As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy X

Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
So, since I just got a PS2, I was thinking of going back and getting some of the RPGs that I missed out on. I never really played FFX before, should I get it, or just skip it and go for XII. So, should I bother with 10 at all or just go for 12 since it's supposed to be awesome?

Mai-Kero on

• Options
    DuskTwilightDuskTwilight Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If you like RPG's then why wouldn't you get 10? It's cheap, and a good game.

DuskTwilight on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    FFX gets a lot of flack from elitists but it's still one of the best RPG's on the PS2. Pick it up, it's good.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    FFX is a superior game to FFXII.

Well, that's my belief.

FFXII was bleh! Don't believe all the hype!

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2007
    FFX gets a lot of flack from elitists but it's still one of the best RPG's on the PS2. Pick it up, it's good.

This is true. It's bags of awesome. Get X-2 as well. It gets even more flack than X, but it's still a lot of fun.

Bogart on
  • Options
    BrigadeBrigade Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Really? I found it one of the more "fun" Final Fantasies. I think it had a good mix of interesting characters as well as mini-games to play. It wasn’t overly convoluted or deep in it’s meaning and storyline. Just a good mix as far as I could tell.

But, to answer the OP's original question, I would definitely give it a spin.

-Brigade

Brigade on
  • Options
    DuskTwilightDuskTwilight Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Bogart wrote: »

This is true. It's bags of awesome. Get X-2 as well. It gets even more flack than X, but it's still a lot of fun.

And either buy the guide, or print one from GameFaqs. Seriously, you will miss out on a LOT of stuff otherwise.

DuskTwilight on
  • Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Personally, I love the battle system. Almost every character is useful, and that shit feels tactical. So much better than ATB and the MMO nonsense they're using now.

Also, I played it through without any guides or anything. I probably did miss stuff, but I don't feel like I did. It isn't like a lot of games these days, where you need a guide for everything.

And Blitzball was fun as hell.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    WordsmithWordsmith Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Personally, I love the battle system. Almost every character is useful, and that shit feels tactical. So much better than ATB and the MMO nonsense they're using now.

Also, I played it through without any guides or anything. I probably did miss stuff, but I don't feel like I did. It isn't like a lot of games these days, where you need a guide for everything.

And Blitzball was fun as hell.

Blitzball was a rotting sore on the nether regions of the RPG industry.

Final Fantasy X was an awesome game though! :^::^:

Wordsmith on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Blasphemy! Blitzball is the King of all fictional water-based sports!

I loved it, anyway. It just seemed as such a natural execution of a sport-jrpg hybrid. And it was always exciting finding a new player in towns.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Much of the flack the game gets has to do with the voice acting, not the game mechanics. I found it to be worth a play.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    QuintileQuintile Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I highly recommend it. FFX is one of my favorite RPGs, and I've even named one of my cats Tidus!

Dooooo it.

Quintile on
  • Options
    TingleTingle __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    A big problem for me is that the graphics don't hold up well at all, unlike some other first gen PS2 titles which are still gorgeous today like ICO.

Tingle on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Tingle wrote: »
    A big problem for me is that the graphics don't hold up well at all, unlike some other first gen PS2 titles which are still gorgeous today like ICO.

Man, what?

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    soapofdurdensoapofdurden Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    FFX is a superior game to FFXII.

Well, that's my belief.

FFXII was bleh! Don't believe all the hype!

Listen to this man. X has a better battle system, the sphere grid kicks the liscence board's ass, and it has a better story/characters (including character development). Characters you actually care about.

XII has the best writing and voice acting in any video game that I've played, but it's wasted on ho-hum characters and a very ho-hum story. Also the liscence board is fail.

[/lolopinion]

soapofdurden on
    Xbox Live: soapofdurden, Twitter!
  • Options
    QuintileQuintile Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Tingle wrote: »

The graphics look fine.. good even. I replay the game every year and I've never once thought, "this could look better". It does the job well.

Quintile on
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This game is totally meh.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    FFX is good. The blessing and also the curse is that it's too easy to make all of the characters all rounders, which is nice for customisation, but it also means that everyone becomes waay too similar past their 'base' weapon type and overdrive moves.

Kinda like FF8 in that sense. I personally do prefer the FFs with more solid 'classes', but I know a lot of people prefer the opposite so..eh. Horses for courses.

FFX does get a lot of flak from fans, but not without cause. There's lots of niggling little things; everything from the lack of a world map (while there isn't one in XII either, it feels far more disjointed in X) to really terrible voice acting adds up to get under a lot of people's skin.

