As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox Live Thread] - go to the new thread!

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Deer God is pretty poop, isn't it.

Reminded me to do some Project Spark again, though. Such a shame that didn't hit bigger.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Good lord these mandatory installs are brutal.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Well that's a hell of an Elite bundle - 1TB SSHD Xbox One plus Elite controller

Man, I just bought a 1tb MCC collection Xbox. Had I known this would exist, I would have totally splurged to upgrade to an SSD and get an elite controller instead of the a bunch of Halo games I only wanted to check out for the novelty.

Eh. From the writeup, it's 20% faster boot times, which... Yay. Woo. Doesn't say anything about GAME load times, just standby->on times. Frankly, my damn "smart" tv takes longer to boot than my Xbox.

Edit: It's not a full SSD, it's a hybrid, and not in the Apple Fusion drive sense, I imagine. Better, but still not OMGWTF.

dporowski on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    The price is good considering it comes with an Elite controller. The SSHD is nice but nothing to really get excited about.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Reminded me to do some Project Spark again, though. Such a shame that didn't hit bigger.

It's a really niche and artsy kind of game... just watched gameplay footage. The visual style is something along the lines of voxels but it seemed kind of wasted... idk.

Also you guys should try Blues and Bullets Episode 1. The first episode is a little rough, but with more experience I can see it getting better. Particularly if you're into Neo-noir with Tarantino/Rodriguez leanings. IDK.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular

It's a really niche and artsy kind of game... just watched gameplay footage. The visual style is something along the lines of voxels but it seemed kind of wasted... idk.

Also you guys should try Blues and Bullets Episode 1. The first episode is a little rough, but with more experience I can see it getting better. Particularly if you're into Neo-noir with Tarantino/Rodriguez leanings. IDK.

Yeah, I don't really get it. You just seem to run in a circle. Maybe it will open up more later after you unlock more powers?

It seems like a half complete retro platformer with an RPG system shoehorned on top of it, with all of the quests in it being, run in a circle headbutting things just like you were doing before the quest started.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »

Man, I just bought a 1tb MCC collection Xbox. Had I known this would exist, I would have totally splurged to upgrade to an SSD and get an elite controller instead of the a bunch of Halo games I only wanted to check out for the novelty.

Eh. From the writeup, it's 20% faster boot times, which... Yay. Woo. Doesn't say anything about GAME load times, just standby->on times. Frankly, my damn "smart" tv takes longer to boot than my Xbox.

Edit: It's not a full SSD, it's a hybrid, and not in the Apple Fusion drive sense, I imagine. Better, but still not OMGWTF.

Going purely but what I've seen/read--dropping an actual SSD into an Xbox One, besides probably crippling your available real estate for games (that, or you're going to spend more than what the console cost by itself), is far into the area of diminishing returns. The console itself can't really take advantage of the speed boost like a PC would. Simultaneously, plugging an SSD into a USB 3.0 would net you very similar performance, because the console's own bottleneck isn't far removed from USB 3.0's.

On the other hand, that's largely speculative. If someone's actually dropped a genuine SSD into their Xbox One (there are certainly ways to do it) and enlighten us on the performance change, please do.

I've heard the same thing about the Playstation 4, albeit more often: there are obviously more consoles out there, and since the PS4 has a straightforward way to swap hard drives, there have been lots of cases of trying it. By and large, they seem rather disappointing, with performance not being that much improved from a high-performance HDD (at least, relative to the cost). Maybe that's changed in the last few months?

I ended up buying a relatively inexpensive 7200 RPM external drive. Obviously, there is the disadvantage that it needs its own power source, and can get loud, but my research suggested performance noticeably improved from a 5400 RPM passport drive (while being no more expensive for the size).

That's just what I've found out trawling google though. Hopefully that hybrid drive does feel noticeably faster on loading.

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular

Kind of surprised there's no Kinect.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Why would you be surprised there's no Kinect in a bundle targetting hardcore gamers when it's been those types of gamers that have been the loudest about there being a required Kinect back at launch?

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    looks like there's a little boost to the BC catalogue, with Borderlands now available for those in the preview program.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    looks like there's a little boost to the BC catalogue, with Borderlands now available for those in the preview program.

