happy Captain America.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Now I think about it

it's been years since I read those comics so I am working purely from memory here

• Options
    edited July 2013
    I love you Mr. Lee

What I was really leading into is that I loved Ellis's treatment of superpowers because he took what he was given with their abilities and took them to the furthest logical extreme allowable by what had been established before, and came out with something sort of breathtaking

Now take Spider-Man

Spider-Man can pick up ten tons over his head and throw it, is essentially precognitive, is fast enough to act on precognition and dodge automatic weapons fire, and can stick to surfaces so hard that the tensile strength of steel will give out before his grip does. Most writers tend to treat him as being a good deal stronger than people, but that's not really it - his nervous system has to be more developed, faster, more precise

Theoretically you'd have Spider-Man fight The Lizard or Doc Ock and it wouldn't really be a fight - Doc Ock comes at him and for all intents and purposes Spider-Man could just walk between the arms, get up in his face, and flick him in the head with one finger hard enough to knock him out. He should be able to fight the Hulk and win because there's no way for the Hulk to lay a finger on him and Spider-Man knows physiology well enough to take him to pieces one pressure point at a time. Electro is no concern because he can't direct lightning as fast as Spider-Man can react to it

What I want is a Spider-Man who's that powerful, that casually capable of fighting crime or supervillains or whatever

And then you stick him in a book that's almost exclusively about Peter Parker's personal life. Like, oh no, the Rhino showed up, but that's only concerning because he's going to be late for his dinner date with Aunt May!!!

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Solar I might re-read Ellis and Millar's runs just to compare

The part where the Engineer is the first woman on the moon

"Why did we stop coming to a place that's so beautiful?"

Man

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Ohhhhhh

Snap into a superhero movie!

I just got that

• Options
    edited July 2013
    This is where I say Superior is by an incredibly wide margin the best thing Millar has written since Marvel 1985.

It isn't perfect, but it is actually really fun and has a good message!

I have no idea how it exists!

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Hey man I love that shit

guys like Hyperion and Thor and the Silver Surfer and so on

Current Hyperion is amazing to me because he's this guy whose amazingly powerful and thus, obviously, it affects the way he acts, the way he thinks, the way he even sees the world, because he doesn't forget things, he can look at every particle that makes up your body, he's different in a very fundamental way, and yet recognizably a sentient and feeling creature with enough human-like traits that you can really empathise and feel for him.

Spider-Man has to struggle against challenges because that is a core element of his character. I don't mind that. Other characters don't always need that though, and I really quite like what you are suggesting there for them, I always like it when writers display superhuman ability in clever and inventive and genuinely, honestly powerful ways, and it's another reason why I've always preferred the more high-concept sci-fi stuff over the street level things.

But, I dunno. It seems you got more from the Authority than me. I thought it was okay, enjoyable at times, a grand spectable, but that it didn't hold any substance I cared for. A bunch of characters I didn't really like arguing over things that made them seem sort of hollow. They weren't likeable, even when they were right. It was widescreen popcorn fun, but I never felt like it delivered anything more than that for me.

Supergod was far better. JMS' Squadron Supreme, while it lasted, too.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I enjoyed Ellis' run well enough.

Yeah they were kind of assholes, but they were often called out on it and had moments of humanity. Plus there was some genuinely inventive cool sci-fi superheroics going on.

Meanwhile Millar's first arc had them go up a team of Avengers pastiches, which included the previously mentioned comics hating Hulk and a rape-happy Captain America.

Millar's run had one good element to it, and that's how he wrote the Midnighter. He knows how to handle the Midnighter even if he hasn't got nothing else

But you know what irked me most, even past the whole "Let's brainwash the two girls and have them sold into sex slavery, one of them hooked on heroin and the other paraded around as a big-tittied rape trophy"? I mean, not more than that, but I expect that shit out of Millar now

It was the way, in Millar's Authority, corporations are the single most powerful force on the planet, even a planet full of superheroes

Also he had no idea how to make a threat to the Doctor so he just took the Doctor out of every fight, nice thinking asshole it's like these characters shouldn't be pitted against normal martial threats at all

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Parts of JMS' Squadron Supreme were good. I remember liking Hyperion a whole bunch.

But Nighthawk was fucking terrible and kinda racist

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Nighthawk was an interesting idea that was done poorly

and JMS is preachy in that (though not his worst)

Hyperion was really cool though

(I love Hyperion forever)

To clarify, though, the Authority was everything that I would love in a comic when it came to the concept, but just never really worked for me in execution.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    just saw This Is The End over the weekend. i think it counts as a superhero movie, because it starred a team of heroes whose superpower is to make people laugh uncontrollably.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    This is where I say Superior is by an incredibly wide margin the best thing Millar has written since Marvel 1985.

Millar has a pretty huge range, he just dosen't use it very often.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Incidentally I'd love an intelligent, thoughful Supermanalogue movie that explores the separation between a being like that and the people he protects

• Options
    Balefuego wrote: »

Millar has a pretty huge range, he just dosen't use it very often.
    I am aware, but it is way closer to his old Superman Adventures stuff than I thought he could possibly write nowadays.

Like, it is downright heartwarming at spots.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    It's because he is writing about something he likes and wants to be positive about, as opposed to something he is trying to take the piss out of for whatever reason. And thus, without the mean-spirited tone, his writing improves massively.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I understand why they didnt because he's a big draw and because it would severely limit what they could show in the trailer but man

man I really wish they hadn't posted Danny McBride all over every poster and footage of the movie because his entrance is so unbelievably good, it would have been so awesome for it to be a surprise.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    I understand why they didnt because he's a big draw and because it would severely limit what they could show in the trailer but man

man I really wish they hadn't posted Danny McBride all over every poster and footage of the movie because his entrance is so unbelievably good, it would have been so awesome for it to be a surprise.
    It was incredible.

But it doesn't touch
    IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU

or The Backstreet Boys 2013 Reunion Tour in Heaven.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular

It was incredible.

But it doesn't touch
    IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU

or The Backstreet Boys 2013 Reunion Tour in Heaven.

the
    whole eating James Franco was pretty close. and Channing Tatum.

i love him

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    There are so many amazing moments

god I love This is the End so much

@Grey Ghost

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.