As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Arkham Horror]Families torn apart. Literally. Turn 12.

ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
edited October 2013 in Critical Failures
arkhamhorror_02.jpg

“Know, O Thief, that these things are mine,
For I am the Dark Pharaoh, him of the Crawling Chaos.
Take what is mine and your blood will boil in your skin,
As I reveal to you my Other Faces and my True Glory.”
- Whispers of the Dark Pharaoh.

The Rules: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Arkham_Horror/Support/Arkham_Horror_Rules_Lo-Res.pdf

Curse of the Dark Pharaoh (Revised Edition) Rules:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Arkham_Horror/Dark Pharaoh revised/AH_CothDP_Revised_Rules_eng_1-0.pdf

Gameboard:
5zje.jpg

Locations proceeding clockwise:

NORTHSIDE (ORANGE):
Curiositie Shoppe
Newspaper
Train Station

DOWNTOWN (WHITE):
Bank of Arkham
Arkham Asylum
Independence Square

EASTOWN (GREY):
Hibb's Roadhouse
Velma's Diner
Police Station

RIVERTOWN (PURPLE):
Graveyard
Black Cave
General Store

FRENCH HILL (BLUE):
The Witch House
The Silver Twilight Lodge

SOUTHSIDE (BROWN):
Ma's Boarding House
South Church
Historical Society

UPTOWN (RED):
Woods
Ye Olde Magick Shoppe
St. Mary's Hospital

MISKATONIC U (YELLOW):
Library
Administration
Science Building

MERCHANT DISTRICT (GREEN):
The Unnamable
River Docks
Unvisited Isle

Other World Locations from Top to Bottom:
R'lyeh

Plateau of Leng

The Dreamlands

Great Hall of Celeano

Yuggoth

City of the Great Race

Abyss

Another Dimension

Location Special Abilities:
CURIOSITIE SHOPPE:
Shop: Instead of having an encounter here, you may draw 3 Unique Items and purchase one of them for its list price. Discard the other two items.

BANK OF ARKHAM:
Bank Loan: Instead of having an encounter here, you may take out a Bank Loan if you don't have one yet.

ARKHAM ASYLUM:
Psychiatric Care: Instead of having an encounter here, you may recover Sanity by receiving psychiatric care. You may either regain 1 Sanity for free, or pay $2 to restore your Sanity to its maximum value.

POLICE STATION:
Deputized: Instead of having an encounter here, you may spend 10 toughness worth of monster trophies, 2 gate trophies, or 5 toughness worth of monster trophies and 1 gate trophy to become the Deputy of Arkham. Take the Deputy of Arkham card.

GENERAL STORE:
Shop: Instead of having an encounter here, you may draw 3 Common Items and purchase one of them for its list price. Discard the other two items.

SILVER TWILIGHT LODGE:
Inner Sanctum: If you have a Silver Twilight Membership, then you look at the Inner Sanctum entry when having encounters here.

MA'S BOARDING HOUSE:
Recruit: Instead of having an encounter here, you may spend 10 toughness worth of monster trophies, 2 gate trophies, or 5 toughness worth of monster trophies and 1 gate trophy to take any 1 Ally of your choice from the Ally deck.

SOUTH CHURCH:
Blessing: Instead of having an encounter here, you may spend 5 toughness worth of monster trophies or 1 gate trophy to have any investigator you choose be blessed

YE OLD MAGICK SHOPPE:
Magic Lessons: Instead of having an encounter here, you may pay $5 to draw 2 Spells. Keep one of them and discard the other.

ST. MARY's HOSPITAL:
Medical Care: Instead of having an encounter here, you may recover Stamina by receiving medical care. You may either regain 1 Stamina for free, or pay $2 to restore your Stamina to its maximum value.

ADMINISTRATION:
Classes: Instead of having an encounter here, you may pay $8 to draw 2 Skills. Keep one of them and discard the other.

SCIENCE BUILDING:
Dissection: Instead of having an encounter here, you may spend 5 toughness worth of monster trophies or 1 gate trophy to gain 2 Clue tokens.

RIVER DOCKS:
Shady Character: Instead of having an encounter here, you may spend 5 toughness worth of monster trophies or 1 gate trophy to gain $5.