I wonder if it supports DLC.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »

What's frustrating is, I have all the DLC installed on a 360 (never played it), but don't have the disc that it was on any more. So I'm damned even if it does support it.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Arteen wrote: »

i don't think they've added DLC support yet, but its been mentioned that they are working on it and that it 'should work as expected'. hopefully it'll be up and running when the feature goes live in November.

• Options
    I would have sworn I got invited to the preview program, but I don't have access and I can't find an email about it. Is there somewhere I might be faliing to look?

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I would have sworn I got invited to the preview program, but I don't have access and I can't find an email about it. Is there somewhere I might be faliing to look?

Look in your Xbox messages if you haven't yet

• Options

i don't think the invite gets you in right away, it may take some time between getting the invite and getting in. also, they're apparently cutting back on the number of people they'll be allowing in so don't get those hopes to high just yet.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/access-to-xbox-one-preview-program-just-got-more-d/1100-6430030/

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Invite for me? Legacyx4

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    Got smartglass working. Booting up my Xbox via my ipad is delightfully dumb.

Tried Windows 10 streaming. Xbox is wired into the wireless router/dsl modem combo, PC is using a USB 802.11g adapter. Not only was it totally playable, but I was actually doing quite well playing Gears of War Ultimate Edition on the hardest difficulty mode. Color me impressed. Plus now I can play when my roommate is using the TV, which is super awesome.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Wow, Borderlands works really well via BC. First BC game I've seen though where taking screenshots and clips are outright blocked though, usually they just disable sharing them.

I wonder why.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    oh and for those wondering, it is looking likely that DLC will be supported when BC goes live in November. the Borderlands announcement even gives a vague mention of it.
    If you own Borderlands, you’ll be able to play it on your Xbox One and you can carry over your previously-saved files, game add-ons and achievements.

whether we'll see that added to the preview build before then is anyone's guess, but i'd imagine that they'd want to test it out before the full launch if only briefly.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    @Wraith260 I can confirm that the BC preview version contains all four of the DLC, even though I only ever bought just the three of them (not 'Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot').

So it looks like that, (at least for now, for testing), they're just bundling all of the DLC in with the game for free. It might get taken away again in November.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    @Wraith260 I can confirm that the BC preview version contains all four of the DLC, even though I only ever bought just the three of them (not 'Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot').

So it looks like that, (at least for now, for testing), they're just bundling all of the DLC in with the game for free. It might get taken away again in November.

Oh that is awesome. I'll for sure be giving that a try tonight.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    I hope that stays the case. I got the first two DLCs through the add-on disk and was worried I'd have to repurchase.

• Options
    perhaps they're using Borderlands to test out the DLC situation and make sure everything is working as intended. anyone with Mass Effect want to have a look and see if the DLC for it has been made available? i'd expect an announcement if it was a full roll out, but might be worth a check anyway.

knowing that it's all available and working well i'm kinda tempted to buy it now. my only experience with a Borderlands game has been the Tell Tale series which i've loved.

• Options
    I'm at work, so I can't check myself if this is going to happen or not, but this game absolutely needs to make it to Xbox Live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_niaSOzi20

I don't mind buying it on Steam, but this strikes me as a near-perfect console time waster.

• Options
    perhaps they're using Borderlands to test out the DLC situation and make sure everything is working as intended. anyone with Mass Effect want to have a look and see if the DLC for it has been made available? i'd expect an announcement if it was a full roll out, but might be worth a check anyway.

knowing that it's all available and working well i'm kinda tempted to buy it now. my only experience with a Borderlands game has been the Tell Tale series which i've loved.

Borderlands is story-light but still a great game. Borderlands 2 does a much better job of fleshing out the characters and telling a story. It's excellent. Pre-Sequel isn't quite as good as BL2, but it fleshes out the characters even better and has a surprising number of ties to what goes on in Tales.

• Options
    do you own Castle Crashers on the 360? do you want to own more Castle Crashers? then good news!!
    9xf7pfgm8kpt.png
    Castle Crashers Remastered on Xbox One will be $14.99 which is our usual cost of admission for this classic game baby. However…if you’ve previously owned Castle Crashers on Xbox 360, you shall receive our Thank-You-For-Saving-Our-Lives-That-One-Time special price of FREE THROUGH SEPTEMBER 20th with current Xbox Live Gold membership. Be sure to scoop it up early if you want to take advantage of that awesomeness. $0.00 for our game feels like a pretty good deal to me!!!!! (I’m not much of a businessman though!!!!)

