As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Objective: Defend Convoy to New Space Sim Thread for 5:00 Minutes

• Options
    imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    You will eventually be able to walk around, but that will be in an expansion down the road. The first release is mainly focusing on flying ships, basically.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    Oh I'm sure there will be an autopilot module available. I'm really hoping for one too. It should make certain freebooting activities much easier if there are pilots droning around on autopilot.

Oh...yes I hadn't even thought of this. Muahahahaha!!

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Come back from getting a sandwich and find you're in a slow tumble, engines dead, and your ***hole hurts cargo hold is empty.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    f3rret wrote: »
    Also all pre-orders are getting the Mercenary edition that's packed with hot digital swag and an Eagle waiting for you in a dock.

edit: Unf
    peek_of_the_week_50.jpg?utm_source=Elite%3A+Dangerous+Newsletter&utm_campaign=e676783725-Elite_Dangerous_Newsletter_41&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_eb767c006f-e676783725-303126261

Is this concept art? Or can you actually get out of the seat and walk around in your ship?

Yeah, the expansions will add this feature and more. Relevant section of the E:D Faq.
    The expansions include significant new features such as seamless freeform (manual pitch/yaw/roll) atmospheric flight and landings and on-foot and out-of-ship activities (such as FPS combat, walking around and boarding ships, walking in stations and walking and driving vehicles on full 1:1 scale populated living planets), multi-player crew and player executive controlled capital ships.

edit: And I'm pretty sure that's the concept art for the Courier's cockpit. The concept art has been dead on in translation into game. If anything the in-game stuff is even better.

Drake on
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Didn't PGI say that they were offered or had offered to buy the property but never actually did it?

I don't think they ever claimed to have owned the franchise.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Didn't PGI say that they were offered or had offered to buy the property but never actually did it?

I don't think they ever claimed to have owned the franchise.

They explicitly claimed to own it in an official announcement by the creative director on the Transverse forums.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    I let @Gokerz‌ play Elite a little bit, and came back to enough money to buy an Eagle, whee! I didn't even think about it, but this thing has a different cockpit... now I want all of them.

So, before I do anything too stupid - how do I insure a ship? :D

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Insurance is automatic in Elite. If (when) your ship gets destroyed you'll have several options to choose from, including ship plus loadout (minus cargo of course), just the ship itself and so on. And you'll always be able to get back into a trusty Sidewinder for free.

• Options
    Insurance is automatic in Elite. If (when) your ship gets destroyed you'll have several options to choose from, including ship plus loadout (minus cargo of course), just the ship itself and so on. And you'll always be able to get back into a trusty Sidewinder for free.

Ooh, alright. Good to know, thanks :)

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Just make sure you keep cash reserves on hand for the insurance payout.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Oh I'm sure there will be an autopilot module available. I'm really hoping for one too. It should make certain freebooting activities much easier if there are pilots droning around on autopilot.

Yup, pretty much Eve Online's old "you can autopilot around but risk getting bopped or just warp around manually and be mostly safe (barring any surprise warp bubbles)"

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Speaking of Eve's warp bubbles I really hope they put in an ambush style interdiction mechanic for players. Sure, I'm super fucking excited about supercruise pursuit and evasion, where you can soar down from above the ecliptic and knock your prey out of supercruise and then defeat them in a dogfight.

But I also really enjoyed Eve's 0.0 Bubble Blanket Parties where a gang could just sort of hang out and yuk it up while thrashing whatever gets caught in their wide net. And sussing out those parties, giving them the slip and then flipping them the bird while you cruise away unscathed is an incredible feeling too.

Basically I hope there is a small suite of various interdiction mechanics and counters.

• Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    Hey guys.
    This might be an odd request... I play games, and I have kids. I don't get to devote much of my time to games as what the kids dont take up, I usually devote to my wife. As a result, I've "dabbled" in Elite. I've done some of the scenarios (fuck that one where you have to be stealthy!) and done a few system jumps and trade runs. I've never had enough cash to upgrade my weapons, let alone my ship. My request is this:

I have a good solid evening coming up (as a start) where I could sit down and get into Elite. I'd love to. But I'm slightly paralysed by the vastness and possibility. If you had limited time, what would your "to do" list be? i.e. Go do some combat missions? Aggressively trade to at least upgrade to a better weapon (if so, what would the first step be?). I may also drop a small amount of cash on the HOTA X to enhance my experience beyond the very simple joystick I have.

