As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Objective: Defend Convoy to New Space Sim Thread for 5:00 Minutes

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    I remember a friend having an early version of this kind of software back in 2001, he was playing mechwarrior 4, his roommate clapped at something funny,and triggered his zoom.
    It blew our minds.

Now we have this stuff.....

You can get a text-to-speech addon for it too so when you give a command a voice will answer with a predetermined sentence or something. Like you say "Weapons hot" and voice attack coud answer with "Hardpoints deployed, weapons online, all systems nominal".

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    And yet my car still thinks I'm saying "help" or "cancel" when I say "home".

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I'm a bit wary of trying that, voice activated systems have a bit of a hard time with foreign accents.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I'm a bit wary of trying that, voice activated systems have a bit of a hard time with foreign accents.

Have you tried not having a foreign accent?

JtgVX0H.png
  • GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    Microsoft's speech recognition training program is pretty good at learning even hard accents. Do the training program a few times and you should be okay.

causality.png
    Darmak wrote: »

Have you tried not having a foreign accent?

It's not really my choice you know

camo_sig2.png
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    But you can be better Stormy.

You can be better.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Gokerz wrote: »
    Microsoft's speech recognition training program is pretty good at learning even hard accents. Do the training program a few times and you should be okay.

Counterpoint:
    http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/vinny-bought-bot-colony-now-what/2300-9199/

edited July 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2npEwpclJoo
    NSFW audio

and that GB video is just for subscribers.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    No speech recognition system will ever figure out the scottish.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
  • imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Important questions:

Is I-War (1 or 2) fun?

Is it HOTAS compatible or is it m/kb?

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
    I-war 1 REQUIRES a joystick for decent playability. It's probably playable with m/kb, but not very good. IWar2 should be a tad more forgiving, but still a hell lot better with stick or hotas.

those 2 games are on the super hardcore side of the spectrum. I love them.

camo_sig2.png
    Cool, I might buy the second one - I want more things to use my x55 on.

steam_sig.png
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I-War 2 is probably going to be the one that sticks out of the two. I love the first one but there is a huge dose of nostalgia that goes with it. Levels can be long, have some crazy difficulty spikes and can be more like solving a physics puzzle at times. I think I prefer the story of the first one, personally. I wish they'd stuck with the Military perspective but the Indies aren't terrible. There is a big Firefly feel to the second game in a sense. You are an outlaw crew trying to make your way in the verse and keeping an eye out for revenge as you do so. It's a gated world but it gives you a good bit of freedom, but the game isn't a sandbox. It's very much objective driven but you get a lot of freedom in how you pursue your objectives.

• TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    I-war 1 REQUIRES a joystick for decent playability. It's probably playable with m/kb, but not very good. IWar2 should be a tad more forgiving, but still a hell lot better with stick or hotas.

those 2 games are on the super hardcore side of the spectrum. I love them.

I can't even get IWar 2 to work without a joystick. :(

I'm actually considering an x55. I figure if I get a HOTAS I might as well get the best one in my price range. Maybe then I could fly things in FPSes without crashing immediately.

EH28YFo.jpg
    A lot of people report mechanical malfunctions with the x55. Personally, I've never had a problem with mine, so I'm not sure if I'm just lucky, of if it's just the itnernet gives a bigger voice to negative experiences?

It was basically in my price range - I didn't want to drop the money on a Warthog even though that's a nice-feeling stick.

steam_sig.png
    I just remembered how bad I am at IWar 2.
    You die so easy in those games. So many systems. So much good complexity. So hard.

camo_sig2.png
    A lot of people report mechanical malfunctions with the x55. Personally, I've never had a problem with mine, so I'm not sure if I'm just lucky, of if it's just the itnernet gives a bigger voice to negative experiences?

It was basically in my price range - I didn't want to drop the money on a Warthog even though that's a nice-feeling stick.

It's good otherwise though, right? As long as I can get a decent extended warranty, I'm not too worried about possible mechanical failures. Else I'd never buy another razer product again.

EH28YFo.jpg
    Taranis wrote: »

It's good otherwise though, right? As long as I can get a decent extended warranty, I'm not too worried about possible mechanical failures. Else I'd never buy another razer product again.

That's a great idea regardless. There's nothing razer makes that some other company doesn't make a much better version.

camo_sig2.png

That's a great idea regardless. There's nothing razer makes that some other company doesn't make a much better version.

If not for the Razer Naga 2014 I'd agree with you.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

It's not the same thing, but I have an x52 and it's pretty great. It hasn't broken on me yet, even with being bought used and having multiple cats knock it off my desk while I'm at work.

JtgVX0H.png
    Only 9 more days till the Elite Dangerous standard beta opens up. I can't wait, we'll get 50+ systems to explore, new ships, new functions, missions (that can actually impact the universe for everyone) all that jazz.
    Really glad I got this game and my HOTAS X.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

If not for the Razer Naga 2014 I'd agree with you.

My Razer Diamondback is the only mouse I found that doesn't make my wrist flare up.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Lind wrote: »
    Looks like me and some friends are going to play Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator this weekend :smile: I forsee horrible failures while blaming others, ie a good time.

I wish I could play more Artemis. It's a blast.

