As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DDWRT trouble

psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
edited July 2013 in Help / Advice Forum
Edit: Disregard the old problem. I ended up installing tomato on the primary because its usb support actually works, but now wireless bridging is working poorly- see below or last post.

Running 2 routers- an RT-n16 with Tomato as the primary and a DIR-615 rev I1 (atheros) with DDWRT build 21061 as the client. I used to have ddwrt on both, but could not for the life of me get the usb print server to work with my asus, so switched over to tomato which works out of the box (god knows why ddwrt can't do that...) Primary is at 192.168.1.1, secondary at 192.168.2.1

Since then, the client router has started dropping the signal frequently. It will work for 5 minutes, then drop the signal for 30 seconds or a minute. When the signal is dropped I can't connect to the internet or to any other devices on my network, but devices on my primary network CAN connect to my secondary router-i.e. my PC, wired directly to the primary, can access the ddwrt router even though the computer on the ddwrt router CANNOT access the primary router or the internet. Then, without power cycling or changing any settings, it reconnects. It is really annoying. I have tried changing all sorts of settings with no fix.

I followed the instructions for Atheros chipsets on the wiki at http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge#Atheros and the settings are exactly what the wiki says to make them. It worked before, when both were dd-wrt, but no longer.

I am wondering if I should try a different build of dd-wrt, or try WDS instead of repeater bridge, or what. The second router is only connected via ethernet to a PC so I was avoiding that as unnecessary, but if you guys think it might work better, I'll try it.

Thanks!

PS I am quite willing to believe this is a problem on the tomato end, if you have any suggestions for changing that too!

Hey folks,

I have a router with 2 usb ports, and DD-wrt v24 sp2 which tells me it is SUPPOSED to support usb printers. However, all the documentation on dd-wrt seems to be 5 years out of date and conflicting- total garbage. There isn't a single place, even on the official wiki, which tells me in a step-by-step manner how to actually fucking DO this. Virtually every guide tells me to run ipkg update via ssh (and let me tell you, I am not at all familiar with ssh, so even getting this far was difficult) but ipkg update fails. It doesn't download some backports thingy. I understand this is very common and that ipkg update is totally out of date and broken, and that I am supposed to do something else, but none of these fuckers will tell me exactly what that something else IS and I am getting very frustrated and starting to want to punch these people in the face until they learn to write reasonable documentation...

For the record, I have tried everything on this page with no success http://dd-wrt.ca/wiki/index.php/USB_printer_sharing including the last bit about installing the ipkg thingymcfucker from a usb stick which just says that there is no such file. I feel like the guides are leaving out about 10 commands between each listed step which I am supposed to run but don't know to run because I am not familiar with this shit and no one could write a decent guide if their life depended on it.

Anyway, I would really appreciate some help here. I am considering abandoning dd-wrt and just going back to the stock firmware at this point, which I believe would have the advantage of at least WORKING.

E: Some people are saying to install optware, but no one will even say what that IS in clear english and it seems to involve several hours of work and a usb drive sticking out my printer that I don't actually need for the sole purpose of doing something DDWRT is supposed to do.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
steam_sig.png
psyck0 on

• Options
    TavataarTavataar Registered User regular
    What brand of router is it? DD-WRT is very hard to use, and I assume your router has official firmware that is release by its manufacturer that may be easier to configure and have better documentation.

-Tavataar
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    psyck0 wrote: »
    For the record, I have tried everything on this page with no success http://dd-wrt.ca/wiki/index.php/USB_printer_sharing including the last bit about installing the ipkg thingymcfucker from a usb stick which just says that there is no such file. I feel like the guides are leaving out about 10 commands between each listed step which I am supposed to run but don't know to run because I am not familiar with this shit and no one could write a decent guide if their life depended on it.

Did you follow the directions at this site? It was linked from the page you linked.

https://sites.google.com/site/wl520gu/

Of note:
    Log into the router using telnet or ssh. The username is always root and the password is whatever you set in the GUI. After logging in, we will download the package using wget. Use this command:

wget http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/brcm47xx/packages/p910nd_0.95-2_brcm47xx.ipk

This will download the package into a temporary directory. To install it we will use the command ipkg install p910nd_0.95-2_brcm47xx.ipk You can safely ignore the ERROR: File not found: messages for this manual installation.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    By the way, let's be clear about what you're trying to do here.

You're trying to set up an embedded Linux server to perform USB printer sharing.

This is a task that requires some Linux command line work. It is also highly dependent upon what make and model of printer you are using. Some cheap USB printers will not work on a network print server at all.

If you aren't prepared to put a little bit of sweat into it, my suggestion is to replace your printer with one with a built-in Ethernet port.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    New problem- I tried dicking around with print support in the command line as suggested and just could not get it running, so switched to tomato which works directly off the install (god knows why ddwrt can't do that). New problem is as follows: running 2 routers- an RT-n16 with Tomato as the primary and a DIR-615 rev I1 (atheros) with DDWRT build 21061 as the client. I used to have ddwrt on both, but since switching the primary to TomatoUSB, the client router has started dropping the signal frequently. It will work for 5 minutes, then drop the signal for 30 seconds or a minute. When the signal is dropped I can't connect to the internet or to any other devices on my network, but devices on my primary network CAN connect to my secondary router-i.e. my PC, wired directly to the primary, can access the ddwrt router even though the computer on the ddwrt router CANNOT access the primary router or the internet. Then, without power cycling or changing any settings, it reconnects. It is really annoying. I have tried changing all sorts of settings with no fix.

I followed the instructions for Atheros chipsets on the wiki at http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge#Atheros and the settings are exactly what the wiki says to make them. It worked before, when both were dd-wrt, but no longer (well, it sort of works...)

I am wondering if I should try a different build of dd-wrt, or try WDS instead of repeater bridge, or what. The second router is only connected via ethernet to a PC so I was avoiding that as unnecessary, but if you guys think it might work better, I'll try it.

Thanks!

PS I am quite willing to believe this is a problem on the tomato end, if you have any suggestions for changing that too!

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bigbhbigbh Registered User regular
    Why are you running 192.168.2.1 on the second router? Are you running it through a second NAT as opposed to just wireless bridging?

For simplicity I would try moving it over to 192.168.1.240 or something else in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet.

• Options
    It's now 192.168.1.2, that was before.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Anyone with any ideas? I have tried changing versions of Tomato (from shibby's to toastman's) with no success.

steam_sig.png