As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

News from a [chat] we have never yet visited

descdesc Goretexing to deathRegistered User regular
"In speaking of this desire for our own faroff country, which we find in ourselves even now, I feel a certain shyness. I am almost committing an indecency. I am trying to rip open the inconsolable secret in each one of you -- the secret which hurts so much that you take your revenge on it by calling it names like Nostalgia and Romanticism and Adolescence; the secret also which pierces with such sweetness that when, in very intimate conversation, the mention of it becomes imminent, we grow awkward and affect to laugh at ourselves; the secret we cannot hide and cannot tell, though we desire to do both. We cannot tell it because it is a desire for something that has never actually appeared in our experience. We cannot hide it because our experience is constantly suggesting it, and we betray ourselves like lovers at the mention of a name. Our commonest expedient is to call it beauty and behave as if that had settled the matter. Wordsworth's expedient was to identify it with certain moments in his own past. But all this is a cheat. If Wordsworth had gone back to those moments in the past, he would not have found the thing itself, but only the reminder of it; what he remembered would turn out to be itself a remembering. The books or the music in which we thought the beauty was located will betray us if we trust to them; it was not in them, it only came through them, and what came through them was longing. These things -- the beauty, the memory of our own past -- are good images of what we really desire; but if they are mistaken for the thing itself they turn into dumb idols, breaking the hearts of their worshippers. For they are not the thing itself; they are only the scent of a flower we have not found, the echo of a tune we have not heard, news from a country we have never yet visited."

C.S. Lewis

E91QuPc.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPE6efhr6WY

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    pretend there is something about "salting" people there for topicality as well

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    @desc comes through like a pro <3<3<3

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Is that scary if I click it

It looks scary

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

It looks scary

it is witchtrap

click it >_>

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    <3 witchboy

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    desc wrote: »

It looks scary

it is witchtrap

click it >_>

Sounds scary man. It's real dark and stormy here. Trying to work up the courage to play Alan wake. This could help.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    DUE how great is Alan Wake.

Like...how great is it?

Stupid Remedy purposefully NOT announcing Alan Wake 2 at E3.

• Options
    edited July 2013

Like...how great is it?

I'm only in the second or third chapter. It is nuts!

I think I saw someone run past a cabin window and had to quit last time I played it. Didnt know if it was my imagination getting the best of me or the game actually had someone run by me and disappear.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    So today I got a string of identical emails (like 6 or 7) from mhpaeng@gmail.com. They're all in Chinese (as best I can tell), and all have no body text. They do however have an attached JPEG of some kind of completed form (also in "Chinese").

For instance:
    ?ui=2&ik=6cf92be8a4&view=att&th=13fc6434357ce4aa&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=1440135729349918720-1&safe=1&zw

Is this some kind of elaborate scam, or just the result of a typo?

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    @jacobkosh I have been working on a thing for a couple days and I'm pretty enthused about it

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    family_circus_comic_03.jpg

keene foresaw hipsters and was on the cutting edge of gay rights

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular

Like...how great is it?

I'm only in the second or third chapter. It is nuts!

Savor it.

Savor it.

• Options
    Oh, apparently it's (presumably South?) Korean.

• Options
    man i am super excited for Elysium

i believe in neil blomkamp

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    [chat], decide my life right now

do I

-go to bed immediately and get a proper 8 hours of sleep so I can attend my 8:30am meeting with corporate bigwigs refreshed, and work a closing shift after without getting tired

-turn off computer and delay going to bed for 30 minutes or so while reading Shadow of the Wind a bit more

-stay up for another hour+ so I can maek poast in G&T inviting people to post their favorite game soundtracks, but NO NOSTALGIA so it'll be from the last 10 years only

+wild card option: do any of the above, but wake up six hours from now so I can get a good two mile run in before said meeting and work for 7 hours after on drastically-reduced sleep

If by 11:30 MST [chat] has not reached consensus, I have my fate in the hands of

Geth

(Geth still plays dice, right?)

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I need something short and mindlessly entertaining.

Preferably with lots of colors.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »

While I understand that not everyone has had the same exposure to Asian languages that I have had, it is still weird when someone can't tell Korean, Chinese and Japanese apart

• Options
    Winky wrote: »
    I need something short and mindlessly entertaining.

Preferably with lots of colors.

Antichamber!

(mindless because it takes your mind, shakes it upside-down like a piggy bank to empty it, then lets you refill it slowly as you go)

Bastion!