The good news is starting September 21, 2015 we’ll still have a loyalty discount for Xbox One owners, which will bring CCR’s cost down to only $5.00 if you’ve owned it before. This special $5 price is available for any Xbox Live Gold members who are previous owners of Castle Crashers on Xbox 360.

http://blog.thebehemoth.com/2015/09/04/ccrreleasedate/?linkId=16823597

so yeah, free or cheap Castle Crashers Remastered for those that owned it on the 360.

• Options
    nathanaelnathanael Registered User regular
    Can anyone toss me a preview invite too? Someone said they did about a month back but it never went through.

King Space Pope

Thanks!

You and Obsolete Paper both! I swear I sent you guys invites. I wonder why they didn't go through.

This my Gamertag— NathanaelPM
    This is my PSN ID— Radthanael
  • Options

i don't think the invite gets you in right away, it may take some time between getting the invite and getting in. also, they're apparently cutting back on the number of people they'll be allowing in so don't get those hopes to high just yet.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/access-to-xbox-one-preview-program-just-got-more-d/1100-6430030/

It'd be over 30 days old, so gone forever.

• Options
    For the first time I can remember, I actually got useful information from a Youtube ad (though that doesn't redeem the shitty console Youtube console app Xbox One and PS4 seem to have)--Evolve was free for the three-day weekend (ending today), and I hadn't been aware of that previously.

I was busy for the Saturday and Sunday, so I only got a AI matches in, but having done 5 qualifying matches today--I'm really enjoying it! The asymmetrical multiplayer works surprising well, even if one or two people drop (AI seems vaguely competent, at least to my amateur senses), the game has a lot of character, and is a good bit more comprehensive than when I played it during the beta. I may grab it for $19.99 new on Amazon after the event ends.

• Options
    Evolve was/is a good game saddled with far too much expensive DLC. It really put me off buying it when it first came out.
    I enjoyed what little I played of it during the free weekend, too, though, so I might not delete it just yet.

• Options
    Evolve was fun enough, but even after only a few matches they started feeling samey. Also way too much downtime between matches.

• Options
    Evolve had enough DLC that I'm surprised they just didn't make it FTP.

• Options
    if anyone did take advantage of Evolve being free over the weekend and want more of it, its currently 50% Live Gold members. pretty smart to follow up the trial with a heavy discount like that.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    it was free/50% off all weekend on steam too

I hear the community is mega dead on PC though

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »

but... if it's not COD, a Valve Shooter made before steam, or minecraft aren't game populations on PC generally short-lived?

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »

but... if it's not COD, a Valve Shooter made before steam, or minecraft aren't game populations on PC generally short-lived?

I think the bigger problem is the amount of DLC pissed people off

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Ah, idk. I didn't get into Evolve. :pop:

Been dicking around with capture more thanks to Mad Max and for the past few days the top trending videos when I load the app have been for a guy that does stupid stuff in battlefield(?) while talking in a faux African immigrant accent or a horrible approximation thereof.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    PSA: If you own the 360 version of Castle Crashers, starting tomorrow you'll be able to get the Xbox One remaster for free (if you have gold). Offer ends on the 20th.
    Castle Crashers Remastered on Xbox One will be $14.99 which is our usual cost of admission for this classic game baby. However…if you’ve previously owned Castle Crashers on Xbox 360, you shall receive our Thank-You-For-Saving-Our-Lives-That-One-Time special price of FREE THROUGH SEPTEMBER 20th with current Xbox Live Gold membership. Be sure to scoop it up early if you want to take advantage of that awesomeness. $0.00 for our game feels like a pretty good deal to me!!!!! (I’m not much of a businessman though!!!!)

The good news is starting September 21, 2015 we’ll still have a loyalty discount for Xbox 360 owners of Castle Crashers, which will bring CCR’s cost down to only $5.00 if you’ve owned it before. This special $5 price is available for any Xbox Live Gold members who are previous owners of Castle Crashers on Xbox 360.
    http://blog.thebehemoth.com/2015/09/04/ccrreleasedate/

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    I could have sworn I owned Castle Crashers but the remaster is not coming up free. Has anyone had any luck with this?