As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Legend of Korra] BOOK 3 BEGINS! (NSF-Spoilerbenders) Also, there's a game now.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Man the next Avatar is fuuuuuucked

kidding
    mostly

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Can we get some applause to the fact that Mako is no longer dating Korra or Asami and that stupid love triangle is no longer the B plot?
    A dynamic of the next Avatar being a little more pacifistic and Korra just encouraging them to punch more things would be pretty alright.

Like Aang wishing he never asked Kyoshi anything only all the time.

Where's that tumblr art of Kyoshi being all "Seeing your enemies driven before you and hearing the lamination of their women."

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Can we get some applause to the fact that Mako is no longer dating Korra or Asami and that stupid love triangle is no longer the B plot?

I actually wouldn't mind if it returned, as long as they were a little more subtle about it. I felt like in Season 1 they took what should have been a simple romance subplot for the story they're telling (essentially, Mako and Korra fall in love) and crammed in Asami love triangle for arbitrary conflict where it wasn't necessary (if they needed conflict, how about Mako not wanting to risk his relationship with his brother, or the possibility of a failed romance hurting the pro-bending team). With more breathing room and some more time to develop naturally (i.e. with 3 seasons) it would have been perfectly serviceable. Basically just do the Aang and Katara thing again, I guess? That seemed to work pretty well. Like, if they just dropped some hints in Season 4 that maybe Korra and Mako are still into each other, and in the last scene, Mako says something like "hey, do you wanna give it another try?" then that'd be fine.

Korrasami is the only acceptable season 4 relationship.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Man the next Avatar is fuuuuuucked

kidding
    mostly

You know, last season, I probably would have dropped the kidding. Not even saying it was bad, just... Korra didn't think things through. Ever. At all. She's really gotten her head in the game this season.

Man, though. The dynamics with a less violence inclined avatar would be amazing. Korra would simultaneously be an amazing resource on the practical aspects of the job (possibly the greatest combat bender of all time, expert in three elements by three years, first metalbending avatar), and the absolute last person they'd want to consult.

• Options
    I'm seriously joking, who knows where korra will end up by the end of her career

But the loss of all of the other lives does suck

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I'm seriously joking, who knows where korra will end up by the end of her career

Dead?

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    A dynamic of the next Avatar being a little more pacifistic and Korra just encouraging them to punch more things would be pretty alright.

Makes me think of a line in DBZ abridged

Nail in Piccolo's mind: Maybe you should try punching it harder
    Piccolo: That sounds like something Goku would say
    Nail: Yeah, and remember that time that you've never beaten him?

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

But the loss of all of the other lives does suck

I feel like they'll be back but right now Korra needs to follow her own path not constantly seek guidance and this was a good way to do it and not have people go " hurr ask Aang" or whatever

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I do think it's interesting that when Korra is faced with more immediate and tangible problems, her "just punch the problem away!" approach appears to be much more reasonable.

I mean, obviously she's grown, but at the same time the plot for this season has largely ignored the larger issue of Harmonic Convergence in favor of the two tangential subplots - finding the new Airbenders and taking down Zaheer's team. Both of those issues are much more straightforward and can be tackled head-on.

Given how far we are in this season, I think they are going to save the Harmonic Convergence problem for Book 4.

You know, with how great this season has turned out, Books 1 and 2 may have been better served if they followed the same pattern and kept Amon as the Big Bad for both those seasons. This would have let them take their time with the characters and really dig into what they had set up: the problems with building a new multicultural (i.e., multi-bending society), the divide caused by benders vs. non-benders (and an increasingly technological world), and the encroachment of the spirit world into the physical one. All they had to do was keep Amon as a non-bender and have him want to "destroy" the spirit world (and hence bending).

I still feel like Amon was a huge waste of a bad guy and that they hand-waved away the non-bending movement. And don't get me started on how they wasted the Raava/Vaatu dichotomy and turned it into the standard Good vs. Evil story.

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Them not dating, has made everyone way more likeable.

That being said looking back I liked how messy that season 1 romance was. Felt authentic.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    korra has definitely grown up from how she advised that guy in the first episode and tenzin in Original Airbenders

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    NeoToma wrote: »
    Them not dating, has made everyone way more likeable.

That being said looking back I liked how messy that season 1 romance was. Felt authentic.

Also, noodle-drunk Bolin was pretty fantastic.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Bolin is generally fantastic.

• Options
    This is true.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    I do think it's interesting that when Korra is faced with more immediate and tangible problems, her "just punch the problem away!" approach appears to be much more reasonable.

I mean, obviously she's grown, but at the same time the plot for this season has largely ignored the larger issue of Harmonic Convergence in favor of the two tangential subplots - finding the new Airbenders and taking down Zaheer's team. Both of those issues are much more straightforward and can be tackled head-on.

Given how far we are in this season, I think they are going to save the Harmonic Convergence problem for Book 4.

