As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Giant Bomb Thread: Remembering Ryan Davis.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Good thing that's not what he did.

“How long did you starve these geckos?”

“I tried to feed them cheez-its for a good two weeks. And they did not like cheez-its. And I could not understand because cheez-its are so good.”

If you keep listening he says he bought them real food.

"eventually."

I'm sorry, but I automatically side against anyone who does dumb shit that endangers an animal because he can't ask questions and buy them the proper food. I've dealt with too many assholes to have any patience for the "I didn't know any better" excuse. I spend a lot of time volunteering in animal rescue and I hear it from people who chain their dogs up out in their yards, I hear it from people who try to feed their cats vegetarian diets, and I hear it from pretty much everyone else who does something dumb that hurts a pet.

The fact is that animal abuse isn't just a guy beating a dog with a stick. There are plenty of degrees and flavors.

And there's still the fact that this is all based on offhand comments from Dan on a video stream. And honestly, I don't know if he's just exaggerating shit, or if he's really that fucking stupid, but neither would surprise me based on what I've heard from him so far.

Not defending him, but this is the same guy who tried to cook eggshells because he thought they were the whites. Selling him a lizard is like selling a two year old a lizard, without help he's going. He needs adult supervision or he'll accidentally kill it. Not out of some sort of malicious intent, but out of vast vast ignorance.

And remind me, they hired this guy?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Aegeri wrote: »

“I tried to feed them cheez-its for a good two weeks. And they did not like cheez-its. And I could not understand because cheez-its are so good.”

"eventually."

I'm sorry, but I automatically side against anyone who does dumb shit that endangers an animal because he can't ask questions and buy them the proper food. I've dealt with too many assholes to have any patience for the "I didn't know any better" excuse. I spend a lot of time volunteering in animal rescue and I hear it from people who chain their dogs up out in their yards, I hear it from people who try to feed their cats vegetarian diets, and I hear it from pretty much everyone else who does something dumb that hurts a pet.

The fact is that animal abuse isn't just a guy beating a dog with a stick. There are plenty of degrees and flavors.

And there's still the fact that this is all based on offhand comments from Dan on a video stream. And honestly, I don't know if he's just exaggerating shit, or if he's really that fucking stupid, but neither would surprise me based on what I've heard from him so far.

Not defending him, but this is the same guy who tried to cook eggshells because he thought they were the whites. Selling him a lizard is like selling a two year old a lizard, without help he's going. He needs adult supervision or he'll accidentally kill it. Not out of some sort of malicious intent, but out of vast vast ignorance.

He's good at his job. His job isn't to know a lizard's diet or like mayo or cook edible food. As long as he's likable (which being very wide eyed is likable so far) and entertaining and well spoken and brings interesting video game discussions to the table he's doing his job. Added bonus is his world view is so very different from the rest of them that it brings a lot to the podcasts.

And so far he's doing his job very well.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    To the people in this thread that say 64 and Sunshine are bad games are just...just horrible people. The worst.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I don't know how the controls hold up, but 64 was amazingly clever and creative and fun back in the day. I'm a bit disappointed that all of the latest 3D Marios have gone back to linear level design.

• Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    I guess I'm one of those weirdos. I definitely prefer Sunshine to any other 3D Marios. But SMW is, and likely always will be, my favorite overall.

• LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    The Crew actually looks pretty neat. I definitely want to try driving from coast to coast.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLyJpJR1utw
    No wonder they call them flyover states!

Is this going to be a retail box? From the quick look it looked like there were some pretty heavy handed F2P hooks. I noticed a second currency for everything. It looks awesome, I just worry that if it is F2P there will be enough of a grind that it could end up being frustrating.

steam_sig.png
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

"eventually."

He's good at his job. His job isn't to know a lizard's diet or like mayo or cook edible food. As long as he's likable (which being very wide eyed is likable so far) and entertaining and well spoken and brings interesting video game discussions to the table he's doing his job. Added bonus is his world view is so very different from the rest of them that it brings a lot to the podcasts.

And so far he's doing his job very well.

TL;DR: He likes wrestling a lot.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Lowlander wrote: »
    The Crew actually looks pretty neat. I definitely want to try driving from coast to coast.

Is this going to be a retail box? From the quick look it looked like there were some pretty heavy handed F2P hooks. I noticed a second currency for everything. It looks awesome, I just worry that if it is F2P there will be enough of a grind that it could end up being frustrating.

As far as I know it's a retail box game.

Also after playing in the closed beta this week, you should know that they really should just call it The Assassin's Far Watch Crew because it's pretty much just an open world car game built around the Ubisoft "all-games" model. I mean you even have to drive to a Satellite stations to uncover the activities in an area of the map.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Goddamn. This Dan Food stuff is AMAZING.

I think either "Giant Bomb feeds Dan strange new foods like Mayo." or "Live streaming of Dan's Therapy Session" would bring in the subscriber money.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Someone should mailbag Dan some Cheeze-its with gummy lizzards in them.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Beltaine wrote: »

Also after playing in the closed beta this week, you should know that they really should just call it The Assassin's Far Watch Crew because it's pretty much just an open world car game built around the Ubisoft "all-games" model. I mean you even have to drive to a Satellite stations to uncover the activities in an area of the map.

That just killed some of my enthusiasm for that game.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    If Giant Bomb has taught me anything, it's to never get excited about Ubisoft games.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »
    Beltaine wrote: »

That just killed some of my enthusiasm for that game.

