As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tattoos

h3nduh3ndu Registered User regular
edited July 2013 in Help / Advice Forum
So.

I've always loved tattoos - Since I was younger I could always see myself with them. I find them attractive, expressive, and unique (for the most part - the world is chock full of awful ones.) I've drawn hundreds of tattoos - many for friends, and have done tattoo work for others (like actually bought the equipment and performed the work.), and have multiple tattoo pieces that I have drawn out and wanted to have done for a few years now.

Something is holding me back though. I think, part of it is a religious thing. I grew up LDS, and still practice. Culturally, it's very much frowned upon - but I know that's not my real problem, as I don't really give a flying fuck what strangers think of the way I look. I do care what my family feels, but I know they respect me as an adult and as an independent person. I think, there is a part of me that feels like it would have spiritual impacts on me, but I can't really quantify that in any way - I mean, everyone deals with regret from choices in life, and while I don't think I personally would ever feel regret from getting work done, there is a part of me that feels like I would in some way regret it eventually, and I can't figure out why.

On a related note, job wise, the Army is starting to get more and more stringent on regulations in regards to tattoos - anything that would show while wearing a PT uniform will likely, in the next few years, be enough to stall a career - which in end effect would kill a career (either up or out.)

I was just hoping for some useful insight into having gotten work done, what personal feelings people might have about their own pieces, how it has impacted them as individuals, and socially (work etc.).

Thanks!

Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea.
h3ndu on

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I got mine (right outside forearm) done in Singapore before the military/Navy regs hit. It's the kanji for Bushido since I was military and big into Japanese culture (and my heritage). I figured it would be there to "guide my sword arm".

I don't completely regret it (I am forced to wear long sleeves forum security jobs, and we're in the middle of a heat wave), and barring the stupid questions/remarks ("What's that say? Are you sure it's not <derogatory statement>?" I translated it myself, and while the characters aren't Japanese, every native speaking Asian (Chinese, Japan, Singapore, Korean) all recognize it.)

If I were to go back, I'd probably get it on left chest instead, over my heart.

newSig.jpg
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    I like my tattoos, but I say this to anyone who asks me about getting one; wait a year and then see if you still want it.

• h3nduh3ndu Registered User regular
    815165 wrote: »
    I like my tattoos, but I say this to anyone who asks me about getting one; wait a year and then see if you still want it.

Some of the designs, I have had since high school (eight years +), and while slightly revamped in some ways, I still want them.

But I have still not gotten them.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    They are pretty frowned-upon in my religion too (Jewish), and that is probably the only thing that's held me back - not because I've always been very religious, but because someday I may be, and if I did end up going down that path I would almost certainly regret it. It's something I may do someday anyway, but there would have to be one design and artist I was so in love with that I couldn't see my life without their work on me. I've had one or the other at points, but I really feel like those need to align before I actually do it. That's how I feel.

In any case, I've never heard someone say "I really regret not getting that tattoo." I'm sure it's happened, I've just never heard anyone say it.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah personal reasons are the biggest barriers to tattoo getting.

If I still wanted one, and was weary of it because of family or social outfalling, I'd probably get it somewhere that's super easy to cover. Church members aren't likely to see my shoulder or back or chest or legs, so, they make the most obvious choices.

This is just my personal opinion, anyways, but if someone is willing to shun you because of something you decide to do to yourself or with your own body, they aren't worth having in your life. Regardless of my opinions on tattoos or weird ass piercings.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I got my tattoos above the sleave of a T-Shirt so that they can be concealed if necessary. Generally most people dig it, women are more pro-tattoo then men in my experience. So if you are concerned about them for career reasons keep them above your elbow and they will be fine.

For non career reasons, make sure you get one on each arm or on each side. Lack of symetry bothered me when I had just one.

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    I love my tattoo, and I'll be honest I had a bunch of designs floating around in my head for years but as soon as I saw the piece of artwork it's based off of, I knew I wanted it permanently on my body. Its on my right shoulderblade, so generally very easy to cover, and those coworkers who have seen it have been nothing but complimentary.

My only regret at the moment is that I don't have more.

• GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    h3ndu wrote: »
    So.

I've always loved tattoos - Since I was younger I could always see myself with them. I find them attractive, expressive, and unique (for the most part - the world is chock full of awful ones.) I've drawn hundreds of tattoos - many for friends, and have done tattoo work for others (like actually bought the equipment and performed the work.), and have multiple tattoo pieces that I have drawn out and wanted to have done for a few years now.

Something is holding me back though. I think, part of it is a religious thing. I grew up LDS, and still practice. Culturally, it's very much frowned upon - but I know that's not my real problem, as I don't really give a flying fuck what strangers think of the way I look. I do care what my family feels, but I know they respect me as an adult and as an independent person. I think, there is a part of me that feels like it would have spiritual impacts on me, but I can't really quantify that in any way - I mean, everyone deals with regret from choices in life, and while I don't think I personally would ever feel regret from getting work done, there is a part of me that feels like I would in some way regret it eventually, and I can't figure out why.

On a related note, job wise, the Army is starting to get more and more stringent on regulations in regards to tattoos - anything that would show while wearing a PT uniform will likely, in the next few years, be enough to stall a career - which in end effect would kill a career (either up or out.)

I was just hoping for some useful insight into having gotten work done, what personal feelings people might have about their own pieces, how it has impacted them as individuals, and socially (work etc.).

Thanks!

I'm happy with all three of my tattoos, but none of them are outrageously in-your-face, or in hyper-visible spots (left wrist, right ankle, and chest over the heart, respectively).