TLDR:
    I dont have much time, if you had to be disciplined and set yourself some early game tasks to get in and experience Elite Dangerous beyond the starter experience, what would you do?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    https://transversegame.com/about/funding
    15 days to go guys, we can totally make it happen...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Fallingman wrote: »
    Hey guys.
    This might be an odd request... I play games, and I have kids. I don't get to devote much of my time to games as what the kids dont take up, I usually devote to my wife. As a result, I've "dabbled" in Elite. I've done some of the scenarios (fuck that one where you have to be stealthy!) and done a few system jumps and trade runs. I've never had enough cash to upgrade my weapons, let alone my ship. My request is this:

I have a good solid evening coming up (as a start) where I could sit down and get into Elite. I'd love to. But I'm slightly paralysed by the vastness and possibility. If you had limited time, what would your "to do" list be? i.e. Go do some combat missions? Aggressively trade to at least upgrade to a better weapon (if so, what would the first step be?). I may also drop a small amount of cash on the HOTA X to enhance my experience beyond the very simple joystick I have.

TLDR:
    I dont have much time, if you had to be disciplined and set yourself some early game tasks to get in and experience Elite Dangerous beyond the starter experience, what would you do?

If you want quick easy money, go to the LP 98-132 system and look for containers of gold floating around to scoop up. Once you're loaded up, be careful because it counts as stolen goods. Head to Freeport and go to the black market to sell it all for quick money. Rinse & repeat.

If you want to make money through trading, find lucrative routes and save up money to buy a Hauler, then keep doing the same thing but make more money per trip. If you enjoy space trucking, great! This is one of the fastest ways to build up your cash. Otherwise, just build up cash until you get bored, then get the best combat ship you can.

If you want to shoot things, I think it's currently pretty hard to build up cash through combat at the start. I'd do one of the above methods to get a combat ship and then switch gears, or alternately just keep playing the tutorial scenario combat missions to get quick shooty shooty fun. Next week's patch is supposed to bring more tutorial practice modes of some sort, so more instant action options may be coming with that.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

Well well looks like Backers of this game are the 1%.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    *snip*
    wonderpug wrote: »
    If you want quick easy money, go to the LP 98-132 system and look for containers of gold floating around to scoop up. Once you're loaded up, be careful because it counts as stolen goods. Head to Freeport and go to the black market to sell it all for quick money. Rinse & repeat.

If you want to make money through trading, find lucrative routes and save up money to buy a Hauler, then keep doing the same thing but make more money per trip. If you enjoy space trucking, great! This is one of the fastest ways to build up your cash. Otherwise, just build up cash until you get bored, then get the best combat ship you can.

If you want to shoot things, I think it's currently pretty hard to build up cash through combat at the start. I'd do one of the above methods to get a combat ship and then switch gears, or alternately just keep playing the tutorial scenario combat missions to get quick shooty shooty fun. Next week's patch is supposed to bring more tutorial practice modes of some sort, so more instant action options may be coming with that.

Awesome advice - thanks!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Well well looks like Backers of this game are the 1%.

Man they're closing in on 10k, that is a lot better than I expected them to do. Think they considered making it mandatory for their employees to pledge to bump up the numbers, or have they already thrown in the towel on the crowd-funding?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    When I don't have a lot of time in Elite to accomplish any kind of goal I'll just go sight-seeing instead. And sometimes when you are out there, looking for that next vista adventure happens.

• Options
    Now when I pirate somebody I want to just shrug and say, "adventure happens."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheflyingassTheflyingass Registered User regular
    Hey guys.

TLDR:

Alternatively, when starting out, the Eranin 2 federal distress beacon is probably the fastest way to get into a hauler. Pop into solo mode, pop federal fighters (join the eranin side), occasionally turn in vouchers and you'll have enough cash to buy a hauler for space trucking profits for the bigger ships.

• Options
    Hey guys.

TLDR:

Alternatively, when starting out, the Eranin 2 federal distress beacon is probably the fastest way to get into a hauler. Pop into solo mode, pop federal fighters (join the eranin side), occasionally turn in vouchers and you'll have enough cash to buy a hauler for space trucking profits for the bigger ships.

