As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Anything one can do re: photo radar ticket?

DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
edited October 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
So as I understand it, no demerits or points are taken off your licence; it's just the fine (in this case a small $89 - Friend probably thought it was a 10km/h higher limit in the area than it is). It was 65 in a 50 km/h zone (40mph in a 31 for you yanks)

But I'm just curious to know if there's anything that can be done to make this go away easier OR if they just pay it and move on, as I've never had one before either.

Deusfaux on

• Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Do they actually show you the photo, or do they just mail you a bill and expect you to take their word for it?

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    2 photocopies of photos (or one zoomed of the first) of the rear of my car, and the 2nd of my licence plate

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I imagine you could inquire at your DMV (or your equivalent department) with regards to your rights. Check their website if they have one. It seems to me that if they have a picture of your car and your licence plate then they kind of have proof. But, then again, maybe the camera speed trigger was wonky that day? I don't know how the picture itself can prove speeding.

Sorry about this, it really sucks.

Oh, and that kitten...goddamn you.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The only time I ever saw one of these here was when my roommate and I drove to San Diego from LA and blew through a fastpass lane on a VERY misty day. He got out of it since you literally couldn't see where the hell you were going.

But in clear skies, I'd say you are probably just gonna have to pay it.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    The SaviorThe Savior Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Most people avoid these fines because the person who was driving the vehicle is not the person who the car is registered to. Conveniently, unless they also photographed the driver's face, there is no way to verify this.

The Savior on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The person above me wins in the correct answer to tell the court.

Elaborate by saying that all your friends know where you keep your keys and you have told them you are welcome to it.

In Western Australia the laws are being changed so that the owner of the car is responsible if they cannot prove who was driving so ymmv.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    it says "Section 160 (1) of the Traffic Safety Act states that the registered owner of a motor vehicle is responsible for any infraction under the Act, even if he (she) was not the driver at the time."

eh, looks like I'll just take my lump then

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    EverywhereasignEverywhereasign Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Not much you can do. Typically when you go to court you're trying to get out of the points. That's why people pay lawyers or "Ex-Coppers" more money then the ticket, just to get the points off. In your case, I'd just be happy there wasn't a cop behind the radar and pay it.

Everywhereasign on
    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"
  • Options
    JPArbiterJPArbiter Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    just pay the damn fine.

i do not know canadain law that well but in the US, every state demands rear liscence plates (so the police cna get your vehicle registry while chasing you) and obstructing them will increase the penalty.

glossing the plate with clearcoat or fingernail polish helps a little, but not much. best thing to do to avoid this is not speed more then 7 Kp/H over the limit

JPArbiter on
    Sinning since 1983
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The reason you don't get points is because they don't know who is driving. However, the fee is just attached to the car so the car owner pays that regardless.

shadowane on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    I got photo tagged in DC last Summer for running a red light, total bull crap. So I went in to dispute and they said I did nothing wrong and dismissed the case, all without me saying a single word! I say go in and dispute it if you want to save $$$.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Go e-town!

If yours has a court date, you can go and fight it. Well, not so much fight as plea, but it will lighten the fine. No demerit points yet for photo radars. Also, pay the fine before the date, or you'll be charged an additional late fee - you can't register your car or renew your license without paying your fines off first.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    JPArbiter wrote: »
    glossing the plate with clearcoat or fingernail polish helps a little, but not much. best thing to do to avoid this is not speed more then 7 Kp/H over the limit

Mythbusters says "not at all."

FYI ;)

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    KingMooKingMoo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What the hell! They send you a picture of you speeding?

Send them a picture of the money you owe them

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    !!!!▓▓▓▓▓Gravy?▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!
    !!!!!!▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!!!!
    of doom
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    KingMoo wrote: »
    What the hell! They send you a picture of you speeding?

Send them a picture of the money you owe them

That's an email chain letter my dad forwarded to me. This morning actually. The email said the cops responded by sending a picture of handcuffs back to the guy.

To the OP: They caught you speeding, they sent you a ticket and evidence. There's always a delay as they have to have an actual person look at all of the pictures to see which are viable. In other words, someone at the station has already looked at the pictures and is basically 100% positive that you deserve the ticket. So, in other words, this is like parking too close to a parking meter. You sped, they ticketed you, busted. Pay up, slow down in that area from now on.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    beatbeat Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    fight the ticket by trial by declaration, i was caught speeding and i got off my ticket, its also much easier than going to court, its a win win situation. You win you get your money back and you have a clean record, you lose just pay up and go to traffic court

beat on
  • Options
    KingMooKingMoo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    beat wrote: »
    fight the ticket by trial by declaration, i was caught speeding and i got off my ticket, its also much easier than going to court, its a win win situation. You win you get your money back and you have a clean record, you lose just pay up and go to traffic court

for most people it's a lose lose situation. Either you fight the ticket and win, but you lose a few hours at work. Or you fight the ticket and lose, but you still lose those hours of work

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    !!!!▓▓▓▓▓Gravy?▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!
    !!!!!!▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!!!!
    of doom
  • Options
    irnirn Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'd be more concerned if it affects your insurance premium. Insurance points and driving points are seperate.

irn on
    cashwore1.jpg