Gamestate:
ACTIVITY:

CLOSED:

ALLIES STATUS:
John Legrasse - Available
Erica Carlyle - Available
Professor Armitage - Available
Erich Weiss - Available
Anna Kaslow - Unavailable, Gigantic Wuss.
Sarah Danforth - Available
Sir William Brinton - Available
Tom "Mountain" Murphey - Available
Eric Colt - Partying with Darrel Simmons.
Duke - Run to the hills!
Ruby Standish - Available

TERROR LEVEL: 2

OPEN GATE LIMIT: 6
# of GATES OPEN: 1

OUTSKIRTS LIMIT: 2
MONSTERS IN THE OUTSKIRTS: 0

MONSTER LIMIT: 9
MONSTERS IN ARKHAM: 1

2 MONSTERS DRAWN FROM EACH GATE OPENING

Gate and Monster Locations:
GATES OPEN:
Another Dimension (Square, +0) in the Graveyard.

MONSTERS IN ARKHAM:
Gug in the Down Town Streets.

MONSTERS IN THE OUTSKIRTS:

MONSTERS IN THE SKY:

Investigators:
Iron Weasel as Monterey Jack (FIRST PLAYER):
MontereyJack.png

Sanity: 1/3
Stamina: 4/7

SPEED/SNEAK: 3 / 1
FIGHT/WILL: 2 / 3
LORE/LUCK: 3(4) / 3

CURRENT LOCATION: Graveyard

MONEY: $0

CLUE TOKENS: 4

INVENTORY: Bullwhip, .38 Revolver, Obsidian Statue, Warding Statue, Elder Sign, Book of Anubis

SPELLS:

SKILL: Lore

SPECIAL: Silver Twilight Lodge Membership, Blessing

ALLIES:

MONSTER TROPHIES: Witch, Dark Young

GATE TROPHIES: The Dreamlands (Slash, +1)

jdarksun as Joe Diamond:
JoeDiamond.png

Sanity: 3/4
Stamina: 3/6

SPEED/SNEAK: 4 / 3
FIGHT/WILL: 3 / 2
LORE/LUCK: 2 / 1(2)

CURRENT LOCATION: The Woods

MONEY: $1

CLUE TOKENS: 10

INVENTORY: .45 Automatic, Lantern, Cross

SPELLS:

SKILL: Expert Occultist

SPECIAL: Blessing

ALLIES:

MONSTER TROPHIES: Ghost, Zombie, Zombie, Dimensional Shambler

GATE TROPHIES: City of the Great Race (Triangle, +0)

Void Slayer as Gloria Goldberg:
GloriaGoldberg.png

Sanity: 5/6
Stamina: 4/4

SPEED/SNEAK: 4 / 0
FIGHT/WILL: 3 / 2
LORE/LUCK: 4 / 2

CURRENT LOCATION: Unvisited Isle

CLUE TOKENS: 3

INVENTORY: Mask of the Messenger

SPELLS: Feeding the Mind, Mists of Releh, Heal, Markings of Isis, Enchant Weapon, Enchant Weapon, Voice of Ra

SKILL: Marksman

SPECIAL:

ALLIES:

MONSTER TROPHIES: Cultist

GATE TROPHIES:

OminousLozenge as Mandy Thompson:
MandyThompson.png

Sanity: 3/5
Stamina: 2/5

SPEED/SNEAK: 3 / 3
FIGHT/WILL: 2 / 3
LORE/LUCK: 4 / 0

CURRENT LOCATION: South Church

MONEY: $2

CLUE TOKENS: 3

INVENTORY: Tommy Gun, Enchanted Blade, Enchanted Knife

SPELLS: Find Gate

SKILL: Bravery

SPECIAL: Blessing

ALLIES:

MONSTER TROPHIES: Elder Thing

GATE TROPHIES: The Great Hall of Celeano, Another Dimension

Farangu as Darrel Simmons:
DarrellSimmons.png

Sanity: 1/4
Stamina: 6/6

SPEED/SNEAK: 3(5) / 2(3)
FIGHT/WILL: 2 / 4
LORE/LUCK: 1 / 3

CURRENT LOCATION: Curiositie Shoppe

MONEY: $7

CLUE TOKENS: 0

INVENTORY: .18 Derringer, Dragon's Eye, Enchanted Blade, Blue Watcher of the Pyramid, Enchanted Knife

SPELLS:

SKILL: Sneak

SPECIAL: Retainer

ALLIES: Eric Colt

MONSTER TROPHIES: Dimensional Shambler, Cultist, Formless Spawn

GATE TROPHIES: Yuggoth

Assuran as Vincent Lee:
VincentLee.png

Sanity: 3/5
Stamina: 3/5

SPEED/SNEAK: 1(2) / 4
FIGHT/WILL: 3 / 1
LORE/LUCK: 4(5) / 2

CURRENT LOCATION: Arkham Asylum

CLUE TOKENS: 0

INVENTORY: Motorcycle

SPELLS: Find Gate

SKILL: Lore, Speed

SPECIAL:

ALLIES:

MONSTER TROPHIES: Vampire, Cultist, Ghoul

GATE TROPHIES:

Ancient One, Herald, and Guardian:
Ithaqua
Ithaqua.png

DOOM TRACK: 7/11

ELDER SIGNS: 4/6 - The Witch House, The Unvisited Isle, The Unnameable, The Woods.

GATE TROPHIES COLLECTED: 5/6

Enviroment, Rumors, and Modifiers:
ENVIROMENT: Bloody cold. An investigator who is in a Streets location at the end of the Mythos phase loses 1 Stamina.
Mythos42.png

RUMOR:

WORSHIPPERS ABILITY: Cultists are +2 Toughness.

ANCIENT WHISPERS LOCATION: FRENCH HILL STREETS

Special Cards: http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Special

Common Items: http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Common_item

Unique Items: http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Unique_item

Spells: http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Spell

Skills: http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Skill

Allies: http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Ally

Monster Encylopedia: http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Monster

The Worlds Beyond: http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Gate_marker

Players:
Iron Weasel
jdarksun
Void Slayer
OminousLozenge
Farangu
Assuran

Reserves:

Geth has been upgraded, so it would be a shame not to take advantage of that. So when you make a roll, type "Geth, roll Xd6tY" for your checks, where X is the number of dice you are rolling, and Y is the number you need for a success(5 normally, 4 when Blessed, 6 when Cursed). However, if you're going to be needing to make a lot of dependent rolls in one post, maybe consider using either Invisible Castle or Orokos so as not to bloat the thread.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
Chrysis on

• Options
    So, time for me to bite the bullet and try to run an online game as I've been intending. Many thanks to the various forumers who have run/are running games from which I have scavenged together an OP.

As you may have guessed, I'm planning the base game with the revised Curse of the Dark Pharaoh expansion. It adds a bit more of a reason to brave the streets (the Ancient Whispers marker), which makes flying monsters and certain weather effects more of a consideration. There are also some nice new spells and exhibit items, and a bit more variety in Encounters. Although watch out for the three "Fight an Ancient One mano a mano" Other World Encounters.

Taking from the Signup thread, the first six potential players are:
    @GrimmyTOA
    @Shiny New Toys
    @Kilnaga
    @Void Slayer
    @jdarksun
    @Iron Weasel

So my questions to you are:
    Are you keen?
    Investigators: Who do you want to be? (Base set only)
    Ancient One: Do you want to choose an Ancient One, or Randomise? (Again, Base set only)
    The Dark Pharaoh Herald: In or Out? I've not played a game using Heralds, so I lean towards Out. If you want him in, do you want to use his AO Nyarlathotep?

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    I hear the Pharaoh stuff makes this even harder than usual.

Sign me up.

I had good luck in my last game with Monterey Jack, so I’ll roll with him again, please.

I have no preferences regarding how we choose our Old One, or with regards to Herald.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    Welcome aboard. I'll do all the random items once all the fixed items are out of the way, so once we have enough investigators chosen.

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    If any of those chaps can't make it, I'll reserve up.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    Cool. I've updated the OP. I'm looking forward to trying out running things online.

• Options
    It's been a couple of days without much uptake, and because I'd like to start as soon as possible (because I'm impatient), I'm going to try paging the remaining 4 again.

@GrimmyTOA
    @Shiny New Toys
    @Kilnaga
    @Void Slayer

If you're keen, or even if you aren't, please let me know.

• Options
    OminousLozengeOminousLozenge Registered User regular
    I'd like to reserve up in case more seats need asses.

Sometimes I have ideas for things.
  • Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
  • Options
    FYI,I believe that both Shiny and Kilnaga have been away for.a.while.