Favorite run was one time the group had enough people/equipment to run a two-ship scenario. By the end it was myself and one other person running a missile frigate while the rest were playing a cruiser. We in the missile frigate were supremely effective. Operating almost as a detached ship, we'd fly around and take care of threats independently or act as the opening punch and the Cruiser would fly in and mop up.

Possible I'll be able to play Artemis next weekend. Looking forward to it.

Quoting myself because I was able to play Artemis on the 19th. Though I actually spent more time helping out and running the Artemis event (it was setup at a local library as part of a community thing.) I really enjoyed telling people about Artemis and watching new players try the game out.

Much fun was had. I did run one (successful) mission as the captain. I also watched as a group completed one too many battery overcharge missions, resulting in the complete destruction of the ship. So that was hilarious. Overall, it was a pretty good success and I hope at least a handful of the people that were introduced to the game take a look at it or maybe other space-sims.

PS. I did learn that Artemis is up on steam for 6 bucks and change. There's also a six-pack available for $34. Six copies of the game is enough for each station and a main server client. :)

steam_sig.png
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Artemis is a great game for a bunch of drunk geeks. It's basically Enterprise Simulator, and wow what a bunch of silly fun.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Lind wrote: »
    Looks like me and some friends are going to play Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator this weekend :smile: I forsee horrible failures while blaming others, ie a good time.

I wish I could play more Artemis. It's a blast.

Favorite run was one time the group had enough people/equipment to run a two-ship scenario. By the end it was myself and one other person running a missile frigate while the rest were playing a cruiser. We in the missile frigate were supremely effective. Operating almost as a detached ship, we'd fly around and take care of threats independently or act as the opening punch and the Cruiser would fly in and mop up.

Possible I'll be able to play Artemis next weekend. Looking forward to it.

Quoting myself because I was able to play Artemis on the 19th. Though I actually spent more time helping out and running the Artemis event (it was setup at a local library as part of a community thing.) I really enjoyed telling people about Artemis and watching new players try the game out.

Much fun was had. I did run one (successful) mission as the captain. I also watched as a group completed one too many battery overcharge missions, resulting in the complete destruction of the ship. So that was hilarious. Overall, it was a pretty good success and I hope at least a handful of the people that were introduced to the game take a look at it or maybe other space-sims.

PS. I did learn that Artemis is up on steam for 6 bucks and change. There's also a six-pack available for $34. Six copies of the game is enough for each station and a main server client. :)
    I imagine something like Kerbal Space Program, except with different people to do things like map a course, give the ship the right heading, manage the engines, etc.

...that may be the literal definition of super-hell. Probably because of all the inevitable fire.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    It's much much simpler than KSP; really, the only role with a degree of complexity (other than Captain) is Engineer. The other roles are basically click a few buttons.

It's the interaction (if you're going "everything must be commanded") that makes it fun. Although you can go far as an engineer if you're seated behind the weapons officer and helm stations so you can see their screens, and listen carefully to the captain.

Things can go wrong though when the captain doesn't say anything about needing to shoot down some incoming torpedoes and you've disabled the laser banks to divert power to the maneuvering thrusters.

Orca on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    So I finally picked up Void Destroyer and egads, this game is just a big ole god damn love letter to Homeworld 1, isn't it?

wWuzwvJ.png
    This right here is the best Elite: Dangerous video and a fantastic video in general. Everyone should check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODaiPJRyyxA

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • LouieLouie Registered User regular
    I just bought the elite beta. Someone lock away my card before I buy a flightstick and rift!

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Louie wrote: »
    I just bought the elite beta. Someone lock away my card before I buy a flightstick and rift!

The flightstick and the Rift will increase your overall level of happiness so much that you'll start performing better in school or work, get better jobs and promotions, and make more money. Honestly, you can't afford not to buy a HOTAS and Rift setup right now. Ask any financial planner and they'll tell you the same.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I haven't even purchased a Rift yet and my stocks have doubled in value just by saying I'd get one of the consumer models.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    The video has convinced me that selling my blood for PC parts would be a good thing to do.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    The video convinced me that good anti-aliasing is something that certain games really need.

The video convinced me that good anti-aliasing is something that certain games really need.

Currently the AA in the game is not implemented yet. Apparently the new beta could add it though. The AA options are there in the menu but they do nothing.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • LouieLouie Registered User regular
    I got myself a thrustmaster hotas x today. Will try it out tomorrow, may also use the powergrid app for more buttons!

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • LindLind Registered User regular
    While Rift most likely is badass if you want something a little cheaper then look for TrackIR. I use it for Arma/Dayz and simulator games. Its pretty neat.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Not to mention that TrackIR is available right now, requires much less horsepower to run, and is an established product that will likely have some amount of support for whatever you try to do with it.

No plans on getting one myself, but it's always seemed like a solid product to me.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Oh Goodness, fired up Terminus to see if I could get it to work with the gamepad
    started gauntlet
    realized how much I sucked or how much this bootleg copy from 8 years ago was configured wrong
    had my fuel line shot out on the third level, just floated there, waiting to die
    giddy with joy flipping through my systems powering off and on, hoping to get the thrusters online