As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Surveillance [Chat]

ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
edited July 2013 in Debate and/or Discourse
Types of Surveillance Cameras:

Box:

box_camera.jpg

What most people think of when they think of cameras. It's strengths tended to be from better electronics and more space. But improvements to CMOS technologies have started rendering it moot. Now it's strengths are the ability to swap lenses and that you can use many housings with it.

DOME.jpg

The dome camera. The above one is pretty crappy but the quality gap between it and a box camera has dropped. It's strengths tend to be vandal resistance. It's not going to stop a bullet or a big enough sledge hammer but if you get close enough to use a big enough sledge hammer then I'm gonna have a great shot of you.

IR_Waterproof_Box_Camera.jpg

Bullets. Cheap, already in a housing, generally with a non-varifocal lens. This one has integrated IR which is pretty common for bullets.

CCTV%252520speed%252520dome%252520camera324.jpg
PTZ Cameras. Pan Tilt and Zoom. They are amazing with a human operator. Expensive paperweights without them. Their cost is high because even the cheap ones tend to have really good optics.

4ojy.jpg

Thermal. Expensive as hell. Limited resolution. But for when you just have to be able to spot a human being a mile away at night, there is no other real option.

1k7s.jpg

Covert:
ejh3.jpg

Generally cheap and crappy. Often look like smoke detectors which is silly because that tends to piss off fire marshals.

Thomamelas on

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    fail [chat]

Bless your heart.
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    http://www.yelp.com/wordmap/nyc/hipster

Next time someone calls me a hipster I will refer them to this map

I do not live in the red area

I just live next to the red area

you've probably never heard of it

@Deebaser
    @syndalis

• MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Man, I am never getting organic blackberry jam again. These seeds are like murder.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    fail [chat]

Suddenly my idea isn't looking so bad now, isn't it?

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I WILL NEVER STOP TALKING ABOUT MECHWARRIOR

TODAY IS A PATCH DAY AND IT'S GOING TO FIX LOTS OF STUFF IT WILL BE GREAT YEAAAAAH

• MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    @Irond Will

no, he lost the ponytail before I came back from boot camp. now it's short hair and MWO all the time.

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I will crush your [chat]

I will [chat] your skull

[chat] will crush your skull

aRkpc.gif
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Oh god, the hipsters are spreading.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »

@Deebaser
    @syndalis

I like the PBR/Hipster overlap.

Also the close proximity of the "frat" heatmap in Greenwich is pretty funny.

Will I am glad you like Guild Wars 2.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    ronya wrote: »
    I will crush your [chat]

I will [chat] your skull

[chat] will crush your skull

all acceptable answers

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Just spotted this on instawatcher.

babysitter-1969-poster-02_510x780_60037c13bc7ec811db7b98697eef9026.jpg

smCQ5WE.jpg
    as DADDY,

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    There are a stunning number of attractive people here. I'm going to do my best not to let my perception of this trip hinge on whether I manage to get laid.

vRyue2p.png
  • GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Welp, wife's at home. Feeling a bit bad I'm at work but our son is there too so hopefully he will keep her company for a bit though I imagine she might have a nap or something this afternoon. :(

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • tido14tido14 Registered User regular
    And Jaleel White as Baby.

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    @Eddy
    Eddy wrote:
    EM is saying it's a sidescroller a la Castlevania. Procedurally generated nonsense aside, exploration + side scroller platformer + sense of progress = metroidvania?

mmm

I'd disagree with that. A metroidvania uses (what I have a termed) a constructed world. Exploration, yeah; but also needing to backtrack and collect powerups to reach new areas. Preferably a bit of sequence breaking, also.

Not really sure how intricate a random "level" can be.

Take Spelunky. Each level is generated randomly, but there's a sense of progression as you purchase or collect artifacts ... per character. Or, nethack: there's a sense of progression if you run across one of your old bones files. Neither of these are metroidvanias: you explore in Spelunky, but there's no backtracking; nethack is not a platformer.

(chat closed on me wtf)
    Reading the description, might be I'm underestimating the size of the "level". If the castle is generated once per game (as opposed to character), then I could see tagging it with metroidvania.

Tamin on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

I SEE WAT U DID THAR

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    syndalis wrote: »

I SEE WAT U DID THAR

once I wrap things up in the burg. . .

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote:
    She's not, you know, cray into god

But she's p into god

Penis into god.
    Award winning short film featuring the voices of Steve Coogan and Ian McKellen about one man's attempt to have an unholy union with God.
    NSFW

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    As a guy whose roommate has not found alternate accommodation yet and whose brother hasn't decided whether to break up with her yet,

hey guys this is just a post to keep chat moving

i'll edit it later but you can just give me the awesomes now

:(

• Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote:
    g1e566481.jpg

Oh my god I love Eric Schumacher

• Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    my crazy downstairs neighbor is yelling again.

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    there comes a point where she might just intentionally bomb roommate interviews and stuff just so you don't kick her out though

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    CBoyardee has head problems.

But, then again, so do I.

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

-Deebaser
    -syndalis

My friends gonna be disappointed, the place we stayed is now officially the unhipstery part of williamsburg.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    RMS, send her to Ethiopia. It solves all your problems!

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    As a guy whose roommate has not found alternate accommodation yet and whose brother hasn't decided whether to break up with her yet,

Your brother is dating your roommate? Rude.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Housemate! Unless you've decided for an avant garde approach to layout or have secretly moved across the Atlantic.

I find that focusing on opinions about semantics preferable to dealing with these tough situations. I recommend idly speculating about people wishing to use whom rather than who in idle chit chat this week.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    @evil multifarious I'm getting rogue legacy based on your tepid endorsement

is this how voting for obama felt

just kidding I voted for him twice

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    TehSloth wrote: »

-Deebaser
    -syndalis

My friends gonna be disappointed, the place we stayed is now officially the unhipstery part of williamsburg.

what's funny is that if you filter for tourist there is like nothing in billyburg

if you spend any time there at all through it is fucking crawling with tourists all trying to be in the "cool" part of brooklyn

there comes a point where she might just intentionally bomb roommate interviews and stuff just so you don't kick her out though

I only gave her a month's notice on Sunday. I believe come Thursday the First of August I have the right to chuck her stuff into the street. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that.

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »

-Deebaser
    -syndalis

Oh nooooooo

/eyeroll

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    @meganamram: girl you must be the band KoЯn and I must be the letter R because you are making me FLIP

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here

I only gave her a month's notice on Sunday. I believe come Thursday the First of August I have the right to chuck her stuff into the street. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that.

Not your problem if it does.

• kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    fuck I need a haircut

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Ugh, Ubisoft, why do you suck so much as a company?

This discussion has been closed.