As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Boardgames schedule for PAX Aus - what are you looking forward to?

melissainaumelissainau PAX Aus Tabletop Manager Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
Hi PAXers,

The TableTop Freeplay and Tournaments areas in the Big Top are going to be buzzing.

We have HEAPS of great games in the freeplay library for PAX Australia - at last count, around 348 games with over 300 unique titles. I'm pretty confident that there will be something for everyone, but that's not necessarily a challenge.

You do not have to come to an event or play in tournaments; the Freeplay library will be available all weekend.

But if you do want to come to an event, here's the overview.

TALKS
Sat 6:30PM - "Indie Board Games: Making your own Tabletop Games" - in Skippy. After the panel, the designers will lead you BACK to the Big Top to try their games.
Sat 10PM - "Going Cardboard" board game documentary
Sun 3:30Pm - "The Playful Library" - panel discussing boardgames in libraries

TOURNAMENTS
Tournament times are:
Puerto Rico: Qualifiers Friday 11am, 4pm; Saturday 12pm, 6pm; FINAL Sunday 4pm (Note that this overlaps with the Agricola final; you will not be able to play in both)
Agricola: Qualifiers Friday 2pm, 8pm; Saturday 11am, 6pm; FINAL Sunday 2pm (Note that this is wrongly in the Guidebook as running for 1 hour)
Dominion: Qualifiers Friday 12pm, 6pm; Saturday 2pm, 8pm; FINAL Sunday 11am
Robo Rally (1 session): Saturday, 7-10pm
X-wing (1 session): Saturday 8-10pm; Sunday 11-1pm (please BYO games).

We're also running "A Game of Games" all weekend - earn points by playing pretty much anything from the Tabletop library. (It was going to be "anything" but then I bought Finger Twister ...). See the registration desk for information about how this works.

EVENTS
Come along to play, learn or teach. You do not need to have tried a game before to play it here.
Friday
12-2 Carcassonne-a-thon
4-6 The Very Big Small World Event
6-8 Turn out the lights! It's Power Grid time!
8-10 Munchkin Munchkin Munchkin!

Saturday
11-1 Family Game time!
2-4 Waterdeep just got deeper – Lords of Waterdeep AND preview the new Scoundrels of Skullport Expansion
4-6 Catan Mania!
6-8 Munchkin
8-10 Party Game-a-palooza

Sunday
11-1 Tickets across the World – Ticket to Ride event
1-3 Munchkin
2-4 An Epidemic of Pandemic!
4-6 Bring your braaaainsssssssss: Play Zombie games!

MASSIVE THANKS to LXG in Queensland, CGS in Canberra, Boardgames Australia and Eurogamesfest in Melbourne, who have lent us games from their libraries, as well as several Enforcers who have done likewise.

And other MASSIVE THANKS to these companies who have donated games to help us build our OWN library:
Asmadi Games
Days of Wonder
Fantasy Flight Games
Game Salute
Good Games
Looney Labs
Mattel
MilSims Melbourne
North Star Games
Plaid Hat Games
Treefrog (Martin Wallace)
Wattsalpoag

• Options
    Drayven_DarkoDrayven_Darko Canberra, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I'm probably going to spend most of PAX hanging out in Tabletop land trying to get through as much of the library as I can (possibly excluding games I'm already familiar with). I'm particularly interested in seeing how the D&D reimagining of Clue(do) plays. If it's just a case of 'the dwarf, in the tavern, with the warhammer' I'll be a little disappointed, but hopefully they've had a little more fun with it than that.

Something I'm curious about: What happens to the donated games after PAX?

"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to 'Sparkle Motion'."
  • Options
    tokyodovetokyodove Perth, WARegistered User regular
    are you able to put a list up of what games are available?

• Options
    KaneskiKaneski Registered User regular
    I dare say it will probably be long and distinguished...

• Options
    melissainaumelissainau PAX Aus Tabletop Manager Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    @Drayven_Darko - the games that are owned by PAX go into storage for NEXT year's PAX (and all the ones after that too). That's about 100 games, but maybe only 80 or so titles as we have multiples for tournaments etc. D&D Clue(do) is essentially just a retheme, but it looks as though there may be some extra cards as well. And there are cool minis to play with.

@tokyodove and @Kaneski ... I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you spoil the suspense. (Hint: The events are clues to at least some of them). Are there any specific games you are hoping for?