I don't know why. That sounds awesome.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Dan Ryckert died before hitting level 2 in WoW.

edit: This is painful to watch.

But I can't look away.

reVerse on
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    This should be interesting to watch. I've dabbled in WoW, SWTOR and LotRO (because they are free up to a point), but could never get into them. Exploring huge, living worlds sounds right up my alley, but the hotbar combat bores me too much.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    That WoW video really hit the right note for me. I haven't played WoW since the Pandaria expansion came out, and even then I wasn't playing it like I did for the first few years after release. Dan picked the exact same race/class that I first picked when I bought the retail game. Almost....almost makes me want to resubscribe for a bit.

But no, it's actually pretty easy for me to not resubscribe these days. Hard to believe the game will be 10 years old this year.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    It's painful to watch someone so inept with this basics in WoW, but then I need to reel myself in and remind myself I was that same guy 10 years ago playing WoW when it first launched.

I do wish they would have had Rorie sit down with Dan instead of Jeff in order to give him a better idea and more up to date description of things, but maybe that'll happen in future episodes.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    I don't know, I bet Rorie is so tied up in the endgame that it would be like trying to teach a goldfish Klingon.

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I would have thought they would have at least given Dan the tutorial for WoW, it's been a while since I started a new character but it gives you a pretty good run down of everything.

Also that video totally made me redownload and subscribe for a month. It's fun to run around and see the changes and revisit old characters.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    So are we now in a "Dan is bad at games" mantra, or is it "Dan and Brad are bad at games"?

Actually enjoying this video though, it does remind me of when I first jumped into the game, though I had a bunch of friends and had just come off of Asheron's Call or something so it wasn't all new to me.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Dan is the new Brad at being bad at games.

I'm not sure I can live in a world where someone is worse than Brad at games.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    That video where they quicklook that shooter, and these doors are barred after they try to go through them. Theres a audible cue of npcs blocking the doors if not a visual one, and now theres boards in the way. The boards are fucking glowing.

GB quicklook response "I think the game is just broken, these scripted doors arent opening". They start shooting the door(but not the boards). It was a car wreck you can't look away from. They go after 2 minutes "well... are these boards glowing?" they shoot one. then the other two and the doors open "I dont know if we did that or if the game caught up"

holy shit D:

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Dan is so green on WoW that it is hilarious. I was not even that green when I started it.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    That WoW video really hit the right note for me. I haven't played WoW since the Pandaria expansion came out, and even then I wasn't playing it like I did for the first few years after release. Dan picked the exact same race/class that I first picked when I bought the retail game. Almost....almost makes me want to resubscribe for a bit.

But no, it's actually pretty easy for me to not resubscribe these days. Hard to believe the game will be 10 years old this year.

Just do what I do whenever I get the itch: Transfer your character over to the PTR and play around for a few days

Scratches the itch, but don't have to spend any money!

LxX6eco.jpg
    Whenever I get the itch, I crush my fingers in a vise, because fuck that itch.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    So how exactly does the math behind quicklooks work?

I mean, if there was, hypothetically, a QL of a Kinect based cricket game, would that be the best QL ever or would it roll over and be terrible.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    So how exactly does the math behind quicklooks work?

I mean, if there was, hypothetically, a QL of a Kinect based cricket game, would that be the best QL ever or would it roll over and be terrible.

The main rule is if it's a gameshow quick look, it's more than worth your time.

No I don't.
  • bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Played my first game as Visage with some Giant Bomb folks - man I do not understand how to use him effectively.

Edit: Whoops.meant for dota thread

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    I'm loving Dan being an addition. He's the drunk uncle of GB.

More things Dan was completely unaware of until recently:

• GI Joe
    • Server-side character saves
    • I don't know, probably toothpaste or some shit.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Dan is good about digging up the old stuff. He is the retro guy. I would rather have Unprofessional Fridays be all about this. He would also be great for Old PC game segments. Make him play Phantasmagoria 2.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    More things Dan was completely unaware of until recently:

• GI Joe
    • Server-side character saves
    • I don't know, probably toothpaste or some shit.

Add to that:
    • Shaving creams and/or pre-shaves/lubricants when using electric shavers

Things he'll soon discover while playing WoW
    • Tab targetting
    • How to quest efficiently and not keep running past the mobs you need to kill
    • How to equip gear in other ways than dragging it to his character sheet
    • Mouse movement

Those things aside I've really been enjoying Dan and his antics. I look forwards to each week's revelations of things a 30 year old man is blissfully unaware of.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    I'm in the middle of Dan's second WoW video. This time he has Brad as his companion. Brad hasn't played the game since 2007. Dan knows a few more things than before, but there is still so much he doesn't know. I was really hoping Dan was going to try and make the trek through the Burning Steppes/Searing Gorge to get to Loch Modan. I remember making dumb choices like that as a newbie.

edited August 2014
    One minute in, he's using taunt while soloing a single mob. Hasn't re-arranged his abilities so his Bloodthirst is bound to 8.

Noobs! *shakes fist*

edit: The Two Campaigns, a tale told by a toddler to a chimpanzee.

reVerse on
    Supposedly they;ll be bringing in Matt Rorie to guide Dan through the next episode. Poor Rorie will have to unteach Dan a lot of things.

I remember when I first starting playing WoW

I was an Elemental Shaman who ran up to mobs and just kept whacking them with my staff and wondering why it took so long to kill everything

It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out what I was doing wrong

LxX6eco.jpg
This discussion has been closed.