Consider picking the smallest of the ones you have designed and ready-to-go, and getting it somewhere that's not usually visible to the public eye (or is easily hidden).

I will say that getting the first one helped me feel like I was taking more complete ownership of who I was. It was definitely a positive experience for me.

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • h3nduh3ndu Registered User regular
    Griswold wrote: »
    So.

Thanks!

I'm happy with all three of my tattoos, but none of them are outrageously in-your-face, or in hyper-visible spots (left wrist, right ankle, and chest over the heart, respectively).

Consider picking the smallest of the ones you have designed and ready-to-go, and getting it somewhere that's not usually visible to the public eye (or is easily hidden).

I will say that getting the first one helped me feel like I was taking more complete ownership of who I was. It was definitely a positive experience for me.

A lot of what I have designed are medium size pieces - a few large - not so many small; I think though, that I could easily start out with a section of a sleeve I designed - the shoulder. I just need to break that mental block.

I have a forearm piece designed for my left arm that is entirely words and would be easy to do in sections, but that's not going to happen until I retire for sure.

• Arithon32Arithon32 Member of the Pinquisition Registered User regular
    I've got one on each arm, up above the bicep so that a T-shirt sleeve can cover them. I know what you mean about the mental block, I waffled on the first one for a while before my wife got me to go in and get it done. I always wanted one, but never thought I'd be interested in getting multiple tattoos until I got my first one. Once I had the one, though, I immediately started thinking of what I wanted to get on the other arm

vru37z14gk5j.png

• Limp mooseLimp moose Registered User regular
    My best advice I give to everyone is do not get your first one anywhere that can't be covered up by boxers and a T-shirt. Very few jobs will ever require you to wear less than that.

I have several. One on each bicep one on my foot and one on my right hip.

The only regret I have is the one I got on my foot didn't heal properly and the bottom of the tat ink came off so the temple dog has no feet. I have never bothered to get it fixed because well It is small and no one really ever notices. But I wish I had taken better care of it while it was healing.

While drunk in tokyo years ago I lost a bet and have a rainbow colored Pegasus unicorn done in hello kitty style on my hip. Most people assume I hate it but in reality its a great conversation piece when someone sees it and every morning in the shower that happy little unicorn Pegasus is smiling up at me and sort of makes me feel like today is going to be ok!

• BruanBruan Registered User regular

Thanks!

You know, I've heard that talk about the Army and tattoos my entire time. I think it's mostly because we have way too many dudes in the army and the army is doing everything it can to kick dudes out. I've seen a handful of leaders (senior NCOs and officers) with sleeves/quarters/leg tattoos that are doing fine. I would try to keep it decent, though. Not showing in PTs is the way to go. During the wars, there were entire units tattooing SSNs and blood types on their ribs because it was such a meat grinder. Also - dont get anything on your neck or hands.

Please, for the love of God, do not get any of the following, because people will make fun of you:
    airborne wings (unless you did a combat jump or something)
    m-16 on the neck
    division or higher headquarters.

i must caveat this with an old-timey story my dad told me. (vietnam era) He said, back in the day, where was a general who, when he was enlisted, had tattoos on his hands. When he became an officer, he had that removed the hard way, so he became an officer with crazy scars on his hand. You never know how stuff will change.

Playstation: Anthai (Destiny)
    WiiU: jooncole (Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate)
    3DS: 2122-5983-8919
  • BruanBruan Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Double post, how the hell do I delete this?!

Bruan on
    Playstation: Anthai (Destiny)
    WiiU: jooncole (Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate)
    3DS: 2122-5983-8919
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Bruan wrote: »
    Double post, how the hell do I delete this?!
    Finally, a question I can answer!
    In short, you can't delete a post. You can edit it to say it was a double post, but it's there forever.
    But it's cool, we've learned to live with the double posts, and the occasional triple post.

• ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    zepherin wrote: »
    I got my tattoos above the sleave of a T-Shirt so that they can be concealed if necessary. Generally most people dig it, women are more pro-tattoo then men in my experience. So if you are concerned about them for career reasons keep them above your elbow and they will be fine.

For non career reasons, make sure you get one on each arm or on each side. Lack of symetry bothered me when I had just one.

I have one on my right shoulder, and this is absolutely true. If you have a job that you think would frown upon tattoos (either now or in the future), then put the tattoo in an easily hidden place.

My story: I have never regretted my tattoo. It also holds a special place of significance in my heart because it helped me meet an old classmate of mine and then marry her a year and a half later.

We had a mutual friend that commented on a picture of my tattoo. She saw that he commented on said photo and contacted me through Facebook with a friend request. We had gone to the same elementary school, high school and college and had never been very close, but we had crushes on each other from afar without ever acting on them. The power of my tattoo and the power of the internet brought us together. I will never regret having it on my arm.

I also grew up a pretty religious family and I'm a Christian myself, but I never had any spiritual issues with putting ink in my skin. I put up with a little bit of backlash from some members of my family, but I ignored them. I don't feel the need to justify myself to them when I know God doesn't care.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • awesomeguy2awesomeguy2 Registered User new member
    I have 4 tattoos:
    1: half a sleeve from shoulder to elbow
    2: on each arm
    3: on my hip

I want to complete my half sleeve to a full sleeve and maybe do more on my leg....i do tattoos when something important happened that i want to immortal it. like my wedding...death of someone close...something good...etc..although tattoos are sometimes visible, i think a tattoo is something that is very personal and most of the time a tattoo will signify something important to the person who did it. Just my 2 cents IDK :|

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    @awesomeguy2 dont bump threads from years ago.

This discussion has been closed.