Looking at things I have already Tweeted ... we have
    • Wits and Wagers (Regular, Party and Family editions)
    • Say Anything
    • Clubs
    • Crappy Birthday
    • Small World
    • Cargo Noir
    • Ticket to Ride
    • Ticket to Ride: Europe
    • Shadows over Camelot
    • Shadows over Camelot cardgame
    • Desert Bazaar
    • Sour Apples to Apples
    • Parrot Pile-up
    • Pictionary Man
    • Uno Attack
    • Skip-Bo
    • Pictionary cardgame
    • Blink
    • Phase 10
    • Greedy Gator
    • Fruit Ninja cardgame
    • Apples to Apples dice game
    • Uno dice game
    • Skip-bo dice game
    • Fluxx varieties: Oz, Monty Python, Zombie, eco, Cthulhu and others
    • Fluxx board game
    • Chrononauts
    • Are you a werewolf?
    • Are you the traitor?
    • Aquarius
    • Seven Dragons
    • Various Treehouse games (pink, red, green, blue?)
    • Elder Sign
    • Arkham Horror
    • Wiz-War
    • A Game of Thrones: The Card game
    • Battlestar Galactica
    • Ingenious
    • Mansions of Madness
    • Channel A
    • We didn't playtest this (x3 versions)
    • Win, lose, or banana!
    • Finger Twister
    • Bowling zombies
    • Guildhall
    • Clue: Dungeons and Dragons
    • Risk: Legacy
    • Munchkin, 5 assorted
    • Guildhall
    • Zombie dice
    • Martian dice
    • P.I.
    • Dr Who: The Card Game
    • A Study in Emerald (pre-production copy)
    and those are just SOME of the games we have!

I hope something there sounds good - if not, let me know what you are hoping to see.

melissainau on
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I should stress: Those are PAX-owned games. Other games include Acquire, Ra, Puerto Rico, right through to much more recent stuff coughEclipsecoughTerraMysticacough.

melissainau on
  • Options
    troubleshootertroubleshooter Registered User regular
    Eclipse! Sweet! Won't have to bring my copy. I was planning on running an Eclipse game on Saturday.
    Are we able to make a booking on a game? Is that a thing?

• Options
    @troubleshooter, it's not a thing yet. It's possible that it might become one - we're still working out what we can & can't thing. If you'll be there Friday, come by later in the day (I should be there from 6, maybe as early as 5) and I'll see whether it's something we could do. Otherwise, just come in early Saturday, say by 10:30.

Do you have a group to play with or are you looking for extras? Our "need more players" hashtag is #ttlfg (Tiny Tyrannosaurs Like Flying Gerbils) - remember it well!

• Options
    troubleshootertroubleshooter Registered User regular
    Cool, melissainau, I'll be spending most of my time in TT land, so I'll introduce myself. I have two other players keen for some Eclipse and I'll be spruiking it at Games Laboratory on Thursday to try and get a full compliment for our game on Saturday. Shouldn't be hard.
    Thanks for the info.

Also, will you have Dixit or Tsuro in the collection?

• Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    Is it just me or does the Guidebook app schedule contain some stuff that isn't on the "official" site schedule? Personally I'm pretty excited to rock up to the 'Learn to play' sessions for Warhammer 40k. I assume if I just wander over to the tabletop area it'll be obvious where to find it?

• Options
    @troubleshooter we have both Dixit (Odyssey) and Tsuro in the collection. Hooray!

@exis the TT events are not generally listed on the website, only in the Guidebook app. I gather it's because we have so much going on - even the ones I listed above are only the ones running out of the library area :) If you're coming to a specific session, try to be a bit early - and if you're feeling lost, come to TableTop HQ and we'll help you find the 40k sessions.

• Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    Thanks @melissainau, I'll definitely be poking around and seeing what I can get involved in.

• Options
    KaneskiKaneski Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Thanks @melissainau Good stuff. I've been in murder-plotting mood since this past saturday...

@troubleshooter I've got a couple of players for your Eclipse plans. They won't be in on Thursday, but I will - will say hi, will moan about Eclipse a little and we can figure out how to put you and my friends in touch on PAX day. BTW, this made me giggle, so you might enjoy it too. Go to 28:50 :) To head off any argument - it's entertaining, nothing more.

Kaneski on
  • Options
    Hope you all had as much fun as we did!

This discussion has been closed.