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    Chrysis,

When you @ at a poster with multiple words, you need to put quotation marks around their name so the system reads it correctly.

also, reserve up

• Options
    Assuran wrote: »
    Chrysis,

When you @ at a poster with multiple words, you need to put quotation marks around their name so the system reads it correctly.

also, reserve up

I got that right the first time I did it. I blame the alcohol. Thanks for patching up my mistakes.

And yeah, Shiny hasn't signed in in about a week apparently, Kilnaga was on yesterday supposedly.

Either way, the objective of getting activity in the thread has been successful.

• Options
    So...any news here?

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Whoa sorry I totally missed this.

If the Dark Pharaoh is our only extra I think it would be fun, but lets have him herald a random AO.

Gloria Goldberg or Dexter Drake both seem good.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    So, the weekend has come and gone, sort of. I have a 3 day weekend, so I'm still going. But I'd like to get this started, so thanks to Void Slayer for signing up.

@Farangu , @OminousLozenge
    Are the two of you still keen? It would be especially appropriate if Farangu joined up given he's running a game for mi-go, who's running a game that I'm in. If you are, please post when you can with your preferences regarding investigator and ancient one/herald if applicable.

Chrysis on
  • Options
    Messed up, same above goes for @Assuran as well.

• Options
    I am definitely still keen, but I've only played Arkham Horror twice, ever. I don't have preferences for anything! Besides, Ashcan Pete is the only investigator with details provided in all the links and spoilers in the OP. Where are the others hiding?

• Options
    Ah, there isn't a direct link to the Investigators in the OP. That's probably an oversight. Here is a link to all the investigators and a bit of an explanation. Sort them by expansion and pick a guy or gal who sounds fun and doesn't have a symbol for the expansion set. Those are the base set Investigators.

Given that no one has expressed a particular desire to include the Herald, and we've got a relatively new player, I'm going to drop him. Just looking at him he makes the game a hell of a lot harder. Like I said, I haven't even played a game using him yet, so better to keep things a little simpler at this point.

• Options
    I'll hop in, sure! I'll take...I can't remember his name off the top of my head, the photographer. As for AO, anyone but Cthulu.

• Options
    I'll be Mandy Thompson! Her power sounds handy.

• Options
    Sure, I'm in. Even though I own this game, I've ever only played it twice and the last time I played was about a year ago.

Nonetheless, I'm excited.

I'll take either Joe Diamond or Vincent Lee if we're sticking with the main game.

I don't have a preference for AO other than not Cthulu.

• Options
    Excellent, a full roster. I'll get to work on the initial setup now.

Geth roll 1d2 for Drake or Gloria?
    Geth roll 1d2 for Joe or Vince?

Drake or Gloria?:
    1d2 2 [1d2=2]
    Joe or Vince?:
    1d2 2 [1d2=2]

• Options
    Insanity ho!

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    Time to go Orange and Bold

Time for starting items:

@Iron Weasel gets the Lore Skill and his choice of 2 from the following three:
    The King in Yellow, Ancient Tablet, and Obsidian Statue

@jdarksun gets to be Joe Diamond, and gets in addition to his fixed possessions a Lantern, a Cross, and the Expert Occultist skill.

@Void Slayer as Gloria Goldberg, and gets a Shotgun, some Whiskey, the spells Feeding the Mind and Mists of Releh, and the Marksman skill.

I think Gloria and Joe got confused.

@OminousLozenge gets a Tommy Gun, an Old Journal, an Enchanted Blade, and the Bravery skill.

@Farangu gets a .18 Derringer, the Dragon's Eye, an Enchanted Blade, and the Sneak skill.

@Assuran as Vincent Lee gets a stick of Dynamite, a sweet Motorcycle, the spells Wither and Find Gate, and the Lore skill.

Where did you guys find this stuff? Armed to da teef.

The allies available are: John Legrasse, Erica Carlyle, Professor Armitage, Erich Weiss, Anna Kaslow, Sarah Danforth, Sir William Brinton, Tom "Mountain" Murphey, Eric Colt, Duke, and finally Ruby Standish.

Ancient One, first Mythos and Gameboard to come shortly.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Our Ancient One for this merry jaunt is:
    Ithaqua.png

It's a bit nippy out, those Egyptian Artifacts are a long way from home.

