As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is Nintendo still repairing cracked hinges?

DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
Quick question, are they? I just noticed that my DS Lite, which I bought the day of release in the US, has the cracked hinge. Are they still doing the free repairs for these? I'd call but it's after hours and I'm curious.

Thanks.

Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
DHS Odium on

• Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think they have one year warranties. It dropped June 11 2006 in NA. You should be alright.

Also Nintendo Customer Service is usually excellent.
    Warranty Coverage (United States and Canada)

Nintendo systems carry a standard twelve-month warranty, which is one of the longest standard warranties in the video game industry. (The warranty for the Wii console can be extended an extra 90 days by registering it online. Click here for more information.) Games and accessories sold separately carry a three month warranty. The warranty covers any manufacturing or workmanship defects and these will be repaired at no charge.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Awesome, thanks.

This thread is done.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So here's a question. If I bought a DS, registered it, then had it replaced via a store's replacement plan, how do I update my info via Nintendo to show them "Hay Guyz, New Serial!".

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    JensenJensen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So here's a question. If I bought a DS, registered it, then had it replaced via a store's replacement plan, how do I update my info via Nintendo to show them "Hay Guyz, New Serial!".

Can't you just register the new one independent of the old?

Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    No, when I log in under my My Nintendo account it just says "Hey, thanks for Registering your DS!"

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Dude, my hinge just cracked this weekend.

Gonna go get it fix-ed. What's the process? I'll check nintendo.com for now.

Squashua on
  • Options
    PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Call them and they'll say to send it in and they'll need to inspect it. They'll send you the box for free in a few days.

If it's just the cracked hinge then it'll be covered by your warranty and the repair is free and you'll get it back in a week or so.

Pooch on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Do you get a new DS with new serial, or is the same hardware, just hinge replaced?

I'm mainly concerned about the serial number (for BB store warranty) and Friend Codes.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I tried through the online form and it is asking for $80, so I'm calling in, especially since it's not been a year.

Squashua on
  • Options
    StregoneStregone VA, USARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Pooch wrote: »
    Call them and they'll say to send it in and they'll need to inspect it. They'll send you the box for free in a few days.

If it's just the cracked hinge then it'll be covered by your warranty and the repair is free and you'll get it back in a week or so.

Does the repair prevent it from happening again though?

Stregone on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    No; it's the same system. Maaybe it's a different shell.

I called the rep, who was very nice, and he updated it to "under warranty", which he said it should have been. Hinge cracks are "under warranty" especially b/c it's a defect.

Box and mailing sticker should be here in a couple days.

So don't use the online form; just call in.

Squashua on
  • Options
    wasted lifewasted life Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hey, sorry if I'm threadjacking, but I have a similar issue. Does anyone know if they need a receipt for warranty repairs? I lost it sometime when I was moving and now my right shoulder button has become unresponsive. Its a US DS Lite so I know it hasn't even been out a year, but I know some places require receipt to show that you are the original owner.

wasted life on
    Now Playing: Picross (DS), Phantom Hourglass (DS), GOD HAND (PS2), No More Heroes (Wii)
    My Backlog
    Super Saver Comics!
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I thought the thread title implied something much more metaphorical than cracked DS hinges :p

Zenitram on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    They only asked me for the serial number.

If they ask anything, just tell them you're the original owner and you got it new a couple months ago.
    They didn't ask me. Only wanted name, phone number, address, e-mail and serial number.

Cracked hinge or unresponsive button should be covered. I've heard that others also got screens replaced, etc. when theirs were sent in for a crack fix; so... bonus.

Squashua on