This is good advice for someone starting out, just make sure to listen to the bolded part. A lot of people camp this area in online just to pop Sidewinders all day.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Does anyone have any trade routes around Eranin they could recommend for making a quick buck? I've got around 50k now, could buy a Hauler, but my previous experience with it was rather unsatisfactory... the galaxy map isn't really very helpful either, especially with a Rift and joystick controls ;)

So, any tips?

Edit: found one, here: Domestic Appliances from Nang Ta-Khain to LHS 3236, and Consumer Electronics back the other way. Or Robotics/HE Suits if you're low on funds but don't have a full cargohold yet. Doable with a Hauler if you strip it of weapons and stop to refuel in G 239-25, otherwise deduct about 1K from the profits for distress call refueling.
    It's a bit of a chore until I can afford a Lakon Type 6 to do the trip in a single jump, but yay! Reliable money!

Kashaar on

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Game dev update: lasers and fire control!

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    The Transverse Kickstarter makes me think of this comic, and with PGI having the exact same lack of understanding of why it makes them horrible:
    i-FKNNKxh-1050x10000.jpg

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular

This is horrible.

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »

This is horrible.

I'm almost tempted to pledge a large sum of money just so they get the egg-on-face sensation of sending it back.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    So what I'm gathering from this train of thought is that PGI aren't offering any product at all?

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    So what I'm gathering from this train of thought is that PGI aren't offering any product at all?

Exactly. It reads like a complete scam.

Bubby on
  • Options
    idk from what I read they added a bullshit target to keep their money but their initial goal was to actually make a game

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Well once they hit that 500,000 dollar goal they'll only have another million to their 'space combat' goal.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    BYToady wrote: »
    Well once they hit that 500,000 dollar goal they'll only have another million to their 'space combat' goal.

Nah, combat is at 2 million.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Hell, they don't even bother with a flight model for less than a cool million

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    It's really funny, and shitty, that the point at which they keep the backers' money is so far from the point at which they deliver a functional game.

Nothing about this was well planned.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    Yeah I can't remember what SC's original goals were, but I'm sure they were a step above "the most basic mechanics for a spaceship game" at $3 000 000

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Roberts had other funding sources available before the crowdfunding blew the roof off that budgetorium, but the initial funding level was five hundred grand to get the game made. That would've been an entire game, with both the singleplayer and multiplayer parts. However, the actual budget would've been much larger than that $500k, because of the money that was available to Roberts elsewhere (though it's no longer needed).

Which means that SC has gotten a budget more than one hundred times larger from crowdfunding sources than the original goal, with the added bonus that the game is reliant on not one single publisher to stick their dick in the mix and fuck things up.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Roberts had other funding sources available before the crowdfunding blew the roof off that budgetorium, but the initial funding level was five hundred grand to get the game made. That would've been an entire game, with both the singleplayer and multiplayer parts. However, the actual budget would've been much larger than that $500k, because of the money that was available to Roberts elsewhere (though it's no longer needed).

Which means that SC has gotten a budget more than one hundred times larger from crowdfunding sources than the original goal, with the added bonus that the game is reliant on not one single publisher to stick their dick in the mix and fuck things up.

I want to say he had about $10 million in investors lined up.

• Options
    Yeah, it was measurable in at least a number of millions. Enough off a budget to actually make something, but nothing crazy.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I've been relaying this story to my non-gamer brother as the story of the copycats.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Here's the thing. I don't have any beef with PGI as mechwarrior was never on my radar. But I am aware of just how burned their backers feel after years of dealing with the company. That being said, I wouldn't be adverse to funding their game if I thought they had to chops to deliver. Word is Chris Roberts sank one million of his own money in the original tech demo that was first shown. PGI doesn't have that kind of drive or passion. Hell their trailer was only exceptional in the fact that it is utterly uninteresting. It doesn't help that their funding goals are a goddamned joke.

They've only got 100 backers and 10 grand. It isn't anywhere near enough for the project they've proposed. I say go back to drawing board, make some actual content to show they're serious and maybe people will take interest. It seems more likely they'll go bankrupt first, can't run a development company with only one source of income and their reputation is pretty much poison now. Too bad, I'd like to see the market expand even more.

"I see everything twice!"