The first Mythos leaves you all with a sense of dread, but very little of obvious signs.
    Mythos139.png

2 Doom Tokens for Ithaqua as he munches of Locusts and a clue appears at the Witch House. No monsters, no gates.

Gameboard looks like:
    xzli.jpg

@Iron Weasel (FIRST PLAYER)
    @jdarksun
    @Void Slayer
    @OminousLozenge
    @Farangu
    @Assuran

Feel free to do your upkeeps and movement in the order of your choice. First Player is Iron Weasel

Geth roll 1d6 for First Player

First Player:
    1d6 1 [1d6=1]

Chrysis on
  • Options
    What a terrible card to pull first.

Anyways, what is the plan?

• Options
    Grab clue tokens and stock up on items. I'm pretty speedy, I can hit wherever. Is there anyone that particularly needs Clue Tokens? We should save the Witch House for them.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Monterey Jack
    I'll take The King in Yellow and the Obsidian Statue.

Starting Skills:
    Speed 2
    Sneak 2
    Fight 3
    Will 2
    Lore 4
    Luck 2

When we get to the Encounters Phase, I'm going to skip my encounter and instead persuse the Curiosity Shoppe's Wares

For Movement, I will Exhaust and Spend 2 Movement Points to consul The King In Yellow.

Geth, roll 2d6 for The King in Yellow.

The King in Yellow:
    2d6 8 [2d6=4, 4]

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
  • Options
    KaneskiKaneski Registered User regular
    I say you guys welcome your icy overlord.

• Options
    Drat. @jdarksun is up next.

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    It's not an ideal starting card, but at least Ithaqua froze all the locusts. There are worse turn 1 cards to draw as well I think.

I'll update the OP with Iron Weasel's stuff now.

Also you should have rolled an extra dice Iron Weasel. Don't forget that your Lore skill gives you +1 Lore.

Chrysis on
  • Options
    Oh man, I am dumb. Can I roll it now?

If yes, cool.
    If not, sorry dudes!

Geth roll 1d6 for Remember Your Stats

Remember Your Stats:
    1d6 1 [1d6=1]

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    Darrel Simmons:

Speed/Sneak 4/1
    Fight/Will 4/2
    Lore/Luck 1/3

Collect $2 from the Retainer.

Are we doing this in strict player order?

• Options
    Joe Diamond

Starting Skills
    Speed/Sneak: 4/3
    Fight/Will: 3/2
    Lore/Luck: 2/2*

*+1 Luck from Lantern

Move to The Witch House

• Options
    mi-go huntermi-go hunter Once again I'm back in the lab. Cleaning my knives, ready for stabs.Registered User regular
    Thanks for hosting this game Chrysis! I'll make sure to update this in the AH thread.

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    A bit cold out, well, a nice jog down to the curiositie shoppe to talk with Monterrey will warm up the blood. And maybe drown out that howling.

Starting Skills
    Speed/Sneak 4/0
    Fight/Will 2/3
    Lore/Luck 3/3

Move to curiositie shoppe and I will Shop as well.

Since I can trade 1 stamina for 2 sanity I will try and get a few items. If we are lucky we can start sealing gates right away.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    @Iron Weasel As long as it's the same game turn I'm happy for you to go back and fix things like mistaken numbers of dice. I'm just not going to try and back-track 3 turns to fix things.

@Farangu
    I'm flexible with the order. I will actually, by default, be doing things in the order they're posted so I can do things piece-meal and keep it moving. If it will make a difference (say collecting clue tokens) I'll use the actual game order. If players want a different order, I'll follow that order so long as movement and encounters are going to be resolved in the same order. So if you want player B to move before A that's fine, but he'll also have his encounter before A. Just make it clear if there's any deviations from the game list order you want. Of course anyone should feel free to post their upkeep/moves in any order, and also feel free to post them together. Also were you actually going to move, or was that just Upkeep?

And of course, if anyone spots any mistakes I make, please let me know.

Chrysis on
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Okay guys, let me know if I did this right:

Speed: 3
    Sneak: 3
    Fight: 0
    Will: 5
    Lore: 4
    Luck: 0

Movement: 2 points to go to Science Building (do I automatically get that clue token?)
    Spend last movement point to read the Old Journal (Lore-1)

- I got 1 success, so I think that means I pass? If so, I discard the journal and gain 3 clue tokens!

Geth, roll 3d6t5

3d6t5 1 [3d6t5=2, 5, 4]

OminousLozenge on