I will outright say that as a huge FF fan I think that, yeah... FFX gets a lot of unfair criticizm and it is a great game. But you know what gets even more and is an even better game? FFX-2.

One of the best Job systems in the entire series, written off because it has a girly 'slumber party' atmosphere and because SE went a bit crazy on the skimpy clothes.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    FFX is good. The blessing and also the curse is that it's too easy to make all of the characters all rounders, which is nice for customisation, but it also means that everyone becomes waay too similar past their 'base' weapon type and overdrive moves.

Meh. It takes a lot of work to make Yuna and Lulu fighters. A lot of work that, probably, will never happen in a normal playthrough.

Besides, the only character that has to go into someone else's grid to not be useless is Kimarhi.
    I will outright say that as a huge FF fan I think that, yeah... FFX gets a lot of unfair criticizm and it is a great game. But you know what gets even more and is an even better game? FFX-2.

One of the best Job systems in the entire series, written off because it has a girly 'slumber party' atmosphere and because SE went a bit crazy on the skimpy clothes.

Definitely. X-2 is one of my favorites in the series, actually, which always gets me lots of funny looks and "olol play 7"s.

The skimpy clothes argument always confused me because all of five people in Spira wore clothes.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I also loved FFX. I didn't think the sphere grid was too free. Most of my characters still seemed very different, but then again I didn't do much other than the main story. The ending was one of the better endings, too.

As for X-2... I loved what I played of the battle system, but I just couldn't get into it. The mission based system was too much for me. There wasn't enough story holding it all together. I tried playing through twice, but I've yet to get past about 9 hours in.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    X is definately worth it, in battle party switching to summon Aeons is sweet and the charecters are all relatively interesting and distinct. I just played through it again recently, its loads of fun.

Great bad guys too, with insane and devious plots of absurdly contrived complexity. Just like FF villains should have.

Great cinematics too, and fantastic spell effects and animations.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Duchess ProzacDuchess Prozac Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I despised FF-X. Or rather I found the characters annoying, the voice acting shoddy, the story to be terrible. The sphere grid was overly complex imo and the desgn left little for you to actually explore.

The combat was good, though and it was very pretty.

Still at that price point, it's still worth giving a shot.

Duchess Prozac on
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    X is great, but the voice acting is horrible and the story is painfully stupid, it's like a stream-of-consciousness story written by a D&D geek on acid. It's worth playing, but don't be surprised if you get near the end and just can't be bothered to finish.

Regardless of the little things, X is a hell of a lot better than XII. XII is all flash and high-production value, but the game has no soul.

supabeast on
  • Options
    booblet0booblet0 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I love both X and XII. They're completely different games.

booblet0 on
  • Options
    SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Never played 12, but 10 was, in my opinion, amazing. I bought it the day it came out and played the hell out of it everyday. It took me months to really do everything I could do so it was a lengthy and enjoyable experience except for when you fight
    lady yunalesca

And when you revisit Zanarkand is awesome.

Sanius on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    booblet0 wrote: »
    I love both X and XII. They're completely different games.

Lies. They're very similar in many, many ways, and are both a part of the same franchise. We must compare them, and choose.

We must!

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Final Fantasy X is like playing a movie. I hated that about it. I'd get locked in cutscene after cutscene for nearly 30 minutes to an hour, just itching to get back to what passed as "Gameplay", and then after that was finally done I'd be locked into repetitive random battles where I mash "attack" for 30 minutes to an hour just wanting to get back to the story. It was pain.

Final Fantasy XII had less story, but that also meant less grueling cutscenes and pointless dialog. Less fluff, more to the point. The gameplay was a lot better too. I was skeptical about the gambit system, but in the end I loved it. My one gripe is that you can't set up the more complex gambits until near the end of the game (charge when MP < 10% for example), but oh well.

Personally I place FFXII above FFX as being the better game. FFX was more like a movie you played, and hardly like a game at all.

Namrok on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The best thing about FFX is the final battle music. It's almost worth playing exclusively to hear Otherworld.

Beyond that, it's not really anything special to me. Not a bad game by any sense, just nothing particularly epic in my opinion. The battles are fun, and it has good music.

I also liked the voice acting.