(if you have not played this do so, it fits your needs well although it's 6-8 hours long but is easily broken up into segments)
    also is the need for lots of colors a temporarily-induced condition? if so that depends much upon the particular catalyst of your state

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I vote G&T music + run. maybe you'll find some good shit to listen to while you work out.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    korean is pretty easy to distinguish in writing

because it's very static and straightforward, with a lot of clear vertical lines and circles

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Ares get your 8 hours of sleep

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    simonwolf wrote: »

While I understand that not everyone has had the same exposure to Asian languages that I have had, it is still weird when someone can't tell Korean, Chinese and Japanese apart

Sometimes I can't tell Korean and Japanese apart when spoken.

Despite.. you know.

Speaking one of them.

• Options
    Variable wrote: »
    I vote G&T music + run. maybe you'll find some good shit to listen to while you work out.

This leaves me with least sleep! 5 hours tops, for a 12 hour work day

It is most tempting though

I think the G&T thread concept could stand to marinate for a day while I contemplate structure. I have 3 soundtracks I want to OP with, and invite others to present their favorites with an eye toward certain aspects

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    One friend is back in town and another leaves tomorrow. Which sucks. Played the new Civ 5 expansion a bunch today. It is good.

Also got pricing on Arabic because my parents will pay for it and it is next on my list for languages. It and French.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Pony wrote: »
    korean is pretty easy to distinguish in writing

because it's very static and straightforward, with a lot of clear vertical lines and circles

If it is very round it is Korean.

If every character is what the fuck complicated, it's Chinese.

If many characters are what the fuck complicated, but it's punctuated by pretty easy ones, it's Japanese.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Korean is also very easy to learn (the written system, at least) because it is very purposefully designed to be a logical system of elements that are combined to make different syllables

You can basically learn to read (not understand) Korean in a day if you put your mind to it

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    One friend is back in town and another leaves tomorrow. Which sucks. Played the new Civ 5 expansion a bunch today. It is good.

Also got pricing on Arabic because my parents will pay for it and it is next on my list for languages. It and French.

Mazz, we and other Denverite [chat]ists should hang out some time

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

I think the G&T thread concept could stand to marinate for a day while I contemplate structure. I have 3 soundtracks I want to OP with, and invite others to present their favorites with an eye toward certain aspects

Problem is those types of threads always become a list thread or a clip thread, with no actual discussion.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Korean is also an actual syllabary unlike those damn character languages like Japanese and Chinese.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    The deadline has been reached! Consensus has failed! It is time to invoke...

Geth roll 3d2

(where 1 is run, 2 is no run)

3d2 5 [3d2=2, 2, 1]

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options

We should. Thinking of seeing Pacific Rim next week. One friend is already up for it.

Also might be moving East in a month.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Geth roll 1d3

Edit: goddamnit Variable you predicted Geth's outcome perfectly

1d3 3 [1d3=3]

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options

I mean, if you showed me all three of them together I might be able to tell the difference. Japanese in particular is pretty distinctive.

But yeah no, all AZNs (and their languages) look the same to me.

• Options
    Korean is also very easy to learn (the written system, at least) because it is very purposefully designed to be a logical system of elements that are combined to make different syllables

You can basically learn to read (not understand) Korean in a day if you put your mind to it

oh really?

I should look into that

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »

Problem is those types of threads always become a list thread or a clip thread, with no actual discussion.

I am mostly fine with this. Soundtracks are the sorts of things that lend themselves well to fire-and-forget posts. Hence why it belong in G&T and not D&D

I'm going to try to invite some discussion in the OP, but we'll see. Off to craft it. Geth has spoken. Geth shall not be denied,

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Geth roll

Edit: goddamnit Variable you predicted Geth's outcome perfectly

yeah I have my shit together

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
  • Options

We should. Thinking of seeing Pacific Rim next week. One friend is already up for it.

Also might be moving East in a month.

Pacific Rim sounds glorious

Who else is Denverish and might join? Kakos, is he still in Boulder? There's a few others, I know.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    @Inquisitor @RiemannLives @Desc @Sarksus

So uh Mechwarrior Tactics is kind of out. Well Beta. And TB played Angry Joe. I am watching it right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY5vP7EqsyM&amp;feature=share&amp;list=UUy1Ms_5qBTawC-k7PVjHXKQ

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I can't wait to hear about what @LoserForHireX and @Sarksus and @Mim decide to roleplay

I want to expand the family! the web, if you will.

This discussion has been closed.