You know, with how great this season has turned out, Books 1 and 2 may have been better served if they followed the same pattern and kept Amon as the Big Bad for both those seasons. This would have let them take their time with the characters and really dig into what they had set up: the problems with building a new multicultural (i.e., multi-bending society), the divide caused by benders vs. non-benders (and an increasingly technological world), and the encroachment of the spirit world into the physical one. All they had to do was keep Amon as a non-bender and have him want to "destroy" the spirit world (and hence bending).

I still feel like Amon was a huge waste of a bad guy and that they hand-waved away the non-bending movement. And don't get me started on how they wasted the Raava/Vaatu dichotomy and turned it into the standard Good vs. Evil story.

The problem with not dealing with the aftermath of the equalist movement was that they had no intention on following up on the first season.

it was supposed to be a self-contained 12 episode mini series.

Then nick (I assume) talked them into making more, so they basically scrambled together a story for season 2, which is what led to the shit that we got.

To be fair, it was still leagues better than most animated shows get especially when making shit up on the fly. But it didn't really hold up to the usual Avatar standards.

Goatmon on

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »

hey to be fair, he did kill him once.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »

The problem with not dealing with the aftermath of the equaliswt movement was that they ahd no intention on following up on the first season.

it was supposed to be a self-contained 12 episode mini series.

Then nick talked them into making more, so they basically scrambled together a story for season 2, which is what led to the shit that we got.

To be fair, it was still leagues better than most animated shows get especially when making shit up on the fly. But it didn't really hold up to the usual Avatar standards.
    The newly-elected President of Republic City was pretty much the creators' answer to the Equalist movement in S2. The 5 Bending Council Members were out, and an elected official (who apparently can't bend) is in.

sig.gif
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    One thing I am somewhat curious about is why Republic City is the only place we've seen overgrown by spirit world trees and whatnot.

And what on earth is going on with that aspect of the current situation.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »

Yeah but who hasn't

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    One thing I am somewhat curious about is why Republic City is the only place we've seen overgrown by spirit world trees and whatnot.

That's where the Kaiju Fight was so that's where those transformations have been concentrated.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »

That's where the Kaiju Fight was so that's where those transformations have been concentrated.

I guess that's possibly a thing, but as far as I can tell we haven't seen a single instance of it elsewhere at all. I'm wondering if it was just a plot device to give Korra even more reason to get out of Republic City. I mean, with the current big bads being seemly unrelated to the spirit world shenanigans, I'm really unsure as to whether or not they'll even resolve the sudden growths this season.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I vaguely recall giant glowy Kaiju guy attacking the city directly with spirit vines as well? So it could be some after-effect of that.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »

I guess that's possibly a thing, but as far as I can tell we haven't seen a single instance of it elsewhere at all. I'm wondering if it was just a plot device to give Korra even more reason to get out of Republic City. I mean, with the current big bads being seemly unrelated to the spirit world shenanigans, I'm really unsure as to whether or not they'll even resolve the sudden growths this season.

there were apparently invisible ambient spirits around the northern air temple, seeing as how jinora was able to just summon one out of thin air

I think the red lotus will end up being tied back to the vines in some way

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Probably has something to do with this Guru Lahima that Zaheer is so interested in

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I liked that
    when the bad guys busted in on sleeping Korra to kidnap her, her first thought was still "HIT IT WITH FIRE"

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    I liked that
    when the bad guys busted in on sleeping Korra to kidnap her, her first thought was still "HIT IT WITH FIRE"
    in her defense, they woke her up by shooting darts at her dog. Fire honestly seems like one of the more mild entries on the list of expected reactions to that sort of thing

• Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    Probably has something to do with this Guru Lahima that Zaheer is so interested in

Nah. Guru Lahima's thing is the secret to astral projection. It's how Zaheer is finding team avatar.

The whole "Let go of the world and step into the void" thing. It's the move that Jinora naturally intuited.

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    I thought Mako/Bolin's family mentioned spirit vines in the earth kingdom? maybe not?

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Narbus wrote: »
    Quoth wrote: »
    I liked that
    in her defense, they woke her up by shooting darts at her dog. Fire honestly seems like one of the more mild entries on the list of expected reactions to that sort of thing

You don't mess with someone's dog.

Goatmon on

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Kinda sad that the Earth Queen is such a jerk since her father(?) was such a nice dude.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Melding wrote: »

Yeah but who hasn't

Everyone but Cell and Piccolo.

Goatmon on

• Options
    Kinda sad that the Earth Queen is such a jerk since her father(?) was such a nice dude.

Yeah also

This is one of those things that I know was written as a one off joke/nod

but she ate her dad's best friend

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Oh God I forgot about that.

Yeah the Earth Queen really is the worst.

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular

Yeah also

Wait what?

• Options
    Moth 13 wrote: »

Yeah also

Wait what?
    She ate Bosco

• Options
    I believe one of the poachers mentioned it.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    I forget, is the earth queen the daughter of the previous Earth King? Was that said, or is she Queen by some other means?

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Also I'm pretty sure it was a platypus bear.

• Options
    bosco was a real bear bear

• Options
    Way to ruin the joke, Naph.

This discussion has been closed.