X-2 is more of the same, just a sillier plot and with the same fun gameplay. It's still worth playing if you even liked X just a little.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I absolutely loved the battle system. You could see what affect your haste spell was going to have on the battle order. It's a lot like Xenosaga I in that regard (I forget which came first though I suspect it was FFX) so if you liked Xenosaga's battle system, you'll like FFX's.

If you've got the right party, it's completely possible in both games to slaughter enemies without them even getting a turn.

Also, having direct control over summons was nice.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    jclast wrote: »
    I absolutely loved the battle system. You could see what affect your haste spell was going to have on the battle order. It's a lot like Xenosaga I in that regard (I forget which came first though I suspect it was FFX) so if you liked Xenosaga's battle system, you'll like FFX's.

If you've got the right party, it's completely possible in both games to slaughter enemies without them even getting a turn.

Also, having direct control over summons was nice.
    FFX came first, but comparing the two battle systems is a folly. Know that I love both games equally, and each has their place, but the two games have nearly completely different battle systems (as stocks and boosting from Xenosaga change the mechanics and tactics of the battle.) FFX was--as someone here has already pointed out--very tactical in its execution until you start to reach the end, where your characters began to reach the end of their particular sphere grid section and you branch out into others. But that's when you can have some real fun with your builds, such as taking Wakka down Auron's route to have him be super-accurate and incredibly strong, or taking Rikku through Tidus's route to make her so fast she'll have a turn every other person. And in that beginning, you really think about who you are using for each kind of monster. You've Wakka for the flyers, Tidus for the random beasts, Auron for the armored enemies, Yuna for healing, Rikku for things like stealing and item use, Lulu for casting against the fiends only susceptible to magic, and Khimari for... wait, what was Khimari for?

FFX-2 requires your strict attention as well. Best job-system game out there, nice light and fluffy story, and a battle system that actually makes choosing when to attack a strategy. Have your characters hit in quick succession--we're talking split seconds here--and build up more and more damage, or save your attack until the enemy is casting a spell or skill and interrupt that person, giving your healer that extra second they needed to whip out a hi-potion.

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Khimari was for hilariously ineffective self-sacrifice. And White Wind, I suppose.

He could do that, right?

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    He had some good physical attacks when I used him. Nothing devastating, but good for a backup.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Khimari was for blue magic.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    X has possibly the least ridiculous, rubbishy plot out of any FF (bearing in mind that I haven't played XII yet).
    It is generally a great game.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    FFX's voice acting is not horrible. Go play Baten Kaitos and tell me that a FF game has bad voice acting.

Anyway, FFX is a good game. I also liked it better than FFXII, particularly the combat system. FFX-2 has a ditzy plot but it's still a fun game, at least worth a playthrough.

Zek on
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    FFXII is pretty unforgiving. I'll get stuck somewhere and realize "Oh I can't just random battle and level up I'm going to have to start over". That's only because I had room for only one save though. Fucking bullshit.

FFX however is amazing. It's full of awesome battles and awesome characters. Collecting primers is amazing.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    FFX's voice acting is not horrible. Go play Baten Kaitos and tell me that a FF game has bad voice acting.

And then Magna Carta.

Especially Magna Carta.

It's like they weren't even trying.
    Alright! Let's bust some HEADS!

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »

And then Magna Carta.

Especially Magna Carta.

It's like they weren't even trying.
    Alright! Let's bust some HEADS!

Magna Carta was really bad but the voice acting in it wasn't nearly as bad as the battle system. couldnt finish that turd.

Zek is right. No game ever made even comes close to how bad Baten Kaitos was. FFX by comparison should have won an Oscar.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have mixed feelings about FFX-2. On one hand, you have one of the best (non S) RPG battle systems out there, but on the other, it feels like they were trying to undo every other good thing about the original's world and characters. Yuna, the shy priestess, turns into fucking Paris Hilton. Lulu, the sexy, mysterious mage, turns into a stay at home mom. The plot was also uninteresting and really undid the powerful finale of the original in a lot of ways too. So bah overall, I guess.

Darlan on
  • Options
    DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    X is pretty good. A bit too linear to warrant a second playthrough, and the "side quests" are pretty dumb, but it's definitly worth picking up and playing through once.

X-2 is worth trying out at least. It's a great game in it's own right, however the storyline makes you feel like your watching some rejected barbies cartoon from the 80s and is a little hard to swallow.

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Magna Carta was a beautiful game visually and musically... if only the story didn't have me all kinds of confused, and it didn't suffer from the worst localization of all time.
    Tears of Blooooooooooooooood

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png